REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #5876
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
This is not true -- at least not from the medical professionals that I've talked to.

The US medical field is troublesome because:

1) people are far more likely to sue
2) healthcare plans are a massive clusterfuck, so if you have to deal with billing and what sort of thing is covered and what isn't, it becomes a massive PITA

Malpractice insurance is $$$$ because of #1, and it is still stressful if you're put into a situation where you're being sued. Of course for some, the higher pay would still justify working down in the States. But it is not as enticing as you are trying to make it sound.
No disrespect to you Traum but this is a mega cope take for Canada. I guarantee you none of those professional that you talked to would entertain the idea of transferring their careers over to Canada with a paycut in exchange for no potential malpractice lawsuit. Maybe they are just being polite and humble with their 'grass is not always greener' perspective? If we are exchanging anecdotal perspectives, I also am friends with a dentist and an oral surgeon whos making hell of a lot more in the states compared to working here that that the threat of lawsuit is a non-factor for them.

Economically, there is not a single 'white-collar' career path where you're better off working in Canada vs in the States. Even within my own company, thanks to state laws in CA and NY, I can see through internal job postings that my lateral counterparts in NY and CA are making 30% more than what I am even after assuming 1 cad = 1 usd. I don't blame HR for paying what is considered a competitive pay within that labour market. We as a country have been becoming progressively less productive and less competitive economically for a very long time. The govt doesn't deserve all the blame but they certainly aren't innocent either letting housing become our Dutch disease, diluting productivity with mass immigration (international 'students', TFWs etc), stifling private sector growth with unfavorable tax rates, catering to oligopolies etc. We used to think of ourselves as a little brother to the US but realistically speaking, we are more of an autistic younger cousin that happens to live down the street, and our currency reflects that plainly.
Advertisement
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 02:29 PM   #5877
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
I have a friend that's a dentist in Terrace.

We talked about when he might come back to Vancouver, and he pretty much implied that he's probably staying in Terrace for the long term.

Pay is significantly better due to the higher amounts of fully insured residents, rent is a little cheaper (apparently it spiked just as he got there a few years ago due to the pipeline) and it's a short 1.5 hour flight back to Vancouver.

He mentioned that he seriously thought about moving to the States at one point because the pay is significantly better across the board, but he wanted to stay close to friends and family.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #5878
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
The only person I know who transferred back to Canada from the US was because their spouse was shot up gang-land style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 04:30 PM   #5879
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Outside of Manics dream of 8 guys sharing hot beds in a basement suite, we can do some basic math to see how unrealistic his claims are.

Say $1800 a month anywhere in the lower mainland for a 1br rental

$800 a month in food and consumables.

You’re sitting at $31,000 per year with NOTHING else.

Some uneducated, or even educated foreigner moving here would likely be incredibly happy making 65k a year. What’s the take home on a 65k salary? 45?

Now try and save up to purchase the same place you’re renting. Or save for ANYTHING, what’s it going to take to save 150k? 20 years?

But hey.. there’s always the slim chance you could wind up on Indian idol and singing at Coachella!
Your numbers are way off. Students from India are not living by themselves unless their parents are super rich. Even then parents would want them living with other Indians so they can learn the ropes.

Your food budget is also way off. Indian food is cheap to make and mostly veg. With a bunch of them living together they can also buy in bulk. If you can't cook you can get a tiffin service to deliver food to you place 6 days a week from $160 to $250 a month. Each delivery is good for a lunch and dinner.

One of our employees tells me his total living cost is $1000 a month. That includes rent, food, cell bill and bus pass. His roommate who is an aspiring singer/songwriter is moving to Nova Scotia because it's easier to get points there for his PR.

The Punjabi music industry in Canada is really big. There is a saying that students from India want 3 things. An education a pr (permanent residency) and a song release.

The average cost of a song with a video is around 20K. Give or take 5K. Song writers have a a list of of songs that they have already recorded with music. You pick one you like and rerecord the vocals in a studio. Facebook Marketplace shows 8 recording studios in the lower mainland targeting Punjabi's. You send your recorded vocals to your music director/producer. He will autotune your voice and put the music together. A music video will cost between 5k and 15K for a 1 day shoot. Most new singers will want the higher end option because they want the red cinema camera's, a model, and a nice car/house. A lot of times the cost also includes a million or so fake views. I don't know how many songs are released a week but 10/12 a week in Canada would not be a crazy guess.

Warner Music Canada in partnership with Warner music India have just started a new label called 91 North. 91 is the country code for India. 3 of the artists on the billboard cover are a part of it.

Just after Christmas me and a bunch of guys I have know since high school including your wife's cousin went to a club in Nanaimo. It was surprisingly an Indian night. Something we would have never thought would happen in Nanaimo. But thanks to JT we have an Indian population in Nanaimo that can support it.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #5880
RS Veteran

So if we need to visit India, we just go to Nanaimo?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 05:16 PM   #5881
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,272 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Why get on a boat when Scott Road is right here
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 05:37 PM   #5882
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
20k!??!!? fuck ill go make a punjabi music video!

THIS IS RACIST and excellent at the same time
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 05:47 PM   #5883
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
TLDR hehe
Old 01-22-2024, 06:07 PM   #5884
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Why get on a boat when Scott Road is right here
At least it will feel like I'm going on a trip
Quote:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:13 PM   #5885
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
How did you find that video? The song is the singer telling another his girl is fake and will not stick around because she is made in China she has no guarantee or warranty. So basically like something you would by from aliexpress or temu.

If you want to do a video i can maybe set you up.

This is the difference between a high end and and a more budget video.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:39 PM   #5886

But but but aliexpress has great warranty. I bought a watch, it broke, they gave me back like 90% of my money. Fuck you seagull 1956 pilots watch.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:48 PM   #5887
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts

Only the original Made in China allowed

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2024, 07:28 PM   #5888

Man I rather watch this kinda stuff from games
Old 01-23-2024, 10:27 AM   #5889
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
The autism is getting thick in this thread.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:30 AM   #5890
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Gosh what a shxt show... so this federal judge is ruling that Turd was not justified in using the Emergencies Act to kick out the Freedom Convoy idiots.

The said idiots and PeePee are gonna have a field day with this, and the Turd/Lib haters are gonna jump in to join the bashing even though they probably don't remember what the situation was like in Ottawa at the time.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:40 AM   #5891
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
lol... anyone who thought otherwise should have tried living in the area... I had a few friends who were in condos there and they literally said they wanted to die every day from the constant noise. Nobody should have to live in those conditions.

Gov was right to use whatever means necessary to get rid of those morons. They weren't even there for a discernable reason? Supposedly difficult border crossing? Blame the USA man that was all them! It was easy to come to Canada! It was nothing but a right wing I hate the government rally disguised as a "rights and freedoms" march and that's it.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #5892
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
How did you find that video? The song is the singer telling another his girl is fake and will not stick around because she is made in China she has no guarantee or warranty. So basically like something you would by from aliexpress or temu.

If you want to do a video i can maybe set you up.

This is the difference between a high end and and a more budget video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCtynwVpo44
I just made the mistake of finally watching this, literally highlighting the worst elements of the cultural generalizations. You're proud of this man? Dude is so hardcore he rounds up all his buddies to execute people for stealing a scarf?

Ffs........
Old 01-23-2024, 11:19 AM   #5893
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So when a judge rules it wasn’t right.. just because JT thought it was right.. it’s right..

I see.

So for the future when a handful of people are inconvenienced by somthing and the govt. oversteps its boundaries, we can justify that by personal opinion as opposed to rule of law.

These liberal justifications are so bizarre. If this was flipped and it was the cons people would be losing their minds.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:24 AM   #5894
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
At least it will feel like I'm going on a trip
with how bad traffic is over there it really does feel like im going on a trip every time i need to drive down there. i'd rather drive across the bridge to coquitlam than go to scott road unless i absolutely have to
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:26 AM   #5895
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,366 Times in 461 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
No disrespect to you Traum but this is a mega cope take for Canada.

Economically, there is not a single 'white-collar' career path where you're better off working in Canada vs in the States.
Bit of a balanced take here since my company likes to move employees to Vancouver for 2 years so that they can get the L-1 visa.

The case for Canada.
ALPHA: Vancouver offers amazing quality of life for 50-60k earners; it’s beautiful and safe. Where else can you ski on public transit and a $300 season pass?

BETA: But Canada in general lacks diverse industries and career paths; Toronto has more options but QOL ain't great. Also, Canada is too peaceful and kind of uniform for a young dude like me who wants to explore different cultures.

The case for the States.
ALPHA: Even smaller cities like Denver have a ton of opportunity - they've got energy, mining, aerospace to go with their hella outdoors. Atlanta is home to F500 and world's busiest airport. Learning to talk to and compete with Miami / LA / NYC mans ngl scary but has also given me more confidence in who I am. Access to culture and arts can be quite a bit better in larger cities.

BETA: QOL and dating much more segregated by money & ton more to manage for survival - from building credit, navigating cops/legal/insurance/healthcare billing, food standards, US Safeway has worse food than YVR Walmart, and health can be sooooo bad if you're in the suburbs.

Personally, you could slash my income in half and I would still try to make it work in NYC for all of the reasons above.
IMO the quality of healthcare I got here was way better as well.
Kids definitely change the equation tho - once you start having to pay for private school / pay a ton to move to a suburb with good school district; that ain't really for me rn.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 12:33 PM   #5896
Performance Moderator

Quote:
These liberal justifications are so bizarre. If this was flipped and it was the cons people would be losing their minds.
The right wingers are losing their minds tho, what's the diff?

You just don't see it on this particular forum
Old 01-23-2024, 12:34 PM   #5897
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,325 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
So when a judge rules it wasn’t right.. just because JT thought it was right.. it’s right..

I see.

So for the future when a handful of people are inconvenienced by somthing and the govt. oversteps its boundaries, we can justify that by personal opinion as opposed to rule of law.

the freezing of the peoples bank accounts is the scary part, who wants to have to worry about getting their bank accounts frozen because you are not doing what the government wants you to do... It's a slippery slope and a control no government should ever have.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 12:46 PM   #5898
Performance Moderator

^ Even I didn't agree with that... I knew some people who contributed $ to the rally because they're a bit smooth brained with some of this stuff, but they're good people/citizens and it was scary for them to have their accounts frozen even if it was just temporary.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:11 PM   #5899
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Note that I am not saying the judge is totally wrong in his decision -- the power bestowed by the Emergencies Act is really quite something. When the inquiries happened, a lot of witness testimonies described (in hindsight) that the various authorities' handling of the situation was chaotic and fragmented. Some strongly believed that there were measures that could have been taken without invoking the Emergencies Act, and I wouldn't challenge that suggestion either. But the facts on the ground were -- various authorities -- including but not limited to the Ottawa Police, the OPP, the Ottawa mayor at the time, Doug Ford, etc. -- were all doing the best they can to dodge the responsibility of calling the shots. Somebody had to adult up and put an end to the massive disruption, and Turd actually stepped in for a change to do "the right thing".

I look at it as kind of like CERB. Was the execution perfect? Of course not. But something needed to be done, and it needed to be done quickly, so Turd brought out the sledgehammer to get the job done. It is fine to critique the inadequacies of what had taken place, and hopefully do a better job next time should there ever be a next time. But to slam Turd like it was the biggest blasphemy since Adam took a bit from the apple? That would be ridiculous, but it is exactly what PeePee and the right wing idiots would spin it as. (And some people in the middle will believe those poorly constructed arguments too...)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2024, 01:28 PM   #5900
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
That was no emergency