REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:54 AM   #6201
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Hondaracer: "Same, same"
Considering it’s Syria should be released in the next few months then comparatively
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2024, 10:11 PM   #6202
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
LOL!!!

Old 03-21-2024, 05:46 AM   #6203

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/sec...broke-they-are

Quote:
A secret RCMP report is warning the federal government that Canada may descend into civil unrest once citizens realize the hopelessness of their economic situation.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:57 AM   #6204
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
National post is a pretty terrible trash rag, but they aren't wrong.
The affordability problem is decades of bad housing policy that can't be reversed, but the rest is Russian troll farms winning the new Cold War.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 06:27 AM   #6205
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Maybe that’s why these kids all reek of sadness and desperation. At the community center gym, they all look like they are one Fortnite away from offing themselves.

I guess I’m the happiest old man at the gym and I ride a bicycle
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:49 AM   #6206
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I heard Panama is a good year-round tropical, and affordable place to live. And Portugal as well.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:48 AM   #6207
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
everyones heard of portugal now so its not really that affordable anymore from what i hear.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:26 AM   #6208
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,325 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
My dad moved to Thailand and is never coming back because it's so much cheaper then here. He couldn't be happier and is laughing at how much we pay for basic stuff.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 11:06 AM   #6209

He can also get his knobbed polished for like 10 dollars Canadian.

Yeah I wouldn’t come back either.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:12 AM   #6210
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
He can also get his knobbed polished for like 10 dollars Canadian.

Yeah I wouldn’t come back either.
He has a Thai gf who is a chef that takes care of him, I'm sure he gets it polished more then I do these days
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 12:10 PM   #6211

Well yeah. Cuz you gotta scratch out a living in buttfuck Vancouver while he gets to do all the buttfucking in thighland
Old 03-21-2024, 12:20 PM   #6212
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
My dad moved to Thailand and is never coming back because it's so much cheaper then here. He couldn't be happier and is laughing at how much we pay for basic stuff.
My uncle (grandpa) did the same. Moved to Pattaya 15+ years ago, his meager military pension and CPP has allowed him to live nice and comfortably out there.

He was struggling to make ends meet when he first retired here in Vancouver, so about 4 years in he said fuck it, and has never came back to Canada since.

We actually spent a few days with him visiting last month on our trip to Thailand. He's in his mid 80s now so I'd say he has a few years left, he'll die happily out there, and never plans to return to Canada.

He loves it. His life in Thailand has really opened my eyes to how I'll end up retiring, it certainly won't be in this bloody country.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 12:47 PM   #6213

If you’ve got money as well, the possibilities are limitless there.

We have a family friend who’s incredibly loaded who married a Thai woman and lives have the year in SE Asia, the lifestyle you can live with the wealth of an “average” Canadian is astounding. Trips all over, 5 star hotels, penthouse airbnbs, paying for private healthcare etc.

Whereas here, you make 200k household income and wait 6 months to see a doctor about an ear infection.

There used to be an argument about “quality of life” here trumped everything but that argument is slipping every day.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:56 PM   #6214
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My uncle (grandpa) did the same. Moved to Pattaya 15+ years ago, his meager military pension and CPP has allowed him to live nice and comfortably out there.

He was struggling to make ends meet when he first retired here in Vancouver, so about 4 years in he said fuck it, and has never came back to Canada since.

We actually spent a few days with him visiting last month on our trip to Thailand. He's in his mid 80s now so I'd say he has a few years left, he'll die happily out there, and never plans to return to Canada.

He loves it. His life in Thailand has really opened my eyes to how I'll end up retiring, it certainly won't be in this bloody country.
That's exactly where my dad lives as well, it really is incredible now easy you can live there on next to nothing. Rent is cheap and with his GF being a chef and Thai even the food is really cheap for them. It really goes to show you if you don't have a massive cushion Canada isn't the greatest place people think it is.

We should get your Uncle and my dad up to go on a random coffee friend date
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 02:57 PM   #6215
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Complain about immigrants ruining everything.

Move to a poorer country with advantageous ruined country money, become immigrant in new country.

Marry local person to get status to buy land through loopholes, spend lots of money to inflate prices slowly.

Post online in forums or talk to people from your home country about immigration fucking things up, laugh at people for being stupid in country you left after country was ruined by people doing exactly what you are now doing to your new country.

Profit$$$ / Priceless?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 PM   #6216

Crazy what Canadas turned into that now we’re driven to go ruin other countries like Canada so openly allowed for decades.

At this point, don’t really care about the perception. Also while you’re driving up prices potentially in places like Thailand, bringing and spending money to places like this actually have positive economic impact compared to dragging a suitcase full of money to Canada and leaching off the system for generations. For people like Mikes uncle and Murdocs dad, if the options are living a miserable existence in retirement in Canada or actually enjoying life abroad, doesn’t seem like too tough of a choice. Govt actions have created this.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-21-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:15 PM   #6217
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

Move to a poorer country with advantageous ruined country money, become immigrant in new country.

Marry local person to get status to buy land through loopholes, spend lots of money to inflate prices slowly.

Post online in forums or talk to people from your home country about immigration fucking things up, laugh at people for being stupid in country you left after country was ruined by people doing exactly what you are now doing to your new country.

Profit$$$ / Priceless?
The difference is you go to countries outside of Canada you have to follow their rules (which I agree with) people come to Canada and want to follow their own rules and don't care about our culture and the way we live.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:27 PM   #6218

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

Profit$$$ / Priceless?
But we are the whites so it's cute when we do it.
*cue racist rant against rich mainlanders
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:28 PM   #6219
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Crazy what Canadas turned into that now we’re driven to go ruin other countries like Canada so openly allowed for decades.

At this point, don’t really care about the perception. Also while you’re driving up prices potentially in places like Thailand, bringing and spending money to places like this actually have positive economic impact compared to dragging a suitcase full of money to Canada and leaching off the system for generations. For people like Mikes uncle and Murdocs dad, if the options are living a miserable existence in retirement in Canada or actually enjoying life abroad, doesn’t seem like too tough of a choice. Govt actions have created this.
Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same thing if I was in their shoes... and I don't know that either of them actively disparage Canada... but it's not Canada's fault that they didn't make any $ in their age group and couldn't retire here. Everyone my parents age is fucking loaded because they had the best real estate deals known to man buying places for 1/25th or less than what they're now worth today.

The current generation of young people are the ones that all justifiably could and should be doing the above. If they're boomers and they had to leave, the smartest thing they did was realize that, while they pissed away a veritable lottery of opportunity, not to dwell on it and make lemonade with those lemons.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:29 PM   #6220

Well yea.. work your entire life in Canada, contribute to CPP, your country and community, to retire in a shared room in a building full of crackheads

Thats what the Canadian dream has turned into. Either That or the basement suite with 30 guys
Old 03-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #6221
Performance Moderator

Quote:
The difference is you go to countries outside of Canada you have to follow their rules (which I agree with) people come to Canada and want to follow their own rules and don't care about our culture and the way we live.
Rules are being followed, people from more cutthroat societies just have different priorities than we do... we're slow and lazy enjoy life what you so worried about people here. We think about our neighbours/people other than ourselves.

That makes us ideal visitors to other countries, but poor stewards of our own.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:39 PM   #6222
Performance Moderator

Quote:
I don't think taking advantage of 1950's mentalities of women being service oriented towards their men and taking care of them like live-in nurses as long as the man is paying for everything is caring about the culture and way of life lol
Old 03-21-2024, 03:42 PM   #6223

Retirement for most boomers comes down to the same timing as millennials etc. if you were smart enough to hold onto a house and pay it off, you’ll probably be ok. That’s not to say you’ll live a super comfortable retirement and travel etc. but you’ll be “ok”

I know some of my friends parents sold their homes prior to or before 2010 in anticipation of pricing falling, and now they are -fucked- ecen with pensions etc. you’re retirement is not one of travel and fufillmemt, it’s watching TV and monitoring grocery prices
Old 03-21-2024, 03:48 PM   #6224
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Also while you’re driving up prices potentially in places like Thailand, bringing and spending money to places like this actually have positive economic impact compared to dragging a suitcase full of money to Canada and leaching off the system for generations.
What's the difference though?

You're saying a Canadian takes a suitcase of money to Thailand and it's good for them because they're spending money.

But someone comes to Canada with a suitcase of money and it's bad? Why? They're also spending money and having a positive economic impact and paying taxes.

The only difference is we have a social welfare system here, so there's potential to scam that? The converse is true in Thailand, foreigners go there with boatloads of money and develop huge hotels that nobody wanted, they ravage coastal cities turning them into party towns for them to drink themselves stupid and watch girls shoot ping pong balls across the room and engage in generally boorish behaviours and even if they take up residence there and pay for private medicare, create as social divide with all the rich foreigners having access to a medical system that nobody local can afford.

You think the people in Thailand love all these foreigners and their money? Have you asked one?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:50 PM   #6225

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:

I know some of my friends parents sold their homes prior to or before 2010 in anticipation of pricing falling, and now they are -fucked- ecen with pensions etc. you’re retirement is not one of travel and fufillmemt, it’s watching TV and monitoring grocery prices
Sounds like they gambled and lost? Sounds like they only have themselves to blame for that one?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: