REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #1451
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Preach on, Reverend Poillievre.
Thank you for applying some sanity to this situation

Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #1452
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
It's not a majority government anymore, that tax raise was rejected by opposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The Liberals tried to sneak it in and the opposition parties rightly fought it and had it removed. Minority government doing its job.
Without any kind of tax increase or new tax how will the government come up with the money for the release package? We can keep printing money forever.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #1453
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,569 Times in 4,937 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
I often wAnder what it would be like if the real Trudeau were the PM today. Not the offspring, which was the result of a union between Pierre and that promiscuous, commando, hippie chick.

Spoiler!

I would love to see Pierre go toe to toe with Dotard. I think Dotard would know better than to cross paths with Pierre. Anyway, a rose is a rose is a rose.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #1454

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I often wAnder what it would be like if the real Trudeau were the PM today. Not the offspring, which was the result of a union between Pierre and that promiscuous, commando, hippie chick.
You spelled Fidel wrong
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-12-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #1455
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,569 Times in 4,937 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You spelled Fidel wrong
Bwahahahaha............... 'cept Justin doesn't look much like....... maybe one of the Rolling Stones, gulolol. His lips looks normal.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #1456
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
In other words, its not in the bill. And, as others pointed out, the opposition made sure that wasn't included in the bill.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 AM   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Without any kind of tax increase or new tax how will the government come up with the money for the release package? We can keep printing money forever.
Borrow
Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Borrow
Not quite.
Borrowing was a tool that ran its course (for Canada) during the 08 financial crisis.
Now, even the BOC is jumping on quantitative easing. They've agreed to purchase $1b of debt every week, through government bonds, mortgage backed securities, corporate equities, etc..
Where does that money come from? Out of thin air.
A tool used to "print money", inject it, and then once the economy is stable, the currency gets removed from supply. Removing it will supposedly keep inflation at bay and allow for rates to remain artificially low.
However, the debt, and interest on it, are NOT removed.
Another leg used to prop up the system of fiat currency.

When this system does run out of "tools", i fear that the crash will be much more devastating than if it had run its course and failed naturally without being continuously propped up.

This is just my basic understanding of this financial situation. If I'm wrong, on any of these points, someone with more knowledge, please correct me.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-13-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #1459
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,199 Times in 1,976 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Welfare, I've stuck to my standards of simply ignoring your posts, as I've said before, you're a troll.

I'm curious though since you've been railing along in this post, and the COVID post, regarding these bailouts by the Trudeau government, knowing your disdain for him and "liberals".

Curious though, in 2008 when the Harper government granted bailouts to the banks, were you as bothered?

https://business.financialpost.com/n...secret-bailout

You will say you were, and I'd say you're a liar.

Borrowing is what countries do in these types of recessions, whether or not this is good practice can certainly be debated. Personally, I don't think many of these industries should be bailed out, as much of this is simply wealth distribution which will affect future Canadians in order to protect the current 10%.

Your lack of consistency is what is grating. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Your viewpoints are objectively hypocritical as you attack the policies of one government, yet give a pass to the same policies as the previous government in which you support.

It's tired.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Welfare, I've stuck to my standards of simply ignoring your posts, as I've said before, you're a troll.

I'm curious though since you've been railing along in this post, and the COVID post, regarding these bailouts by the Trudeau government, knowing your disdain for him and "liberals".

Curious though, in 2008 when the Harper government granted bailouts to the banks, were you as bothered?

Borrowing is what countries do in these types of recessions, whether or not this is good practice can certainly be debated. Personally, I don't think many of these industries should be bailed out, as much of this is simply wealth distribution which will affect future Canadians in order to protect the current 10%.

Your lack of consistency is what is grating. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Your viewpoints are objectively hypocritical as you attack the policies of one government, yet give a pass to the same policies as the previous government in which you support.

It's tired.
That article certainly puts into the question the whole narrative Canadians were told that the Canadian banking system was "sound" and had avoided making the same mistakes its US counterparts made.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

It's tired.
You're confused.
I never mentioned a government bailout once in that post.
The BOC is not controlled by government.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #1462

Sad attempt at strawmanning btw.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #1463
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Not quite.
Borrowing was a tool that ran its course (for Canada) during the 08 financial crisis.
Now, even the BOC is jumping on quantitative easing. They've agreed to purchase $1b of debt every week, through government bonds, mortgage backed securities, corporate equities, etc..
Where does that money come from? Out of thin air.
A tool used to "print money", inject it, and then once the economy is stable, the currency gets removed from supply. Removing it will supposedly keep inflation at bay and allow for rates to remain artificially low.
However, the debt, and interest on it, are NOT removed.
Another leg used to prop up the system of fiat currency.

When this system does run out of "tools", i fear that the crash will be much more devastating than if it had run its course and failed naturally without being continuously propped up.

This is just my basic understanding of this financial situation. If I'm wrong, on any of these points, someone with more knowledge, please correct me.
This post is pretty close to what I would have said. The key, for any central bank, is to control inflation. I think if they can QE their way out of this and remove the money supply after. Then BOC would have pretty much saved us from a recession/depression. We can only sit and watch as it unfolds.

For the record, as I recall, the borrowed or saved companies for the most part paid back their debt, with interest. So the goverment made money from lending companies cash.

I wonder if the goverment is going to bail Bombardier or Air Canada. They're in for a world of hurt.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I wonder if the goverment is going to bail Bombardier or Air Canada. They're in for a world of hurt.
History has shown that the GoC is unwilling to let AC fold. AC will continue to be around. Westjet would've been the worry. However, now that they have a new owner with deep pockets (ONEX), I suspect WJ will also weather this storm and be around when its all said and done.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #1465
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Old 04-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #1466
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cha...ough-1.5530542

Quote:
Initially, the flight was only going to carry the three MPs, but later Scheer's wife and kids were added to the plan.
Whats this guy going to do when he is not the leader anymore. He might have to get a second job.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...s-minivan.html

Quote:
Andrew Scheer, outgoing leader of the Opposition Conservatives, billed expenses to his party including private Catholic school for his kids, private security, an extra housekeeper, a minivan and clothes for his family, according to an internal audit.
Federal Politics
Internal audit of Scheer’s expenses turns up money on school, clothes, minivan

OTTAWA—Andrew Scheer billed the Conservative party for his kids’ private Catholic school, private security, an extra housekeeper, his minivan and clothes for his family, a party review of the outgoing leader’s spending has concluded.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #1467

Last edited by Infiniti; 04-20-2020 at 10:15 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #1468
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
And WTI just plunged 321% as people came to realize the OPEC deal was bullshit and you can't just turn off the taps of shale oil production. Permian basin reservoirs are 100% full. WTI is now -$35 USD a barrel. Even OPEC is down to $17 but they don't give a fuck. Canada could have been in a reasonable position to weather this but blocked pipelines, refineries, and other infrastructure that would have diversified our market and given us options have left us totally exposed. Game over.

Congratulations to the ignorant that wanted the end of the energy industry, they've gotten what they want thanks to COVID and OPEC. We are almost certain to enter the next great depression now as the North American economies will crater.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #1469

Just for a little perspective. The negative WTI prices are for contracts that expire tomorrow. For contracts of any longer duration, prices are in the more normal - albeit still low -$20 range. The only people who would hold a futures contract that expires tomorrow are the people who physically want the oil. And, prices are going negative because nobody is demanding the oil and storage facilities are already full.

Today's flash crash were a limited number of sellers (trading volume was low today) realizing that the game of musical chairs for the month of May was coming to an end and they would be stuck with physical inventory with real holding costs. So, it was rational for them to pay someone to take it. This is not really indicative of anything long-term.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #1470

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Just for a little perspective. The negative WTI prices are for contracts that expire tomorrow. For contracts of any longer duration, prices are in the more normal - albeit still low -$20 range. The only people who would hold a futures contract that expires tomorrow are the people who physically want the oil. And, prices are going negative because nobody is demanding the oil and storage facilities are already full.

Today's flash crash were a limited number of sellers (trading volume was low today) realizing that the game of musical chairs for the month of May was coming to an end and they would be stuck with physical inventory with real holding costs. So, it was rational for them to pay someone to take it. This is not really indicative of anything long-term.
IMHO, I'm not that optimistic about June's future either.

It goes into trading right after the May one ends. And with many countries continuing in lockdown or quasi-lockdown, how much demand can the market create under this kind of situation?

I know there are talks of re-opening economies, but really, it would be only in a very limited capacity. Even looking into June/July, I'd say even 1/3 of re-opening would be the most optimistic scenario.

Today's pricing was so deep into the negative territory, we aren't talking a few cents per barrel, it was -$40 at one point. It gives you how bad the demand for oil actually deteriorated and how limited the storage the world currently has.

All that glut of oil has to be sold down the road and the market continue to pump out millions of barrels per day and again, with nowhere to go. So we are flooded in a sea of oil. Refineries don't want them. Storages are full/too costly. Pending a major cut in production, I just don't see the price improving significantly. It's just a matter of time June contract holders realize that the situation isn't improving and start dumping their holdings again.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #1471
RS controls my life!

Failed 22 Times in 9 Posts
$9 billion student aid packages. Details to come still - sounds like students will get at least $1250/month for those who can't find work

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...tudent-benefit

Quote:

More signs that the spread of COVID-19 is slowing in Canada emerged on Wednesday, prompting further talk of easing the isolation measures that have proven economically crippling.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who has already announced more than $100 billion in various forms of assistance, offered more financial supports on Wednesday.

The money — a total of $9 billion — would go to students struggling to stay afloat but who have lacked access to previously announced emergency financial assistance. Students will receive $1,250 a month from May to August under the assistance, he said.

We want to make sure that you will be OK

“As young people what you’re going through matters,” Trudeau said. “We want to make sure that you will be OK.”

Student grants would be doubled for the coming academic year, the prime minister added.

In addition, the government said it would create 76,000 new summer jobs for young people in sectors that “need an extra hand.” The jobs would be in addition to those on offer through the government’s regular summer jobs program.

Canada's COVID-19 pandemic didn't need to be this bad
COVID-19 patient discharged into cold after 10 days on a ventilator with no instructions

The country’s largest province, on Wednesday, reported its slowest growth in identified cases of COVID-19 in weeks — 510 new cases or a daily increase of 4.3 per cent. Ontario also reported 37 new deaths, bringing the total to 659 deaths on a caseload of 12,245.

Also encouraging was the fact that the percentage of resolved infections has surpassed the 50 per cent mark for the first time.

Premier Doug Ford has mused the province could start easing restrictions ahead of next month’s long weekend if the moderating trend holds.

Trudeau said the trends were positive, showing the measures were working even as he noted that long-term care homes had been “hard hit.”

Nova Scotia, for example, reported two more COVID-related deaths on Wednesday — both at a nursing home in Halifax — bringing the province’s total deaths to 12.

Regardless, the financial fallout of the anti-COVID measures — social isolation and the shut down of non-essential commercial activities — has been profound.

The impact of the epidemic was seen on the inflation front, where Statistics Canada reported the consumer price index for March was up a scant 0.9 per cent compared with a year ago. That was the smallest increase since May 2015 and compares with the 2.2 per cent annualized rate recorded in February.

The government is set to announce its fiscal update for February on Friday — including a deficit number that is bound to look positively microscopic compared to the red ink in which the government has been awash since the pandemic forced the economy to a virtual standstill in mid-March.

Trudeau also said the closure of the Canada-U.S. border would stay in place until May 21 at least.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #1472
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
^ while I don't agree I understand why we might have to help them.

He did say NO to supporting everyone; if you have a job, there is a better need to help those who doesn't have a job right now which is fair.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #1473
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,201 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Trudeau refuses calls to exclude tax haven companies from COVID-19 bailout

Fuck that!

https://www.cpj.ca/writing-letter-your-mp
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #1474
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts