REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #1476
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/slo...emic-1.5542497
Quote:
A Conservative leadership candidate is facing an angry backlash online — and from some of his own caucus colleagues — after he suggested Canada's chief public health officer is working for China and should be fired for giving bad advice to the government on the COVID-19 crisis.

Derek Sloan, an MP from eastern Ontario who is running to lead his party under the slogan "Conservative - Without Apology," posted a message and video on Facebook and Twitter this week claiming that Dr. Theresa Tam had "failed Canadians."

"Dr. Tam must go! Canada must remain sovereign over decisions. The UN, the WHO, and Chinese Communist propaganda must never again have a say over Canada's public health!" he wrote.
"Does [Tam] work for Canada or for China?" Sloan asks in a tweeted video. He also accused the country's top doctor of parroting lines from the World Health Organization (WHO) after it repeated "misinformation" disseminated by the communist Chinese government.

His remarks drew swift condemnation on social media, with some calling his words "repugnant," "vile" and "xenophobic."

Sloan re-tweeted Thursday evening the letter that he originally sent out Tuesday accusing Tam of "dutifully" repeating Chinese propaganda and calling for Tam to be "fired."

Tam, who was born in British Hong Kong and grew up in the U.K., has denounced the rise in anti-Asian racist incidents in Canada since the novel coronavirus erupted in Wuhan, China.
Today, she brushed off Sloan's comments as "noise."

"I'm a pretty focused person and I work really, really hard," Tam said, adding that she has been working more than 20 hours a day.

"My singular focus is to work with all my colleagues to get this epidemic wave under control. I don't let noise sort of detract me from doing that."
Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer repeatedly refused to denounce or comment on Sloan's remarks.

"I won't be commenting on individual statements or positions that leadership candidates take. That's up for them to explain, and ultimately the members of our party will decide when they vote in a leadership race," he said.

Scheer has raised concerns about the WHO's track record during the pandemic and its relationship with the communist regime in China, but has directed his criticism of Canada's response to the pandemic at the Liberal government rather than Tam herself.

"We've got serious concerns about the accuracy of the information coming out of the WHO and it's incumbent upon this government to explain why they have based so many of their decisions on the WHO," Scheer said earlier this month.

Conservative MPs slam Sloan on Twitter

While Scheer refused to condemn Sloan's comments, several other Conservative MPs expressed their concerns through social media.

Alberta MP Michelle Rempel said on Twitter that she couldn't believe she had to publicly explain why Sloan's remarks were "profoundly wrong."
MP Tim Uppal tweeted that while Conservatives will continue to pose legitimate questions about the government's response to COVID-19 and the information coming out of China, "personal attacks against Dr. Tam are unacceptable and do not represent our party."

Ontario Conservative MP Eric Duncan said he wanted to make it clear to his constituents that he doesn't share Sloan's view.

"I may have questions and constructive concerns at times about Dr. Tam and team during these evolving, challenging times. But I will never question her loyalty to Canada and (that she has the) best interest of Canadians at heart," he tweeted.
British Columbia Conservative MP Dan Albas also weighed in.

"What I view as a personal attack against Dr. Tam from a member of our opposition caucus goes against the values that I believe we as elected officials should aspire to. Let us be mindful of the words of (B.C. provincial health officer) Dr. Bonnie Henry; 'be calm, be kind, be safe.'"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked today about the rise in anti-Asian racist incidents across Canada generally and Sloan's statement specifically.
"Intolerance and racism have no place in our country," he said.

"Canada has succeeded because of our diversity. It is one of our greatest strengths, and the millions of Canadians of all different backgrounds who are working together ... to help their fellow Canadians deserve better than this from all of us.

"We need to continue in our resolve to be an open, welcoming, respectful country and I think all Canadians expect that of every politician."
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said Sloan's comments could incite racism and Scheer should condemn them.

"From the beginning of this crisis, we've heard horrible stories of abuse faced by Asian Canadians, particularly those of Chinese descent. There is no question that MP Sloan's comments against Dr. Theresa Tam fuel this kind of racism. Andrew Scheer needs to clearly denounce this," he tweeted.
Sloan's leadership campaign website says "the damage to free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of conscience happening in Canada can not be understated. It's time for everyone concerned about these issues to stand up and support a candidate who will not just pay lip service but get in the line of fire to defend these freedoms."

Sloan's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CBC News.
This Derek Sloan bitch is the perfect representation of why the Cons can not get their shit together. How are comments like that something that will be tolerated from an MP? It's this ignorant tin foil hat conspiracy garbage that is the biggest threat to our country operating in a unified manor. It is done with intention of division of people in this country.
I'm happy some cons were quick to criticize, but surprise, Scheer is as spineless as ever when it comes to denouncing prejudice in his party.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #1477
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Prejudice?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #1478
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Derek sloan accusing Tam of working for china? His own views on gay marriage?

prej·u·dice
/ˈprejədəs/
noun
"preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #1479

Maybe he's accusing her because she's on the WHO board of advisors and has consistently followed their directive.
And many people have accused the WHO of working for China.

Is it prejudice to accuse the WHO of working for China?
-Norm Franz
Old 04-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #1480
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Maybe he's accusing her because she's on the WHO board of advisors and has consistently followed their directive.
And many people have accused the WHO of working for China.

Is it prejudice to accuse the WHO of working for China?
Is he working for Canada or is he working for trump/us.

Last edited by Manic!; 04-23-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #1481

This is the video that caused PM blackface the third to hand down his highly regarded scolding?
Is this racist?
https://m.facebook.com/DerekSloanCPC...0111502808327/
-Norm Franz
Old 04-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #1482

laura lynne tyler thompson is a former PPC candidate and a religious nutjob.

Can you call yourself a politician if you have never held elected office?

https://www.google.com/search?client...tyler+thompson
Old 04-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #1483
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,201 Times in 8,393 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
No COVID-19 bailouts for firms that use tax havens, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #1484

Look who was forced to apologize after lossing a court battle.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #1485
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Wet’suwet’en elected chiefs reject deal struck between government and hereditary chiefs

https://vancouversun.com/news/wetsuw...-77dd9a3eb56e/

Wet’suwet’en elected chiefs call for minister to resign, withdrawal of gov’t agreement

https://globalnews.ca/news/6931468/w...efs-statement/
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #1486

Looks like cov-19 is helping the liberals a lot.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #1487
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
they didn't need covid to help them, the CPC is a total mess. peter mackay is even less memorable than andrew scheer
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #1488

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Wet’suwet’en elected chiefs reject deal struck between government and hereditary chiefs

https://vancouversun.com/news/wetsuw...-77dd9a3eb56e/

Wet’suwet’en elected chiefs call for minister to resign, withdrawal of gov’t agreement

https://globalnews.ca/news/6931468/w...efs-statement/
Not sure how these liberals can claim champions for native rights while simultaneously shutting out the representatives that their people elected.
I wonder how many protests we'll see over this blatant disrespect and mistreatment.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 05-12-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #1489
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,877 Times in 5,634 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Let's face it you can't win with native stuff... you deal with hereditary chiefs the elected ones get mad... you deal with the elected ones, hereditary ones organize protests.

The only solution is to hand over the keys to the country, say sorry for the intrusion here's your Canada back, sorry about the invading and oppressing!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
they didn't need covid to help them, the CPC is a total mess. peter mackay is even less memorable than andrew scheer
It definitely helped a lot of centrists realize how close Canada came to complete catastrophe.

The gun thing is a pretty big issue, but not catastrophic.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #1491
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Looks like cov-19 is helping the liberals a lot.

Handing out 200 billion dollars to people without question would help any party.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #1492
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 05-12-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: We don't need that shit on Revscene. Go to Reddit and stay there.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Handing out 200 billion dollars to people without question would help any party.
Like the cons had a better plan.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #1494
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
Never said they did, and they probably would have done something similar.

I'm saying, it's not hard to get people in favormofmyour government when you give them $200billion dollars in cash in 4 months
Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #1495

Quote:

I'm saying, it's not hard to get people in favormofmyour government when you give them $200billion dollars in cash in 4 months
I see it less as "giving away $200 billion" and more of "taking care of Canadians without having to get into a huge time wasting fight over how to do it"

Maybe more people see it your way though, and just think at that basic of a level.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #1496

Indeed, Canadians are certainly pleased with all this "free" money.
https://nationalpost.com/news/do-not...-and-ei-claims

Quote:
Federal employees vetting the millions of applications for emergency and employment-insurance (EI) benefits during the pandemic have been told to ignore most potential cases of cheating, despite reports of widespread fraud.

If employees detect possible abuse they should still process the payment and should not refer the file to the department’s integrity branch, says a memo issued last month by Employment and Social Development Canada.

It’s unclear whether anyone would be available to investigate the questionable cases, anyway. The memo says the department has suspended “compliance and enforcement” of the EI program, which is helping manage Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) payments.

Meanwhile, a source familiar with the situation claimed 200,000 applications have already been “red-flagged” as possibly fraudulent because of dubious claims of past employment income and other factors.

Employment minister Carla Qualtrough has said the government knew there was a heightened risk of fraud with the pandemic-aid programs but wanted to get the money out to Canadians in need as quickly as possible, working later to claw back any unwarranted payments.

But the memo seems to take that approach a step further, encouraging civil servants to turn a blind eye to abuse.
-Norm Franz
Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #1497

Quote:

They literally had no other choice. Do you think people are having fun right now? No one is using the money to buy a flat-screen tv or a hot tub. The money is being used to make sure people can put food on the table and have a job to go back to.

The liberals are going up in the polls because they are doing what needs to be done so we can get over this and people can get back to work.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #1498

Is there any reasonable explanation as to why the home depot can stay open, but our house of commons can't?

-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 05-13-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #1499
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Employees at Home Depot don't have to take flights from all over Canada to get to their workplace.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #1500

There are more than enough MP's who live in or near Ottawa to have reduced sittings.
-Norm Franz