REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #3626
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
The older I get, the worse politics look. I'm almost at the point where I feel like it's a complete sham and the real people pulling the strings are just watching and laughing at us sheep lining up and voting between 2 to 3 piles of shit because it's "our duty."
At the Canadian federal and BC provincial level, I'd still say voters as a whole generally make the right or less damaging choice more often than we make the wrong choice. This means we still make the wrong / poorer choice every now and then. And for the most part, the quality and integrity of our politicians have generally been going downhill.

At the municipal level, CoV just keep on getting shxttier, with Kennedy Stewart being the absolute worst (CoV) mayor I've wittnessed in my entire adult life. The current City Council is also the worst it has ever been.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:57 AM   #3627
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
It's definitely gotten worse over the last decade or so.

I feel like it really accelerated during the Obama years in his presidency, with COVID/Trump pouring gasoline on the problem.

The internet has created this cesspool of misinformation, mistrust, and polarization.

We were insolated from it in the past, now are politics are becoming more and more Americanized.

It blows my mind that we aren't discussing this problem more broadly -- it doesn't bode well for future politics.
I never really followed US politics (until recently when Kavanaugh was getting confirmed), but I remember I was down by Pikes Place in Seattle and I think Obama's first year as POTUS. There was some sort of Farmers market type stands outside and one of the stands had a picture of Obama with the sign "OBAMA = Hitler" and they were handing out flyers about something to that effect.

Like WTF?

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #3628
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
US political ads are so cringe right now. It's midterms soon and they're showing Congressional/Senate candidates on TV right now. These are from Washington state so I can't imagine what kind of garbage is being shown in Redder states right now. This is literally what the two ads I saw were showing:

Democrat: I was in the army so you should vote for me. In Washington I'll fight against misinformation and falsehoods like I fought in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Republican: I'm a "CONSERVATIVE business man." Here's my brood which is the picture perfect example of an Aryan family - blonde stay-at-home wife, 4 young kids. In Washington I'll fight against Biden's evil agenda. Did I mention I was a CONSERVATIVE business man? I create jobs!

Platform? Values? Voting record? Nahh. Not important.

Man I miss the days they just badmouthed the other candidate. At least they were sometimes funny.

Only a few years before this shit show reaches Canada.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #3629
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Every single ad in red states the republican candidate has a gun and says things like "I'm going to take aim at corruption" or "it's time to defend American from outside interests *cocks gun*"

Or some other SO CLEVER (sarcasm) gun reference. My eyes couldn't roll any further if I tried, but apparently the clapping walruses down there just eat it up.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #3630
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
UPC in Alberta had an essay writing contest for women.

Quote:
Alberta women were invited this spring to share their vision for Alberta and what they would do if they were Members of the Legislative Assembly. The winners of the contest and their submissions are below.
This won 3rd place.

Spoiler!

They ended up removing it from the website. Lucky places like google archive the internet.

This is the website for the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
Old 08-10-2022, 01:36 AM   #3631
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Medals for having kids LOL
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #3632
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
So, how do folks feel about their local elections?

Arguably, it's the level of government that matters to most people as they encounter it on a daily basis, yet voter turnout is well below 40%.

Looks like there will be some major vote splitting in both Surrey and Vancouver this year. I also see that there is a new political party in the City of Burnaby.

As an elder millennial, I also feel that there is a changing of the guard and that people my age and who are ethnic minorities are entering politics in droves. Someone I went to school with is running for one of the major parties in Vancouver, for example. It's nice to see that millennials, the generation that has been dumped on for decades, are finally asserting themselves in both politics and in the corporate world.

Last edited by Tapioca; 08-10-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #3633
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,240 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
UPC in Alberta had an essay writing contest for women.

This won 3rd place.

Spoiler!

They ended up removing it from the website. Lucky places like google archive the internet.

This is the website for the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
The part that cracks me up is the UCP response. The Minister in charge of women's issues condemns it, then realised she was in charge of the judging panel.

Alberta's associate minister in charge of women's issues Jackie Armstrong-Homeniuk says that an essay with sexist, racist and white nationalist elements never should have been awarded a prize in a contest for young women launched earlier this year.
Armstrong-Homeniuk, the UCP MLA for Fort Saskatchewan-Vegreville and the newly appointed associate minister for status of women, tried to distance herself from the contest on Tuesday through a written statement.

Initially Armstrong-Homeniuk said the essay should never have been chosen. Hours later, after hearing from her caucus and cabinet colleagues about how the essay was chosen, she issued a second statement.

"It's clear that the process failed, and I apologize for my role in that," Armstrong-Homeniuk said.

"The selection of this particular essay and awarding it with third prize was a failure on my part as the head of the judging panel.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #3634
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
The NDP sold out to Trudeau and all they got was some free dental care
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...64921cb76/amp/

Crazy, who would have seen that coming? Lol Jagmeet is such a tool. The guy sold out the entire party for nothing
Old 08-10-2022, 08:31 AM   #3635
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Sold out the party? What kind of power would they have in the government otherwise? Would he have won the election that was forced if they dropped out of it?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #3636

We’ll all that’s going to happen now if he he wants to topple the govt. the liberals are going to come back with a majority.

He sold them out in that he literally has no power yet cowered to the libs in order to have some semblance of “power” yet he is completely powerless. Should add a couple powers to that sentence lol. This is a big party of all my fellow union morons who thought there was an actual chance his anti-scab legislation would go through which is very clearly will not. How long will jagmeet get strung along until none of what he was promised ever gets put on the table, till the next election?

Again, if you were an NDP supporter and you’re not at the very least extremely unhappy with how your party has played this game. Then you simply don’t understand the situation

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #3637
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's nice to see that millennials, the generation that has been dumped on for decades, are finally asserting themselves in both politics and in the corporate world.
I agree with what you are saying, but millenials have not been dumped on for decades...they are literally between 25 and 40 now lol.

Not allowing 11 year olds to run for office isn't really "dumping on millenials".

It's just natural progression.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #3638
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Dental Care!

Lisa needs braces!

Dental Care!

Lisa needs braces!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #3639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Again, if you were an NDP supporter and you’re not at the very least extremely unhappy with how your party has played this game. Then you simply don’t understand the situation
As a NDP supporter I would rather have JT in power than someone from the con party. Seems like the cons only care about getting into power. When they should be focused on making the country better. Talk is JT is going to call an election as soon as PP wins the nomination. That way PP has no time to walk back any of his statements

That essay comp smells. Those things are suppose to be photo op's. But we have zero photo's of the winners and we don't even have full names. Also it was held by the Alberta legislative assembly but you only had members from the UPC. I would not be surprised if the writers where staff or lobbyists.

I have a customer that is bit crazy and into conspiracy theories. She is the reason why I know what gang stocking is. Last week I told her that buying lotto is just giving more money to Trudeau and she went off. Got all upset and started screaming.

Maybe if I see her again I will tell her that 6/49 was started in 1982. The PM at that time was Pierre Trudeau.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #3640
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
I would rather have JT in power than someone from the con party.
Might be worth voting Conservatives in for 4 years just to get Liberals to change leadership.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #3641

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
If it wasn’t going to be PP I’d say it wouldn’t be a big deal either, but the incel, anti vax nut job empowerment that will come from his leadership will be fucking unbearable.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #3642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Might be worth voting Conservatives in for 4 years just to get Liberals to change leadership.
Can't vote for a jewellery designer/lawyer from Toronto. Who worked for Doug Ford and moved to Nanaimo just before the last election to run.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #3643
I STILL don't get it

Failed 116 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
As a NDP supporter I would rather have JT in power than someone from the con party. Seems like the cons only care about getting into power. When they should be focused on making the country better. Talk is JT is going to call an election as soon as PP wins the nomination. That way PP has no time to walk back any of his statements

That essay comp smells. Those things are suppose to be photo op's. But we have zero photo's of the winners and we don't even have full names. Also it was held by the Alberta legislative assembly but you only had members from the UPC. I would not be surprised if the writers where staff or lobbyists.

I have a customer that is bit crazy and into conspiracy theories. She is the reason why I know what gang stocking is. Last week I told her that buying lotto is just giving more money to Trudeau and she went off. Got all upset and started screaming.

Maybe if I see her again I will tell her that 6/49 was started in 1982. The PM at that time was Pierre Trudeau.

"Seems like the cons only care about getting into power. When they should be focused on making the country better."

"Talk is JT is going to call an election as soon as PP wins the nomination."

The irony.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #3644

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
"Seems like the cons only care about getting into power. When they should be focused on making the country better."

"Talk is JT is going to call an election as soon as PP wins the nomination."

The irony.
Isn't that what the cons want. They keep chanting Trudeau must go and the only way that's going to happen is with another election. Is it JT's fault the cons can't agree on any policy? From abortion to the carbon tax they can't agree on anything.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #3645
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
So JT engineers a separation from NDP, they gang up on him in non-confidence motion and gov't gets toppled, sends the country into another election?

JT better as hell not call one again ... if he does, that alone might sink him. It feels like it was just a year ago that we went through this waste of time and money.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #3646
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Somehow this nutjob still isn't locked up

The ‘QAnon Queen’ Told Her Followers to Arrest Cops. It Didn’t Go Well.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2022, 09:47 PM   #3647
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
I don't follow political garbage anymore but this seemed to trip my algorithm

He must be a Maxine Waters fan

Spoiler!

EDIT: This whole video would be much better with some music:

Spoiler!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:21 PM   #3648

These guys are fcking pussies.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #3649

This is the society we live

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...natown-attack/

- senior verbally assaulted in China town with racist remarks
- senior bear sprayed
- suspected arrested then automatically released

Crazy there’s so much random crime, who’d have thunk? The system is so effective
Old 09-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #3650

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This is the society we live

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...natown-attack/

- senior verbally assaulted in China town with racist remarks
- senior bear sprayed
- suspected arrested then automatically released

Crazy there’s so much random crime, who’d have thunk? The system is so effective
Guys like this you would love to see accidentally on purpose take a few sledge hammer blows to the skull, bring no value to society.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote