REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #7101
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
lol the worst they've ever been. By what measure? Housing affordability sure, but not for fuckin longshoremen lol.
What metrics are you using other than that?
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:11 PM   #7102
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Unionized workforces.

If the liberal/NDP coalition can’t support the “strongest” unions what hope do small unions have? lol

Like what, the fucking Richmond hotel workers who haven’t had a pay cheque for 2 years?

Not to mention unionized construction etc. all but destroyed by TFW.

I’m not a union person at all, because I’m a great, reliable, worker. But for your average person who wanted a “good” job a union is nothing but a collection box these days. Pay your dues to have less than average wages and working conditions lol

When it comes to unions what’s good for one is good for all generally, and the liberal/NDP coalition has proven consistently they don’t care about organized work forces.

Unions in general are becoming a thing of the past but please don’t be so foolish to think this govt. is any better than the cons would be, they’ve proven for a decade they are terrible for the workforce.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:16 PM   #7103

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Ok, Hondaracer thinking forced binding arbitration is the same thing as right to work policy is all I need to know about what he doesn't know.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:21 PM   #7104

Please.. semantics.

In these cases they are one and the same. Strip power away from workers who are unionized in order to gain leverage for these exact scenarios.

So flip the coin.. and please don’t start with the “but.. but.. the cons!!!”

Make a case for the current govt. coalition being good for any work force, I’ll wait.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:29 PM   #7105

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
A guy who said he was a rep for longshoremen called into the radio yesterday and said the vast majority of his colleagues who, historically have voted NDP because they are “for labour” are now all moving to conservative due to the reality that the NDP no longer supports unions etc.

NDP will likely have some of their worst results in the upcoming election as they are the primary reason the libs maintained power, while at the same time, almost accomplishing nothing they based their partnership on
He is clearly out of touch, I know that in construction the NDP has brought in some programs where certain projects with Provincial funding have to be done through the Union. It's a weird policy because these projects can be bid by any contractor union or not but when working on these projects all the employees on site have to temp. join a union, pay dues at set union rate. It's a really weird program because all your labour gets paid by BCIB, you then pay them. They are also responsible for providing you with 50% of your workforce so you can only use half your regular guys for a project, it's so strange and honestly a ton of risk for the contractor using such a large chunk of labour that your directing but didn't hire.

These projects are going to cost taxpayers somewhere around 30%-35% more than if done traditionally, if that doesn't scream pro labour not sure what does.

https://bcib.ca/

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:39 PM   #7106

So what union are they under? Let me guess, CLAC? Lol

Edit* also that seems to be provincial no? So doesn’t really apply these federally regulated industries?

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-27-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:03 PM   #7107

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
So what union are they under? Let me guess, CLAC? Lol

Edit* also that seems to be provincial no? So doesn’t really apply these federally regulated industries?
Not sure which union and yes it's provincial. I really don't have a problem with the wage thing I think it's good for our guys if we work on one of those projects, as long as I can bid apples to apples it's all good. The problem for me with this program is having to use 50% labour assigned to me from some other org, I know what our guys can do but I don't know what they can do.

We've opted out of all these projects, the risk is way too high for us with question marks on production. The fact that they added a 3rd party in there to facilitate all this work is really concerning as a taxpayer, serves no real purpose other than to suck more money off the taxpayer tit and drive up the cost of some provincially funded projects.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 04:12 PM   #7108

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Jagmeet fought the libs for these unions to a point but I think you just don't get that he has no power. He can do his best to keep the libs in check but end of the day if he blows this coalition he has 0% say instead of 1% say. All he's doing is staying along for the ride at this point in hopes that Trudeau blows it so badly that the libs won't even get to be the official opposition and NDP can take that place but that isn't happening. Its just staying as is and going to be either a con or lib minority again and we will be talking about the same shit for the next 5 years.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 09:01 PM   #7109
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Make a case for the current govt. coalition being good for any work force, I’ll wait.
Any fed gov worker.

Cons wrecked our shit last time they were in power... Phoenix pay system and DRAP cuts
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2024, 09:06 PM   #7110
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
PP is 100% for the worker. Just look at this video here.

Old 08-28-2024, 11:16 AM   #7111

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
BC united is dropping out of the election according to reports.

The BC con party is just the christy clark liberals with a new name.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:19 AM   #7112
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Well, that kinda sucks.

I still think they'll lose, but it definitely adds to the nail biting.

It would be a travesty to see those fuckers back in power in BC.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 11:41 AM   #7113
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Wow ... that's BIG news! Never seen a party implode so quickly and so badly!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/10719653/...pend-campaign/
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 11:44 AM   #7114
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
So instead of splitting the vote the lunatic fringe right wing actually has a chance at winning now. Fuck.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 11:58 AM   #7115
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
honestly im more scared of the bc conservatives than the federal ones.
the provincial conservatives are a lot less restrained than the federal ones. they literally come out and say that climate change is not a threat, it's in their policy.
at least the federal ones say climate change is a threat but we need to transition out of fossil fuels gradually and not suddenly, and that economically we should sell LNG overseas where it will help other countries use less fossil fuels. whether or not you think that's doing enough is one thing, but climate denial is not in their policy.

bc ndp is actually doing a good job especially under david eby imo.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 12:23 PM   #7116
SFICC-03*

here are a few policies on their website that jump out at me

Quote:
HOLD ACTIVISTS ACCOUNTABLE
Activists who impede the activity of resource development through illegal blockades, harassment and violence must be held legally, and financially responsible for their actions – as must the groups that support them.
I think this is pretty dangerous stuff. I get that we don't like people holding up projects, but to severely criminalize activists in general is a bit too fascist for my liking.

Quote:
REMOVE IDEOLOGY FROM THE CLASSROOM
Political bias and ideology have no place in B.C.’s education curriculum and must be removed immediately. Schools must be places of learning – not tools for activism and indoctrination.
who knows what this means. schools teach science. maybe science is on the chopping block? is evolution political? is evidence based reasoning? to some it is.

Quote:
PROTECT FREE SPEECH ON CAMPUS
Universities and colleges that do not support and defend freedom of expression on campus will be defunded. Taxpayer money will not be used to support places of censorship and intimidation.
so now universities have to allow the likes of candace owens and matt walsh and some of these other types who are trying to export US style right wing ideologies into the world. most of which don't even believe the stuff themselves but just profit off of it.

Quote:
CHOICE AND COMPETITION
Allow choice and competition in the delivery of health care services while retaining universal access for all British Columbians. End the government's court case against private clinics and unleash the power of private-sector innovation.
here comes privatization into healthcare and the erosion of the concept of equal access.

Quote:
OPPOSE AND REPEAL BILL 36
B.C.'s healthcare professionals have a right to freedom of conscience and bodily autonomy. Under Bill 36, the healthcare workers we once applauded as "frontline heroes" could be fined or jailed for refusing government decrees, including COVID vaccine mandates. We oppose this bill.
medical professionals already had to have vaccines against other viruses before covid and now they want to just make it political.

Quote:
NO MORE “TENT CITIES”
Illegal “tent cities” lead to increases in crime, violence and disorder in otherwise peaceful communities. They are unfair to those who work hard, pay their taxes, follow the law and have had their neighborhoods stolen from them.
its illegal to be homeless. where will these people go exactly?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 12:24 PM   #7117

Most of Eby’s ventures have been relative failures compared to when Horgan was the leader.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a minority govt. either way

As per the Vaccine thing, you didn’t notice when the NDP almost immediately trotted out Bonnie to say the mandates Covid vaccinated healthcare workers would end when Bc cons and united both said they would end that policy? Lol that was 10000% politically motivated, nothing else.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:30 PM   #7118
SFICC-03*

Icbc was fixed overnight when eby came in
Old 08-28-2024, 02:44 PM   #7119

Sarcasm?

Going with No Fault was really like hitting the lazy button for "fixing" ICBC.

Did it curb scammers? Yes. Did it also screw a number of people with legitimate issues? Also yes.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #7120
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I mean... not using all of ICBC's liquid money every fiscal year to balance the budget was already a win
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 03:07 PM   #7121
SFICC-03*

Decisions like this are not going to benefit everyone, there will be some losers unfortunately, but i think no fault is definitely considered a success. Rates have barely gone up or theyve gone down and they didnt need a bailout.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:27 PM   #7122

I think it's easy to say "There will be losers" until you become one of those losers.

I mean my rates went down, and I got all the rebates. But that won't mean shit if someone hits me, and I'm injured and and don't get the proper compensation I need.

That's why I say it's the lazy solution, rather than spending the effort to figure out how to target the scammers directly.

Agree with not using ICBC as a piggy bank, that was straight up stupid.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 03:56 PM   #7123

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Cutting out the greasy lawyers who were taking the majority of the compensation was a good move.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 03:57 PM   #7124
SFICC-03*

Look, with the two parties to the right merging were literally talking about BC Liberals 2.0.

I may have a shit memory but its not shit enough to forget about what a disaster that party was. I hope nobody else here does too.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2024, 04:33 PM   #7125
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I think it's safe to say that Kevin Falcon should probably never re-enter into political life. He is either the worst politician or guy with the worst timing/luck .. or all of that.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote