REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:49 PM   #5651
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Well ya kinda gotta do one or the other

The govt. (all govt. not just turd) is so bloated and inefficient and have built such a reputation in the last handful of decades that of course no one wants to pay more taxes, because nothing tangible ever comes of paying more taxes.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #5652
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
When very desirable places to live have staffing problems at least one option seems pretty straightforward. Increase salaries and staffing until you stop having shortages. Then increase it a bit more until you can afford to get picky and hire the best of the best.
The biggest problem is -- healthcare professionals take a LOT of time to train up -- 4+ years for nurses, and 8+ years for doctors. So if we want to produce our own doctors / nurses / technicians, it's gonna take time -- a LOT of time and a LOT of $$$$.

But even if we follow that train-our-own med professionals route, we still lose a ton of them to the brain drain issue -- US salaries for healthcare professionals are much higher than ours, and we'd never be able to outcompete the US for top talents if money and funding is what attracted them to leave. Incidentally, the risks of getting sued for malpractice and annoyance to deal with US health insurance companies were some of the considerations that I've been told. (With salary being an obvious consideration as well.) It doesn't mean we shouldn't hike medical staff's salary -- we totally should -- but having the US next to us certainly doesn't help.

The only fast way to build up those medical staffing levels is to start recognizing foreign credentials. I feel like our 2 levels of govs are showing some slow movements in that direction, but it is really a tricky path to navigate. I've come across people who claim to have foreign nursing training, and I seem to have a better awareness of general medical cleanliness practices than they do! At the same time, there are others who are totally qualified. So Canadian certification is important, but I don't know how we can fasttrack that while ensuring safety and thoroughness.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #5653

This new federal dental plan outlines exactly how the govt. works when it comes to your care:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7055195

Make it eligible for seniors 85+ (honestly, how many people over 85 are going for regular dental appointments)

THEN.. if you keep the liberals in power in the next election, MAYBE your age bracket will get included in the coverage.

Fucking clown world we live in ffs. Nice job propping this up NDP, it only was way too little, way too late.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #5654
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Feel sorry for those families making $90,001 annual income, without access to a private plan.

Pay the same taxes as those making $89,999, but get nothing back to show for it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #5655
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This new federal dental plan outlines exactly how the govt. works when it comes to your care:

Make it eligible for seniors 85+ (honestly, how many people over 85 are going for regular dental appointments)

THEN.. if you keep the liberals in power in the next election, MAYBE your age bracket will get included in the coverage.

Fucking clown world we live in ffs. Nice job propping this up NDP, it only was way too little, way too late.
Where are you seeing that we have to re-elect the liberals to get to the next age bracket?

Seniors aged 87 and above starting in December 2023
Seniors aged 77 to 86 starting in January 2024
Seniors aged 72 to 76 starting in February 2024
Seniors aged 70 to 71 starting in March 2024

Janurary 2024 is next month man.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #5656
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts

wheres my fucking dental plan..... lisa needs braces
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #5657
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:

So what you are saying is if pp get elected he will get rid of it? he also voted against gay marriage and weed? Is he going get rid of those also.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:29 PM   #5658

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Where are you seeing that we have to re-elect the liberals to get to the next age bracket?

Seniors aged 87 and above starting in December 2023
Seniors aged 77 to 86 starting in January 2024
Seniors aged 72 to 76 starting in February 2024
Seniors aged 70 to 71 starting in March 2024

Janurary 2024 is next month man.
The second paragraph in the article, everyone outside of those brackets won’t be eligible until the earliest 2025, election time.

In that article Jagmeet even says somthing along the same lines:

Quote:
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh claimed the government is only pressing ahead with this program now because his party "forced" Ottawa to enact it as a condition of the confidence-and-supply agreement that could keep the Liberals in power until 2025.
This is like, the bare minimum this plan could have offered pre-election but jagmeet is so powerless he can’t do anything but eat shit and accept this is the only thing his coalition could piece together and it’s barely a framework of what they initially proposed.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #5659
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Election can come at any time but can be as late as Oct 2025. Plus you didn't say anything about people outside the bracket. You said only 85+ are eligible and then the "next bracket" only comes in 2025.

Just holding you accountable man.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2023, 03:46 PM   #5660

Fair enough I only read the first paragraph
Old 12-11-2023, 06:24 PM   #5661

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Honda is so confused. He is upset the plan does not go far enough but is going to vote for the guy who does not want it at all.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #5662

The point is, this is how the govt. operates. They dangle a carrot in front of you in a desperate attempt to gain votes instead of just providing the care people need. It’s going to take TWO years to help the vast majority of people who will use this program?

In literal perfect timing for an election?

Damn must be a coincidence!
Old 12-11-2023, 11:08 PM   #5663
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
The point is, this is how the govt. operates. They dangle a carrot in front of you in a desperate attempt to gain votes instead of just providing the care people need. It’s going to take TWO years to help the vast majority of people who will use this program?

I'm sure you know this, but healthcare is generally a provincial thing - with some funding by federal government.

Any form of healthcare has only been around for about 50 years now. So yeah, 2 years to fully implement something of this caliber in tiers is not unreasonable.

It doesn't take a genius to see what will happen if they just open it to everyone at once. Everyone and their uncle will flood all the dentists, and people like you will rant on forums that Trudeau ruined the Canadian Dental system because now you have to wait 5 months for a checkup while the poors get their teeth fixed for free.

But yes, keep being irrationally angry at everything.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #5664

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh claimed the government is only pressing ahead with this program now because his party "forced" Ottawa to enact it as a condition of the confidence-and-supply agreement that could keep the Liberals in power until 2025.
Quote:

How is Singh supposed to "just provide" it?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2023, 07:46 AM   #5665

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Just wave the magic wand to provide social programs, like the cons are known for.
Wait.
I understand critiquing the current government for shortfalls, but I don't understand critiquing them for something the party you'd be voting for wouldn't even consider trying.
It would be like me, as an NDP voter being upset the sitting government wouldn't implement the Lord's Prayer in school efficiently enough.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #5666

Quote:
How is Singh supposed to "just provide" it?
It’s VERY simple, pull your support for your “coalition”
Old 12-12-2023, 09:54 AM   #5667

^i totally thought you were gonna say something midly racist like he will just pull it out of his turban
Old 12-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #5668

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Just wave the magic wand to provide social programs, like the cons are known for.
Wait.
I understand critiquing the current government for shortfalls, but I don't understand critiquing them for something the party you'd be voting for wouldn't even consider trying.
It would be like me, as an NDP voter being upset the sitting government wouldn't implement the Lord's Prayer in school efficiently enough.
I’ve never paid for dental care throughout my entire life, I’ve always either been covered by my parents or through employment. And imo, the VAST majority of people are likely covered anyways, whether it’s through welfare programs or part-time employment.

Again, the beef is with this veiled attempt to look like you’re actually providing any sort of service of care when in reality, you’re just dangling a carrot to, likely, some of the people in society who have no other option but this program, BUT the caveat is you need to vote liberal in order to receive it.

I don’t care, let the cons pull it, I don’t want to pay for this shit. But this isn’t some sort of grand gesture from the liberals lol it’s literally the most basic form of this they could have possibly provided to please Jagmeat enough to hold their coalition together.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:11 AM   #5669

The whole point is that dental care was a platform of the NDP campaign. Jagmeet forcing it is actually a great example of coalition government working exactly as it should.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2023, 10:19 AM   #5670

which fucking 87 year old is still doing dental work!? which fucking 87 year old even has teeth remaining!?

FALSE FLAG ! FALSE FLAG!!! BoOO!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #5671

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
If you get it through work you're still paying for it, you're just paying for someone at your company to manage the account and for a bunch of useless people at the insurance company too.

I'm sure someone has an actual statistic on how many people are covered and how much but for about a decade my wife and I had no coverage because we worked for small companies. Eventually my job got benefits that covered about 50% but the whole package cost about $3300/employee/yr. The benefits were "saving" me about $500/yr but the coverage was paid for out of the profit sharing so my take home was less than it was with no benefits.

At my current gig the coverage costs about $5k/yr which basically maxes out everything up here but doesn't get my American colleagues much. Personally I'd rather just get paid an extra $5k/yr and have my taxes go up a smidge so that teeth aren't considered special mouth bones that you have to pay to be able to keep.

Quote:
It’s VERY simple, pull your support for your “coalition”
It sounds like that's what he did to be able to get what they currently have. Are you thinking he has the leverage to get more?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:30 AM   #5672
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
So yah, if you are working and are middle to upper class, you are most likely covered. One concern is after you retire, you will have to pay a monthly premium for continued coverage and benefits.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #5673
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
You guys aren't too versed on the Canadian Dental Plan, I'll give you some inside details.

The advent of the plan was HEAVILY lobbied by insurers in Canada to ensure strict mitigation of access.

This is why there is strict low family income thresholds as a means test, along with restricting your ability to be covered under the plan if your employer offers any type of employer provided insurance (even if that insurance carries expensive cost sharing). Meaning that if your employer offers dental coverage, even if that coverage carries expensive cost sharing premiums, you cannot waive that coverage and simply be covered under the Canadian Dental Plan.

The Canadian Dental Plan was never designed to be offered to all Canadians, or even a large population of them. The Federal government wasn't looking to replace the private insurance system, nor abdicate the burden of cost off of employers.

Insurers made sure of that.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #5674

Big industry having the final say on government policy in Canada? I don't believe it! Not possible!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-12-2023, 11:03 AM   #5675

Quote:
If you get it through work you're still paying for it, you're just paying for someone at your company to manage the account and for a bunch of useless people at the insurance company too.

I'm sure someone has an actual statistic on how many people are covered and how much but for about a decade my wife and I had no coverage because we worked for small companies. Eventually my job got benefits that covered about 50% but the whole package cost about $3300/employee/yr. The benefits were "saving" me about $500/yr but the coverage was paid for out of the profit sharing so my take home was less than it was with no benefits.

At my current gig the coverage costs about $5k/yr which basically maxes out everything up here but doesn't get my American colleagues much. Personally I'd rather just get paid an extra $5k/yr and have my taxes go up a smidge so that teeth aren't considered special mouth bones that you have to pay to be able to keep.

It sounds like that's what he did to be able to get what they currently have. Are you thinking he has the leverage to get more?
Your examples are really just examples of any insurance though.

Of course you’d rather just get paid more upfront, but when you need an unexpected crown etc. you could eat up the majority of your coverage in one claim.

Most people who have good benefits don’t even use them, so you’re completely right in wanting the money up front. The irony is though that so many of these people who never use any of their benefits, even basic dental cleanings etc. always seem to be the ones who tout how great their jobs are BECAUSE they have these great benefits lol

To add to Mike’s point, it looks like anyone who has a govt. pension in retirement also has access to dental coverage through that regardless of their income from said pension. So yea.. propping up private insurance companies while not really helping anyone.. surprise surprise