REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #4151
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Ahh what a timely article…

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...town-eastside/

And.. I’m done. Enjoy
...DTES != Vancouver?
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #4152
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
The meth union can't be stopped

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #4153
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
They can "disappear" if they were shipped to an island with no ability to leave the island unless they agreed to rehab.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #4154
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
They can "disappear" if they were shipped to an island with no ability to leave the island unless they agreed to rehab.
I agree with this

Instead of spending 1mil every day on all the services

BC gov buys island, ships out all the economy drainers to said island, they detox with coconuts and spearfishing, then they are re invited to society

wait isn't that modern day australia

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #4155
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you want homelessness dealt with you're going to need left wing groups in power.
This actually made me laugh out loud. Straight up ostrich head in the sand statement. Southwest BC (Victoria, Lower Mainland, Okanagan) in Canada, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, San Diego.... are all the worst cities in North America for homeless drug addicts running out of control by pretty much every metric. What do they all have in common? Long time left-ideological political leadership.

Honda - I'm not sure why you keep bothering. At this point the Liberal Party apologists are the kind of people who'll get squeezed by their policies to the point that they end up in line at a food bank, get assaulted by someone with 40+ charges who's still on the loose, but thank Trudeau for the stamps just so they can say their political team won. There are threads on this forum where people complain about the cost of gas, housing, groceries, taxes, shootings and crime..... and yet they keep voting for the people that got us here at every level of Gov.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #4156
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Southwest BC (Victoria, Lower Mainland, Okanagan) in Canada, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, San Diego.... are all the worst cities in North America for homeless drug addicts running out of control by pretty much every metric. What do they all have in common?
Climate
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #4157
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
somebodies friends/family.
This coming from you is hilarious.

Quote:
This actually made me laugh out loud. Straight up ostrich head in the sand statement. Southwest BC (Victoria, Lower Mainland, Okanagan) in Canada, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, San Diego.... are all the worst cities in North America for homeless drug addicts running out of control by pretty much every metric. What do they all have in common? Long time left-ideological political leadership.

Honda - I'm not sure why you keep bothering. At this point the Liberal Party apologists are the kind of people who'll get squeezed by their policies to the point that they end up in line at a food bank, get assaulted by someone with 40+ charges who's still on the loose, but thank Trudeau for the stamps just so they can say their political team won. There are threads on this forum where people complain about the cost of gas, housing, groceries, taxes, shootings and crime..... and yet they keep voting for the people that got us here at every level of Gov.
If you think right wing parties will ever help with any of those things you're delusional. You do realize the Okanagan isn't Liberal, let alone left wing, right?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 11-17-2022 at 09:59 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2022, 09:48 PM   #4158
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Here's a good story on how Houston TX has housed 25,000 people over the last few years
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #4159
I Wanna Go Fast!

You say climate like all the other southern US states don't exist, then you post a success story from one..... Climate is a valid argument for Canada only, and it is our incredibly weak on crime policies that enable this destructive behaviour. The same is true of west coast American states and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You do realize the Okanagan isn't Liberal, let alone left wing, right?
Irrelevant, it's an NDP governed province. Shitty local leadership as demonstrated by Kennedy Stewart and Lisa Helps only makes things worse.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #4160
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
No homeless in Florida right? Definitely violence free too.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #4161

Quote:
You say climate like all the other southern US states don't exist, then you post a success story from one..... Climate is a valid argument for Canada only, and it is our incredibly weak on crime policies that enable this destructive behaviour. The same is true of west coast American states and you know it.
So to be clear, you think the solution to homelessness is to throw them all in jail? For the crime of... being homeless?

Quote:
Irrelevant, it's an NDP governed province. Shitty local leadership as demonstrated by Kennedy Stewart and Lisa Helps only makes things worse.
You're the one who specified those regions but go on.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #4162
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
No homeless in Florida right? Definitely violence free too.
No one said there aren't homeless and violence issues everywhere. The worst tent cities in the US have been in the cities I listed. Not to mention the Capitol Hill situation in Seattle, the train robberies in LA, and on and on. These aren't climate driven problems that these cities are having.

underscore - strong attempt to put words in my mouth, that's obviously not what I was saying. People who commit repeated violent or property crimes, as well as dealers YES they should be in jail. Legitimate homeless people and addicts should get the help they need to get out of those situations. Terrible policy on crime has allowed bad elements to overwhelm the populations within those communities and overwhelm emergency and social services which takes the focus (and budget) away from people who need genuine help.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #4163

We both agree 100% on the last part of what you say. There are people that need help, and people that need to be punished. What I don’t see though is how you can believe that those specific cities issues would be solved with right wing policies while simultaneously not acknowledging the clear consistencies between the cities that have nothing to do with government.
The reason those cities have a high left wing population is because they are desirable, and expensive, and most often educated, upper middle class people who live in big cities (have experience with a multitude of minorities and socioeconomic classes) lean left because life experiences allow them to empathize with the communities that right wing policies often punish or neglect.
There’s a reason why people in smaller bubbles tend to lean right and those in larger bubbles in places like North America that get to know many different people lean left.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #4164
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
blaming trudeau and liberals for inflation is so weak that im surprised this has to be explained to anyone here.

inflation is happening around the world right now since we all experienced the after-effects of covid which was increased demand for goods and services. covid hit the entire planet at the same time so most countries are experiencing high levels of inflation as part of the covid hangover. if you think inflation is a left wing problem, ask your british friends how things are going over there.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #4165

Quote:
underscore - strong attempt to put words in my mouth, that's obviously not what I was saying.
You replied to my comment on homelessness by blaming weak crime policies.

Quote:
Legitimate homeless people and addicts should get the help they need to get out of those situations.
Which they'll never receive from right wing politicians. All they ever do is cut services.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #4166

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
blaming trudeau and liberals for inflation is so weak that im surprised this has to be explained to anyone here.

inflation is happening around the world right now since we all experienced the after-effects of covid which was increased demand for goods and services. covid hit the entire planet at the same time so most countries are experiencing high levels of inflation as part of the covid hangover. if you think inflation is a left wing problem, ask your british friends how things are going over there.
UK is the perfect example. Look what happened when the ultimate trickledown policy was enacted. The pound ate more shit than it has in history, inflation skyrocketed and the person who enacted the policy was literally laughed out of office in 46 days.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #4167
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Why the hell are we spending and wasting so much time (and money) on this inquiry about the declaration of the Emergencies Act ??!! Every night I see it on the news ... it's been dragging on like one of those US tribunals. What is it that they are hoping to prove or disprove. It's over, it was invoked, the truckers broke their protest and life was returned to normal.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #4168

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
It's literally required any time the emergencies act is invoked.

As annoyed as you seem to be, this is a good thing, it's to ensure the government can't just go all totalitarian any time it wants.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #4169
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Why the hell are we spending and wasting so much time (and money) on this inquiry about the declaration of the Emergencies Act ??!! Every night I see it on the news ... it's been dragging on like one of those US tribunals. What is it that they are hoping to prove or disprove. It's over, it was invoked, the truckers broke their protest and life was returned to normal.
It's a check to ensure nobody abuses it. The inquiry is essentially built into the act, for accountability.

Can you imagine how hard Hondaracer would be foaming at the mouth if Trudeau invoked it with no oversight?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #4170

The issue with how the oversight, and the trial works, is that hondaracers mouth foam will not subside regardless of the verdict. That comes down to the tribalism in political parties. Whether anyone from the conservatives agreed with the libs use of the act, there would be no support regardless, because it wasn't them that made the decision. Everything liberal bad. It's a shame, because if the libs would have enacted what they fucking promised, in election reform, it could have mitigated that path that the government has always been on, but rapidly accelerated since orange man was voted in back in 2016. Shit like that is what actually needs accountability, but instead, we have people losing their minds over things that ended in an actual success because they don't like who made the decision.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #4171
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with accountability so that no PM just use it recklessly but I'm just tired of the time and waste of how this is dragging on. Everybody and their uncle is testifying ... something like this ... 2 weeks max and move on.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #4172

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
For fuck sakes. It should take however long it needs to take, and everyone that needs to testify should be able to testify. Considering invoking the act is like the nuclear option in our system of governance.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 AM   #4173
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
...DTES != Vancouver?
I think some of you are just being willfully ignorant at this point.

The DTES isn’t main and Hastings anymore.. effectively the DTES is this area, if not BIGGER:

Ahh and since I posted last there are some very nice goodies to pop up..

An erratic man harassing people as a bus stop ultimately spitting on a baby, very nice. I’m sure all you parents of young children can appreciate this

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/britis...60572.amp.html

Or how about weekly assaults on bus drivers? Who can no longer even stop on the DTES due to tents etc.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...-concerns/amp/

Felony violence also seems like it’s cooling off!

Quote:
Teen found with guns, machetes in Downtown Eastside
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/video/...couver-police/

Trudeaus tough on gun crime policies working wonders.. how about a shoot out on a fucking highway? That would certainly go over the same virtually ANYWHERE else… lol

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...hway-1-police/

In 5 days you have a series of heinous crimes, you have the premier and the mayor saying publicly things are worse than ever

ItS nOt sO bAd!!!!

On top of the endless stats I posted on the last page, seemingly overlooked by everyone who claimed downtown was in fine shape! There are additional statistics here regarding a continued 50% decrease in downtown foot traffic:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...-foot-traffic/

The number one driver? Public safety? Weird!

By the way, if those stats on the last page regarding discarded needles wasn’t enough. My friend who works groundskeeping for the Vancouver school board has told me that basically half their job has turned into picking up crack piles and discarded needles at school grounds now. They never did this in the 12+ years he’s worked there doing the same job but now at the start of every day, every job, at every school, you go around picking up discarded needles.

You see what JD13 is saying all over the place. Left leaning nut huggers will literally be assaulted and end up living in a cardboard board box on the sidewalk grasping to this ideal that this is better than “cOnSeRVAtiVE VaLUes” whoever’s values we are living under now are turning this city and country into a complete shit hole.

Like.. we are completely over run with crime, violence, addiction, etc. things can’t get much worse. What is going on right now very clearly is not working.

This forum is so funny. Like back around 2010 pre and post Olympics when you can argue Vancouver and probably BC at a whole was at its peak, people were all on here saying “Vancouver isn’t a world class city!!! This isn’t Shanghai or Hong Kong!!!”

Which was laughable at the time. Now all those “world class” cities are complete and utter shit holes and Vancouver is turning into one as well but now people are defending its current state? Lol

Edit*

Oh yea and the armed robbery at gun point on commercial drive lol.. fuck yea love it

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-23-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:39 AM   #4174
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
In terms of the emergencies act and the convoy I don’t care about either but I do agree this is the process that needs to be adhered to.

However, if an investigation concludes that the act was invoked without cause and it was irresponsible to do so. And you guys are still clamouring to this idea of “but Ottawa couldn’t Sleep!!!” As justification for the measures. You don’t actually care about rule of law period.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-23-2022 at 02:47 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:30 AM   #4175

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
In terms of the emergencies act and the convoy I don’t care about either

However, if an investigation concludes that the act was invoked without cause and it was irresponsible to do so. And you guys are still clamouring to this idea of “but Ottawa couldn’t Sleep!!!” As justification for the measures. You don’t actually care about rule of law period.
But what if it is found justified and some of the organizers go to jail. Are you going to support a party that supported them?