REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #5551
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I totally agree, companies will follow their bottom line, but what you're describing is the proverbial race to the bottom.

Yes, people work to survive in places like India, but why should be adopt that mentality?

Just because there are people willing to struggle and suffer more to survive does not mean we should mitigate our society and standards simply because of that fact. We should be a positive example of a balanced and stable society, an example other societies should aspire towards.

As opposed to racing to the bottom, shouldn't we concentrate more on raising the tide to lifts all boats?

To his credit, your savior Trump, espoused those very virtues.
The way I see it is this... of course I am biased AF, but here's the truth that I'm teaching my kids and something I learned from my folks.

If you are thinking to work for money, you are doomed. See the examples above for the crazy prices we used pay for web dev and software engineering in general. Eventually, someone who's "good enough" would come in and undercut you.

The true way forward, for humanity as a whole and best for our children is to get into areas where it's hard for both AI and human: creativity.

There is no limit on where creativity can lead you. And it's hard to replace as everyone would have a different take. You get inspiration from the greatest minds, and work out your own ways.

Creativity doesn't just apply to art, but science as well. Creativity is about thinking outside of the box, while still trying to define a box. I've always taught my kids one thing "try solving the problem before you ask me about it. I'm always there for you to help. But I'd rather be helping you find the solution, than just give it to you."

As far as Trump goes, I don't think he's a great leader, but he more or less follows a principle that I believe in... manage everything, including a country, as a business. Yes... it's not perfect, but it's at least efficient.

When you try to be accommodating to everyone, you just create an environment that fixates on the lowest common denominator. Because that's the only way to accommodate everyone.

Instead, get the idea of this... failure is guaranteed, whether it's for business, being a person, or managing a country. Success is for those who fought above and beyond to avoid failure.

Instead of having a government that looks to set a bar low that allows everyone to achieve mediocracy, be ok for just some to achieve excellence and use the experience or resources of those to help people who fail.

I'm all for pushing for programs that help people to achieve their dreams. Whatever that might be. Get training programs. Provide resources and opportunities for those who just can't make on their own.

Think people in DTES for example, they want to collect gov't subsidy? Get working. Gov't can easily set up subsidized workplaces that do basic hand labor that many businesses need. The problem of getting these people hired for even basic labor is simple: if I'm paying the same wage, why don't I hire someone who doesn't have all these complications? So gov't steps in, they pay x percentage or even all the wages for these companies that need basic labor. And if they succeed at becoming good at something, have a pathway toward a permanent position. By providing opportunities, education (key component) and training, that's the only way to even have a chance to get these people out of it.

If they are really not in the condition to work at all... be it mental, physical or whatever... set up group homes that host those people and have the resources such as MDs, psychiatrists... etc to help them either become better or at least cope with their conditions.

When dealing with a problem in business, you try to get to the root of it and work from there. Just handing out money to those people and hoping that they would put it to good use has never proven to work.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2023, 03:31 PM   #5552
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
That is the most ridiculous take I've heard on this forum, but then again it's you.

Not everyone is built to be "creative". If everyone was a creative, we wouldn't have the people who do the actual "work".

Being creative or entrepreneurial is often times the luxury of the rich (a socioeconomic status you're a part of). There are many people that don't have the luxury of sitting around on their parent's dime being "creative", able to start or fund a business that isn't economically viable immediately, or even having the capital in the first place to take such a risk.

I think we're talking about different things here, I've never pushed the idea of a simple handout. The problem in this country is that we've created a stiff system of crony capitalism. As it was mentioned earlier in this thread, these "Canadian" companies carry little about Canada, or Canadians.

Why should they be protected and insolated via policy perspective by government, enshrining this system of monopoly in this country? We are socializing risk on the back of taxpayers while privatizing profits.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 03:44 PM   #5553
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
So many words, so little conveyed. I'm not surprised you like trump. It's just the word salad tactic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #5554
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
The problem in this country is that we've created a stiff system of crony capitalism. As it was mentioned earlier in this thread, these "Canadian" companies carry little about Canada, or Canadians.

What drives these companies? People buying their shit

People LOVE capitalism, but proceed to say "I hate capitalism, fuck Jeff bezos, fuck Loblaws." Then they go and buy shit off Amazon and superstore.
People are to blame, not the companies that meet their demands

Anyone that cries about capitalism, I tell em to go buy at mom and pop stores, then they say "it's too expensive"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 04:44 PM   #5555
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Well yea.. it is?

If you’re poor, are you going to go out of your to pay more for -anything-?

The system created this environment, not the individuals using it. Most people are forced to shop at Walmart, they aren’t actively choosing Walmart over the farmers market by choice.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:49 PM   #5556

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
What drives these companies? People buying their shit

People LOVE capitalism, but proceed to say "I hate capitalism, fuck Jeff bezos, fuck Loblaws." Then they go and buy shit off Amazon and superstore.
People are to blame, not the companies that meet their demands

Anyone that cries about capitalism, I tell em to go buy at mom and pop stores, then they say "it's too expensive"
I've never purchased a single item off of Amazon, so some of us that talk shit do back it up, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm lucky I don't have to make that choice. That said, there's plenty of people who just buy cheap garbage off of Amazon that could be getting something better, and then end up angry at the whole experience and never learn.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2023, 04:50 PM   #5557
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
we used to buy farm-to-table holiday Luncheon meat

spam was too luxurious.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:13 PM   #5558
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Ken Sim's ABC Vancouver (majority on the council) defeated a motion to densify Shaughnessy neighbourhood.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-neighbourhood

Hmmmm .....
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 05:53 PM   #5559
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,248 Times in 614 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
we used to buy farm-to-table holiday Luncheon meat

spam was too luxurious.
I still buy this.. and its getting expensive, even dollarama is like $2.25 now... used to be $1.25, than $1.75.. then $2.00 now this...

Still better than 99% of the store that wants smth stupid like $3.75 though...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 08:57 PM   #5560
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
That is the most ridiculous take I've heard on this forum, but then again it's you.

Not everyone is built to be "creative". If everyone was a creative, we wouldn't have the people who do the actual "work".

Being creative or entrepreneurial is often times the luxury of the rich (a socioeconomic status you're a part of). There are many people that don't have the luxury of sitting around on their parent's dime being "creative", able to start or fund a business that isn't economically viable immediately, or even having the capital in the first place to take such a risk.

I think we're talking about different things here, I've never pushed the idea of a simple handout. The problem in this country is that we've created a stiff system of crony capitalism. As it was mentioned earlier in this thread, these "Canadian" companies carry little about Canada, or Canadians.

Why should they be protected and insolated via policy perspective by government, enshrining this system of monopoly in this country? We are socializing risk on the back of taxpayers while privatizing profits.
We are not creative because we killed that with our curriculum. We are not trained to be creative. We are trained to know "how to do" things.

Kids are trained to take everything as given and are given pretty much everything.

My parents didn't really make their money until the later part of my highschool years. But something they have always taught me is to think about how to do it better whether it's for school or whatever. Figure a solution to work things out. Instead of just giving up because of whatever was in my way.

Want to go backpack in Italy with friends? Figure out how to come up with the money.

Want to go to study in North America? Here's your budget for university, no more, no less. Figure your way out on everything from visa to housing.

We are so careful about anything and everything today that we don't allow the society to learn.

I'm only human—an average one at best. So I made a lot of mistakes. And the idea of my folks was always to encourage me to take some risks and learn from mistakes.

My parents were fortunate enough to make some serious dough. But they never showered me and my brother with money. Their connections and experiences made many things easier and take a lot of control on potential mistakes and risks, but we were always left to ourselves to figure things out.

Which I believe is the best way.

Instead of telling kids what to do... let them figure it out. We'd provide as much assistance as we can as parents, but they need to do it themselves.

Instead of giving these people money, we provide them ways to make it. They would always have assistance along the way. But let them figure it out.

My parents started with very little. My dad started working after elementary school. But he never gave up on learning and force himself to write every day. He's got the best Chinese penmanship that I know of. The place we lived in when we first moved to South America was a basement kinda place. It was leaking water and had some weird slimy things on the wall, but that's what we could afford. Second place was a bit better but it was a 2br apartment with 8ppl living in there.

Enough of this hypocrisy "some people just don't have what it takes. You are in a different social circle" blah blah.

Yes, we were fortunate enough to achieve some success financially. But I believe that with some assistance, whether from parents, the gov't or whatever... everyone can achieve some level of success. I'm not saying for everyone to become a millionaire, but to make ends meet, live within your means and be a contributing part of society, I think it's definitely within reach of many if we set up the program accordingly.

Last edited by Hehe; 11-15-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #5561
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Love the creative aspect.

Saw a video - this kid was selling burritos at school and was making a life for himself but got shut down cause you can't sell food (without permit) or run a business.

Next day, he sold napkins at school and gave burritos for free.

That's creative.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #5562

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
PP calls the Rainbow bridge car explosion a Terrorist Attack, blames Trudeau.

When called out for not checking facts before calling it a terrorist attack, he then blames "the media".

"The media", in this case CTV, checks timestamps and it turns out the story, which was worded "officials considered the explosion to be linked to terrorism", was run 10 minutes AFTER pp used the term.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #5563

These dumb motherfuckers lol. I literally couldn't imagine a less likely avenue for a terrorist attack than a fucking Bentley coupe crashing into a building that would have a maximum of 2 people in it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 03:33 AM   #5564
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
He was probably watching fox news. He should have been watching the CBC.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:12 AM   #5565

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Who's spying on who now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ce-background/
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #5566
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ interesting twist!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:48 AM   #5567

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
PP calls the Rainbow bridge car explosion a Terrorist Attack, blames Trudeau.

When called out for not checking facts before calling it a terrorist attack, he then blames "the media".

"The media", in this case CTV, checks timestamps and it turns out the story, which was worded "officials considered the explosion to be linked to terrorism", was run 10 minutes AFTER pp used the term.
If only there were some way he could gain access to the sensitive gov't security reports. Some kind of confidentiality agreement he could make.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 10:18 AM   #5568

Spends campaign attacking the media
Frothing at the mouth to use misinformation in the media to blame political opponent.
Hmmmmmm where have I seen this before?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #5569

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
lol, and he just did it again...
https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...38ad15430.html

An existing trade agreement between Canada and Ukraine was set to be updated and ratified, and PP+Cons all voted against it - PP's reasoning was:

Quote:
Poilievre says the Tories “stand unequivocally with Ukrainians in their fight for freedom,” and that he is not against previous iterations of the agreement.

But he claimed Trudeau was “betraying Ukraine with this terrible agreement to force a carbon tax on Ukrainians.”

Railing against the federal price on carbon is nothing new for the Conservative leader, who counts “axe the tax” among his most-used slogans.

“Just to show you how pathologically obsessed Trudeau is with his tax, he did something that has never been done in the history of trade agreements, which is to put a carbon tax in one,” Poilievre told reporters Thursday.

“He expects (Ukrainians) to rebuild from a war with a devastating and crippling tax on their energy. The Ukrainian farmers, he expects them to pay a carbon tax while they’re trying to feed their hungry people. This is cruel and frankly, it is disgusting that Trudeau’s ideological obsession with taxing working-class people, seniors and suffering families has come ahead of what should have been a free-trade agreement.”
Except that simply isn't true, and Ukraine has had a carbon tax longer than Canada has.

Spew spew spew, very little facts coming out, mostly just catch phrases to rile up the morons in this country. No actual platform, no alternative solutions, just Trudeau is bad, Trudeau doesn't get anything done, but also Trudeau is evil and is making things worse for everyone.

It's terribly similar to what republicans do with Joe Biden - he's old and senile and useless, but he's also an authoritarian with nefarious reach in every aspect of society who is solely responsible for their shitty lives.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2023, 02:21 PM   #5570

This is the JT Canadians want to see and a reason why JT may beat pp in the next election.

https://twitter.com/tMayor_McCheese/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 11-24-2023, 03:04 PM   #5571

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
People are going to vote with their wallet I believe, we'll see what happens.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:01 PM   #5572
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
This is the type of coalition I can get behind

This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 PM   #5573
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
You would, like to be behind both of them, wouldn't you

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2023, 12:39 AM   #5574

I know pp's bio dad would love to be in that photo.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:59 AM   #5575
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
So many boomers on my facebook that hate Justin Trudeau are homosexually obsessed with him, and constantly post pictures of him in sexually explicit poses and outfits. Not surprised to see some of it here from Revscene's resident Boomer. Whatever gets you off!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: