REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-13-2024, 03:30 PM   #7226
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
tax is tax - money in / money out. it's a pretty simple balance sheet.

people will spend 5 years bitching about carbon tax, but never really look at that little line on their paystubs for income tax.

vote for how governments spend - how they collect the revenue for that spending is moot.

if anything - these consumption taxes are a bit more fair. rich guys gotta buy gas too. it's basically the same as increasing GST on certain items.

but say the word "carbon" and everybody loses their minds.
Well yea that was kind of my point in the previous posts. A tax is a tax, cons could cancel the carbon tax and write in some new bullshit mobility tax or whatever you want to call it, you’re still taking tax revenue

The point is moreso what Evo outlined in that you attempt to justify this specific tax by being virtuous and for the environment, when in reality it was the same old shit that did nothing for anyone. The annoyance comes from sack of shit politicians telling us for almost a decade that this was the green movement and it was in our best interest and future interests to have this type of taxation in place, when, of course, it was just another strung out lie
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2024, 08:21 AM   #7227
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
This carbon tax shit is getting so fucking annoying. Now the cons are saying they will invoke a non confidence motion to trigger a "carbon tax election"
That's the biggest issue at hand here? That's the platform? That's the number one issue that everyone is thinking about? Fucking come on. It shows how there is no plan and no platform.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #7228

Well.. you just said what you said on the last page? Lol vote for sonthing that improves your situation? Getting rid of the carbon tax at a federal level would, in theory, put more money in your pocket.

People can cling to this notion that the liberals actually care about social issues, or reconciliation, or any of this other shit their platform has been based on for the last decade. But that was all just lip service. Most of those issues are far worse off now, and we are far more divided now. Hate among minority groups rising due to terrible immigration policies etc. liberals only have to look in the mirror when people talk about the current state of this country

lol like look at this shit provincially, is the NDP’s platform copying the cons proposals?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-to-open-hi...ties-1.7038703

A nice follow up to that story, 13 year old girl dies from overdose in a homeless encampment after getting all her paraphernalia etc. from the vending machines and “safe supply” strategies.

You can get kicked off a plane for being an unaccompanied minor, but you can self-discharge from treatment facilities to go OD in a homeless encampment

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...anna-macdonald

Crazy that these policies aren’t working, who’d have thunk just providing and enable drug use as opposed to funding treatment and recovery would go sideways

For anyone who hasn’t driven through the DTES or even Chinatown recently, I implore you to go have a look. Went downtown on Friday for a show and holy fuck… not only is this shit worse than ever, it’s spread further and further out of the DTES. Full blown encampments now throughout China town, rogers arena, QE theatre etc.

It’s fucking pathetic.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-15-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 12:00 PM   #7229

All those things you posted below are a lot more important to everyone than the carbon tax, or at least they should be. Why aren't they campaigning on policies that will address that? Cause they have no fucking idea what to do to address it. Like what are you even talking about here? It proves my point further that "a carbon tax election" is embarrassing for anyone that actually gives a shit about anything at all.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2024, 12:07 PM   #7230

Well yea… again it’s kind of like.. the current regime has completely shit the bed on this. We’ve hit rock bottom when it comes to a lot of these social issues. Is it best to continue on with the status quo or try somthing new even if it has to be started from scratch?

I’m leaning towards the latter.

Anyone who still supports the liberals or thinks they are a better option than the cons federally, please make an argument for their success on the following MAJOR platform items they’ve run on in the last decade:

-reconciliation
-affordability
-the environment
-crime

Here is a fucking goldennnn article back from 2015 outlining their platform

Reading this now is like satire.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2259367/w...tion-platform/

Imagine supporting a party who’s entire platform has been a failure over a decade and 2 elections

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-15-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 09:10 PM   #7231

You keep going off on this tangent about other shit like I'm defending the libs record on anything at all, but again, I'm talking about how stupid a platform based on a carbon tax is.

Since you want to change the subject:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.7324079
Eby committing to 400 new involuntary mental health care to make up for the nearly a thousand the BC libs cut back when they closed Riverview.
Can I hear about how this is somehow a bad idea cause it is the NDP implementing it, even though it's probably exactly what you'd want to see from another party?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2024, 12:26 AM   #7232
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For anyone who hasn’t driven through the DTES or even Chinatown recently, I implore you to go have a look. Went downtown on Friday for a show and holy fuck… not only is this shit worse than ever, it’s spread further and further out of the DTES. Full blown encampments now throughout China town, rogers arena, QE theatre etc.
Are we going to the same Chinatown, Hondaracer? Cuz since May, I've had to attend to some on-going business in Chinatown, and I had to be there once every 3 - 4 weeks. I was mostly going around the area bounded by Pender, Columbia, Union, and Gore, and compared to last year, I'd actually say Chinatown seems to have cleaned up a bit this year.

There seemed to be fewer homeless people passed out / sitting down on the streets. The stench of urine / feces on the streets was significantly less noticeable than last year. There was also far fewer feces that I have spotted this year. Almost every time when I went there (between May and early Sept), I came across someone who appeared to be part of the vulnerable community there doing garbage pick up (off the streets) as part of some sort of socially funded program. It still wasn't Shaughnessy, but it was a noticeable improvement compared to last year.

Potentially, I can see how things could get ugly real fast on Hastings, since that has always tended to be the epic center of the homelessness issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Eby committing to 400 new involuntary mental health care to make up for the nearly a thousand the BC libs cut back when they closed Riverview.
Can I hear about how this is somehow a bad idea cause it is the NDP implementing it, even though it's probably exactly what you'd want to see from another party?
I am not parroting Honda's suggestion of how the (provincial) NDP is turning everything into shxt, but I seem to recall that every social / outreach worker that I've heard on radio insists that involuntary treatment is a very bad idea, regardless of whether it is mental health care, or drug addiction care. When the central figure receiving treatment and/or support is not onboard with the program, chances of relapse and fatal outcomes are quite a bit more common than if the plan has participant buy-in.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2024, 04:04 AM   #7233
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again;

The governments (at all levels) introduce all these different taxes to try and make taxation fair across the entire population.

The biggest issue with that approach is that government is inefficient. So each tax they introduce costs millions to implement. I would actually be in favor of consolidating some forms of these taxes and just paying slightly more on income tax.

Atleast then ideally the government can shed some fucking public sector workers. Our public sector has become way too big of a inefficient drain on our economy, this is reflected when you look at our productivity numbers. Canada is burdened with Taxes to continue feeding an absolutely eye watering amount of public workers who do nothing to further productivity or add to our GDP.

Adding CRA workers to address the problem with retrieving all the benefits the government just stupidly paid out with zero consideration driving us into this inflationary crisis, is literally furthering the problem. Unless that worker is Cities adding gardeners, janitors, office administrators, etc, at a shocking pace. All of these are problems. Not only does it detract productive workers from our employment pool, but each one creates an expense for which we need to continue adding taxes.

Imagine if you could strip the voting power away from anyone who works in the public sector, then see how much these political platforms change. The issue is that 25% of people in canada are public sector, so if anyone runs on the platform of cutting public workers, they are alienating an absolutely massive voter base.

Just for reference the US public workers are like 14.1%. Now health care and education are a big reason we have always been higher in Public workforce (and i'm certainly not advocating for cuts to teachers, or Doctors/Nurses), but the US also has a way bigger military workforce.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2024, 06:42 AM   #7234

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You keep going off on this tangent about other shit like I'm defending the libs record on anything at all, but again, I'm talking about how stupid a platform based on a carbon tax is.

As I said in the original post referencing this, they are just copying the cons platform ideas? Cons introduced this idea and a week later the NDP trots it out, this is just playing catch up when you have run out of ideas.

If it’s the right thing to do, it’s the right thing to do, but this isn’t an NDP idea lol just like removing vaccination requirements for nurses wasn’t.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:45 AM   #7235

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again;

The governments (at all levels) introduce all these different taxes to try and make taxation fair across the entire population.

The biggest issue with that approach is that government is inefficient. So each tax they introduce costs millions to implement. I would actually be in favor of consolidating some forms of these taxes and just paying slightly more on income tax.

Atleast then ideally the government can shed some fucking public sector workers. Our public sector has become way too big of a inefficient drain on our economy, this is reflected when you look at our productivity numbers. Canada is burdened with Taxes to continue feeding an absolutely eye watering amount of public workers who do nothing to further productivity or add to our GDP.

Adding CRA workers to address the problem with retrieving all the benefits the government just stupidly paid out with zero consideration driving us into this inflationary crisis, is literally furthering the problem. Unless that worker is Cities adding gardeners, janitors, office administrators, etc, at a shocking pace. All of these are problems. Not only does it detract productive workers from our employment pool, but each one creates an expense for which we need to continue adding taxes.

Imagine if you could strip the voting power away from anyone who works in the public sector, then see how much these political platforms change. The issue is that 25% of people in canada are public sector, so if anyone runs on the platform of cutting public workers, they are alienating an absolutely massive voter base.

Just for reference the US public workers are like 14.1%. Now health care and education are a big reason we have always been higher in Public workforce (and i'm certainly not advocating for cuts to teachers, or Doctors/Nurses), but the US also has a way bigger military workforce.
The Canadian public sector is a larger percentage of the govt. than it is in the USA.

How can that possibly make sense? For a country that has 8 times as many people, with, as you said, virtually no military forces in comparison.

Bloated with incompetence.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:34 AM   #7236
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
tax is tax - money in / money out. it's a pretty simple balance sheet.

people will spend 5 years bitching about carbon tax, but never really look at that little line on their paystubs for income tax.

vote for how governments spend - how they collect the revenue for that spending is moot.

if anything - these consumption taxes are a bit more fair. rich guys gotta buy gas too. it's basically the same as increasing GST on certain items.

but say the word "carbon" and everybody loses their minds.
Truth which is why when it comes to any sort of tax I don't even bother because the GOV is going to get that money from you one way or another. Even when the GOV does something seemingly nice i.e. remove tolls from the Port Mann you best know they'll just recoup that somewhere else. Call it whatever you want they're getting their money.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 07:44 AM   #7237

A group of 10 BC mayors and a bunch of top cops are having an emergency press conference right now to call out Eby and the feds over public safety and addiction

Going off on how nothing has changed and we are at a tipping point, this is great. Sim going off how all govt. has failed law abiding citizens and bail reform leaving people in the streets to murder others.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:29 AM   #7238
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Oh yes, the mayor who said he'd hire 100 new cops, nurses, and didn't, is conveniently coming out before election time to whine about the streets.

You can't be that stupid Honda. This is clearly a ploy for the Cons/BC United to bullshit their way back into power and rob this province blind once again.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2024, 09:53 AM   #7239

All these stories regarding the hiring said the 100 officers was met even with counting the traditional hiring of retirement replacements?

https://thetyee.ca/News/2023/10/10/1...ven-10-Nurses/

That article also says towards the bottom VCH is “on track” to hire the positions for mental health support that ride along with cops?

Obviously bail reform and allowing people with 100 convictions back onto the streets is likely a bigger driver of crime and disorder than a police force that has no ability to keep these people from returning to the streets and reoffending
Old 09-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #7240

Machete reform is coming to protect us all

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...n-niki-sharma/
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #7241
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Machete reform is coming to protect us all

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...n-niki-sharma/
I won’t feel safe until there’s a 3 trillion dollar machete registry implemented
This post thanked by:
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #7242
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I won’t feel safe until there’s a 3 trillion dollar machete registry implemented
If McKinsey's commissioned to implement this, triple the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #7243
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,122 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts

This is our politics. After being off for so long...they come back and do stupid shit like this. Nothing constructive, nothing that makes our country better than today.

They are all the same.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #7244

Call an election and stop dragging it out then.

Liberals just lost two strongholds they’ve held for decades in bi-elections. People are done with the liberals. Turd clinging to power for what, ego? What does he hope to achieve now without the coalition. Total waste of time as per usual.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #7245
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:

Liberals just lost two strongholds they’ve held for decades in bi-elections. People are done with the liberals.
go tell PP

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #7246
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:

Liberals just lost two strongholds they’ve held for decades in bi-elections. People are done with the liberals. Turd clinging to power for what, ego? What does he hope to achieve now without the coalition. Total waste of time as per usual.
People love clinging to power. What is so odd or suprising about that?

I'm surprised Jagmeet got triggered by the heckler though. He is a veteran politian himself, so this type of heckling should be nothing new. Of course, the name of the YouTube channel -- Canadian Free Living -- already suggests that the videographer and/or the hecklers were specifically out looking to stir shxt up and instigate.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #7247

These YouTubers are the biggest fucking cancer. Going and stirring shit up then acting like they've been victimized by the whole thing.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #7248
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,122 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:

It's all a total waste of time. Whoever's in power, it's a charade of power. All these members of parliament will come and suck dick when they need the votes. When they're in ottawa, they're just bus riders for their own party leader's bitching. They don't address any particular needs of their constituents, some might not even live in the riding they represent.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #7249
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,366 Times in 461 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
low key that did not look violent - more polite than convos I've had this month in the city lol

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
It's all a total waste of time. Whoever's in power, it's a charade of power. All these members of parliament will come and suck dick when they need the votes. When they're in ottawa, they're just bus riders for their own party leader's bitching. They don't address any particular needs of their constituents, some might not even live in the riding they represent.
At least with a majority you can make decisions relatively unimpeded