REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #2651
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I still can't believe some people are willing to vote for the Cons, how can the complete and utter failure of their leadership in Alberta not be a clear sign to not vote these asshats into power?

You're telling me the gun registry/AR-15s are more of a salient point than that of a province (Alberta) once again pushed into a total and complete lockdown?

The Conservatives are garbage, how are people being fooled into believing they know how to govern? The very fundamentals of conservatism is the absence of government, and the demolishing of such -- it is an ideology completely antithetical to governance.

How many examples of that both in Canada and worldwide does one need to see that?

I'm perplexed here.
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
the sad thing, even though we are all over the political spectrum in here, is that no matter who gets elected LIB,CPC,NDP....canada is going down a bad direction with identity politics and division....with social media just getting bigger, the divide will be huge and used for political gains from any party.
This is a problem not only in Canada, but worldwide.

I feel it's less a political thing than that of an ideological issue, exacerbated by the internet in itself.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #2653
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,325 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I still can't believe some people are willing to vote for the Cons, how can the complete and utter failure of their leadership in Alberta not be a clear sign to not vote these asshats into power?

You're telling me the gun registry/AR-15s are more of a salient point than that of a province (Alberta) once again pushed into a total and complete lockdown?

The Conservatives are garbage, how are people being fooled into believing they know how to govern? The very fundamentals of conservatism is the absence of government, and the demolishing of such -- it is an ideology completely antithetical to governance.

How many examples of that both in Canada and worldwide does one need to see that?

I'm perplexed here.
You do realize Federal and Provincial politics are different right? You are blaming the cons in Alberta when is has nothing to do with the this federal election just like the NDP here has nothing to do with it...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #2654
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:

I'm perplexed here.
The trajectory of covid response has already been set federally imo. Regardless of who gets power the actions taken aren’t going to change that much in all likelihood. Given the red flag coming out of Alberta I wouldn’t count on O’toole changing the approach much as the last thing they would want is huge swings in cases and needless deaths.

Eventually though, you’re going to have to live with the situation. If you’re willing to open borders and allow people to visit for tourism etc. You can’t keep locking down things and pandering to the unvaccinated. People need to start getting on with their lives and businesses and if that’s at the cost of an unvaccinated persons life then so be it.

With all that said the only real way to go about that is the passport I suppose
Old 09-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #2655
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Jesus christ reading this thread do some people seriously think Justin Trudeau invented identity politics? Does he personally piss in your cereal every morning and fuck your sister too?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #2656
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I didn’t get that from tegras post if that’s what your alluding to, but yeah seen it plenty from others. If he did mean that I revoke my agreement lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #2657
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 405 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:

I'm perplexed here.

Probably the same way people were fooled in to believing that the budget will balance itself lol

Just finished listening to the PPC DefundTheCBC rally live on youtube lol These people are clowns. I'm only watching this for the troll comments which are great
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #2658
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Failed 37 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
I don't think it's more of a salient point but it does resonate with gun owners.

The legal hoops you have to jump through to own guns in Canada is quite stringent. Pre coivd and even during covid the majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns and they are typically brought in through the states.

It's a hot topic for gun owners, atleast in my view, because they are being punished for being law abiding citizens.

Imagine spending thousands of dollars on a hobby and then being told that you can't enjoy it anymore.

The liberal party found a scape goat for the masses by targeting legal gun owners stating that its going to reduce gun/gang violence.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #2659

The gun thing is a non-issue for me really even as a gun owner/hunter

However, the removal of mandatory minimums for gun crime is assanine and again just punishes legal owners in the long term. In the US thread I mentioned that there were so many guns in the states it was hard to put in any effective measures and that was always met with the same “well it’s too much of a problem so I guess don’t do anything!!” Retort

I think law abiding gun owners would be all for mandatory minimums when you catch a criminal with an illegal firearm obviously meant to be used in a crime. But then the liberal crowd somehow spins that into mandatory minimums don’t work snd we need rehabilitation etc!!!

You don’t think that if there were mandatory minimums for gun crime that it would be drastically effected? The guy shooting at cops in delta the other day is a prime example. You’re caught with an illegal firearm you have no right to own or hold? You’re going away for 5 years with no chance of parole period. I’m pretty sure that would get the message through. But rather than that the liberals are throwing multi-billion dollars back into a gun buy-back program targeting law abiding citizens? It makes zero sense and will not make anyone safer.

On 980 today they were talking to a cop who just caught a guy who was on a BC wide felony warrant for burglary and theft. When they caught him red handed literally smashing a store front in yet another robbery they found:

Knives
Bear mace
A replica handgun
Meth
Fentynal
Crack

On him..you know this guy is gonna be out next week! It’s fucking insane. Law abiding people just holding their breathe hoping their families aren’t effected by career criminals like this. It’s fucking crazy
Old 09-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #2660
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The gun thing is a non-issue for me really even as a gun owner/hunter

However, the removal of mandatory minimums for gun crime is assanine and again just punishes legal owners in the long term. In the US thread I mentioned that there were so many guns in the states it was hard to put in any effective measures and that was always met with the same “well it’s too much of a problem so I guess don’t do anything!!” Retort

I think law abiding gun owners would be all for mandatory minimums when you catch a criminal with an illegal firearm obviously meant to be used in a crime. But then the liberal crowd somehow spins that into mandatory minimums don’t work snd we need rehabilitation etc!!!

You don’t think that if there were mandatory minimums for gun crime that it would be drastically effected? The guy shooting at cops in delta the other day is a prime example. You’re caught with an illegal firearm you have no right to own or hold? You’re going away for 5 years with no chance of parole period. I’m pretty sure that would get the message through. But rather than that the liberals are throwing multi-billion dollars back into a gun buy-back program targeting law abiding citizens? It makes zero sense and will not make anyone safer.

On 980 today they were talking to a cop who just caught a guy who was on a BC wide felony warrant for burglary and theft. When they caught him red handed literally smashing a store front in yet another robbery they found:

Knives
Bear mace
A replica handgun
Meth
Fentynal
Crack

On him..you know this guy is gonna be out next week! It’s fucking insane. Law abiding people just holding their breathe hoping their families aren’t effected by career criminals like this. It’s fucking crazy
Hes probably out already.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #2661
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
The legal hoops you have to jump through to own guns in Canada is quite stringent.
Sitting in a room for a couple hours, doing two quick tests and sending in a form is stringent?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #2662

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Sitting in a room for a couple hours, doing two quick tests and sending in a form is stringent?
We had a class in high school called outdoor education. You did the written part and the gun handling part in school. Very easy.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #2663
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They do background checks and call references as well as look at your history for criminality.

If anything I'd happily support even more stringent background checks.

Also passing the course and sending in papers doesn't guarantee a license.

Last edited by T4RAWR; 09-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #2664

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You do realize Federal and Provincial politics are different right? You are blaming the cons in Alberta when is has nothing to do with the this federal election just like the NDP here has nothing to do with it...
No, I post in a political thread without having any idea the nuances between the provincial and federal parties.

If you really think the provincial Cons in AB are much different from the federal version of the party, I don't know what to tell you.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #2665
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,199 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
the sad thing, even though we are all over the political spectrum in here, is that no matter who gets elected LIB,CPC,NDP....canada is going down a bad direction with identity politics and division....with social media just getting bigger, the divide will be huge and used for political gains from any party.
We're seeing it in this very thread, making it easy to compare the discourse we usually have on a forum like this to the bullshit people come across on Facebook. Some of us stick to this old method of social media, most have abandoned it for memes.

And no we're not perfect arguing back and forth, but at least there's a CHANCE we can learn from each others' points of views. I may not agree with someone about something, but at least I know they're coming from somewhere other than just being a shitter.

There are people who do both, and just regurgitate the memes they see on facebook and twitter, and you can spot them easily. For me it's easier to just dismiss them or just let other people argue with them. To me there's no point. The last example was the "QR codes are tracking you" thread.. I was about to just say whatever, no point in arguing, but thankfully some other people came in with more info. That is a perfect example of long form forums being better than twitter and facebook.

I never really go to facebook, but I do keep an eye on it from time to time. I have an old high school friend that I guarantee went down the same or similar rabbit hole as murdoc. Dude was always going to be on the conservative side, his family are farmers and he's a trucker. But I don't think he'd have gone this nutty without the help of shitty memes.

He posts shit like this constantly

And stuff about "identity politics" as if that ever affects him, or wearing masks, shit like that. 10 years ago, he might have argued with us about it, but his source of info might have been talk radio a couple hours a day. But now, he's inundated with this bullshit, and it's taken over as his source of information. It's so weird, and I think it's only going to get worse.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #2666

I think the tone and the lead up to this election from everywhere just underlines how poignant Annamie Paul’s pleading with the other leaders to work together was and remains to be
Old 09-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #2667
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
I listened to this on spotify, but the youtube video is more easily accessible and worth watching:

A lot of good points made, and refreshing to hear ie: questioning the reasons for holding the election, the framing of the debates focusing on climate change and reconciliation during a expensive economically crippling pandemic, the unchecked governance and spending, the ridiculous platitudes of land acknowledgments and flags at half mast for over a month rather than real fixable solutions like the decades old problems of providing drinking water, the seemingly dominant problem of limiting and narrowing of discussion, etc.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:06 PM   #2668

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I listened to this on spotify, but the youtube video is more easily accessible and worth watching:
https://youtu.be/C3mZn5nimaU
isn't that guy a crackhead who almost died of covid when in Europe made worse because of an all-meat diet?

Didn't he also move to the states then to Europe finally crawling back to Canada? because you know, it's the best country in the world.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:15 AM   #2669
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Peterson always based in Canada? even when he'd work abroad... I don't see why being well traveled is a dis?

He kind of disappeared from the limelight, your comment made me look into it, damn he's had a rough year!
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:10 AM   #2670
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,199 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
There's plenty enough to criticize Peterson on, without resorting to his drug addiction... I almost bought into his BS when he first started showing up on Rogan... But then the more I heard him speak, the more it sounded like pure bullshit. If I was younger I would have probably been more susceptible.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #2671
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,290 Times in 2,057 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Don't pay attention to Peterson ... listen to Rex Murphy ... yes, he's an old washed up gizzer. But hard to disagree:
1. Maybe a Lib minority results ... WTH is this all about?
2. $>600M wasted.
3. Exposed so many to Covid through the campaign, election process, etc. (I didn't even think of that).

Vote JT's entitled egotistical ass out just for these things alone.

Just the thought of a Lib minority and having to put up with his patronizing pressers is making my stomach churn.

Last edited by whitev70r; 09-17-2021 at 06:29 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #2672

This is a real question for the liberal supporters

Flashing back to the end of the Harper years, and looking at where we are at today, What's Improved? Honestly
Old 09-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #2673

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
What's Improved? Honestly
That I'm not considered a criminal for growing & smoking weed. Which is something I know that you now enjoy the liberties of as well.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #2674
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
This is a real question for the liberal supporters

Flashing back to the end of the Harper years, and looking at where we are at today, What's Improved? Honestly
I can give a few examples that are close to me through my work:

Harper closed Coast Guard bases and slashed environmental programs for parks across the country, Liberals gave Coast Guard crazy amounts of funding for new ships that now patrol and protect our northern regions, reopened previously closed bases and put tonnes of parks and forested areas under protection.

Lots of funding to fish and salmon protection efforts in B.C.

A new voice to scientists that they had taken away from them by the previous administration.

Renewed trust of the public service in general after Harper refused to negotiate new contracts and left everyone hanging with no pay after bringing in the disastrous Phoenix pay system.

Those are a few I can think of close to my home anyway.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #2675

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Coast guard stations reopened (thats a big deal. Closing them was ridiculous and put lives at risk)
Weed is legal
More money and laws dedicated to environmental protection (not even close to enough but far better than harper)
The dollar has increased about 15c since it's absolute destruction at the end of Harper's run (external factors were at play of course)
Look at this chart. This is FUCKING IMPORTANT

Appointment of non partisan members to senate
The kept promise to not allow reopening of the abortion debate (harper allowed this from his MPs and so will o'toole)
Harper campaigned on reopening the vote to repeal the legality of same sex marriage (quite frankly this is fucking despicable)
40000 Syrian refugees welcomed into our country. I'm sure people will be on both sides of the coin with this, but it's pretty funny that the people that put this on the "bad side" are also using the human rights of afghan interpreters that were left behind to criticize Trudeau, even though they don't want refugees from the Middle East here.
On the same token, what's worse?
We know identity politics is plaguing the country (I think its reasonable to say thats a worldwide problem)
Inflation (a combination of fiscal policies involving CERB and the pandemic, idiots spending all of their money at amazon instead of local stores, low interest rates, and worldwide inequality rising. It's certainly not a Canadian problem exclusively)
Ethics scandals (100% Trudeau and Liberal failure)

As a straight, white, middle class male, the negatives of harper may have been easy to not acknowledge, but you know, Canada isn't just us.

Do I think Trudeau has lived up to expectations? Absolutely not. Am I happier with his performance in comparison to harper. Absolutely. Do I think any party will enact meaningful positive change in the next term? Libs, maybe slightly. Cons, absolutely there will be negative changes. Everyone else? In a hypothetical world where NDP could have power? Fiscally? I'm not sure about for me. Maybe for those with lower income. Environmentally, absolutely.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: