REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #3776
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Name the groups/amounts. Let's analyze the payments and see how it affected you?

All the anti-vaxxers got paid to sit at home collecting cheques while raging on the internet too. I'm not very happy about that.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #3777
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This blanket opinion that anything leaning right is automatically Trump or worse is hard for me to understand
Is not that hard to understand when you see standing members of the Conservative party being a part of bullshit like this. You know, like the interim leader until a little less than a week ago?
Like I said, get rid of this fucking useless bullshit social conservatism and base it around economic policy with an acceptance of non Christian values and I’m good. Mix it up, I don’t give a shit, as long as it’s not at the expense of minority groups, women and the poor.
I will not accept a party who allows any single member of it to actively pursue the rollback of gay rights, abortion rights, etc.
It has no place in an educated society, and goes against the bullshit “freedom” angle they try to push to trick libertarian voters into thinking they are their party.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #3778
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Umm...are we all forgetting Omircron is a thing? So no one's going to get the Omicron Vax? I got my Flu shot twice, I guess I never need to get it anymore either...sweet!
Basically, yeah. I'm not getting any boosters at this point and I'm not an anti-vaxxer. Most people I know who got the first two shots aren't getting it either, so it's not like it's a bunch of crazies who don't believe in vaccines, they just don't think it's necessary anymore.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #3779

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The only way that we're going to improve the public heathcare situtation, or the crime rate is through increased taxes and funding. That's it. That is the ONLY solution to our problem.

This idea that we can somehow "find more efficiencies, or trim fat", magically waving a wand on the existing system is fucking mythical BS. Sorry, but some mythical magic bullet unicorn fix for these things just doesn't exist, and only morons think it does.

So if that's really your main concern, then you need to vote for the party that says they're going to do just this.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #3780
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If paying more taxes actually meant improved services I’d be all for it. As I’ve said in the past if they could guarantee they could clean up homelessness I’d gladly pay another $500 a year in taxes, absolutely.

But the govt. at all levels is so incompetent I have zero faith more taxes would achieve anything other than stimulate an already bloated system.

In you’re asking for these special interest groups that effect my well being, we can start with a very recent example of Justin’s billion dollar loan to the First Nations to build high end condos in an area no one will ever be able to afford. As a tax paying citizen of Vancouver that effects me. But hey, it’s in the name of reconciliation so it’s all G my friend
Old 09-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #3781
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Well what’s the alternative? Cutting blank cheques to special interest groups? Sweet
Like Kenny giving over a billion dollars to a us company for a pipe that Biden said was never going to be built? Or given harpers son a cushy 6 figure job right out of school.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #3782

Quote:
If paying more taxes actually meant improved services I’d be all for it. As I’ve said in the past if they could guarantee they could clean up homelessness I’d gladly pay another $500 a year in taxes, absolutely.

But the govt. at all levels is so incompetent I have zero faith more taxes would achieve anything other than stimulate an already bloated system.

In you’re asking for these special interest groups that effect my well being, we can start with a very recent example of Justin’s billion dollar loan to the First Nations to build high end condos in an area no one will ever be able to afford. As a tax paying citizen of Vancouver that effects me. But hey, it’s in the name of reconciliation so it’s all G my friend
And that's exactly the kind of bullshit argument people like you try to make and why nothing gets better.
So really, you're admitting that you don't really care about those issues.

I get it. I don't want to pay more taxes either, but at least I'm not lying to myself that I'm not part of the problem
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #3783

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Basically, yeah. I'm not getting any boosters at this point and I'm not an anti-vaxxer. Most people I know who got the first two shots aren't getting it either, so it's not like it's a bunch of crazies who don't believe in vaccines, they just don't think it's necessary anymore.
This exactly. I've had my two doses, many friends are in the same ballpark, stopping at their second of third.

Even most nurses or others within the hospitals have stopped their doses at the third one.

I never get my flu vaccine and haven't had the flu in over a decade, nothing against people who do. It's silly to demonize anyone who isn't planning or haven't gotten their subsequent COVID vaccines at this point, ultimately who cares?

We're planning to visit the Philippines next year (they require a third dosage) and that's the only reason I'd get another one at this point.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #3784

When has paying more taxes improved services? Actually improved in a tangible, measurable way? Especially with healthcare etc.

Since I moved to Vancouver I’ve had 4 increase in what I pay for garbage and recycling collection. Recycling and green bin is now contracted out and it’s missed a third of the time, sweet. That was definitely worth the increase
Old 09-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #3785

I think the COV is an example of one of the worst perpetrators of tax wasting. Remember mid pandemic when they spent 300k on office chairs, yet every time those fucks are in some sort of meeting that’s broadcast it’s a zoom meeting. Cause covid isn’t an issue for other people but it’s too scary for our valuable city council to risk.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #3786

I suppose you think costs to provide services, such as fuel, wages etc remain fixed for years at a time?

It sure sounds like you do, but I thought you were smarter than that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #3787

You're not going to save the healthcare system or improving crime by buying cheaper office chairs. Come on.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #3788

Also in this same vein, I already pay my fair share of taxes. Outside of this discussion I -never- complain about taxes etc.

If you want to try and attack me for not wanting to pay more and more taxes I think we can start looking at the “students” driving aventadors and G wagons living in 10 million dollar homes paying literally nothing in taxes as to a reason why I feel like why should I pay even MORE than my fair share when others are paying nothing.

Peons like myself who are just getting ground down with additional costs and taxes aren’t the reason why there isn’t funding for things.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-16-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:59 PM   #3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You're not going to save the healthcare system or improving crime by buying cheaper office chairs. Come on.
Yeah I get that, but it’s a pretty reasonable example of wastefulness by the COV. Kennedy Stewart isn’t in charge of healthcare in this province regardless.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #3790

I know I always may come off as some contrarian ass hole but I think it makes it sound more like that typing it out in a discussion like this.

I’m not so close minded I can’t take in an opinion and take something from it and Westopher I appreciate your input and fully agree about the concern about peoples rights being clawed back which is definitely not what I want.

The current state of Canada and the world can cause some frustration and at the end of the day I should be happy with what I have when I have more than most. I think most people here are fairly moderate in their political stance as I think I am. It’s a shame we’re in this situation where we have to forcibly pick between the best of garbage.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #3791

Ah the other BS argument: "Why should I pay more? tax those other people more!"

We'll have to accept that EVERYONE is going to have to pay more for things to get better. Simple as that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #3792

But many people who should be paying a lot are paying nothing..

Reform that system.

This is like a race to the bottom mentality of destroying peoples wealth for the sake of people who are substantially more wealthy..
Old 09-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #3793

You and me really want the same things at the end of the day
I want the government to leave me alone as much as reasonably possible
I’m cool with taxes but I want accountability
I want people to pay their fair fucking share
I want religion out of politics
I want people to do what they want for happiness as long as it doesn’t negatively affect other people
I don’t honestly believe at all that the cons will accomplish any of those things. They might lower some taxes and give people some pp bucks a la early 2000s Alberta, but at the expense of all of those other things I want.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #3794

Back to that "magic bullet" of finding this "fair share" which doesn't exist. So nothing will change and quit bitching.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #3795
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I wish we could all sit down on a patio with some beers lol be funny to actually see people's faces and find out how much we all have in common.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #3796

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:

Reform that system.

This is like a race to the bottom mentality of destroying peoples wealth for the sake of people who are substantially more wealthy..
What you're saying is common knowledge, but literally the problem is the wealthy are the ones making the rules. Or they buy out the people making the rules.

Look at the US. Republicans have systematically raped the system so that uneducated white people living in rural areas have been brainwashed to think they are victims in some huge conspiracy. And voting anything but conservative is literally satanic. Then they put people in power who continue this cycle, while they become worse off and the rich get richer. People who give a fuck somewhat and try to make things better for everyone, are mostly/all Democrats. Millions of 'murricans are constantly voting against their own interest because they don't have the intellectual capacity to think critically. And that's why being republican has become synonymous with Trump-ism.

And the rest of the population, including the more coherent conservatives, are being dragged down by the lowest IQ'ed portion of the population - albeit far less in Canada than down south.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #3797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Back to that "magic bullet" of finding this "fair share" which doesn't exist. So nothing will change and quit bitching.
Ahhhh the unreasonable expectation of people like our former finance minister to not “forget” about their French villa when come tax time. Such an absurd concept.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #3798

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Also in this same vein, I already pay my fair share of taxes. Outside of this discussion I -never- complain about taxes etc.

If you want to try and attack me for not wanting to pay more and more taxes I think we can start looking at the “students” driving aventadors and G wagons living in 10 million dollar homes paying literally nothing in taxes as to a reason why I feel like why should I pay even MORE than my fair share when others are paying nothing.

Peons like myself who are just getting ground down with additional costs and taxes aren’t the reason why there isn’t funding for things.
That's a big topic that doesn't get enough attention. There certainly is a "class" of people in this city that do everything they can to circumvent paying taxes and juking the system, importing their elderly family members to bog down the health system while living in million dollar homes and declaring their income as negligible.

It would be quite interesting to know how much tax fraud is being perpetuated within this city here, the stories I've heard frankly blow my mind.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #3799

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:

That's why the NDP and Libs worked together to put in place a 20% luxury tax. That's the first thing that's going to go under PP. Also, everyone pays taxes even children.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #3800

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:

Reform that system.
I'm curious why you think the Cons will do something to fix that when a lot of them are the ones not paying anything.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote