REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #1126
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Excavators and dump trucks ain’t running on electricity any time soon.

Obviously we have to get away from fossil fuels, but we have to use the ducking resources we have a mass supply of to make that transition. We can’t just leave oil in the ground and twiddle our thumbs thinking we can back an economy on sunshine and good feelings ffs...

I think a big problem is the way this message is portrayed to the general public and the fact that most are too stupid to understand it on their own.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ic+jcb+digger+

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/n...e-shovels.html

I would like Canada to be a leader in green tech. China is putting lots of money into it.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #1127
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Those are great examples of what I'm talking about. They may not run on gas or diesel but their existence still required oil.

Oil was used to manufacture them.
Every piece of plastic and rubber contains oil
Hydraulic fluid = oil

They may not pollute but petroleum is still very much required. What do we do with the left over portion of the oil that we used to use for energy?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #1128
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
EV is really taking over the landscape of car scene.

And industrial usages are finding creative ways to use EV.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-hug...ds-to-plug-in/

Moving forward, if all the latest news you can read on Jalopnik or any car-related blog is any indication, exciting new cars seems to be either new hypercars or EVs and older ICE worth a damn mentioning.

They don't get excited anymore for new M5, AMGs... etc.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #1129
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
That’s because new cars have been uninteresting for the last 20 years. They finally found something better to write about. Lol.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #1130
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Yes really:

https://twitter.com/clarkhailey95/st...82725405114368

This might shock you, but not everyone on RS shares your interest in JT.
Hey, to each their own. I just figured the way you hyped her up she was some smokeshow.

And, what exactly do you mean by "shares your interest in JT"?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #1131
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
The biggest hindrance to the EV utopia fantasy is that electricity doesn't materialize out of thin air. EV/hybrid represent only 1.9% of the vehicles on the road in BC. I can't find the article now but BC Hydro came out against the legislation that all cars sold by 2040 in BC will be pure EV by saying the power grid cannot and will not support it. They stated that if the number of electric vehicles rose to only 15% the hydro grid would be tapped out. Unless a whole new form of energy production is created it's flat out impossible. If BC wants to only have gas-free vehicles on the roads in 20 years they better start building nuclear power plants as of yesterday. And this is just for the small province of BC that has 3.3 million vehicles on the road, imagine the global scale and energy required. And where do you think all the plastic, rubber, electrical components, etc needed to make these vehicles will come from? Petroleum.

It's a totally different ball game when you want to convert aircraft and marine vessels to EV - this is a lifetime away from being mainstream. Add in the idea that people are going to sit and charge all their individual vehicles for even 15-20 minutes at a time let alone the hour+ it can take right now.... the world doesn't have time for that kind of traffic jam and inefficiency of mobility. Gas burning vehicles are likely to be around for the duration of our lifetimes and beyond.

Some stats: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...doption-in-b-c
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #1132
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
^ this. Considering we as BC residents have bucket loads of available power for cheap makes it even more unrealistic for the rest of the world. Toyota is on the right path with hydrogen vehicles... maybe.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
The biggest hindrance to the EV utopia fantasy is that electricity doesn't materialize out of thin air. EV/hybrid represent only 1.9% of the vehicles on the road in BC. I can't find the article now but BC Hydro came out against the legislation that all cars sold by 2040 in BC will be pure EV by saying the power grid cannot and will not support it. They stated that if the number of electric vehicles rose to only 15% the hydro grid would be tapped out. Unless a whole new form of energy production is created it's flat out impossible. If BC wants to only have gas-free vehicles on the roads in 20 years they better start building nuclear power plants as of yesterday. And this is just for the small province of BC that has 3.3 million vehicles on the road, imagine the global scale and energy required. And where do you think all the plastic, rubber, electrical components, etc needed to make these vehicles will come from? Petroleum.

It's a totally different ball game when you want to convert aircraft and marine vessels to EV - this is a lifetime away from being mainstream. Add in the idea that people are going to sit and charge all their individual vehicles for even 15-20 minutes at a time let alone the hour+ it can take right now.... the world doesn't have time for that kind of traffic jam and inefficiency of mobility. Gas burning vehicles are likely to be around for the duration of our lifetimes and beyond.

Some stats: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...doption-in-b-c
BC ferries actually uses electric engines and Harbour Air is switching over to electric for there planes.

https://www.harbourair.com/harbour-a...ctric-airline/

If you drive less than 400 KM a day you can just charge your car when sleeping. So you would be actually saving time.

The reason why their are not more electrics cars on the road is because they can't produce enough and need more models in the 30 to 50k range. The Hyundai Kona EV is sold out everywhere.

Even gas companies know electric is the future. Petrocan is setting up 50 charging locations. The corporate Petrocan in Nanaimo just installed 2 400kw charging stations.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #1134
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
BC ferries actually uses electric engines and Harbour Air is switching over to electric for there planes.

https://www.harbourair.com/harbour-a...ctric-airline/

If you drive less than 400 KM a day you can just charge your car when sleeping. So you would be actually saving time.

The reason why their are not more electrics cars on the road is because they can't produce enough and need more models in the 30 to 50k range. The Hyundai Kona EV is sold out everywhere.

Even gas companies know electric is the future. Petrocan is setting up 50 charging locations. The corporate Petrocan in Nanaimo just installed 2 400kw charging stations.
BC Ferries - Diesel electric is not EV, it's a hybrid. Full EV and on the main routes like I said is a long ways off.

HarbourAir - it's a publicity stunt and not even a flying concept. As far as I've heard it's not even approved by Transport Canada yet. Puddle jumpers like HarbourAir are always close to land and emergency services. Airliners, again, are decades away from being mainstream.

The rest of your post just proves how far away EV use for everyone really is.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #1135
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
Just here for the tears. Take them Ls.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:57 AM   #1136
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
What do you guys think about Jason Kenney's open letter rant to JT?

https://www.facebook.com/kenneyjason...7641?__tn__=-R

He is certainly milking the situation for all it is worth. And since I rather dislike him and his confrontational stance towards BC, I think he can go fxxk himself. There is absolutely zero chance Alberta can succeed in pulling through a Wexit thing since the legal hurdle to pull it off is just too high, and even if it does, it is an extremely stupid idea that is 100x worst for Alberta than it is for UK to Brexit.

But hey, I'm thinking this through under the assumption that most Albertans are sane, rational beings.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #1137
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
HarbourAir - it's a publicity stunt and not even a flying concept. As far as I've heard it's not even approved by Transport Canada yet. Puddle jumpers like HarbourAir are always close to land and emergency services. Airliners, again, are decades away from being mainstream.
My buddy flies for Harbor Air and I had the chance to talk to him about he EV planes. He believe that the concept is a good one and is excited about the prospect of flying an e-plane. But Harbor is all in on this. They want to be a world leader in ev plane tech which is why they invested heavily in the company that makes the motor conversions.

EV has come a long way and is moving forward almost daily. Maybe Airliners are a long way away from EV, but there are so many more opportunities to use electricity to power us outside of the large applications.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #1138
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What do you guys think about Jason Kenney's open letter rant to JT?

https://www.facebook.com/kenneyjason...7641?__tn__=-R

He is certainly milking the situation for all it is worth. And since I rather dislike him and his confrontational stance towards BC, I think he can go fxxk himself. There is absolutely zero chance Alberta can succeed in pulling through a Wexit thing since the legal hurdle to pull it off is just too high, and even if it does, it is an extremely stupid idea that is 100x worst for Alberta than it is for UK to Brexit.

But hey, I'm thinking this through under the assumption that most Albertans are sane, rational beings.
Maybe it's just because I have family there so I may be biased but I can't understand this disdain for Albertans that I see from their westward neighbour. I mean I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Albertans are good people. They work hard (when there's work to be done), they speak plainly, they're courteous, they usually smile and look you in the eye when you pass. You could strike up a meaningful conversation with about any stranger you see.
It's a stark contrast to what I usually see in a lot of the gvrd.

The consequences to their problems are serious. People are losing their homes. Suicides are drastically increasing. Families are falling apart.
It's hard to believe the lack of empathy I hear from a lot of people for a province that's given so much financially in the past.

Kenney knows wexit is a ridiculous idea. He's been vocal about that. But he's dealing with a lot of desperate and frustrated people
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #1139

I wonder what's more important for jason kenny. Getting a pipe built or getting a con P.M.?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #1140

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I get that people are frustrated but I would think any vaguely intelligent person would consider "Wexit" an absolutely terrible idea that would cost a pile of money up front and increase living costs long term as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Maybe it's just because I have family there so I may be biased but I can't understand this disdain for Albertans that I see from their westward neighbour. I mean I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Albertans are good people. They work hard (when there's work to be done), they speak plainly, they're courteous, they usually smile and look you in the eye when you pass. You could strike up a meaningful conversation with about any stranger you see.
It's a stark contrast to what I usually see in a lot of the gvrd.
Depends on who you're dealing with, but for the most part it's like anywhere else. The majority are normal people doing normal people stuff but eventually you do meet the ones that are the cause of the bad stereotypes. When I'm out there it's mostly at remote work sites so I come across the stereotypes a little more often than someone in a bigger city visiting family.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #1141
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
but I can't understand this disdain for Albertans that I see from their westward neighbour. I mean I understand it, but I don't agree with it.
I don't have any disdain for Albertans, although I do have plenty of it for Kenney and Notley for what they have done. Albertans also seem to be more conservative than I would be, but they are certainly entitled to feel that way.

I seem to think Alberta has a healthy tech sector, but they also seem to rely on the oil sector too much. Like it or not, the undeniable fact is the world has finally started moving away from oil dependence. Whether it is happening slowly or quickly depends on who you talk to, but it is a fact that is not going to change regardless of how much Alberta cries and whines about. Their higher costs of production is also something that will not change, and will not compete well against the RoW should demand for oil drop. For their own benefits, it seems unwise to me that they are only crying about job protection and how people are losing their livelihood. No amount of job protection is going to change the tide. The thing to do is to adapt to it.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #1142
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts

I'll give you the tiny little JCB's, but that CAT dump truck runs an 84L Diesel Generator, and the Rope shovels basically need massive grid power at 7200 to 13800V, 3.6MW (yes, Megawatts).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #1143
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...dget-1.5332779
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #1144

ED the sock was right. The new alberta budget gives a tax cut to the rich corporations and cuts funding to schools and hospitals.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #1145
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
If I got $1000 every time I did someone a favor
I could be mistaken for a politician

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #1146

Looks like everyone gets a trophy.

Scheer: Dude I almost had you.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #1147
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Failed 212 Times in 81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
ED the sock was right. The new alberta budget gives a tax cut to the rich corporations and cuts funding to schools and hospitals.

Never did I think that I will be alive at a time where "Ed The Sock" would be taken a serious political commentator....
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #1148
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Never did I think that I will be alive at a time where "Ed The Sock" would be taken a serious political commentator....
It's Manics world now

This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #1149
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
^

Well played.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
It's pretty bad when a sock seems more creditable than a leader of a federal party.