REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #2801
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
As I said earlier, 980 has some left leaning hosts, they’ve had political analysts on all day. Every single person has gone on to say what a waste of money this was.

These are literally people whose job it is to discuss and analyze these things.

The host right now broke down the costs as a yearly salary for 13,000 teachers or 5000 police officers.

Whether it’s my opinion or not, this is what is being said. It wasn’t a failed opportunity for the cons to get a minority, it was a failed grasp by the liberals to get a majority.
Advertisement

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-21-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #2802
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
people upset about spending 600 million. Kenny wasted 1.5 billion on Keystone XL a pipeline Biden said would never be built.

https://www.sprawlalberta.com/how-al...on-keystone-xl

Quote:
Alberta was ready to provide even more than $1.5B

When the UCP took office in Alberta in 2019, the Keystone XL expansion was stalled. Trump’s approval of the project was blocked by a U.S. federal judge in 2018 who ordered a new environmental review. Trump then issued a new presidential permit in 2019, expediting that process, which environmentalists decried as illegal.

This is when Kenney put Alberta’s money on the table.

In addition to the $1.5 billion investment, Alberta also announced it would provide loan guarantees worth $6 billion beginning in 2021—a particularly significant form of support given the amount of risk the province was taking on regarding those loans.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #2803
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Feel free to argue, but isn't it only "wasteful" in hindsight, because very little has changed?

If liberals had gotten their majority, or the cons unseated the liberals, or the PPC wins a seat, nobody would have been calling this election wasteful.

And like others have said, such is the 'cost' for democracy. The system was set up like that, and it's worked as designed. Also like others have said, that money is staying in Canada to pay for locales and the thousands of people that worked the polls, it's not like 600M vanished into some offshore account.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #2804
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Well yea, that’s how gambling works. When you gamble X amount and lose, of course it ends up not being worth it… lol
Old 09-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #2805
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,199 Times in 1,976 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
As I said earlier, 980 has some left leaning hosts, they’ve had political analysts on all day. Every single person has gone on to say what a waste of money this was.

These are literally people whose job it is to discuss and analyze these things.

The host right now broke down the costs as a yearly salary for 13,000 teachers or 5000 police officers.

Whether it’s my opinion or not, this is what is being said. It wasn’t a failed opportunity for the cons to get a minority, it was a failed grasp by the liberals to get a majority.
Police officers and teachers are paid out of provincial budgets, not federal. So that's a moot point.

Besides as 68 said, anyone can sit on their soapbox and say "it was a waste of time", they're only saying that because nothing changed. The Cons and PC did not convince Canadians to see in their favor, plain and simple.

This wasn't some whatever election either.

We've never experienced anything like COVID before, the decisions made during this pandemic have been EXTREMELY polarizing and unprecedented. If anything, was a perfect time to hold an election in order to present a public referendum on how this government has handled the pandemic in itself, the decisions they've made whether good or bad, and to be held accountable for them.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #2806
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Feel free to argue, but isn't it only "wasteful" in hindsight, because very little has changed?
I know exactly what you saying. But I still feel that we didn't NEED the election right now. And I'm not saying that because of how I feel about the results. I think our parliament, with a minority gov't, was functioning as designed to and so this wasn't at all necessary right now, especially during the pandemic. It wasn't like we had a non-confidence vote or anything like that, and things had ground to a halt.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #2807
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,201 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Nice time to appreciate CBC News

This might explain why so many people, even here, are saying stuff like "Trudeau purposefully did this to gain himself more seats". It's a talking point that gets repeated everywhere except very few places.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #2808
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
[Toronto chiming in]Ironic how the Toronto Star endorses the Liberals but all their articles often blast the Liberals and often with a Conservative slant . Nevermind the fact that their colour scheme is blue as well haha
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #2809
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
How in the fuck can anyone say this was a "wasteful" election?
Because as has been repeated all over the place: no one wanted it right now. JT needs to go but this was absolutely not the time to do it. JT promised he wouldn't call an election during the pandemic then thought he could secure more power and snapped it with as little notice as legally possible. The Liberals didn't even have a platform for the election they called until the cycle was half over. Voter turn out may be a historic low at only 58.5% (vice 67% in 2019) and there have been growing complaints of people unable to vote due to closed or inaccessible polling stations. Terrible timing and circumstance, no one wanted it, no one really cares about the result, and it accomplished nothing for anyone. That's a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nice time to appreciate CBC News
This might explain why so many people, even here, are saying stuff like "Trudeau purposefully did this to gain himself more seats". It's a talking point that gets repeated everywhere except very few places.
You can't be serious with this. Appreciate what? CBC is the most blatantly Liberal-sucking network on TV and even they were saying this was a waste and a failed attempt to gain more power during the 10 mins I had it on over breakfast. The talking point gets repeated everywhere because it's true. Why would he call an election two years earlier than needed if not to try and take advantage of the situation and gain more seats? That's EXACTLY why he did it. He hypocritically called it in the midst of the fourth wave of the pandemic and during the fall of Afghanistan and subsequent humanitarian crisis, two exponentially more important problems to focus on instead of dissolving parliament so he could feed his own ego - and even the Liberal CBC has been ripping him for it. How convenient they're left off your graphic....

General comment: Shame JT broke his promise on electoral reform, we'd have a very different political landscape from 2015. The Liberals would have lost 5 of the last 6 elections to the Conservatives if done by proportional representation, including this one. Given voter turnout and loss of the popular vote again he won with only 18.6% of the eligible Canadian population voting Liberal. Not even 1/5 of the country, that's brutal 'support'. I feel like the NDP gets ripped off with the lack of representation as well. Our system is antiquated (though the US is far worse) and we've needed reform for a long time. The elections are always called before the polls even close in the west. 107 seats from BC-MB including YT-NU, and 231 from ON to the East Coast. At minimum seats need to be pulled from Atlantic Canada and Quebec and moved to BC/AB based on populous. For example: Quebec has 78 seats with a pop of 8.4X million (and a separatist federal party which is another topic), AB and BC combined have 9.3X million and only 76 seats in parliament. Atlantic Canada has a population of 2.4X million and is grossly over-represented in Parliament with 32 seats, AB has almost double the population with 4.3X million and only two more seats with 34. NT has approx 250,000 residents and one MP, by that math Atlantic Canada should only have 10 seats. I don't care where you're from or what your political affiliation is but we all have to see that that's not right. The Western provinces and Territories need more weight in Parliament.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #2810
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
wasteful regardless of who would've won

any real reason why they had to force it within 35 days of calling it? there was one debate in english...this was the lowest turn-out since last recession

federal vs provincial: so if someone in your household is struggling hard financially you can blow money on unnecessary tasks like repainting the house in the slightly different hue just done maybe 20 months ago? it was for our home, it was spent internally.

should we put up a bunch of nice bus stops in the middle of 3 road again then demolish them few years later, rinse and repeat, because jawbs?

i take it elections canada work is temporary like census ones, not long term

we already paid dearly for the cost of democracy fighting fascists in world conflicts
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #2811
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
What is the purpose of election signs?

Is there something that clicks in a persons head when they drive by 20 of the same sign on a corner?

Does a person interrupt their day and go to the polling station and say I saw this sign disturbing the landscape I’m voting for “x”.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #2812
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,201 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Because as has been repeated all over the place: no one wanted it right now. JT needs to go but this was absolutely not the time to do it. JT promised he wouldn't call an election during the pandemic then thought he could secure more power and snapped it with as little notice as legally possible. The Liberals didn't even have a platform for the election they called until the cycle was half over. Voter turn out may be a historic low at only 58.5% (vice 67% in 2019) and there have been growing complaints of people unable to vote due to closed or inaccessible polling stations. Terrible timing and circumstance, no one wanted it, no one really cares about the result, and it accomplished nothing for anyone. That's a waste.

You can't be serious with this. Appreciate what? CBC is the most blatantly Liberal-sucking network on TV and even they were saying this was a waste and a failed attempt to gain more power during the 10 mins I had it on over breakfast. The talking point gets repeated everywhere because it's true. Why would he call an election two years earlier than needed if not to try and take advantage of the situation and gain more seats? That's EXACTLY why he did it. He hypocritically called it in the midst of the fourth wave of the pandemic and during the fall of Afghanistan and subsequent humanitarian crisis, two exponentially more important problems to focus on instead of dissolving parliament so he could feed his own ego - and even the Liberal CBC has been ripping him for it. How convenient they're left off your graphic....

General comment: Shame JT broke his promise on electoral reform, we'd have a very different political landscape from 2015. The Liberals would have lost 5 of the last 6 elections to the Conservatives if done by proportional representation, including this one. Given voter turnout and loss of the popular vote again he won with only 18.6% of the eligible Canadian population voting Liberal. Not even 1/5 of the country, that's brutal 'support'. I feel like the NDP gets ripped off with the lack of representation as well. Our system is antiquated (though the US is far worse) and we've needed reform for a long time. The elections are always called before the polls even close in the west. 107 seats from BC-MB including YT-NU, and 231 from ON to the East Coast. At minimum seats need to be pulled from Atlantic Canada and Quebec and moved to BC/AB based on populous. For example: Quebec has 78 seats with a pop of 8.4X million (and a separatist federal party which is another topic), AB and BC combined have 9.3X million and only 76 seats in parliament. Atlantic Canada has a population of 2.4X million and is grossly over-represented in Parliament with 32 seats, AB has almost double the population with 4.3X million and only two more seats with 34. NT has approx 250,000 residents and one MP, by that math Atlantic Canada should only have 10 seats. I don't care where you're from or what your political affiliation is but we all have to see that that's not right. The Western provinces and Territories need more weight in Parliament.
CBC is liberal (not Liberal) because it reflects the population, and Canada is very very liberal. Aside from the weirdos who live with the cows and oil and want to turn Canada into America Jr., even conservative (not Conservative) Canadians are quite liberal.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #2813
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
How convenient they're left off your graphic....
Well I mean the graphic is for newspapers, it doesn't include television and radio nor magazines
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #2814
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
“Trudope needs to be hanged for treason! Get him out of office! He’s taking our rights away for a made up pandemic!”
“NOOOOO you can’t hold a $600million election in the middle of a pandemic! Your putting lives at risk! Parliament was working just fine!”
- the same person
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #2815
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
C'mon man, you lumping those who critique the Libs for spending $600M with the ultra right wing wackos who thinks Trudeau committed treason ... there are legit basis for the critique of calling an election for no reason or purpose. It's this kind of polar characterization that gets us closer to the US. C'mon westopher, you're better than that and you're more intelligent than that.

Look, one thing I do appreciate about Canadian politics is that for the most part, the moderate middle base (which I like to think of myself) has voted NDP, Cons, and Libs in various elections in the past. I'm not married to one political party or ideology. At this moment, I'm just sick of JT and would be willing to give yes ... even O'Toole a crack at it. Doesn't make me in the camp of those who thinks JT committed treason. But more of these posts and it does make me wonder if you are considering taking out a membership with Antifa group.

Last edited by whitev70r; 09-23-2021 at 06:57 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #2816
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
I've been seeing more n more cars with "fuck trudeau" bumper stickers on em

Normally only see em when I drive out towards abby etc, but I saw a couple in coquitlam this weekend
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #2817

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
C'mon man, you lumping those who critique the Libs for spending $600M with the ultra right wing wackos who thinks Trudeau committed treason ... there are legit basis for the critique of calling a reason for no purpose. It's this kind of polar characterization that gets us closer to the US. C'mon westopher, you're better than that and you're more intelligent than that.

Look, one thing I do appreciate about Canadian politics is that for the most part, the moderate middle base (which I like to think of myself) has voted NDP, Cons, and Libs in various elections in the past. I'm not married to one political party or ideology. At this moment, I'm just sick of JT and would be willing to give yes ... even O'Toole a crack at it. Doesn't make me in the camp of those who thinks JT committed treason. But more of these posts and it does make me wonder if you are considering taking out a membership with Antifa group.
I’m not lumping everyone in that category by any means, but it’s a fact that those two sentences have come out of the same (multiple) peoples mouths during all this.

I don’t even close to believe that everyone criticizing the election cost feels that way, but it has been a sentiment and it’s beyond fucking stupid. Maybe I just keep morons on my FB for too long for my own good.
I’m not lumping everyone who criticized the cost of the election into that category, but I am lumping everyone that said this into the category of a fucking idiot.
People have been demanding to get Trudeau out of office so what is the alternative to an election? A “kudateh” like they had in Alberta against the NDP?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #2818

Get better FB friends bro ... or better yet, unfriend those clowns.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #2819

Lol I should but there’s the part of me that doesn’t want to make people feel bad combined with the sick bastard that likes to watch the online train wreck from time to time.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #2820
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Here's another good Twitter thread on why the Conservatives had challenges in urban ridings this election as a result of certain policy positions:

https://twitter.com/KLalh/status/144...459076617?s=19
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #2821
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Well I mean the graphic is for newspapers, it doesn't include television and radio nor magazines
It was a tongue and cheek comment but that's fair. People still read newspapers?

To add to the numbers on the election I posted above, get this: The BQ with 7.8% of the popular vote in this election got 34 seats, that's 10% of the house, with only 4.5% of the eligible Canadian population voting for them. The NDP, y'know an actual federal party, got 17% of the popular vote translating to 10% of eligible voters. They had double the national support and get 9 less seats. What a joke.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #2822

Here is the rest of the breakdown

In the states, it's electoral college. In Canada, it's seats in the house. That's the name of the game. It is what it is. No party who won on this system will be stupid enough to change it to percentage representation ... even though our present PM promised electoral reform.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #2823
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
lets face it, only the losers want electoral reform. that's just how it works, nobody wants their party who is in power to switch to electoral reform and give up power.
when the cons are in power, liberals want ER, when the liberals are in power, the cons are like WTF i love ER now
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #2824

I remember BC trying electoral reform, polled thousands of people, tried to be non-partisan, the committee came up with a really confusing complex plan that you need a PhD to understand ... and then it was voted down.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #2825

A lot of people, and media have blamed vote splitting with the ppc for the cons loss. If you want to get down to it, if you consider the libs on the progressive side of the middle, the numbers clearly state that Canada wants a progressive government if you want to look at it like that. 17.7 +32.2 = 49.8 in comparison to the 39.1 carried between the cons and PPC.
I honestly don’t know where to put the bloc. Progressive financial policy while being pretty far right on some social issues while pretty far left on some others.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: