REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:54 PM   #4251
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

I wouldn’t mind leaving Canada too, but it’s more because I’m just kind of bored here and would like to move somewhere with fresh places and more history to it… or that I could maybe afford a house instead of a condo… but not out of hate or spite.
Maaaaaaan, I watch these YouTube videos with dudes that have a house, and a garage 3x the size of the house, and a bunch of cars in the garage

At first I'm like, fuck I want to be that wealthy

Then I realize half of these guys live in mid/small towns in USA, and can probably buy all of that for under 500k

Im jealous of guys that have a garage and a bunch of cars to work on and mess around with, then again, I don't want to live in the booooonies
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 05:55 AM   #4252
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Maaaaaaan, I watch these YouTube videos with dudes that have a house, and a garage 3x the size of the house, and a bunch of cars in the garage

At first I'm like, fuck I want to be that wealthy

Then I realize half of these guys live in mid/small towns in USA, and can probably buy all of that for under 500k

Im jealous of guys that have a garage and a bunch of cars to work on and mess around with, then again, I don't want to live in the booooonies
you have to understand that even in the "boonies" in the states, you are often within a short drive to a large city. You have a country which is smaller than the size of canada, and has a population 10 times ours. There isn't a whole lot of "boonies" left in the USA.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 06:37 AM   #4253
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Age is a factor too, I wouldn’t have wanted to live in the booooonies 15 years ago either when I was about your age…. But now I don’t think I’d mind so much if it was USA boonies like meme said haha you can easily do that in a suburb of a huge city there.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #4254
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Thing is, those 4000 sq ft houses with pools, 3 car garages etc.

There isn’t a place in Canada you could build those homes for the purchase price.

All these renovation shows in California etc. it’s basically Mexican slave labour doing the work
Old 12-13-2022, 06:58 AM   #4255
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
you have to understand that even in the "boonies" in the states, you are often within a short drive to a large city. You have a country which is smaller than the size of canada, and has a population 10 times ours. There isn't a whole lot of "boonies" left in the USA.
there's ton of these boonies in the states.
Just drive down oregon coast, all those little towns are boonies. Same if you go east past Seattle, there's ton of these little one horse towns all the way to Spokane. they might have a bigger population, but like japan, all the population is concentrated in the big cities and rural areas are becoming depopulated due to the lack of opportunities. 500-600k usd you can buy in any one of these little towns and own a mansion.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 06:59 AM   #4256
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
"GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALS"
"WAIT FINISH MY HOUSE FIRST AND I WANT SOME HUEVOS RANCHEROS"
I've seen some of the coolest MCM houses in the midwest for like 200k, designed by iconic architects and such. There's tempting elements of it, but what are you gonna do. Sit at home all day in Nebraska?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #4257
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I was just in Wisconsin for a week. Nice enough place, I was right between two major cities (15 min to one, 30 to the other) and a third smaller one but where I was all you see is a clump of houses and fields so it feels like the boonies. The climate is pretty similar to here but maybe a smidge colder for part of the winter. Everyone I met was chill and friendly, but I'm white and so was pretty much everyone else so ymmv there.

A quick look in that area and $472k USD ($638k CAD) gets you a 4 bed, 2.5 bath 2,900 sqft house built in 1990 with a 3 car garage on a 0.65 acre lot that you could easily slap a shop and pool on.

But there's fuck all to do there. Talking to some people basically you can hunt and fish a bit and that's it. It's flat as a pancake and the roads are all dead straight.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #4258
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
^ That's why Hellcats and Teslas are so popular.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #4259
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
nvm -- post deleted
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #4260
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I was just in Wisconsin for a week. Nice enough place, I was right between two major cities (15 min to one, 30 to the other) and a third smaller one but where I was all you see is a clump of houses and fields so it feels like the boonies. The climate is pretty similar to here but maybe a smidge colder for part of the winter. Everyone I met was chill and friendly, but I'm white and so was pretty much everyone else so ymmv there.

A quick look in that area and $472k USD ($638k CAD) gets you a 4 bed, 2.5 bath 2,900 sqft house built in 1990 with a 3 car garage on a 0.65 acre lot that you could easily slap a shop and pool on.

But there's fuck all to do there. Talking to some people basically you can hunt and fish a bit and that's it. It's flat as a pancake and the roads are all dead straight.
Heh used to work for a US company based out of a Milwaukee suburb. Senior Execs would have virtual town halls where they'd introduce themselves. They'd always attend calls from their massive "studies" from houses on acerages. when it came to show and tell it was always pictures of them on hunting trips posing with rifles and ATVs.

Us lowly worker peasants in our tiny shoebox condos cannot relate.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #4261
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
a friend of mine just moved to atlanta. her apartment is bigger than my stinking house. its 1800sqft, while my old piece of shit bungalow is only 1300sqft.

her's is only a 1 bedroom too. god bless 'merica and their excess.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #4262

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Heh used to work for a US company based out of a Milwaukee suburb. Senior Execs would have virtual town halls where they'd introduce themselves. They'd always attend calls from their massive "studies" from houses on acerages. when it came to show and tell it was always pictures of them on hunting trips posing with rifles and ATVs.

Us lowly worker peasants in our tiny shoebox condos cannot relate.
The company I currently work for is based in a Milwaukee suburb. There's bound to be a few but it'd be funny if it was the same one.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #4263
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The company I currently work for is based in a Milwaukee suburb. There's bound to be a few but it'd be funny if it was the same one.
Does your company currently have an NBA stadium's naming rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
a friend of mine just moved to atlanta. her apartment is bigger than my stinking house. its 1800sqft, while my old piece of shit bungalow is only 1300sqft.

her's is only a 1 bedroom too. god bless 'merica and their excess.

Most 'muricans don't give a crap about scarcity or preserving the natural environment. Oh wanna live somewhere warm? How about we terraform a swamp the size of a state so you can have a waterfront house? This is the country that pioneered living in a desert they could teach the Saudi's a thing or two. Wanna live in a suburb but it's too crowded for your tastes? Well we've got plenty of Exurbs you can live in - this kinda shit just does not fly in Canada.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 12-13-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #4264

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
PeePee and the Cons seem to have been consistently polling a few percentage points higher than Trudeau and the Liberals have at the federal level lately. And generally speaking, when the economy isn't doing well, the incumbents get tossed out regardless of whether it is actually their fault or not.

In that sense, I am really kind of gloomy about the Liberals being able to pull out another win. Potentially, a change in leadership might draw some of the swing voters back, but I don't really see that happening for now.
We won't have an election for a few years now, polls mean nothing right now.

I'm certain PeePee will have enough years here to put his proverbial foot in his mouth and fuck up any chances of winning a general election.

Has JT ever indicated if he'll run for another term?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #4265
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Peepee is avoiding putting his foot in his mouth the only way he can avoid it. Refusing to talk to anyone about anything since he really has no ideas, no platform, no plan other than “trudeaus fault” for everything the entire planet is facing.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #4266

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Peepee is avoiding putting his foot in his mouth the only way he can avoid it. Refusing to talk to anyone about anything since he really has no ideas, no platform, no plan other than “trudeaus fault” for everything the entire planet is facing.
I didn't realize PP races a Honda?

But unfortunately such has always been politics, though it has gotten worse in the last decade.

You denounce the other party for doing something, but when it's your turn in office you do exactly the same thing. Rinse and repeat.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #4267

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Does your company currently have an NBA stadium's naming rights?
Not that I'm aware of, it's currently only a 100ish person company.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2022, 02:46 PM   #4268
linguistic ninja

Ah okay definitely not the same company then

Old 12-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #4269
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Yah, all I want is a 4 car garage to tinker around in. Anything like that around here is the old ass legacy homes in Shaunessy or West Van.

I've been looking to get out of here for the better part of 10 years now and if it werent' for my elderly parents, I probably would've moved far away already. It's the damn weather... 2 months of sun and 10 months of overcast/rain with maybe a week of snow. It's just depressing here most of the year.

Chances are, when my parents pass, I'm probably heading to Hawaii. I already spend 2-3 months in the winter there. Trying out the various islands. I like Oahu but too many tourists so likely the big island of Hawaii. This may sound familiar to Vancourites but you can go skiing in the morning and the beach in the afternoon... lol... but like an actual beach where the water is warm and the sand is fine, not the crushed rocks that we call sand here.

The one downside... cars will rust there
Old 12-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #4270

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Yah, all I want is a 4 car garage to tinker around in. Anything like that around here is the old ass legacy homes in Shaunessy or West Van.

I've been looking to get out of here for the better part of 10 years now and if it werent' for my elderly parents, I probably would've moved far away already. It's the damn weather... 2 months of sun and 10 months of overcast/rain with maybe a week of snow. It's just depressing here most of the year.

Chances are, when my parents pass, I'm probably heading to Hawaii. I already spend 2-3 months in the winter there. Trying out the various islands. I like Oahu but too many tourists so likely the big island of Hawaii. This may sound familiar to Vancourites but you can go skiing in the morning and the beach in the afternoon... lol... but like an actual beach where the water is warm and the sand is fine, not the crushed rocks that we call sand here.

The one downside... cars will rust there
Hawaii car culture kind of sucks imo, you are stuck on a little island, there's not a lot of places to drive, and shipping is worse than Canada. And yes the aforementioned rust.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:39 AM   #4271
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
First off it isn't two months of sun, weather is pretty favorable in van from like mid-may all the way to end of september on average. Just look at this year, it was awesome into october, and we had what almost 4 months without hardly any rain?

And the rest of the year save for a couple cold snaps a snow storms (which can be fun if you are just prepared unlike the average idiot), the weather is pretty mild. Weather in vancouver is mild compared to anywhere else in the country. I work up in the yukon, it snows here actually 8 months out of the year, it is currently -15, and by saturday it will be a cold snap and -45. This is a dog shit place to live if you ask me.

Yeah of course if you are going to compare vancouver to hawaii or the bahamas, its going to not seem favorable. If all you want is sun go south, something tells me your depressing outlook will just follow you when you can't go outside because it is 45 degrees and your skin will melt.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #4272
linguistic ninja

I don't think Hawaii ever gets to 45 degrees since they're oceanic islands not an inland desert. But to each their own. I think Hawaii is a fantastic vacation destination but living there is probably another thing all together. Coupled with the fact it's crazy expensive now and the locals there are getting less and less receptive to outsiders coming to their islands and wrecking their idyllic home.

There's a reason most Canadians snowbird/retire to Arizona or Florida. Cheap cheap cheap sun. And no one cares if you build more subdivisions in the desert or swamp.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:22 AM   #4273
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
I've visited a guy with a house on Steveston Hwy, and he has an old stable (!!!) in his yard. There were 6 or 8 stalls in total, with a wide corridor in the middle, and there is more than enough room to pull cars into each stall. In fact, that's exactly what he did, although I think he only had 1 car in there at the time. And that's in addition to his garage too. It didn't seem like he was doing any farming at all, so it probably wasn't zoned as farmland somehow.

And then of course, there are the farm houses, like stuff along No. 6, south of Westminster Hwy.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:48 PM   #4274

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I got triggered by PeePee today.

Was getting ready to hit the gym and had the news in the background, PeePee was giving a speech in the house, his usual crap, decrying Trudeau and inflation. He said one line that stuck out to me though.

He was saying "Mothers are having to mix their babies milk with water because they can't afford to pay for milk in this country due to Trudeau's inflation" (something along those lines).

What is this the 1930's?

Where the fuck does this guy get these silly canned lines? More so, who even falls for that crap?

It just struck me as so unscrupulous to even try to utter such a fake "gotcha" like that. Who the hell is having to resort to mixing their milk with water to afford feeding their children in this country?

Classically, he offers no solution to his bullshit story either, are the Cons planning to give away free milk to the public if he's elected?

I hate fucking politics.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #4275

That doesn't even make sense. Babies either get breastmilk from their mom or formula, you don't give them milk. You can get premixed formula that's ready to go but iirc it costs more than the powder so anyone hurting for money is going to be buying powder. Which you then mix with water because that's how it works.

PP detached from reality and making up nonsense as usual.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: