REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #7051
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Even more insanity from local politics arising today..

Vancouver putting forward a motion to install anti suicide netting on the Granville bridge at the cost of 10-20 million dollars..

Meanwhile, the next story run is that private funding was required to keep the DTES public toilets open..

Fucking Priorities man.. it’s hard to believe how obtuse we are at all levels of govt.
I don't know man, last thing I want is to see human splat in front of me while I'm at Granville Island.

Human splatter on E Hastings on the other hand, doesn't really affect me.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 01:44 PM   #7052
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Said there was somthing like 5 suicides in the last 8 years

Pretty sure if all you were concerned about was saving lives, the 10-20 million would go much further elsewhere.

This Christine Boyle said 2 of the suicides were her friends? And now she’s championing this when it wasn’t part of the existing renovations..

Should be a referendum on shit like this tbh.. I’d rather they deal with crack heads laying everywhere than trying to prevent single digit suicides over a decade.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:47 PM   #7053
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
But if everyone thinks the entire country is going to shit like you do, there will be a big ramp up in attempts!

Plus it's pretty much a 1 time expenditure, likely minimum maintenance.

I'm more tempted to ask tendering builders why it costs so much to put a bunch of nets up... but then again I'd be talking out of my ass since I'm not in construction. It's easy to talk shit about stuff when you don't know how things actually work
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2024, 02:47 PM   #7054
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
You're never gonna believe this shit, but a friends family friend was killed 2 weeks ago in Toronto by a jumper landing on their car. What are the fucking odds.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #7055
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ oh my !! I think one of the things that people who want a fence worry about is a suicide landing on Granville Island ... that would not be very good for our tourism.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 03:12 PM   #7056

In Canada we don’t fix the reason people want to kill themselevs, we just install 20 million dollar nets to catch them

Took a bit of a deep dive into suicide nets on bridges though after I posted this and it’s quite interesting
Old 07-18-2024, 03:20 PM   #7057

^ would you like some lube so you can pull your head out of your arse?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2024, 04:17 PM   #7058

Dude watch the movie about the Golden Gate Bridge and suicides from it. I can't remember what it's called, but it's crazy interesting and a quick google will pull it up.
I've been affected lots by suicide in my life. A very close family member, a very close friend, and a few casual friends. It's a very interesting concept.
The fact is, and I agree with you on this, a net isn't fixing shit, BUT it hopefully keeps someone from landing on someone who's not trying to die that day.
I don't have the bandwidth to talk about the way mental health is treated in this country. It's a fucking travesty considering all the "let's talk about it" that goes on without proper access to real programs and the fact a therapist is $180/hour and isn't covered by healthcare.
I appreciate the new mental health hotline that they have created though and I think it's one of the most positive things the current government has done.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2024, 04:25 PM   #7059

I also know people close who have had suicidal attempts, with a plan and all. Thankfully, they came to the point in which they wanted help and checked into hospital. They then spent like more than 6 weeks of support, treatment, medication, transitioning housing, etc. Essentially, they were nursed back to health. The healthcare invested weeks of treatment, hospitalization, counselling, etc.. How much money and resource is that? Nurses and healthcare people who work in Mental health are very understanding, supportive and compassionate. Is the system perfect, of course not. Is the fence going to solve the root cause, of course not. But if a fence somehow can give someone a 2nd chance at life ...

So when some asshat say that in Canada, they only think of installing $20M fences and not fix the reason, it's obvious that he has his head up his ass and blowing smoke from there.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2024, 04:56 PM   #7060

Bra.. you want to talk about mental health? Saving 8 people over a decade for 20 million?

Have a look at the fucking DTES mental health issues. How many people have just frivolously thrown their life away with a needle in their arm over the last decade? And I’m not talking about accidental OD’s I’m talking about willingly taking your own life through drug use.

My initial comment wasn’t so much a this VS that, but it seems utterly insane that we had to find private funding to keep a fucking bathroom open for the homeless, whereas on the flip side we are willing to spend 20 million dollars of public money for what essentially amounts of the vanity of not having a body flop down in front of you while dining at the Keg..

For getting value for money spent on mental health and death prevention, this is completely insane imo.

You say the system isn’t perfect? Lol yea no shit.. these people strung up in addiction can’t get help even if they want it, yet we are going to spend TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS on a net?..

Nah man.. it don’t jive with me, especially as a tax payer paying for this shit, there is no value in this proposition, and if I was in council, this is the exact same argument I would make there.
Old 07-18-2024, 05:40 PM   #7061

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I also know people close who have had suicidal attempts, with a plan and all. Thankfully, they came to the point in which they wanted help and checked into hospital. They then spent like more than 6 weeks of support, treatment, medication, transitioning housing, etc. Essentially, they were nursed back to health. The healthcare invested weeks of treatment, hospitalization, counselling, etc.. How much money and resource is that? Nurses and healthcare people who work in Mental health are very understanding, supportive and compassionate. Is the system perfect, of course not. Is the fence going to solve the root cause, of course not. But if a fence somehow can give someone a 2nd chance at life ...

So when some asshat say that in Canada, they only think of installing $20M fences and not fix the reason, it's obvious that he has his head up his ass and blowing smoke from there.
I don't think having issues with the mental health treatment in this country could be suggested that people have issues with the mental health workers .
The nurses, psychologists, etc are all in I'm sure for what they do, just like most regular healthcare workers. My issue comes with all the performative actions of the government and such that talk constantly about the need to address is but either provide nearly nothing or make it so convoluted that people can't get there.
Care after a suicide attempt is good, but the care should have started long before.
I have no illusions that you can save everyone, but with more understanding of it, more knowledge and more discussions about it, the root is not being properly addressed.
Not to mention that all these OD deaths are basically suicides and clearly increasing.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2024, 03:49 PM   #7062

3 people stabbed downtown all in serious condition after a random stabbing spree. A day after 2 bodies wash up on Vancouver beaches

Love it
Old 07-23-2024, 05:58 PM   #7063

Nanaimo has an organization now trying to put pressure on the govt. at violent crimes up 44% and using this “Aiden Tye” as an example

After violently assaulting a pregnant woman 2 years ago he’s been on a terror spree ultimately assaulting numerous people and consistently destroying and harassing businesses since

https://globalnews.ca/news/10638951/...nder-concerns/

Quote:
Tye has since been charged with assault and mischief, adding to the more than 100 charges laid against him since 2005 ranging from uttering threats to assaulting a peace officer.
How many repeat offenders with dozens if not hundreds of offenders are holed up in all the homeless encampments that are -everywhere- now? lol

We’re fucked.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:22 PM   #7064
Performance Moderator

What do you want to happen tho?

Is PP gonna fix this? I don't know what you're insinuating or identifying as the problem.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:46 PM   #7065

Lock this person up.. lol please

Like don’t care if it’s Turd. The guy organizing this in nanaimo is like.. just wait, he WILL kill someone and the blood will be on the govt. hands

Someone just please enact even the most minor consequences for your actions.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:45 PM   #7066
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
https://breachmedia.ca/pierre-poilie...n-fundraisers/

This article is pretty funny. it's all the mansions pp has gone to to raise money. This is one of the guys mansions he went to. people clowned on this guy pretty hard when he ran for mayor of Brampton.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mqOv6gD84zs

People even dressed up as him for Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/V-nzbCjiE_Y
Old 07-23-2024, 08:57 PM   #7067
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
In other news TMX is set to outpace the entirety of BC in it's economic contribution to Canada:

https://www.westernstandard.news/alb...ll-of-bc/56050

Only thing that could have been better is if we had let private companies build the thing for free rather than the government fuck it up for $34 Billion.

Tragic how BC has fallen, our value add to the economy is basically a wash at this point, few more years of this type of behaviour by residents and our government and we're headed for some major pain economically speaking. Sad how far some people are detached from reality, and how little they understand that natural resource development is more or less all BC has. Historically speaking it is pretty much all we've ever had.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 02:24 PM   #7068
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
5 days parked at a gas station. This guy would get the heave ho from me in less than 30 min.

Old 07-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #7069

Canadurrrr criminal system dismisses a child molester who abused a 6 year old girl due to court delays..

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...wn-out-delays/

Fantastic time to be a criminal in this country. Hopefully somthing incredibly heinous eventually happens to wake enough people up, or there’s somthing worse where people finally take note and demand change. Canada has quickly become one giant Portland
Old 07-24-2024, 02:27 PM   #7070
Performance Moderator

You do realize that none of these laws have fundamentally changed since 1982 right?

Like... this space that criminals live in isn't new.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2024, 03:08 PM   #7071

lol oh really? Ok that’s cool then

I love that people like you cry about any gun violence in the states whenever a shooting happens and it’s like “omg.. somthing must be done!!

And then shit like the last two posts I posted happened and it’s like ehhh.. what can ya do?

Like this is the easiest thing to address its beaucracy.. fix it..

Let all child molesters off! It’s just an old law anyways
Old 07-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #7072
Performance Moderator

I didn't say anywhere that it doesn't need adjustments...

But you're talking from a voice that this is brand new and just recently criminals are allowed to do whatever they want freely and, likely, blaming the current government for making it this way. That's the part that doesn't make sense?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2024, 03:31 PM   #7073

Well of course all levels of govt. are to blame in A) not changing the justice system to dissuade people from commiting these acts

B) Bail reform (a fed level issue)

C) creating a social environment that 1) allows this type of behaviour and 2) has created, in a very short anount of time, record number of homeless and drug addicted people with virtually no support systems in place to address this.

So yes, govt. very much has a part to blame in these situations.

Crazy idea, when you’ve got hundreds of offenses and you’re not changing your behaviour, maybe time you went away for longer than 6 months?

Eventually someone will just take justice into their own hands here and that person righting the wrong will get all the time.
Old 07-24-2024, 03:36 PM   #7074
Performance Moderator

I'm not so sure that penalties are the answer, they never have been in most any country UNLESS you model yourself after a police state or have deepset cultural values that pre-prevent people (ie: Japan)... like the current penal system, that is the constant that hasn't, for all intents and purposes, changed in 40 years... but I agree there's an uptick in incidences.

Part of that is because we have access to so much media, so you simply hear about it more than you would have in years or decades prior. Information sharing is at a peak right now.

But besides that, I think services that assisted people who were on a path towards malfeasance have been cut or are overtaxed or on a decline. Injecting change or funding into that level of prevention would have a pronounced effect on reducing incidents maybe not tomorrow, but long-term. If it was me, that's what I would be targetting -- intervention programs, bolstering existing ones and creating new initiatives.

I do think the parole system needs a serious overhaul though.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2024, 10:50 AM   #7075

Ravi Khalon, minister of housing was on the radio yesterday

In terms of the short term rental ban they have A) no data and no clue how many units returned to the market due to the ban

B) not a single fine issued since the ban came into place