REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:09 AM   #5026
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Strangest shit ... I was talking to a early to mid 20's something fellow and he said that one of the past times of his peers (mostly ladies) is to go shoplifting ... WTF is going on? And I do believe that these people are pretty well to do so it's just for shitz and giggles ... ??!!
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:21 AM   #5027
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Crazy what happens when there are no repercussions for your actions

Obviously what’s changed compared to westophers example as now it’s not just B&E’s but blatant shoplifting with no regard for anything. Walk in, pick something up, walk out, threaten violence when needed. What is a business owner or low level employee going to do?

We’ve created a culture where it’s acceptable to do this. And as per the article, you receive zero punishment for your crime so why wouldn’t you continue to do it?
Old 08-29-2023, 08:23 AM   #5028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Um, we never had a referendum for prop rep on the federal level.

I think you're thinking of the provincial referendum in 2018. Nothing to do with Trudeau and the federal liberals.
Ah yea.. you’re correct

The electoral reform at the federal level that was promised in 2015 by Turd and Co was abandoned when it didn’t suit them
Old 08-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #5029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Crazy what happens when there are no repercussions for your actions

Obviously what’s changed compared to westophers example as now it’s not just B&E’s but blatant shoplifting with no regard for anything. Walk in, pick something up, walk out, threaten violence when needed. What is a business owner or low level employee going to do?

We’ve created a culture where it’s acceptable to do this. And as per the article, you receive zero punishment for your crime so why wouldn’t you continue to do it?
While I totally agree that there should be consequences, I don't think it is effective or efficient to run these people through the system, put them in jail for however long, that actually works out to be more expensive and time consuming in the long run. Maybe some sort of restorative justice where they have to make license plates, clean the neighbourhood, or community service ... I dunno.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #5030

How about after the 30th time, you go away for a little bit?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lib...c0ef72f71/amp/

Quote:
In 2017, Edmonton police tracked 2,880 people who had been arrested and then released on bail or ordered to attend court. In the following three years, 1,784 of them committed another 12,743 crimes, including three homicides.

In 2020, Edmonton police tracked 3,647 similar individuals and found that 2,482 of them went on to commit another 19,186 crimes in the following three years. This time there were 26 homicides.

In Toronto in 2022, there were 44 deaths by shooting with 24 of the alleged killers already out on bail, according to Conservative numbers.
Don’t mind me though, it’s such a right wing wacked out idea to not let violent repeat criminals out continuously to commit more and more crime. I apologize

Everything is shit, but I guess it’s wayyyyy too much to ask to feel some semblance of safety in your community
Old 08-29-2023, 08:49 AM   #5031

I'd have to agree with you about repeat offenders.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #5032
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
It's not that people disagree with what you want, it's that it's not liberal policy that's causing it like you think it is. That's been a Canada thing as long as we have been alive. It doesn't excuse current government from addressing it, but there's a difference between not fixing it and being the cause of it.
Property crime in canada 2021 hit the lowest rate it has been since 1967, so really, that dictates there is probably nowhere to go but up, which it clearly has been. Public perception is based on short term memory, as we know.
Cause of property crime isn't lack of punishment, it's lack of financial opportunity, which I definitely would place some blame on the current government.
Violent crimes were higher from 2001-2012, dropped until 2016 drastically, and have been slowly increasing back to the rates I mentioned.
All this stuff is easily mathematically explained, and easily available, so if you have a perception, just find the numbers and find out if you are right or not. If more people did that we wouldn't have so many stupid news stories and opinions pieces on either side of the spectrum making people think their political party is saving the world while the other ruins it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 08-29-2023 at 09:22 AM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #5033

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Ah yea.. you’re correct

The electoral reform at the federal level that was promised in 2015 by Turd and Co was abandoned when it didn’t suit them
I find it kind of funny to complain about a party you never voted for not doing something, when the party you did vote for had no plans to do that thing either, in fact stating they would actively try to block that thing from happening....
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #5034

Well regardless of the party I am for electoral reform

So I’m not such a blind/biased constituent that i can’t see the good in some of the other parties initiatives
Old 08-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #5035

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
That's fine, but still ironic.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:45 PM   #5036
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It's been like that as long as anyone can remember. My house was robbed twice when I was 8 and 10 in edmonton.
Both times the people were caught (with my snes and PS1 respectively) and neither time were they charged because there wasn't enough evidence to make it stick.
Doesn't make it less stupid, but it isn't new.
How can there be no consequences for the perpetators? At a minimum, they were in possession of stolen goods -- a fact that cannot be overturned. Even if it was just a slap on the wrist, charges could have been laid.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see the police not wanting to press charges even if the evidence is there. But that's different than not having enough evidence to make it stick.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #5037
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
How can there be no consequences for the perpetators? At a minimum, they were in possession of stolen goods -- a fact that cannot be overturned. Even if it was just a slap on the wrist, charges could have been laid.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see the police not wanting to press charges even if the evidence is there. But that's different than not having enough evidence to make it stick.
What should be done to someone who steals a couple of chocolate bars or $50 worth of makeup?
Old 08-29-2023, 07:39 PM   #5038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What should be done to someone who steals a couple of chocolate bars or $50 worth of makeup?
It's a waste of resources to be sure, but there should be consequences as a deterrent. Fines / mandatory community service, etc.?

The perpetrator may or may not care, but for those who may be just doing it for shxts and giggles, perhaps the consequences might make them think twice?
Old 08-29-2023, 08:02 PM   #5039
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Strangest shit ... I was talking to a early to mid 20's something fellow and he said that one of the past times of his peers (mostly ladies) is to go shoplifting ... WTF is going on? And I do believe that these people are pretty well to do so it's just for shitz and giggles ... ??!!
The real question is, have you ever shoplifted?

If the answer is no, then your missing out on an "experience", and a feeling like no other.

Il give you some personal experiences, just for ricescene entertainment value
Spoiler!

Middleschool: we had a buddy that would always shoplift at 711, petty shit, just because he knew he could. Eventually he got caught, was banned from the 711. This is the same guy that would eat the meat out of my brother's sandwich every day, because they shared a locker. (He was a thiCC boi)

Middleschool again: another buddy we rode with, would walk into Safeway, and walk right out with a 2L sunny-D, no cashier needed. Why? For the reaction on our faces. It's "what you do" as a teenager

Highschool: can't afford that t shirt you wanted cuz all you do is smoke weed and don't want to work? Well the solution to that, is to shoplift. Got friends that also was that shirt or shoes? PERFECT let's get in on it together. One distracts the storefront person, while the other grabs 2 sets.

Myself: not sure if middleschool, or highschool, I had a "habit" of "picking up" an extra item when buying a chocobar or drink at times. The guys I was with also did it, and you know how peer pressure operates in that time of your life.
Gives you this rush knowing your doing something bad and can get away with it.
Kind of like speeding in a 50 zone, misfiling your taxes, rolling through a stop sign, leaving work 15 minutes early but billing for it, etc.
Anyways: one time I was in some chain corner store:
I walked in and had my mind set on getting a free bar and a free bar only. When I walked in I was already hella suspicious, you could see it on my face. Did too many laps in the store, being shady like a junkie in a store.
Went for a bar, pocketed it. Buddy guy behind the counter straight up asked me what's in my pocket, and at that point, I had this disgusted feeling in my stomach, knowing what I was doing was wrong, and the fact that I got caught. I took it out, gave it back, and walked out of there with the biggest shame I have ever felt. Since then, never stolen again.
It's fun, until it isn't.

Anyone can point a finger at someone else and say "that's wrong" but the reality is, we all do something wrong. Just need the right person to point it out on us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Public shaming infront of MANY people. Preferably with an invite of their parents/friends. If that does not work, then a small fine for a "first" offence

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 05:34 AM   #5040
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
I dated this white chick who’s sister used to get off on shoplifting. Like she had a serious problem. We bailed her outta jail a few times. The final time she tried to jack jewelry and she got into some pretty heavy shit. Sentenced to 5 years.

Messed up that poor girl I was dating…. And in turn ruined our relationship cuz she kept obsessing about her sister.

Great sex though….
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #5041

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I dated this white chick who’s sister used to get off on shoplifting. Like she had a serious problem. We bailed her outta jail a few times. The final time she tried to jack jewelry and she got into some pretty heavy shit. Sentenced to 5 years.

Messed up that poor girl I was dating…. And in turn ruined our relationship cuz she kept obsessing about her sister.

Great sex though….
So you pulled white chicks back in the day, what are you complaining about
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #5042
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
The relationship really went south when Badhobz said "Can we do some roleplay where I'm a guard and you're your sister in jail?"
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #5043
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts

Jesus 68style......

That reminds me of being in a bar once, I tried to hit up the hot front door person.
Asked her out, she said no, I said why not, she said because her BF died, so that was cut short.
I walk over to my buddies, they ask me how it went, I told them the above.
My buddy looks over and says "should have replied: well your still alive aren't you?"
Half of us nearly spat our dranks out

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #5044

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The relationship really went south when Badhobz said "Can we do some roleplay where I'm a guard and you're your sister in jail?"
Things really went south when it turned out Hobz wanted to play the sister.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #5045

OK, less posting about Canadian politics, and more posting about Badhobz and his hot Caucasian ex!
Quote:

Great sex though….
Old 08-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #5046
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:

Great sex though….
What heartless judge sentenced a 82 year old woman to 5 years??
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #5047

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
no, unfortunately it wasnt my Mabel. Although im pretty sure she was a damn fine piece of ass in her prime. She's totally got the Hepburn persona going on, the whole AH-HA!!! HA!!!! darling, why i never .....

Plus she always has a bowl full of bon bon's at her desk.

https://youtu.be/5vyBtRTM9B8?si=Ug9Xkb6FK028l4Eb&t=68
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:30 AM   #5048

Lol.. this is what it’s come to?

Eby begging the bank of Canada not to raise rates?

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...st-rate-hikes/

The fed seems like they have no clue how to control inflation, and as a result our wonderful govt. will force the BoC’s hand in raising rates once again.

If ya voted Liberal, ya voted for rate hikes in insane, out of control spending with no end goal.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:41 AM   #5049
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
CIBC and RBC already released statements saying they don't believe there will be a hike tomorrow.

Just a return to the norm of 20 years solid from before? If it's Liberal policy fault what happened between 1993 and 2005 when Liberals were in power? It steadily dropped save for 1 big spike....

And what happened between 2015 and 2022 when Liberals were in power again?

When Cons took over in 2005 it went up to 5% for like 4 years are we just ignoring that?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:52 AM   #5050

My financial advisor said almost every big bank is factoring in a 50/50 chance of a rate hike.

Controlling inflation is on the govt. not the rates

Also going from 3% to 5% mattered Farrrrrrr less when incomes were $60,000 and homes were $200,000

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-31-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote