REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:15 PM   #6376
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Honda just join this shitshow and claim your 5% native. Then you can grab a status card and milk turds government

If you can’t beat them, milk it for every red fucking cent and then leave them a beautiful corpse
lol yeah if there's anyone that's having a great time in Canada it's indigenous people! Sunshine and rainbows and clean drinking water everywhere.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM   #6377
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Totally !!! This country did them a huge favour with those residential schools, treaties that were totally honoured and giving them the same rights as everyone else right ? Right ?!

I should just grow my remaining hair out, get a tan and identify as chief badhobz of the mukmuk clan.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:09 PM   #6378
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
MUKMUK IS GOAT!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:12 PM   #6379

I wish I bought that huge muk muk when I had the chance. But recently the wife did find that we have the medium size set of the four 2010 stuffies in its original box. I guess she must have squirreled them away to prevent doggies from attacking them
Old 04-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #6380
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Canada killing it so hard were making it onto American political shows

https://youtu.be/XflM-LKXOW4?si=NfykQFRcrXrUhVpy
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2024, 03:53 PM   #6381
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I didn't even get like 1 minute into that video and I'm questioning where he got his info from... 14 of the top cities for air pollution are in Canada? What??? Maybe for a brief time in forest fire season? There's not enough concentration of people or industry or cars for that to even remotely be possible.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2024, 04:48 PM   #6382

Yeah he just picked the places that were on fire and conveniently left out that part.
It's so annoying how celebrities and influencers and shit just try and trick people into thinking they are smart when they listen to them when they are just manipulating things to push an agenda.
But yeah forest fires and climate change have been created by liberal policy in Canada over the past few years.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2024, 10:52 AM   #6383

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Big fan of Bill Maher, but he's gone down the same road Joe Rogan has over the last few years.

Maher used to be a voice of reason. Lately he's been spewing a lot of red-pill "both sides", "woke kids in schools", type of agenda.

He's also been vehemently pro-Israel on this whole Palestine debacle to his own fault at this point.

He's gone full boomer, which is unfortunate, he's changed a lot.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:27 AM   #6384

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Has he really changed that much though, I've watched him over the last 10 years or so and he was never super left or super right. If anything it shows how a traditional left person that hasn't changed from the 90s just looks like a "boomer" when you look at what a far left leaning person looks like now.

I don't agree with everything he says, like being on Israel's dick so much but as far as calling out how fucking crazy the far left and far right are these days I think I agree with him more than not, he's definitely not Joe Rogan level crazy.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:32 AM   #6385

He's too much of a contrarian. It's just society dumb me smart rhetoric.
There are a lot of things in the world today where the majority is correct. Going against the grain doesn't automatically make someone the smart one like Maher tries to convey.
Like you said, the far left and far right are both retarded.
Because all this tribalism makes people think "everything my side believes is right and everything we don't believe is either grooming or nazism" depending what side you are on.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-14-2024, 10:33 PM   #6386
Performance Moderator

Maher has definitely changed a lot in my paying attention of him over the years... and not for the better.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:36 AM   #6387

His jokes arent even funny. Everyone's so called "laughter" seems so forced in that clip.. like they look around and are like uhhhhh ha ha? ha?
Old 04-15-2024, 12:36 PM   #6388
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
132 million to South Sudan

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affa...an-crisis.html

Another example of just throwing good money after bad into failed states.

I’m sure it will go into the right hands though.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:23 PM   #6389

Damn that $3 I pitched in would be a game changer for us right now.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2024, 05:45 AM   #6390

lol so BC isn’t part of the stupid carbon tax credit the rest of Canada is getting..

My buddy in Toronto with a household income over 400k is getting $280 4 times a year
Old 04-16-2024, 05:49 AM   #6391

man fuck that shit, i never get diddly squat.

GST rebate? nope
Covid rebate? nope
fucking tax return? nope

FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT ! why am i paying a school tax!?! huh!? i dont even go to school and these children are retards
Old 04-16-2024, 07:46 AM   #6392
Performance Moderator

Well, the government does pay your salary, so you're self-funding
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2024, 12:16 PM   #6393
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Defund the gov't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:32 PM   #6394
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
lol so BC isn’t part of the stupid carbon tax credit the rest of Canada is getting..

My buddy in Toronto with a household income over 400k is getting $280 4 times a year
bc has their own carbon tax rebates, only you don't qualify for any if you make a certain amount, and that amount is low. tbf if i was making 400k i wouldn't really have a problem with not getting anything back.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 01:05 PM   #6395

His problem is that his buddy makes 400k and DOES get something back. Which I totally agree with.
Although it is Honda, and he's definitely of the mind that anyone who makes more than him should be above the threshold for refund, but his income bracket should get maximum refund, and anyone below should also get nothing back because they don't pay enough anyways lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2024, 01:11 PM   #6396

My friend has a couple teslas, a 2+ million dollar home, already gets subsidies for day care etc. and is in the market for a vacation property

I thought Trudeau said “ unless you have a big bome and drive multiple vehicles you’ll get a rebate”

So like upper middle class is getting these, and almost the full amount.. what the fuck is the point.

I don’t want any hand outs or tax rebates, how about we just not create “taxes” that give out money? How does any of this make sense? When Turd and Co can’t even eloquently explain what this tax is doing, you know it’s gotta be a good one!

My buddy did quick calculations and figure the GTA makes up for over 8 billion of these free “rebates”
Old 04-16-2024, 01:20 PM   #6397
Performance Moderator

I mean, he's probably desperate for votes and only ON and QC matter when elections happen right? lol
Old 04-16-2024, 01:22 PM   #6398

That’s the only reason my buddy figured he was eligible for it
Old 04-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #6399

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,758 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Canadian politics thread

Your thoughts on the federal budget announcement?

Despite massive spending on housing, the federal government will not go deeper into deficit than planned, thanks to better-than-expected revenues from personal income taxes and proposed changes to the taxation of capital gains that business groups warn could discourage investment.

Deputy Prime Minister Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland tabled a budget Tuesday that makes good on her promise to keep the deficit from growing without raising income taxes on the middle class, posting a projected deficit of $39.8 billion for fiscal 2024-25, just a hair below the $40 billion projected last fall.

The budget puts special emphasis on generational fairness and helping younger people – Millennials and Generation Zs — with programs to help renters and first-time home buyers.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
ADVERTISEMENT

“I certainly feel Canadians of my generation and older Canadians have a desire to see younger Canadians succeed and have the opportunities we had to succeed,” Freeland said in a press conference Tuesday.

She said she hears often from Canadians who worry their children or grandchildren won’t ever be able to buy a home.

“With the tax system that we have in place, a nurse or carpenter can pay tax at marginal rate that is higher than the marginal rate a multi-millionaire faces,” she said. “That’s not fair.”

The budget still includes $53 billion in new spending over five years, the majority of it previously announced in measures to accelerate the construction of new homes to address the housing supply crunch, provide meals to lower income school children and take the first steps to a national pharmacare program that will initially cover the costs of birth control and diabetes medications.

The spending is partially offset by what the government calls “tax fairness measures,” projected to bring in $18.2 billion in additional revenues over five years.

Since coming to power in 2015, the Liberal government has run a deficit every year. This year’s budget projects the deficit will fall to $20 billion by 2028-29 but sets no date to balance the books. By then, the government’s total debit is expected to rise by nearly $200 billion, to $1.37 trillion dollars.

Freeland maintains that Canada’s debt is manageable and, when expressed as a share of the size of Canada’s total economy, rates favourably compared to other peer countries.

But a leading business group turned thumbs-down on Freeland’s budget, saying it doesn’t address structural problems in the Canadian economy while discouraging much-needed investments.

“I’m worried the government is overspending again, in a pre-election setup, [with] higher interest rates and debt servicing cost being very high already and rising fast,” said Robert Asselin, senior vice president of the Business Council of Canada.

“With the tax-and-spend budget we’ve seen today, business investments and private investments will be more difficult to make in Canada because of higher taxes on capital.”

Because of new spending that could have an inflationary effect, Asselin said the budget is unlikely to encourage the Bank of Canada to cut interest rates.

“This is not a budget that will substantially help Canadians in the short term,” said Asselin, a former advisor to former Liberal finance minister Bill Morneau.

Over the past few weeks, Freeland and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau repeatedly scooped their own budget with a series of announcements of $38 billion in spending, most of it on programs to speed construction of new homes and the infrastructure required to support them.

Much of the spending is backloading to later years in the five-year timeline. Measures aimed at building new homes, for example, will cost $250 million this year but rise to $1.3 billion annually by 2028-29.

A promised boost to military spending will bring up Canada’s total defence budget to $49.5 billion but not until 2029-30 and still below the target of 2 per cent of GST that members of NATO countries are committed.

HMMMM. A higher tax rate on capital gains:

Of the increased revenues, the government projects a big bump this year by raising the capital gains inclusion rate. Currently, Canadians pay taxes on 50 per cent of capital gains they receive from selling assets, such as businesses, some stock holdings and homes other than their primary residences.

The budget proposes to raise to inclusion rate from one half to two-thirds of capital gains in excess of $250,000, beginning in June, a move that it says would mostly target the most affluent.

But to encourage entrepreneurship, the government will grant a lifetime $2-million capital gains limit to be taxed at half the normal rate. The lifetime limit will be phased in $200,000 annual increments starting in January.

The government says the capital gains changes will affect only a small number of wealthier Canadians, an estimated 40,000 tax filers with an average income of $1.4 million each. But the expected rush of people taking capital gains before the higher inclusion rate takes affect will pump government revenues this year, helping Freeland to meet her deficit target.

“I think the business community will not be happy with the change to capital gains,” said Kevin Page, the former Parliamentary Budget Officer and currently a professor at the University of Ottawa.

“They will argue this is going to hurt investment, this is going to hurt productivity over the long run. It’s a much bigger budget than I think a lot people here today thought we were going to see.”

Freeland dismissed concerns about the potential effect of capital gains changes, saying Canada is doing well on attracting foreign investment compared to other G20 countries, and she notes that inclusion rate has been as high as 75 per cent in the past.

Although economy is slowing, the government says a strong labour market has delivered higher wages, with Canadian household earning more in inflation-adjusted amounts than before the COVID-19 pandemic. The labour participation rate is at historic highs, particularly among women, which the government attributes in part to its national child-care program.

With a higher level of employment, the government takes in more personal income taxes, expected to climb by 6.9 per cent, a figure partially offset by corporate income taxes dropping by 10.7 per cent.

And with wages rising, the government expects to take in an extra $2.6 billion in GST payments this year.

Although there had been speculation Freeland would consider special “windfall taxes” on highly profitable corporations such as grocery store chains or telecommunications companies, the budget didn’t propose any.

There is no adjustment to the increasingly contentious federal carbon pricing regime, but the budget says the government will move forward with a plan to rebate part of fuel taxes collected to small businesses – money businesses had been previously promised.

To further boost the housing supply, the government says it is looking at converting government buildings to residential homes, including land currently occupied by Canada Post outlets or surplus Canadian Armed Forces facilitiea. It will also create a $500 million fund to buy unused building from provincial or municipal governments for possible conversion to housing.

The emphasis on fighting climate change seen in past budgets is superseded by housing and affordability issues but the budget offers up $800 million over five years to help homeowners with low-to-medium incomes defray the costs of energy efficiency retrofits.

It will also give a $607.9 million top up over two years to a fund that provides federal rebates on the purchase of electric vehicles.

It also proposes action on the “Right to Disconnect” for workers in federally-regulated industries, putting up $3.6 million over five years for changes to labour rules that would limit work-related communication outside of scheduled hours. ¬

Like most budgets, this year’s document includes some so-called sin taxes. Smokers will face higher prices as the government implements a $4 per carton increase to the tobacco excise tax, on top of the scheduled inflation-based bump of $1.49 per carton that applied on April 1st. The planned increase to the excise tax on vaping products will also jump. The excise tax increases will reap the government an extra $1.65 billion over five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by pastarocket; 04-16-2024 at 02:05 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:10 PM   #6400

I think it's about 1000 pages of stuff that won't affect anything really, as usual.
The worker communication thing is interesting though, and I love to see forward thinking policy like that. Times have changed and we've got lots of catching up to do.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: