REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #4876
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Jt going to be alright. Maybe we can finally get Taylor swift to pay a visit.

Advertisement

Last edited by Manic!; 08-02-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:44 PM   #4877
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I was talking about this with friends yesterday, but do you guys notice how quickly all this immigration from South Asia has appeared in your day-to-day lives?

I remember only a few years ago (maybe roughly 4 or less), I'd go to any service-related establishment and still see a mix of different demographics working. Lets say in a McDonald's or whatever establishment you might pose.

Nowadays I notice every place I patron the service workers are literally 90% South Asian (Indian) if not all.

I've never really noticed that in the past before Trudeau came into office.

It's quite the change in such a short period of time.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #4878
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
It’s trudeaus labour army

Someone’s gotta serve the likes of Gaylon Weston etc. lol

Live on the street by day, serve fine dining to knob CEO’s by night, the Canadian dream
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-02-2023, 01:07 PM   #4879
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Really/ I thought pretty much every A&W or Tim Horton's or Subway I've ever been in within the lower mainland or fraser valley for the last 10+ years is all south asian or filipino staffed. This isn't a recent thing to my eyes?

Only if you go out to the boonies do you see white people working at those places.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #4880
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
yep that's not recent at all. i've been noticing this for like probably at least 6-7 years, probably more. when the TFW program came around, these were the first establishments to take full advantage of it. nowadays TFWs are used all over the place, but in the beginning it was mainly places like these.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #4881

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Most of the ones I've been to in small prairie towns over the last 15 years were the same. That's not a new thing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #4882
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
^ I thought so too, but actually when I thought about it, it used to be more mixed (chinese, caucasian, etc.) but they were younger kids who were in school/fresh out of school.

Nowadays it seems like it's more older (30-something) SE asians.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #4883

I think you guys are vastly underestimating these numbers

Every truck driver, Amazon driver, Best Buy driver are these TFW. My friend was staying at the Fairmont pac Tim a few months ago and needed a couple towels, he opened the door and it’s 2 30 somthing Indian guys who couldn’t even speak enough English to understand the need for towels.

Theatres, grocery stores, etc. are getting filled with these TFW, any labour, as cheap as possible

This Trudeau news is so great hehehe

There is no occupation where it’s more important to be the “family man”

Who the fuck is Trudeau to lead this country or tell any of us how to live when the guy can’t even manage his own household. Fucking clown, bye bye!!
Old 08-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #4884

Family has run a business for decades. For many years our 1 to 3 employees where white. Not that many non whites to hire. Over time it got harder to hire people. More immigrants came into town and we started hiring them.

Immigrants come here to work. I know a guy that has a bunch of last food franchises. He tells me a story about Becky who can't come into work today because her boyfriends (of 3 weeks) sisters best friends cousin is having a birthday party at Cactus. She will blow $150 and be broke asking for more shifts the next week. You will never have that happen with immigrants.

Last 3 franchises that have opened up in Nanaimo have been owned by Indian born in India. Why? Because they are willing to put in the long hours and have an easier time finding employee's.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:45 PM   #4885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think you guys are vastly underestimating these numbers

Every truck driver, Amazon driver, Best Buy driver are these TFW. My friend was staying at the Fairmont pac Tim a few months ago and needed a couple towels, he opened the door and it’s 2 30 somthing Indian guys who couldn’t even speak enough English to understand the need for towels.

Theatres, grocery stores, etc. are getting filled with these TFW, any labour, as cheap as possible

This Trudeau news is so great hehehe

There is no occupation where it’s more important to be the “family man”

Who the fuck is Trudeau to lead this country or tell any of us how to live when the guy can’t even manage his own household. Fucking clown, bye bye!!
A guy with no plans to have kids and supports trump complaining about JT not being a family man. What a joke.

If your wife would have shot out 5 or 6 kids maybe we would not have to bring in immigrants to work at McDicks.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #4886

Lol I’m not the leader of a G7 country so I’m not exactly under the same microscope. Evidently though my household is on much firmer ground than Justin.

I will give you one thing, Indian people GRIND. It’s definitely a cultural thing for hard work which a lot of western society would never understand.

I was having a conversation with a co-worker about this the other day regarding Indian builders. Your typical buddy-guy May build a pretty crappy house, but you know that guy is gonna he working evenings, weekends, and onto the next project.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-02-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #4887
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Indian people as a whole are just as lazy and hardworking as any other nationality or race. Maybe even more so one way, I mean have you seen India?

It's selection bias. People that can come to Canada are the ones who can GRIND and make it no matter what. Whether the guys with MBAs and PhDs working in a no-degree necessary tech job or ones that work 5 McJobs to support their extended family back home. Cream de la creme rises and Canada/US/Aus/NZ/West love to skim off the top.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #4888
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
In my experience in a professional services setting, Eastern European immigrants (Ukraine, Lithuania, Russia) are particularly solid.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:28 PM   #4889
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Last 3 franchises that have opened up in Nanaimo have been owned by Indian born in India. Why? Because they are willing to put in the long hours and have an easier time finding employee's.
If you want to be anecdotal, it works the other way too.

I used to walk my ass down Hwy 10 to the A&W at 152 and 56 Ave like once a week for coupon lunch when I worked near there... I got to know the owner who was a younger east indian fellow... his sister, who owned franchises of her own that her parents got her seed money to start the first one, literally GAVE him the restaurant to run as a "show me" because he was constantly getting into trouble and didn't want to go to university, so she told him to do this and if he did a good job she'd gift it to him.

So, uhm, not really had work in that case... just a rich family and a very generous and patient sister.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:24 PM   #4890
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
I forget the program name but an EI old co-worker of mine said immigration/PR scams are dime a dozen back home and here.

Local company posts job ad hiring locals
Doesn't actually hire anybody
Applies for some federal/provincial program where an overseas worker gets to come over and work due to local job market difficulties
Company pockets most of the grant money from this program and pays the worker pennies on the dollar

On paper these workers will be brought over on falsified employment letters hiring them as managers etc but in reality they are working entry level minimum wage jobs. You'll see this more often in smaller towns/cities as no one will be checking up on them to see if the jobs are legit or not.

Case in point I was up in Powell River with this coworker last year when he started chatting up a McDonald's employee sweeping the floor. They were a manager on paper but was basically stuck there under false pretenses making minimum wage.
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #4891
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
When I say that by the way, I understand that Tim Horton's, etc., have been hiring FTWs for some time now, I'm not ignoring that. I'm also not talking about small town Canada, where yes you still see locals working there. My comments are specifically to the major cities in BC, specifically the GVRD.

What I'm saying is that it used to be more a mix of Filipinos, Whites, Chinese, and various other high-school kids working in these jobs. I don't see that as often, most places almost entirely are Indian FTWs. There's no denying there has been a huge influx of Indian immigration in the last few years to Canada.

https://www.y-axis.com/news/indians-...%20last%20year.

The number of Indians immigrating to Canada has increased more than three times in 2022 compared to 2020

The data is there. I'm fine with immigration, but there is a problem with too much at one time, and too much of one thing. This is what turns people into Conservative ideologies.

I know the next comment is purely anecdotal, but what I find with some Indian FTWs working these jobs, they simply don't care about the job itself, or quality of their performance. I really find that jarring. You go to a Tim Horton's run by Filipinos as opposed to Indians and most times the difference in quality is quite apparent.

These jobs suck, I understand that, no one wants to do them, but god damn, I'm paying full price, there's no excuse to half-ass your product simply because you hate the job.

I'm spewing verbal diarrhea here, but it's these micro-interactions that change people's opinions on immigration. I'm surprised how many lefty friends of mine are starting to parrot the same comments and turning against the accelerated curve of immigration we're having in this country.

When the lefties start to pivot and turn on a "progressive" government, you know damn well there's a distinct policy issue.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #4892

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
If you want to be anecdotal, it works the other way too.

I used to walk my ass down Hwy 10 to the A&W at 152 and 56 Ave like once a week for coupon lunch when I worked near there... I got to know the owner who was a younger east indian fellow... his sister, who owned franchises of her own that her parents got her seed money to start the first one, literally GAVE him the restaurant to run as a "show me" because he was constantly getting into trouble and didn't want to go to university, so she told him to do this and if he did a good job she'd gift it to him.

So, uhm, not really had work in that case... just a rich family and a very generous and patient sister.
That's called being rich. You think galen weston jr founded superstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Indian people as a whole are just as lazy and hardworking as any other nationality or race. Maybe even more so one way, I mean have you seen India?

It's selection bias. People that can come to Canada are the ones who can GRIND and make it no matter what. Whether the guys with MBAs and PhDs working in a no-degree necessary tech job or ones that work 5 McJobs to support their extended family back home. Cream de la creme rises and Canada/US/Aus/NZ/West love to skim off the top.
It's less to do with ethnicity and more to do with coming from a country with little opportunity to one where people are begging for workers.

If you watch the movie the founder, Ray Kroc first sold Mcdonald's franchises to rich people. Those locations did poorly because the owners did not care and would rather be playing golf. Then he started selling them to young families who put their life savings into them. They worked their asses off because if they didn't they would go broke.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #4893

Hate to use this word as I know it triggers everyone but to quote Ben Stiller, sorry Justin ya went full Libtard, ya never go full libtard.

JT’s liberals have gone so full blown far left that now we have refugees sleeping on the streets and left leaning politicians in Olivia chow etc. are now asking people to bring these people into their homes? Lol

Yea.. that’s a message everyone can buy into lol..

Now due to the current liberal policies we’re going to be subjected to crazy religion based conservative values becsuse JT and his clowns couldn’t just be somewhat moderate with their policies EVERYTHING had to be full blown as hard as possible left leaning and if you didn’t agree you were a POS biggot. Crime is out of control, the drug policy is slowly becoming an absolute failure, everyone has less disposable income than ever before and the people the liberals said they cared about during Covid are now homeless or worse.

The next 10 years lay squarely at the feet of the voters who’ve kept JT’s liberals in power this long. You can roll the NDP schills that supported Jagmeet into thay group as well full well knowing none of the BS he was talking about in regards to the coalition would ever come to fruition.

Everyone is shit, PP is shit. But JT just couldn’t relax and now we’re here.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #4894
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
You literally love to use that word, so don't pretend otherwise.
My issue with immigration in this country right now is it's nothing to do with giving people a better life, it's based on keeping giant corporations profitable by filling shitty jobs with cheap labour, with no rational thought about how it affects them and existing Canadians. It's purely an economic motivation, that actually isn't positively affecting the economy other than keeping cardboard hashbrowns profitable.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #4895

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/poil...ions-1.6502699

Quote:
Poilievre says Canada's immigration system is broken, sidesteps target cut questions
Does anyone think pp will cut the number of immigrants coming to Canada?
Old 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #4896
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Probably. He will make the same corporations more profitable by relaxing labour laws and giant tax breaks.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:47 PM   #4897
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
left leaning politicians in Olivia chow etc. are now asking people to bring these people into their homes? Lol

Yea.. that’s a message everyone can buy into lol..
It's like you just read the clickbait titles and not the actual articles.

Quote:
Ms. Chow’s plan also included a program to encourage residents to offer available rental units at or below market rate to the asylum seekers through DonateTO. Landlords can offer their properties through the portal, which will be shared with agencies helping find more permanent accommodations for asylum seekers.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #4898

Is that suppose to make it better? Lol
Old 08-02-2023, 08:09 PM   #4899
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Justin Trudeau is a separatist afterall.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:40 PM   #4900
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You literally love to use that word, so don't pretend otherwise.
My issue with immigration in this country right now is it's nothing to do with giving people a better life, it's based on keeping giant corporations profitable by filling shitty jobs with cheap labour, with no rational thought about how it affects them and existing Canadians. It's purely an economic motivation, that actually isn't positively affecting the economy other than keeping cardboard hashbrowns profitable.
Let me ask you one thing...

If a job position can be done in another country that's not Canada for 1/10 of the wage paid here, what exactly do you think that's gonna happen if there's no immigration for cheap labor or in your word "keeping giant corporations profitable"?