REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #3726
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Ooof… I can say with absolutely no hesitation that El Bastardo does not fraternize with that individual in any way whatsoever.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #3727
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Ooof… I can say with absolutely no hesitation that El Bastardo does not fraternize with that individual in any way whatsoever.
You want to put money on that?

Old 09-14-2022, 07:16 AM   #3728
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Failed 416 Times in 132 Posts
Manic is right to call me out here.

I bought into the PPC at the beginning when they were the anti-establishment reaction to Trudeau's SNC-Lavalin issue. I really thought they'd be a break from the Harper-era Cons who were just more ancient establishment politicians.

I also found myself drifting away from the NDP after the Jack Layton era. Mulclair took the helm of a ship and didn't know how to steer it. Singh was young enough to understand what real issues mattered to people, the party was far too pandering to very specific social causes that didn't have a wider impact.

The PPC really sold itself on being the antithesis of the Canadian political mechanism. Their communications were poignant, motivating, and even though I'm leftist (Even for a Canadian. Here in America I'm basically a goddamned Commie) I can understand the perspective of those on the right, so I could get on-board with it as long as the PPC continued with their purported libertarian principles.

What a fucking disappointment boys.

This goddamned party turned out to be TrumpNord. Anti-intellectualism, (further) privatization of our public institutions, the integration of Christian values into Canadian policy (think Quebec in the 1950s), and no real policies except for "We aren't the Liberals".

I own my mistake in associating with them. Do I think Bernier had a different vision in mind for the party, perhaps closer to the Reform Party? Yeah I do. Do I think he found that it was more popular (Parti Populaire?) to translate some of the Trump playbook into the Canadian language? Yeah, unfortunately I do.

I was a fan of the movement after I thought Doughboy Sheer was turning the party of Sir John A into the "Rearrange Deck Chairs on the Titanic" party. Bernier had a clear vision that I honestly believe has been distorted by Trump-era populism which was too hard to ignore, especially given how popular it has become worldwide. I support his earlier vision for reducing corporate welfare, a reduced role in overseas intervention (remember, this was not long after we had completely removed ourselves from Afghanistan), and a hard look at what our healthcare system can handle (although I really fucking oppose what they're trying to do with it now, a UK-style hybrid private/public system).

Long story short; I'm disappointed across the board. Disappointed in Singh (who needs to understand there is theatre he needs to participate in if he going to be the party of the underclass), disappointed in PP (the guy can put together a cogent argument if he wants to, but hes taken a sinister turn to somehow become a Ben Shapiro larper), disappointed in Trudeau (bought and sold to the highest bidder), and disappointed in Bernier (so much wasted potential). The only GOOD thing to come out of this is that the Greens realize that they've been rotten from the core (Drunken American Elizabeth May was replaced by Racist Annamie Paul) so now they're taking the opportunity to rebuild under Kutner.

American historians look back on the Jimmy Carter era as the "malaise era" which is largely forgettable, save for a few notable events. He blends together with Gerald Ford as being similarly forgettable. I think this is our "malaise era" in Canadian politics. No standouts, just establishment circlejerks. Even/Especially Bernier who turned out to be a different person than I believed him to be.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #3729
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

[snip]
Respect and thanks for you to admit something like that on the interwebs, quite articulately as well I might add.

Refreshing to see, compared other convos I've come across on RS lately, tbh.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #3730
Performance Moderator

Well, today is now, that was the past… I know your leanings politically and I know you’d have nothing to do with Bernier how he turned out.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #3731
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Suppose to fly to Europe on Monday.. what joys await me at the airport with this new federal holiday..
Old 09-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #3732
Performance Moderator

Happy people making double what they usually make?

I hope you have an amazing trip though, don’t forget us
Old 09-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #3733
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

I bought into the PPC at the beginning when they were the anti-establishment reaction to Trudeau's SNC-Lavalin issue. I really thought they'd be a break from the Harper-era Cons who were just more ancient establishment politicians.

I also found myself drifting away from the NDP after the Jack Layton era. Mulclair took the helm of a ship and didn't know how to steer it. Singh was young enough to understand what real issues mattered to people, the party was far too pandering to very specific social causes that didn't have a wider impact.

The PPC really sold itself on being the antithesis of the Canadian political mechanism. Their communications were poignant, motivating, and even though I'm leftist (Even for a Canadian. Here in America I'm basically a goddamned Commie) I can understand the perspective of those on the right, so I could get on-board with it as long as the PPC continued with their purported libertarian principles.

What a fucking disappointment boys.

This goddamned party turned out to be TrumpNord. Anti-intellectualism, (further) privatization of our public institutions, the integration of Christian values into Canadian policy (think Quebec in the 1950s), and no real policies except for "We aren't the Liberals".

I own my mistake in associating with them. Do I think Bernier had a different vision in mind for the party, perhaps closer to the Reform Party? Yeah I do. Do I think he found that it was more popular (Parti Populaire?) to translate some of the Trump playbook into the Canadian language? Yeah, unfortunately I do.

I was a fan of the movement after I thought Doughboy Sheer was turning the party of Sir John A into the "Rearrange Deck Chairs on the Titanic" party. Bernier had a clear vision that I honestly believe has been distorted by Trump-era populism which was too hard to ignore, especially given how popular it has become worldwide. I support his earlier vision for reducing corporate welfare, a reduced role in overseas intervention (remember, this was not long after we had completely removed ourselves from Afghanistan), and a hard look at what our healthcare system can handle (although I really fucking oppose what they're trying to do with it now, a UK-style hybrid private/public system).

Long story short; I'm disappointed across the board. Disappointed in Singh (who needs to understand there is theatre he needs to participate in if he going to be the party of the underclass), disappointed in PP (the guy can put together a cogent argument if he wants to, but hes taken a sinister turn to somehow become a Ben Shapiro larper), disappointed in Trudeau (bought and sold to the highest bidder), and disappointed in Bernier (so much wasted potential). The only GOOD thing to come out of this is that the Greens realize that they've been rotten from the core (Drunken American Elizabeth May was replaced by Racist Annamie Paul) so now they're taking the opportunity to rebuild under Kutner.

American historians look back on the Jimmy Carter era as the "malaise era" which is largely forgettable, save for a few notable events. He blends together with Gerald Ford as being similarly forgettable. I think this is our "malaise era" in Canadian politics. No standouts, just establishment circlejerks. Even/Especially Bernier who turned out to be a different person than I believed him to be.
Wish more folks would admit their wrongs on the internet here nowadays. Good post.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #3734
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Suppose to fly to Europe on Monday.. what joys await me at the airport with this new federal holiday..
My heart breaks for those going to Europe dealing with a minor inconvenience due to a holiday.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #3735

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I just hope they are following the science and make sure you put your mask on after every sip of your drink on the plane.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #3736

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
My heart breaks for those going to Europe dealing with a minor inconvenience due to a holiday.
Bro this business class check in better get me through in under 5 or gonna lose my shit
Old 09-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #3737

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I just hope they are following the science and make sure you put your mask on after every sip of your drink on the plane.
Germany is lifting all masking on planes sept 21st unfortunately too late for me

I’ve been reading other trans-Atlantic carriers have been conforming to Canadian mask policies and then once you’re out of Canadian air space you can remove them..

If you watch 5 minutes of travel YouTubers, we are pretty much one of the last countries following the “science” hell, we literally might be the last

#Science

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-14-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #3738
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I haven’t seen a major hold up on the international security side of things. US and Domestic have been a complete shit show from day to day.

I should add, I always pass through at 7am and not many of the big international departures don’t leave until later morning…. So it could be I’m just missing the rush. But I have faith. Haha.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #3739

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
It’s not like people suddenly made plans to travel the moment this one-time holiday was announced…
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #3740

Was moreso worried about security and screening staff etc. but seems like they won’t have the holiday off
Old 09-14-2022, 07:11 PM   #3741

I would have been worried too considering every other holiday I’ve flown somewhere the airport was closed and the staff had the day off for the holiday.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #3742

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...ions-poilievre

Who the hell calls a press conference, then tells reporters they can’t ask questions?

Quote:
By now the video has gone viral. At least by Canadian standards.

It shows newly minted Conservative Party of Canada Leader Pierre Poilievre being heckled at his debut news conference by Global News chief political correspondent David Akin.

Before the news conference started, reporters had been told there would be no questions, but Akin asked questions anyway, shouting them out from the floor, drowning out Poilievre’s statement.

At first, Poilievre tried to brush it off as a joke, saying a “liberal heckler” must have shown up. Then he pushed back saying he’d never heard Akin interrupt the prime minister this way. Finally, Poilievre capitulated under pressure and agreed he’d allow two questions from the media. He then restarted his speech without further interruption.

No doubt Akin was being rude. He was hounded by viewers and later put out a statement on Twitter: “Lots of readers/viewers called me about today’s Parliament Hill presser. Many said I was rude and disrespectful to @PierrePoilievre. I agree. I’m sorry for that. We all want politicians to answer questions — but there are better ways of making that point.”

There definitely were better ways to make the point. Perhaps all the media should have turned off their cameras and walked out.

Worse still, a tweet by Anthony Koch, Poilievre’s press secretary, alleged Akin “told me to tell Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre to go f–k himself.”

Since then Toronto Star Columnist Bruce Arthur has reported that 'sources in the room' heard it differently.

In fact, Akin told Koch, “We’re not his f------ stenographers. And you can tell him that.”

CNO has now been able to independently confirm the statement as reported by The Star is correct.

It may still be that any reporter dropping an F-bomb to a source should have their mouth washed out with soap. Mothers across Canada can settle the debate on manners later.

For now, while I don’t love his overly combative approach, we should not miss the point of what triggered Akin. I won’t defend his actions, but I will defend his sentiment.

Who the hell calls a press conference, then tells reporters they can’t ask questions?

It’s right in the words: P-R-E-S-S conference.

Dear politicians, if you want to reach the public without the media, you’re free to open a Facebook page or post more of your spicy attack ads to YouTube. Maybe suck up a few million taxpayers' dollars to fund a PR “war room” like Jason Kenney and if your voters keep coming back, more power to you. You can even launch your own news site like Doug Ford did.

However, there are still citizens in this democracy who invest their time and money to support a free press. They want journalists to represent them, to seek truth and demand accountability.

That’s right, if you want access to media platforms, public accountability is the price of entry.

You don’t get to cheat citizens in a democracy by holding a “press conference” where you muzzle the press and expect us to play along.

Mr. Poilievre, welcome to the first day of leadership class.

Here is lesson 101: You are not the free press’ gatekeeper.
Ah yes, the guy who broke the story of Trudeau’s 2017 Christmas holiday is a "liberal heckler." More smol pp energy from Pierre.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #3743

Campaigns on freedom of speech until the speech isn’t his own or those that agree with him. Where have we heard this before?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 01:26 PM   #3744

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Y'know you're right, it is very familiar. I can't quite place it though.

Oh right.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #3745

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Bro this business class check in better get me through in under 5 or gonna lose my shit
Be prepared to lose your shit because last time I dropped someone off for Air Canada (~2 months ago, maybe?) they had 1 person working in the entire business/prestige/whatever kiosks, and it took my friends 1.5 hours to check in.

The pleb section was fully manned, so people were zooming through, relatively speaking.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #3746

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
This is the guy that's going to make housing more affordable LOL. Watch him struggle on the second question.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #3747
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Don’t like PP but he’s got my support. Anyone but this liberal dictatorship plz thx!
"Dictatorship"...lol nice hyperbole
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #3748

Half of Hondas posts are about how he's travelling to Europe, owns a detached home, lives a DINK lifestyle and doesn't stress about money and the other half is how he's not allowed to do anything he wants in Canada because the gubment has taken his freedom away and made him poor lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2022, 10:28 PM   #3749
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
This is the guy that's going to make housing more affordable LOL. Watch him struggle on the second question.
“That’s my wife… yup”

I’d swear this was a satirical comedy clip if I didn’t know better… sadly it’s the real deal
Old 09-16-2022, 05:45 AM   #3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Half of Hondas posts are about how he's travelling to Europe, owns a detached home, lives a DINK lifestyle and doesn't stress about money and the other half is how he's not allowed to do anything he wants in Canada because the gubment has taken his freedom away and made him poor lol.
Ehhh I’m allowed to do what I want fine enough. Just had enough of this BS. Nothing I have is because of this liberal govt.

If Turd hadn’t become such a complete dumpster fire maybe people wouldn’t be so split. But now it’s pretty clear enough people are tired of this BS and we’re gonna end up with PP as the new prime minister. Like I said, I don’t really care for him but this is the situation Trudeau has put the country in, not the other way around.

I’m a one issue voter, crime. Therefore I will vote Conservative. I think it’s pretty hard to say fiscally we can get much worse than the current situation we are in. If you want to vote liberal because of these obscure social issues the libs seem to foam at the mouth over, be my guest. It’s hard to imagine any regime leaving you with less money in your pockets.

There’s always been this running narrative here where instead of realizing how much better we could be doing, regardless of who’s in power, people have this idea like “hey well we could be China so it’s not so bad!” It’s really weird.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-16-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote