REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #5001
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Liberals are going to win another minority gov't again lol.
While this would be my preferred outcome, given how "well" things are going for Turd and the Libs, I am really not expecting yet another Liberals victory, even if it was a Liberals minority government. Instead, I think the most likely outcome is that the Cons take a minority win.

But here is where things get interesting. According to some political podcasts that I follow, our parliamentary legislation is structured in such a way that the incumbent PM doesn't necessarily have to concede his position as PM. As the sitting PM, as long as he can come up with enough parliamentary support to keep him there as PM, he can continue to be PM. At the practical level, what this means is, assuming the Libs and NDP have won enough seats to form government, they can announce -- after the election -- to form a formal or informal coalition Lib-NDP gov, and it would all be completely legitimate. A formal coalition gov would mean the formal inclusion of NDP MPs into the federal cabinet, with Jagmeet likely being invited to become the deputy PM.
An informal coalition gov would be something like the current supply and confidence agreement, with no NDP MPs being in the cabinet.

Worthy of note is -- coalition govs are very common in Europe. Detractors will claim they are hugely inefficient, but supporters will say it provides a wider representation of voices in Parliament.

As a matter of tradition though, coalition govs are extremely rare in Canadian history. We usually only go by a majority / minority gov model, and if a single party didn't win enough seats to form a minority gov, the party leader usually just concedes (on the election).

I am not an NDP fan by any stretch of imagination, but if push comes to shove and it is a choice between a PeePee gov vs a Lib-NDP coalition, I'd say we should break tradition and go with the coalition model, even if its sole purpose is to fxxk PeePee's PM dreams up lol~
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #5002
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ that would raise the stakes of an Alberta separation. Although it may be possible and within the rules of parliament and what the Lieutenant Governor could do, etc. that would lead to a mild civil war.

Last edited by whitev70r; 08-24-2023 at 09:23 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:55 AM   #5003
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Anyone that continues to vote liberal deserves every financial hardship that comes with that vote.
i don't like any of the choices, should i recuse myself from voting?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #5004
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Imo that most recent vote down for proportional representation was a huge misstep and took our democracy back a decade

Of course the majority of people who voted on it were probably too dumb or too misinformed to understand what they were voting on, and Turd and Co seemingly went out of their way to make it as confusing as possible
Old 08-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #5005

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ that would raise the stakes of an Alberta separation. Although it may be possible and within the rules of parliament and what the Lieutenant Governor, could do, etc. that would lead to a mild civil war.
You know, while I am not quite ready to openly admit or embrace is, a growing part of me increasingly doesn't give a damn about those fxxking crybabies in Alberta and Quebec. If they wanna fxxking leave Confederation -- STFU and just leave already. Let's see how well they'd survive on their own.

(And it's the same thing with relationships -- if the GF/wife wants to leave because of irreconcilable differences, just leave already. After a certain point of trying to make things work and it still doesn't, there is really no point.)

I think Quebec will head for a rapid downward spiral in almost every aspect of life if they separate. On the other hand, Alberta may continue to be OK on the economic front, but will become an even bigger right wing redneck state.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #5006
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
i remember that debate in school, quebec wanting to leave but still maintain economic ties etc, which sounded like be on their "own" but powered by mommy/daddy

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #5007

The rest of Canada probably would have been better off if we had just let them go. Given we didn’t have to prop them up going forward

BC and Alberta could probably split off and be more prosperous than the rest of Canada combined, yet we all get shafted
Old 08-24-2023, 10:18 AM   #5008

Quote:
The rest of Canada probably would have been better off if we had just let them go. Given we didn’t have to prop them up going forward

BC and Alberta could probably split off and be more prosperous than the rest of Canada combined, yet we all get shafted
Politically and policy-wise, BC and Alberta are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so a BC and Alberta leaving together to form a single state is going to be a very bad idea.

As Alberta is generally a contributor to the Canadian economy, losing them would hurt the rest of Canada financially and economically. But when they are such a PITA, I'd really rather take the financial blow than to put up with their antics and tantrums.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #5009
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Here is the reason why cons will never win.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...nder-1.6945362

Quote:
As conservative premiers change the rules on pronoun use in schools, members of the federal Conservative grassroots want Pierre Poilievre to wade further into the debate around gender.

A submission advancing to a policy convention next month proposes discussion of a Conservative government prohibiting "life altering medicinal or surgical interventions" for those under 18 who are looking to transition.

The pitch is similar to ones found across the United States — including in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill in May banning gender-affirming care for transgender youth. Many health professionals, parents and advocates of LGBTQ+ youth say that bill places them at greater risk for suicide and depression.

As federal Conservative leader, Poilievre has largely focused on the cost-of-living crisis gripping millions, high interest rates and a lack of affordable housing.

But parts of his base are hoping Poilievre will broaden his opposition agenda to include more of a focus on social issues.

Poilievre was asked by reporters Wednesday about his openness to outlawing gender-affirming care for children. "I haven't had a chance to study all the proposals at our convention," he said, "but we'll take a careful look at every proposal and decide whether or not it lines up with our platform."

Reacting to New Brunswick's decision to no longer make it mandatory for teachers to use a child's preferred pronouns without parental consent, Poilievre has said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should "butt out" of decisions by provinces and parents.

On Tuesday, Saskatchewan adopted a similar policy. The province's advocate for children called the policy's potential to undermine the rights of children concerning.

Manitoba Progressive Conservative Leader Heather Stefanson also promised that if re-elected, her government would give more "parental rights" to families when it comes to the curriculum and presentations by outside groups.

The term "parental rights" is increasingly used to refer to the concerns some families and individuals have about what schools teach children about sexual orientation and gender expression, with a particular focus on policies around transgender and nonbinary students.

It is an issue that has picked up steam within the federal Conservative grassroots since the last gathering, held virtually, under former leader Erin O'Toole.

In the contest to replace him, which Poilievre won by a landslide last September, former leadership candidate and rural Ontario Conservative MP Leslyn Lewis vowed to introduce a bill protecting "parental rights."
Free speech, housing
Old 08-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #5010
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
The problem with Quebec succeeding is literally a quarter of our military is from that damn province.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...c-c001-eng.htm

It's kind of hilarious that a massive portion of our government and military are from a province that doesn't even want to be a part of the country
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #5011
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Politically and policy-wise, BC and Alberta are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum, so a BC and Alberta leaving together to form a single state is going to be a very bad idea.

As Alberta is generally a contributor to the Canadian economy, losing them would hurt the rest of Canada financially and economically. But when they are such a PITA, I'd really rather take the financial blow than to put up with their antics and tantrums.
I think you seriously underestimate the consequences of AB and then potentially SK and MB separating. They are the boiler room of the Canadian economy, unlike QC which leaches off the rest of the country and gets the vast majority of its equalization transfers from AB. That's why they wanted to leave but retain economic ties (which is bullshit). The people of Quebec have been sold the biggest lies by their politicians convincing them that its possible and a good idea. If AB left QC would go broke immediately, maritime provinces would be in big trouble, and the entire country would destabilize. Without Alberta powering the Fed holy shit would it get ugly fast, its not something that should be taken lightly. But this is the conversation we're now having as Canadians as a result of politics over the last eight years. We should all be zooming out and looking at that for what it is.

JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #5012
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Here is the reason why cons will never win.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...nder-1.6945362
I think you're overestimating the amount of people that care about minors having access to "life altering medicinal or surgical interventions" or being called "they/them" in grade 3.

Of all the shit I care about in the next election this ain't it
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #5013

A liberal overly concerned with issues that affect a tiny fraction of the population? That’s weird, that never happens!

I’ll ask the same question I asked a while back, now that life in general is substantially worse than the first time I asked.

What is better in Canada now than it was 8 years ago?
Old 08-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #5014

While Alberta is certainly punching quite a bit above its weight class in terms of economic contribution to the country, I'd still say you are over-emphasizing their economic importance in the bigger Canadian picture.

Alberta accounts for ~12% of the Canadian population while contributing ~15% of Canada's GDP.

BC is roughly on par, accounting for ~14% of the population as well as GDP contribution.

Ontario is in a similar boat -- ~38% for both population and GDP.

Quebec consistently underperforms -- it has ~23% of Canada's population while only accounting for ~20% of the GDP. And because of its (large) population size, they account for over 60% of the equalization payments from the federal gov.

Unsurprisingly, when I had "discussions" with Quebecois over social media about how QC sucks up the bulk of the equalization transfers and is basically the biggest economic leech of the country, they disagreed LOL~ A good number of "reasons" would come up, from how Quebec already have high taxes, to some Quebec healthcare arrangement that I am not familiar with,
Quebec Abatement among others, but I fail understand how those cited reasons would make them less of a leech to the rest of Canada.

As an aside, I wouldn't really put too much weight into the 2 charts that you've included in your post. One is a historic chart dating all the way back to 1961, so much of the data points there are no longer relevant. The other is a single year chart, so it is prone to the ebbs and flows of the economic situation in any given year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
I think you seriously underestimate the consequences of AB and then potentially SK and MB separating. They are the boiler room of the Canadian economy, unlike QC which leaches off the rest of the country and gets the vast majority of its equalization transfers from AB. That's why they wanted to leave but retain economic ties (which is bullshit). The people of Quebec have been sold the biggest lies by their politicians convincing them that its possible and a good idea. If AB left QC would go broke immediately, maritime provinces would be in big trouble, and the entire country would destabilize. Without Alberta powering the Fed holy shit would it get ugly fast, its not something that should be taken lightly. But this is the conversation we're now having as Canadians as a result of politics over the last eight years. We should all be zooming out and looking at that for what it is.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #5015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I think you're overestimating the amount of people that care about minors having access to "life altering medicinal or surgical interventions" or being called "they/them" in grade 3.

Of all the shit I care about in the next election this ain't it

It's a slippery slope. The people behind this are the same people who want to ban abortion, wanted to keep the ban on marijuana, stop gay marriage, and set up barbaric cultural practices hotline.

The cons have zero pro-choice MPs. Every time they bring up these moral issues they lose votes.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #5016

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Some Albertans and Quebecois have been rambling about wanting to separate for a lot longer than the past 8 years lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #5017
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
As an aside, I wouldn't really put too much weight into the 2 charts that you've included in your post. One is a historic chart dating all the way back to 1961, so much of the data points there are no longer relevant. The other is a single year chart, so it is prone to the ebbs and flows of the economic situation in any given year.
Actually it's from 2007-2018, so 10 fiscal years or so...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2023, 08:07 PM   #5018
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
While Alberta is certainly punching quite a bit above its weight class in terms of economic contribution to the country, I'd still say you are over-emphasizing their economic importance in the bigger Canadian picture.

Alberta accounts for ~12% of the Canadian population while contributing ~15% of Canada's GDP.
Each provinces population to GDP contribution is a statistic that doesn't tell the whole story in this discussion, it's pretty irrelevant. The charts in my previous post show how much, with everything considered, Alberta adds to the Canadian fiscal balance. Conversely they show how much the other provinces need Alberta's contribution because if BC and Ontario are the only net positive contributors to the overall economy they absolutely will not keep up with the needs of the others. The 61-17 chart shows how much Alberta has powered the growth of all of Canada by helping other provinces along the way to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars donated to their economies. Alberta's economic importance goes far beyond those numbers as it supplies a substantial amount of the countries market crude, refined gas, and natural gas. If Alberta separates and shuts off all those pipelines or even demands market rates for their energy everyone's energy costs will skyrocket. When natural gas and prices at the pump shoot up so does everything else as we've already seen. I don't even want to think about the inflation that would happen with the increase in energy costs, dump of the value of the Canadian dollar, and all the trickle down effects. Not to mention given Canada's current state simply losing 15% of the economy over night.
Quote:
As already stated that's a ten year chart, and you can extrapolate between the two to see that BC is a relatively new positive contributor while Ontario's overall contribution has shrunk in recent decades compared to the past. These charts show both historical precedent and relatively recent trends in economic power of each province. The data points are absolutely relevant to current and future macro-economics. Losing Alberta would be catastrophic to Canada.

Last edited by JDął; 08-24-2023 at 08:22 PM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #5019

A good question to ask is -- while Alberta has historically been contributing more to Canada than it gets back, how long can this phenomenon continue?

Alberta is able to generate the wealth it does in a large part due to its oil and gas industry. As a practical person, I am not naive enough to think that our world would be able to ditch oil & gas any time soon. However, the winds are definitely shifting. With the recent pause that Alberta has put on its renewable energy sector, it is set to lose anywhere between 12 - 18 months' worth of investments in that sector, possibly longer, and possibly losing its early adopter advantage. And yet Danielle Smith is still dead set on putting all of Alberta's chips on the good ol' oil & gas industry.

As an aside, if Canada really loses Alberta, then the obvious solution is to kick Quebec out as well, and then the money issue will all balance out.

But really, it never fails to amaze me that the federal government is so willing to bend over backwards to appease Quebec when it is basically a money pit -- to both the federal gov as well as the rest of the country. If western provinces receives the same level of treatment as Quebec does from Ottawa, we'd be in a far better position than we are now.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:14 AM   #5020

Have you guys heard of the Million People march? Septemper 21st Jews, Muslims and Christians are going to march in Ottawa to protect the children.

Here is PP talking about it with a Muslim reporter.

https://www.tiktok.com/@awazent/vide...39478698495238

Who knows how many will show up.

Previous protest in Ontario

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/...Fnews%2F374194
Old 08-26-2023, 06:44 AM   #5021
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Wonder if they’ll get into a religious fight along the way. Trololololol
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #5022

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
"I don't care what god you believe in as long as your god justifies bigotry!"
Nice to finally agree on something even if it is anger towards the public education system teaching tolerance.
Waiting patiently for the "it's not tolerance it's grooming" retort.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 AM   #5023

80k in goods stolen in 3 days, almost 60% of the recommended charges thrown out:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9925261/v...o-charges/amp/

Business owners interviewed saying it’s becoming the societal norm to just walk into their stores and walk out with goods.

Canadurrrrr
Old 08-29-2023, 07:30 AM   #5024

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
It's been like that as long as anyone can remember. My house was robbed twice when I was 8 and 10 in edmonton.
Both times the people were caught (with my snes and PS1 respectively) and neither time were they charged because there wasn't enough evidence to make it stick.
Doesn't make it less stupid, but it isn't new.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #5025

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Imo that most recent vote down for proportional representation was a huge misstep and took our democracy back a decade

Of course the majority of people who voted on it were probably too dumb or too misinformed to understand what they were voting on, and Turd and Co seemingly went out of their way to make it as confusing as possible
Um, we never had a referendum for prop rep on the federal level.

I think you're thinking of the provincial referendum in 2018. Nothing to do with Trudeau and the federal liberals.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: