REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #251
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Next will be minivans.
Advertisement
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #252
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Next will be minivans.
already there.....

https://www.revscene.net/featured-vankulture/
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #253
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,856 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
My favourite car at work back a few years was a 2012 Camry SE V6 with the sport ninja star wheels, looks are subjective but I thought it looked great, massive power, quick steering and handling was good, great brake feel... that thing just ripped, absolutely embarrassed some same year BMW 5-Series in stoplight drags what a fun sedan to drive, not being the slightest bit facetious either it really was a great car!

Pic for reference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CE55C165-90D8-4428-8C14-831C010B337B.jpeg (100.7 KB, 0 views)
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #254
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
After being dirty for soooo long, I finally rinsed off all the winter crap and the car went from pink to red again.
Yeah I do have a front plate, it mounts underneath the splitter so no holes drilled. Removed it to clean.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #255
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,192 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Next will be minivans.

When I first picked it up from the dealer last year

Such a cushy ride haha.

And what I'm hoping to do in the future if budget and time permits. Unless a certain police department thinks it's not suitable for the road compared to the rust bucket CRV that was on CL a while back lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #256
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 141 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
I also recently swapped into something a lot cushier for work.
Totally get it now - pretty relaxing feeling hopping in and across the bridge with adaptive cruise after a long day.

Pros:
  • Comfort: Ride quality is really cushy. Great visibility with the wing mirrors and sloped down windows
  • Drive: Controls (brake, steering) have natural feeling weight, and it now takes a corner with some liveliness! There's definitely some directness and connectedness - doesn't feel a sloppy couch that's rolling over itself like past Camrys.
  • Electronics: Headlights are fuck you bright, 2019 has Carplay.

Cons:
  • Powertrain: The 8 speed is quite jerky especially when cold.
  • Interior has some weird cost cutting tradeoffs as well (full auto up-down windows, but no heated mirrors until XLE trim, no trunk closing handle, etc.)

Quite like they've done with the new gen Camry. Would want to drive a 10G Accord and 2.5T Mazda 6 to see how it compares.

Congratz on the new purchase! How's the 8 speed auto on your new Camry? I heard people are having problems with it, like it being super jerky almost like a DCT at low speed and gear hunting at hwy speed. Have you driven the 2015 to 2017 Camry? How does it compare?

New accord is nice too, but it has a 1.5 turbo with CVT, scared of long term reliability.

Mazda 6 has nice interior and exterior with the 6 speed auto, but long term reliability hasn't been proven, plus you just don't see them on the road, imagine when your car breaks down and you need parts for repair.

So now from a reliability standpoint, the newest car with the most reliable drivetrain is the 2017 Camry which I have been hunting down, tried and true 2.5L port injection engine with 6 speed auto, and also no toyota safety sense. I really hate those.
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #257
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,363 Times in 458 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
Congratz on the new purchase! How's the 8 speed auto on your new Camry? I heard people are having problems with it, like it being super jerky almost like a DCT at low speed and gear hunting at hwy speed. Have you driven the 2015 to 2017 Camry? How does it compare?
Rolling up to a roundabout or right turn usually guarantees a jerky downshift. Manual mode downshifts are quite quick when the transmission is warm but slow and jerky for first 5-10 minutes of driving.

Haven't noticed gear hunting, seems to have adapted to my driving style fairly well.

I have driven a 2015 XSE V6 - the 2019 LE rides and changes direction a lot better.

I can understand the hesitation towards TSS. Definitely took me a while to get used to. Can also turn it off if you really want... I guess the real downside is windshield replacement costs.

I've found TSS fairly easy to override (i.e. if you stay on the gas while it gives you pre collision warning, it will continue to accelerate). Definitely saved my ass a couple times.

Toyota's adaptive cruise programming isn't the greatest (i.e. sometimes accelerates despite a large steering angle) but makes interstate trips fairly mindless.

RE: Accord, 1.5T seems to be having fuel dilution issues in other models
RE: Mazda 6, Skyactive + 6AT seems to have been reliable since launch. Drove a 2017 model in the past but not too impressed by road noise and ride quality. Need to drive the 2019 model which is supposed to address those concerns.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #258

Thanked 9,994 Times in 3,601 Posts
Failed 467 Times in 232 Posts
There's a lot of recalls happening at toyota about their CVT trannies.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...mission-issue/

They even have this service campaign with these cvt's

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/thr...-ssc-jsd.1350/
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #259
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 141 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Rolling up to a roundabout or right turn usually guarantees a jerky downshift. Manual mode downshifts are quite quick when the transmission is warm but slow and jerky for first 5-10 minutes of driving.

Haven't noticed gear hunting, seems to have adapted to my driving style fairly well.

I have driven a 2015 XSE V6 - the 2019 LE rides and changes direction a lot better.

I can understand the hesitation towards TSS. Definitely took me a while to get used to. Can also turn it off if you really want... I guess the real downside is windshield replacement costs.

I've found TSS fairly easy to override (i.e. if you stay on the gas while it gives you pre collision warning, it will continue to accelerate). Definitely saved my ass a couple times.

Toyota's adaptive cruise programming isn't the greatest (i.e. sometimes accelerates despite a large steering angle) but makes interstate trips fairly mindless.

RE: Accord, 1.5T seems to be having fuel dilution issues in other models
RE: Mazda 6, Skyactive + 6AT seems to have been reliable since launch. Drove a 2017 model in the past but not too impressed by road noise and ride quality. Need to drive the 2019 model which is supposed to address those concerns.

I bet the handling and steering are improved for the new gen Camry for sure.

The 2017 Camry'a handling feels acceptable to me, but steering is definitely very numb and light, but it's good for daily driving for sure.

Biggest shock to me is, the 2017 LE feels so smooth, so quiet but the ride is super soft, going over a bump or road imperfections feels so damn soft and floaty. Then I tried the SE, which is the extreme opposite, like there is no in between between their luxury and sport trims. The ride felt so hard and harsh, just crashing over bumps.

I have only taken a super short test drive on the 18 or the 19 Camry, but felt the transmission shifted weird, maybe rough and jerky like you said.

Haven't done research on TSS, but I know there are quite a few videos showing Honda's pre-collision braking false braking, like the car in front of you takes a right turn, you had a good following distance to the car in front of you, but system reacts incorrectly and brakes the car so hard. Just imagine the tailgater rear-ending you. I'd rather trust my right foot and my judgement.

And there's another instance where there is no center divider between opposing traffic, someone said the opposing traffic came into his lane, and he tried to steer quickly without signal to avoid collision, but the system fights the driver's steering like it's designed to do. Imagine losing your life over a head on collision because of a safety technology intervened your quick lane change.

I thought part of TSS is also embedded in the toyota emblem on the front of the car? The 2017 has the ACC in the front emblem.

Just like you said, don't break your front bumpers or front windshield. Or wait 10 plus years, and see how much those stuff cost to fix when they break, I bet very expensive which is another reason these things suck, work great when they work when new, but costly to fix.
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #260
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
unless you don't mind having or expecting those Safety system malfunctions as they roll out (usually the fail-safe is a disabled system anyway), it might be a good idea to wait a little bit as the wrinkles are ironed out. We had a large wave of reprograms/replacements at Nissan just a little while back, and still are doing them.

Another thing to note, is the immense sensitivity of the front radar distance sensors. If it's been hit by the collision or dropped, it's NG and about a grand for a new one. And be wary of body shops not replacing the sensors, or reusing bent brackets.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #261
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,363 Times in 458 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
I bet the handling and steering are improved for the new gen Camry for sure.

The 2017 Camry'a handling feels acceptable to me, but steering is definitely very numb and light

Then I tried the SE, which is the extreme opposite, like there is no in between between their luxury and sport trims. The ride felt so hard and harsh, just crashing over bumps.

I have only taken a super short test drive on the 18 or the 19 Camry, but felt the transmission shifted weird, maybe rough and jerky like you said.

I thought part of TSS is also embedded in the toyota emblem on the front of the car? The 2017 has the ACC in the front emblem.
RE: Steering, the 2019 has appropriate weight buildup when at speed so it doesn't feel twitchy on highways unlike previous Toyota models (but not the "we're adding weight cuz it's sporty" kind of weight). Definitely feels like it's connected to 'something' and it's quite precise - haven't noticed a center deadzone

RE: Ride, yes the previous platform sport models were overdamped, undersprung, and uncomfortable. The TGNA cars imo have very good ride handling balance.

RE: Transmission, they take about 10 minutes of driving to warm up and not shift weird. After those 10 mins, shifts become much quicker and smoother. I wouldn't call it an issue but the programming is definitely really unrefined. I can see why Mazda stuck with their 6 speed... no long wait for downshift and the 2.5T has a lot of torque.

Toyota could definitely learn a trick or two from BMW, who uses the same Aisin 8 speed in X1/Mini models but have added launch control, anti-lag farts on upshifts, and consistently smooth downshifts on braking/no throttle.

RE: TSS, I've daily'd the RAV4, Corolla, and Camry with AEB set to High on all. Haven't noticed any weird braking triggers despite driving aggressively (unlike FCA and VW systems). Toyota system's steering assist is also weaker since it's a 'reactive' system as opposed to Honda's 'active' system. It's built into the badge only on some older models, but also relies on camera array on windshield for auto high beam and lane departure assist.

Though this one was courtesy of work, if I were spending my own money I'd probably go with XLE/XSE trims to get full speed adaptive cruise, would be really helpful on the bridge lineups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
There's a lot of recalls happening at toyota about their CVT trannies.
RE: Badhobz quote about CVT, yeah there definitely seem to be recalls. At the risk of sounding defensive, despite the large volume of Corolla CVTs running out there, there seem to be more forum posts about the recall than actual failures... recall might be more on the preventative side of things (unlike some of the Nissans ConeZONE works on..)

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 03-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #262
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
New bike. Orange this time. 10x the bike of the Honda.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #263
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,837 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
2019-03-18 by GhstRidr, on Flickr

shop share with my brother @ae86envy. We've been scheming ways to get out of the driveway for years. It's small, but enough room to work on a few at a time.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #264

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Just LMK when I can bring my stuff over
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #265
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Just LMK when I can bring my stuff over

Me too. So I don’t need to:

Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #266

we've got a few homies booked in already. all are welcome by appointment. we love the spot already and don't want to blow it up.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #267
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post

MrPapageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #268
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
RE: Transmission, they take about 10 minutes of driving to warm up and not shift weird. After those 10 mins, shifts become much quicker and smoother. I wouldn't call it an issue but the programming is definitely really unrefined. I can see why Mazda stuck with their 6 speed... no long wait for downshift and the 2.5T has a lot of torque.

Toyota could definitely learn a trick or two from BMW, who uses the same Aisin 8 speed in X1/Mini models but have added launch control, anti-lag farts on upshifts, and consistently smooth downshifts on braking/no throttle.

RE: TSS, I've daily'd the RAV4, Corolla, and Camry with AEB set to High on all. Haven't noticed any weird braking triggers despite driving aggressively (unlike FCA and VW systems). Toyota system's steering assist is also weaker since it's a 'reactive' system as opposed to Honda's 'active' system. It's built into the badge only on some older models, but also relies on camera array on windshield for auto high beam and lane departure assist.
Don't know if it's the same 8spd Aisin for the IS200t/300. Haven't noticed the trans shift jerky when cold as it's always smooth, but there are times when it's super jerky during downshifts. I think the mechanicals itself are fine, but Toyota really needs to get their TCU tuning sorted out, in conjunction with its throttle mapping. It's always super slow to respond to downshifts even when I nail the throttle in sport mode. This is even after JB4 base map as well. It's a stark reminder that the motor/trans is ultimately tuned for maximum efficiency. I'm sure the JB4 pedalbox could help but meh.

I would assume Lexus uses the same/similar version of TSS, but I've found it mostly flawless in the 6mons or so I've had the car. Adaptive cruise is also great. Don't know if TSS is further refined on the Lexus vehicles vs Toyotas. I've never experienced the autobrake function (gf has and saved her once), but collision warning false alarms are few and far between, vs the old Mercedes collision system which was terrible in the B250.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #269
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,580 Times in 1,165 Posts
Failed 68 Times in 23 Posts

artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #270
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 29 Posts
Got new summer wheels. Loving them.

Advan RSII

IG: gilly_automotive

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #271
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Golf course R

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #272

Took both my Italian girls out today.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #273

dug this heap out of storage. 2019 goals - put miles on it.

Untitled by GhstRidr, on Flickr

BONUS PIC - got some OZ Mito's - not really the size I want, but figured for the price I'd try the 18's on the coupe

Untitled by GhstRidr, on Flickr
Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #274

Clown shoe is the clowniest
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #275
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote