REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #976
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I think it is technically possible to travel to the US using a Canadian passport... but I could be wrong.
Not according to the US government.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

Quote:
U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.
Something smells.
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #977
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Not according to the US government.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

Something smells.
I think it's really up to the discretion of the officer and where you are entering from. I've only done this at land crossings, so don't quote me on this.

However, I've had occasions where I only brought the CDN passport (pre-Nexus, post-requirement days) and was able to cross by telling the officer that we forgot the US passport.

Now, we just use Nexus.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #978

scheer takes a chair as everyone else stands for the Canadian national anthem. I guess he was waiting for the US anthem?

//https://twitter.com/MarcGarneau/status/1184468914123751424
Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #979
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
^ so this is a sticking point? Was there any form of explanation? You are sounding rather obsessive in this thread, nothing unusual for the left, but 'normal' I suppose.

I really could care less about Obama or any other celebrity's opinion, so let's just have a gander back at the last 4 years of Crime Minister Happy Socks. Perhaps Manic can play along and point out how many times you wish to blame Harper still for the following list:

The Trudeau Resume, Canadian Federal Elections 2019:
-Breaking ethics laws twice (yes he’s a criminal). He is actually the only Prime Minister in our history to ever be convicted twice for breaking our ethics laws.
-SNC-Lavalin scandal (Subversion of Canadian Justice System, Breaking ethics laws #2)
-Aha Kahn illegal vacation (Breaking Ethics Laws #1, Cost us $250k)
-Blocked RCMP from investigating the SNC scandal (what else is he hiding?)
-Hid his expenses regarding the illegal vacation for over a year (Rather than face the music, Mr. Transparency tried to fool Canadians and hide the truth).
-Blackface (Racist and any educator who is 29 knows better)
-Brownface (Racist and any educator who is 29 knows better)
-Paying off murderers/terrorists (Omar Kadir, $10.5-mil of your tax dollars)
-Giving free fridges to billionaires ($12-mil to Loblaws, yes it was your tax dollars).
-Groping the BC journalist (Fake Feminist says ‘we experienced the event differently - but would have fired anyone else for doing the same or even joking about it).
-Elbows female legislator in parliament. Says sorry but that he’s only human.
-Jody Wilson-Raybould (Trudeau illegally tried to help his buddies and JWR refused to give in. He kicked her out of the party).
-Jane Philpotts (resigned her position due to SNC Lavalin because she couldn’t support Trudeau and then he kicked her out of the party for it).
-Eva Nassif (Fake feminist kicked her out of the party for not using social media to fool the masses during the SNC Lavalin scandal)
-Missing $2.5 billion (maybe you misplaced it in your trust??)
-His India trip and the national embarrassment (inviting a terrorist, dressed like a clown)
-Treatment of veterans (they ask too much)
-Treatment of Indiginous People (still boiling water, betrayed over the trans mountain pipeline, sarcastic comment to indigenous protester).
-Treatment of Canadian people (lies & corruption, national embarrassment)
-Mr. environment bought a pipeline (trans mountain)
-His words: Admire China’s dictatorship
-His words: Fidel Castro was a great man (nobody wants to speak poorly of their father)
-Transparent: hiding behind cabinet privilege (SNC Lavalin)
-Transparent: Refuses to attend national debates. Would rather they get cancelled so he doesn’t have to face the music.
-Budget: the budget did not balance itself. In fact, it is historically high. In 4 more years of Liberal ‘leadership’ our children will have to spend decades paying this debt back.
-Refusing to secure our borders or fight crime. Rather than tackling the big problem of crime, he is targeting law abiding gun owners instead. He has lied about the rules of ownership, the regulations around sales and transport in an effort to raise fear and pander to uneducated voters.
-Letting terrorists into our country (100’s of Drug Cartel members, 60 ISIS fighters, etc).
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
^ so this is a sticking point? Was there any form of explanation? You are sounding rather obsessive in this thread, nothing unusual for the left, but 'normal' I suppose.

I really could care less about Obama or any other celebrity's opinion, so let's just have a gander back at the last 4 years of Crime Minister Happy Socks. Perhaps Manic can play along and point out how many times you wish to blame Harper still for the following list:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

So where did you copy and paste that from?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #981

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Corporate shill Barak 'Drone Strike' Obama is a welcome endorsement for the Liberals?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #982
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
He's not a government official anymore, so i don't think it's foreign meddling.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #983
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
So where did you copy and paste that from?
10/10 response and rebuttal to any of the points being made. Photo of anyone waiting for you to contribute anything valid in this thread:

JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #984
HELP ME PLS!!!

I made a detailed rebuttal to the same type of post a while back (which was copy and pasted from some hockey players twitter). I received no response to my rebuttal.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #985

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post

I don't believe polls. Polls also said Clinton was easily going to win in 2016. There is a lot of disdain for Trudeau even amongst long-time Liberal supporters. This is not the Liberal party of Martin or Chretien, it's become more like a cult of stupidity and incompetence on both a personal and policy level. I know a lot of people who voted for Trudeau just to see a change from the years of Harper and even when Trudeau won I said 'fair enough' and gave him the benefit of the doubt to prove himself. Not one of those people intends to vote to re-elect him. Only time will tell.
While this is certainly the most popularly cited "blunder" amongst polls

There have been many others since, right here in our very own elections.
Supposed NDP lead in Ontario:

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/the...keeps-growing/

Results:

Alberta projections:

The trouncing:

New Brunswick polls:

Results:

PEI polls:

Results:

Funny, isn't it. How polling "inaccuracies" always seem to favor the left leaning parties.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #986
HELP ME PLS!!!

Arent they projecting a Conservative minority? Whats your guess it'll be?
Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
10/10 response and rebuttal to any of the points being made. Photo of anyone waiting for you to contribute anything valid in this thread:

How do you want me to respond to: Elbows female legislator in parliament. Says sorry but that he’s only human or Fidel Castro was a great man (nobody wants to speak poorly of their father).

The list is full of B.S. Why doesn't he go through each line and explain everything with actual proof. I'm not going spend hours going through a list that took him 2o seconds to copy and paste.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #988
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Polls don't use a large enough sample size and they're "accuracy" is based on outdated methods.

As usual for election time, Facebook is flooded with stupidity.

Example: "If you know any green voters in these 6 ridings, tell them to vote NDP. If they split the vote progressives will lose." Don't even get me started on voting "strategically."

Of course, no one reads the article which says:
https://advancedsymbolics.com/headin...-up-for-grabs/

Quote:
Polly—Canada’s only AI pollster—looked at the voting intention in 6 close races as of October 10th.

Research Information
This study was performed by Advanced Symbolics Inc. on behalf the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers

Study period for voter support projections:
October 9–10, 2019

Sample Sizes:

Courtenay–Alberni: 560
Cowichan–Malahat–Langford: 347
North Island–Powell River: 315
Davenport: 865
Toronto–Danforth: 1,034
Parkdale–High Park: 800
First you have the huge red flag of a poll that's paid for by a union that is advocating for people to vote for the party that most heavily favours unions.

Secondly, assuming it's even unbiased, most ridings have between 100,000 - 110,000 people. Political polls have proven to be incredibly unreliable this decade as they're based on a decades old statistical formula, which only requires a very small percentage of randomly-chosen individuals to be "reasonably accurate." Basically, your costs go up linearly and your accuracy has diminishing returns (square root) the more people you poll.

Third, it's an AI-influenced poll that analyzes social media heavily. Singh was being talked about a lot after the debate, but that doesn't mean people will vote for him.
Quote:
Advanced Symbolics’s patented artificial intelligence, named Polly, collects millions of social-media messages, which are then fed through a proprietary algorithm that monitors how events happening in real time are being talked about. The algorithm then compares its findings to patterns Polly has uncovered in the past. In a sense, Polly resembles those computers that collect all the master chess games of history and, on the basis of that aggregated knowledge, anticipate player behaviour to win. In this case, Polly spits out numbers that express the momentum, or lack thereof, behind various political campaigns, based on an analysis of the internet chatter those campaigns generate.
I'll be shocked if the Green Party doesn't win Cowichan-Malahat-Langford and the poll has them 4th. The number of Green lawn signs north of the Malahat/south of Ladysmith absolutely dwarfs any other party.

Last edited by Jmac; 10-16-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #989
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,290 Times in 2,057 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Would be interesting to run analytics on the elections instead of just polls.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Would be interesting to run analytics on the elections instead of just polls.
Google party searches during debate

-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #991
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Most people probably Googling them because they had no idea what it was
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #992
HELP ME PLS!!!

The time on the xaxis is 4 hours....
Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #993

scheer says he won't bring up the abortion debate but whats he going to do when 50 plus of his MP's want to bring it up?

List of 65 anti abortion candidates.

https://pressprogress.ca/here-is-a-l...uctive-rights/

https://www.sherwoodparknews.com/new...ate-in-toronto

Quote:
The host of the debate, Don Newman, a veteran political journalist, pressed Genuis on his answer regarding abortion, saying abortion is the single biggest issue for Catholics and I’m wondering why any Catholics should vote for you?
Quote:
“Our party policy is clear and our leader has been clear members are free to put forward legislation. Our party is committed to freedom of conscience for its members and protecting it for everyone. There would be a free vote for every member of our caucus if that issue ever came up, as has always been the case and has always been our party policy since it was founded,” Genuis said. “Our leader has been clear that a conservative government will not reopen the issue and that individual members of parliament will have their freedom of conscience protected. I think that’s very clear that members are able to speak. A Conservative government will not reopen the issue and individual members of parliament will be free to be pro-life, to speak about their perspective on that issue and to advocate as they wish.”

Last edited by Manic!; 10-17-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Polls don't use a large enough sample size and they're "accuracy" is based on outdated methods.

As usual for election time, Facebook is flooded with stupidity.

Example: "If you know any green voters in these 6 ridings, tell them to vote NDP. If they split the vote progressives will lose." Don't even get me started on voting "strategically."

Of course, no one reads the article which says:
https://advancedsymbolics.com/headin...-up-for-grabs/

First you have the huge red flag of a poll that's paid for by a union that is advocating for people to vote for the party that most heavily favours unions.

Secondly, assuming it's even unbiased, most ridings have between 100,000 - 110,000 people. Political polls have proven to be incredibly unreliable this decade as they're based on a decades old statistical formula, which only requires a very small percentage of randomly-chosen individuals to be "reasonably accurate." Basically, your costs go up linearly and your accuracy has diminishing returns (square root) the more people you poll.

Third, it's an AI-influenced poll that analyzes social media heavily. Singh was being talked about a lot after the debate, but that doesn't mean people will vote for him.

I'll be shocked if the Green Party doesn't win Cowichan-Malahat-Langford and the poll has them 4th. The number of Green lawn signs north of the Malahat/south of Ladysmith absolutely dwarfs any other party.
I wouldn't say these polls are completely random. I know with Angus Reid one of the first questions asked is the ethnicity of the participant, then gender. Trying to to achieve a specific representation of the demographic. This of course assumes that specific ethnicities and genders will vote accordingly. Clearly not an accurate assumption, IMO. Not at all.
-Norm Franz
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #995
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
How do you want me to respond to: Elbows female legislator in parliament. Says sorry but that he’s only human or Fidel Castro was a great man (nobody wants to speak poorly of their father).

The list is full of B.S. Why doesn't he go through each line and explain everything with actual proof. I'm not going spend hours going through a list that took him 2o seconds to copy and paste.
If you don't already know the details of the first ten, you really shouldn't be commenting here with such bias. So, you are either playing stupid, or you really are just trolling.

Regading allowing doctors the right for them to choose to practice to their personal beliefs - what is wrong with doing such? We make many accommodations for other 'classes' or religions, that is the best part or Canada.

Not everyone has to be grey man and believe what you or the left minded people in general, think is what should be black and white the best or only social conscience - again a freedom within Canada that I hold very near to my being and teach my children to respect the freedoms that many fought so hard to gain, and how so few are now Hell bent on trying to throw them out to be all the same level of pissed-off stupid about everything; it is perfectly okay to have a different opinion and even better if you accept people for the respect they offer to others - regardless of their personal opinions on every social fabric of their being.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #996

Looks like little Greta is planning a visit to Alberta's capital tomorrow. And some are none too pleased.
who would have thought being scolded by a 16 year old while struggling to keep a roof over your head might not be well received.

Wonder how many trips to this completely unacceptable land of ours she'll be making once these elections are over.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...test-1.5324949
Quote:
A group of oil and gas supporters is planning a counter-rally when Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg shows up at the Alberta legislature in Edmonton on Friday.

Glen Carritt, who organized the United We Roll convoy that travelled to Ottawa in February, said a similar convoy will start in Red Deer, Alta., on Friday morning and make its way to Edmonton.

Carritt said the trucks are expected to arrive at the legislature at noon MT, when a climate rally is to begin with Thunberg, 16, who founded the Fridays For Future climate strikes that have galvanized young people around the world.

He said Albertans in the oil and gas sector are frustrated with celebrities visiting the province and telling them how to run their business.
-Norm Franz
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #997
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Where can I get up to date with the current election and who I should vote for?

I managed to find some information.

The NDP is making some great statement for their roles. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by ilovebacon; 10-17-2019 at 09:16 PM.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #998
SiRVs up, dude

Failed 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Where can I get up to date with the current election and who I should vote for?

I managed to find some information.

The NDP is making some great statement for their roles. What are your thoughts?
NDP has a very solid platform this year. And... no risk voting for them either since their leader has already agreed to making a coalition with the Lib's if the cons form a minority govt.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #999
HELP ME PLS!!!

I use isidewith
Old 10-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #1000
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
After watching the debate of the 5 leaders. I think the NDP and Liberal have my vote.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote