REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #5926
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So many of those initiatives seem like they are driven by media reporting on inaction resulting in a snap reaction to sway public opinion as opposed to anything done proactively.

The international student thing was 1000000% driven by reporting, they would have been happy to keep the cash cow flowing if outlets hadn’t started reporting on strip malls filled with “colleges”
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #5927
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That’s his own resort.. he owns his own plane, he is independently wealthy on top of being a former president.

I also love this “Trump is worse so turd isn’t so bad!!” lol ffs..
Ya but Trump was charging exorbitant fees to house all his staff at his various resorts, that is the very definition of corruption.

Let's be honest as well, people have made an issue of every vacation Trudeau has taken, even when he went to buttfuck Tofino.

Conservatives did the same shit to Obama, don't think I forget that. "Oh he's in Hawaii again! Why can't he vacation in Camp David?!".

Meanwhile Trump vacations at his various resorts, bumps up the price for rooms, food, etc., for his staff to ridiculous amounts (literally breaking the emoluments clause) charges the government these costs, and not a single peep. The guy was having world leaders and officials pay for play to stay at his resorts to get "exclusive" access to him. How is that not bribery at its very fundamentals?

I hate whataboutism, but you need to project your ire to the same stuff if your guy is doing it far worse.

This is a dumb mountain to die on IMHO.

Last edited by mikemhg; 01-24-2024 at 01:32 PM.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:30 AM   #5928
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
I guess being a national leader means no vacations. If anyone who leads by example, it'd be Angela Merkel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:56 AM   #5929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Ya but Trump was charging absorbent fees to house all his staff at his various resorts, that is the very definition of corruption.

Let's be honest as well, people have made an issue of every vacation Trudeau has taken, even when he went to buttfuck Tofino.

Conservatives did the same shit to Obama, don't think I forget that. "Oh he's in Hawaii again! Why can't he vacation in Camp David?!".

Meanwhile Trump vacations at his various resorts, bumps up the price for rooms, food, etc. for his staff to ridiculous amounts (literally breaking the emoluments clause) charges the government these costs, and not a single peep. The guy was having world leaders and officials pay for play to stay at his resorts to get "exclusive" access to him. How is that not bribery at its very fundamentals?

I hate whataboutism, but you need to project your ire to the same stuff if your guy is doing it far worse.

This is a dumb mountain to die on IMHO.
Why should I be concerned about what Trump does?
Old 01-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #5930
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Ya but Trump was charging absorbent fees to house all his staff at his various resorts, that is the very definition of corruption.
I'm assuming this was this was due to his penchant for golden showers?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2024, 01:31 PM   #5931

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Holy fuck, what a brainfart.

Exorbitant.

I'm not saying you should be concerned about what Trump does, just providing a comparison to something much worse which I don't really hear conservatives speaking about, or even bothered by. Meanwhile a little trip by the drama teacher, and it's pearl cutching time.

It's not consistent.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2024, 01:55 PM   #5932
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
So many of those initiatives seem like they are driven by media reporting on inaction resulting in a snap reaction to sway public opinion as opposed to anything done proactively.

The international student thing was 1000000% driven by reporting, they would have been happy to keep the cash cow flowing if outlets hadn’t started reporting on strip malls filled with “colleges”
The international students issue is more than just "strip malls filled with Colleges" though. Even before news of that broke out, there have been an ongoing stream of reports describing how much international students have been getting ripped off, how they are paying sky high tuitions fees compared to domestic students (usually 3 - 5x higher), how they are enrolled in garbage courses irrelevant to the work they seek, how they cannot afford to meet basic needs bcos of work restrictions, etc. All of that reporting has been going on for quite some time, at least since early-ish 2023, if not longer.

Housing difficulties for students is also not new. I remember watching quite a bit of that in Aug and early September.

The strip mall college stuff seems like they are more recently reported, but certainly that is also not a new issue.

The crackdown on too many international student visas is long overdue, but it is not exactly a "new" problem brought up by the media spotlight.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM   #5933

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Y not too many Ukrainians, Palestinians, Mexicans, that Quebec border where they just walk over? Cut back on Ukraine spending that should be enough to build some houses
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-24-2024, 02:45 PM   #5934
linguistic ninja

I remember not too long ago when "International Student" meant some young piece of ass from Korea or Japan that local White and Chinese guys would try and bang. Now it's an Indian guy delivering your Uber Eats with an attitude that's getting fucked by the gig economy.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2024, 03:06 PM   #5935

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
You mean crashing into bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I remember not too long ago when "International Student" meant some young piece of ass from Korea or Japan that local White and Chinese guys would try and bang. Now it's an Indian guy delivering your Uber Eats with an attitude that's getting fucked by the gig economy.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:45 PM   #5936
linguistic ninja

well yeah that too but crashing trucks doesn't really fit that well into my innuendo laded analogy. Unless you mean tunnels too!

Old 01-31-2024, 11:32 AM   #5937

A glimpse into BC’s future:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wi...egon-106814859
Old 01-31-2024, 01:07 PM   #5938
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's already happened in B.C. over the last 3 years. If anything the fentanyl crisis is somewhat new to the US in comparison.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 01:57 PM   #5939

Portland was 3-4 years ahead of BC in their hard drug decriminalization, and now they are in a state of emergency.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:36 PM   #5940
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
But Portugal has decriminalized drug users since 2001, which is way way way before any of these states or us did and you love it there

Seriously though, I don't think Portland is a good comparison, they have no med system in the USA to treat patients... it's never going to be that bad here... our support systems might suck, but they don't suck anywhere near as hard as they do in the USA.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 02:44 PM   #5941
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Portland is downright scary now. I dont dare go anymore. Me and the wifey used to love going down there on weekends to buy shit tax free (when the dollar was on par). Woodburn outlet 4 the win for fat guy clothing
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:59 PM   #5942

Portugals system isn’t comparable here either. , watch the countless documentaries or news pieces in the last few years about the differences.

I cannot stress enough that there was -no where- in Portugal that’s as bad as countless places in the lower mainland. Spending over a month in Portugal’s biggest cities the amount of tents and people laying across the sidewalk I could count on one hand. Their system is obviously effective in helping people with treatement and recovery.

I honestly think here we’re so far past the point of having a cultural shift/governmental shift to recovery and treatment that it’s FAR more likely we end up like Portland than Portugal. How can you not be embarrassed driving around seeing the shit we see

And it’s not just the DTES now, drive through maple ridge, drive down the freeway at Sumas, drive through west Kelowna. There are tent cities -everywhere-
Old 01-31-2024, 03:25 PM   #5943
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
BC is pretty fu*ked ... heard in the news that BC Chief coroner wanted a safe supply of drugs, free, without prescription, and even available to youths!

Thank goodness Eby isn't high like she is.

Eby underscores 'fundamental' disagreement with B.C. chief coroner on safe supply
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...aths-1.7095428

B.C. Premier David Eby has rebuffed the province's retiring chief coroner's swansong pleas for non-prescription safe supply of drugs, calling it a "fundamental issue'' of disagreement on how to curb the toxic drug crisis.

"I do not believe that the distribution of incredibly toxic opioid drugs without the supervision of a medical professional in British Columbia is the way forward and the way out of the toxic drug crisis,'' Eby told a news conference.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 03:36 PM   #5944

The news was saying today toxic drugs are the #1 killer of people aged 9-50. Worse than everything else including cancer, heart disease, etc.

Fucked up.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:50 PM   #5945
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Portland was 3-4 years ahead of BC in their hard drug decriminalization, and now they are in a state of emergency.
BC declared a state of emergency like 3 years ago for the toxic drug crisis did they not?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:55 PM   #5946

Thought it was just a “public health crisis” whereas, from my understanding the Portland scenario is like, get federal funding, call in the national gaurd, man power etc. to start triaging people because it’s so bad.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:15 PM   #5947
linguistic ninja

Quote:
The news was saying today toxic drugs are the #1 killer of people aged 9-50. Worse than everything else including cancer, heart disease, etc.

Fucked up.
Well that's not a surprise, if the #1 killer of people under 50 is Heart Disease, we got some serious underlying issues. In some other countries, its accidents,suicide or murder.

BTW, when are you moving to Portugal again? I seem to recall you were doing that a couple (few?) years ago now?

Old 01-31-2024, 04:17 PM   #5948
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
BC declared a state of emergency like 3 years ago for the toxic drug crisis did they not?

Yes I believe we have footage of that:

This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 04:28 PM   #5949

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Well that's not a surprise, if the #1 killer of people under 50 is Heart Disease, we got some serious underlying issues. In some other countries, its accidents,suicide or murder.

BTW, when are you moving to Portugal again? I seem to recall you were doing that a couple (few?) years ago now?
The EU is my oyster bro

My new employment situation complicates things a bit
Old 01-31-2024, 05:55 PM   #5950
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Hmmmm ....

Authorities investigating massive security breach at Global Affairs Canada
Internal emails describe a month-long security breach affecting 'many' government employees

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/glo...each-1.7099290
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote