REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #4351
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
People here think they are hot shit when they are some junior investment adviser/bank teller and feel like they can have this holier than thou attitude even though everyone involved is making peanuts on the same grind.

Canada has basically enabled this class war regardless of whoever is in political power and it’s really gross tbh. It’s no wonder every ma and pop shop fails, greed pushes long time restaurants and businesses out of their locations etc. because in Canada that type of thing is practically encouraged
It's a side effect of new money vs old money I think
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #4352
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,577 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
One thing I really noticed while away which is very evident in Vancouver and Canada is that people have no respect for the service industry here. Those fucking losers picking up garbage or serving you food hah! Fucking bums.

People picking up garbage, or working in transit selling tickets, or serving/preparing food, all over Europe these people seem to take pride in their work and aren’t just sulking with their lot in life, have a smile on their face etc.

People here think they are hot shit when they are some junior investment adviser/bank teller and feel like they can have this holier than thou attitude even though everyone involved is making peanuts on the same grind.

Canada has basically enabled this class war regardless of whoever is in political power and it’s really gross tbh. It’s no wonder every ma and pop shop fails, greed pushes long time restaurants and businesses out of their locations etc. because in Canada that type of thing is practically encouraged
You make it sound like it's Canada only. It's even worse in the US.

What you're experiencing is the result of free market capitalism, and Reaganomics continually pushed by fiscal conservatives.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #4353
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
The price of food in Europe has a lot to do with the Common Agricultural Policy:

https://agriculture.ec.europa.eu/com.../cap-glance_en

Canada is not all roses, but lots of comparing apples to oranges in this thread. But, I guess this is what happens when people choose to only see what they want to see.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #4354
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
At some point you shouldn’t need a poli science degree to understand the ins and outs of not being able to put food on the table when you’re making 60k a year.

When food prices double and triple there shouldn’t be some sort of justification for it because at the end of the day it’s largely corporate greed as the cause
Old 01-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #4355
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
IMO Costco pricing has never been great for fresh groceries and produce.
On produce, yes a bunch of stuff you can usually get the same or slightly better pricing when it's on sale at a regular grocery store for the same quantities (I know you can find better deals on bell peppers, grapes etc when they're on sale at the regular grocers).

Some things are way better, like a 905g of snap peas is like $8 at Costco these days, but a 680g bag of the same Mann brand is $11 at Save on Foods.

The catch, is that the Costco pricing is consistent and you don't need to wait for those particular sales to come up. So averaged across everything it works out better (Especially if you bounce around various grocery stores trying to get those various sale prices, what's your gas & time worth?).

The big differentiator In my experience is that Costco's produce is WAY fresher and lasts WAY longer before starting to spoil.

I mean it's certainly only worth it if you have the means to consume the quantities that you have to buy. If you're wasting it, that just goes out the window.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 01-05-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #4356
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,569 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
At some point you shouldn’t need a poli science degree to understand the ins and outs of not being able to put food on the table when you’re making 60k a year.

When food prices double and triple there shouldn’t be some sort of justification for it because at the end of the day it’s largely corporate greed as the cause
So now you agree with the NDP?

https://www.ndp.ca/investigate-corpo...N_TW_JS_EN_ALL

Quote:
oin Jagmeet Singh and the NDP in demanding Parliament investigate grocery CEOs and skyrocketing food prices.

Corporate grocery chains have pocketed $2.3 billion in profits in 2022 so far, while nearly a quarter of Canadians have reported going hungry.

The Liberals have moved mountains to support big corporations and their CEOs who make their money off the backs of hardworking Canadians. And the Conservatives aren’t interested in tackling the corporate greed that drives prices up for you and your family. They want you to be on your own.

Canadians aren't driving inflation — greedy CEOs are. So, why is it you and your family who pay for it?

Join our fight to investigate CEOs driving up the cost of groceries.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #4357

Thanked 31,906 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:

Man..... that vacation cleared your head something fierce.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #4358

Thanked 31,906 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That’s always been true even 20 years ago I noticed in europe fresh food was super cheap and processed foods were super expensive… opposite of North America
Because of a couple reasons.
Our growing season is pretty shit in most of the country.
The bigger reason is our entire fucking economy is based on real estate so we butcher any and all farmland we have for short term profits.
Cheap processed foods is thanks to the giant trailer park an hour south.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 07:05 PM   #4359
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
We don't totally butcher all of it. We just waste it on more stupid wineries.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:07 PM   #4360

Any land worth farming, especially for major food crop production is in the ALR, so it's not real estate encroaching on farmland.

Farmers are going to grow what makes them the most money, and if that happens to be wine grapes over potatoes, you can't fault them for that. Unless you want to heavily subsidize the potatoes. Also many of the fields where grapes can grow are not suitable for other crops.

The biggest one is growing season. Very hard to compete with somewhere that gets a growing season twice as long, and doesn't need greenhouses outside of that.

The second one is labour cost. The USA has mexico right next door, cheap labour, before counting the illegals.

Europe is similar, Spain, France, Germany have the eastern bloc countries. Poland is like Europe's mexico. My wife's cousins in Poland do the whole temp work picking veggies in Germany thing for a fraction of the cost of employing a German.

I mean with the whole brexit thing Britain might not even be capable of having a soft fruit growing industry anymore, labour is just not cheap enough to make the industry viable in the country anymore:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 01-05-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:07 AM   #4361
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
i can't recall what show i was watching, but farming was a dying trade, too hard to make $, and that it would be a good idea if we want produce etc, that gov step in to run farms, etc or the industry will die and we may run in to crop shortage...not sure how accurate the statement is

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:16 AM   #4362
Performance Moderator

I've seen wquite a few shows/docs on USA farming, and the main problem there was giant corporations coming in and pitting farmers against each other and nickle and diming them down to the thinnest of margins and expecting massive volumes (forcing them to use chemicals to aid growth -- ie: Monsanto stuff) and then when they go broke swooping in and buying their farms off them.

Monsanto itself is not just a chemical producer, they also are massive food supply producers... major conflict of interest if you ask me!

There is a big of a resurgence though for boutique farmers and meat producers though as they're promoting the health and sustainability angle and quite a few people even in rural areas are willing to buy into it and pay a little bit more for quality.

Costco roasted chickens were a huge part of this nonsense, the whole keeping their chicken priced at $7 no matter what the cost... well... there's a big cost.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 AM   #4363

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
A delicious cost.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #4364

Those Costco chickens are nasty lol so slimy
Old 01-06-2023, 08:02 AM   #4365

Yeah I like getting crispy skin on my chicken.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #4366

can you take it home and air fry it after to make it crispy or will it dry out all the juices?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 01-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #4367

Thanked 7,577 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Lol Galen Weston is trending on twitter.

Truly something all sides can get behind, I am here for it:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:57 AM   #4368

I’ve never been one of those people “eAt tHe rICh!!!” as I think some of it is unfounded nonsense depending on the situation. I also don’t think people like Chip Wilson, Jim Pattinson, etc. are really the issue as while they’ve probably stepped on many people to get where they are, they are basically self-made. They individually are responsible for employment, industry etc.

People like Galen Weston, Darren Entwistle, etc. these are just fucking CEO’s of companies who have lined their pockets with the profits off the backs of peoples telecom bills and groceries. These companies feign their humanitarian sides and then fuck over everyone involved in their companies through off-shoring, outsourcing, contracting.

I had this conversation with a friend the other night, and I may have already mentioned this in a previous post but many of these companies are killing the middle class.

There is no reason a CEO of any company should be getting 150 million dollar packages etc. when you’re providing essential services, food, etc. it’s fucking gross
Old 01-06-2023, 10:07 AM   #4369
Performance Moderator

Nevermind the fact he was born into the position. He didn't create fuck all and doesn't have any special skills besides being a sperm in his dad's ballsack.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:38 AM   #4370

i never understood why he wanted to be in his own commercials, he doesn't seem to be the type that resonates with people, seems like quite the opposite...

guess he saw a lot of wendy's commercials and thought he could do the same

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #4371

Yea except Dave Thomas was still flipping burgers up until he died, gaylon probably wouldn’t be caught dead even eating a burger
Old 01-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #4372
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
This is what I find so disappointing about those on the right. They'd rather spend more time whining about gender pronouns, COVID/Masks, and all these other stupid culture-war issues while supporting a party that enriches and entrenches this style of oligarchy.

The Weston's donate millions to Conservative thinktanks like the Fraser Institute in order to push policies that destroy the middle class:

https://rabble.ca/economy/follow-mon...weston-family/

I will never understand it.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #4373
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Yea except Dave Thomas was still flipping burgers up until he died, gaylon probably wouldn’t be caught dead even eating a burger
Checkmate

Old 01-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #4374
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Excuse me, Hondaracer, but what do you have to say about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #4375

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Checkmate

I picture this like on the simpsons where krusty the clown eats a bite of his burger than spits it out off camera

I see that gaylon is a man of culture after all!