REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Scotland/Ireland

Anyone been? Any suggestions? Wife and I are most likely going with my parents for a few weeks this September. Most likely flying into Dublin then doing day trips from there, heading up north and then into Scotland.

No set itinerary yet but may rent a car in both countries and drive into more remote locations
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
My family is from Ireland, been back a few times. From Dublin to Belfast you can take a train and it is the best way to travel. The tips of Ireland seem to be my fav, so either south to Kilkenny or north to Londonderry. The Devil's Causeway is kind of interesting to see. They drive pretty fast over there and the roads aren't always that great - they are narrow, winding, and up and over little hills non stop. Both Belfast and Dublin are nice towns to see, you can walk almost anywhere but I find taking one of the tour busses that lets you get on/off anywhere and anytime you like is worth the $14 for the day.

You can take a ferry over from Belfast to Scotland, but it is expensive and the ferries can get delayed often due to bad weather. It would let you rent a car though in only one country and take it over. I've never been to Scotland, can't help you there.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,098 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
You better golf in Scotland.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
I haven't been to either but I've done some extensive research on it as I want to go in the near future:

Ireland:
If you've seen a ton of Europe already Dublin won't be anything special so spend a couple of days there and get out to the countryside:
Killkenney
Waterford
Ring of Kerry/Dingle
Skellig Michael (Where Luke was in Last Jedi)
Cliffs of Moher
Galway
Belfast/Giant's Causeway

Scotland:
Edinburgh - supposed to be great
Glasgow - less great but supposed to be more "real" ie. less touristy
Glen Coe - see where 007 stopped in Skyfall
Isle of Skye
Inverness (Highlands)

Let me know how it goes and post pics if you do go!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
My family is from Ireland, been back a few times. From Dublin to Belfast you can take a train and it is the best way to travel. The tips of Ireland seem to be my fav, so either south to Kilkenny or north to Londonderry. The Devil's Causeway is kind of interesting to see. They drive pretty fast over there and the roads aren't always that great - they are narrow, winding, and up and over little hills non stop. Both Belfast and Dublin are nice towns to see, you can walk almost anywhere but I find taking one of the tour busses that lets you get on/off anywhere and anytime you like is worth the $14 for the day.

You can take a ferry over from Belfast to Scotland, but it is expensive and the ferries can get delayed often due to bad weather. It would let you rent a car though in only one country and take it over. I've never been to Scotland, can't help you there.
Yea my parents arent much for slow transfers between countries so they may fly from Belfast to Scottland but im leaning towards checking out a ferry service
Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea my parents arent much for slow transfers between countries so they may fly from Belfast to Scottland but im leaning towards checking out a ferry service
It's 21 miles between the Islands, the same as taking BC Ferries over to Nanaimo. A flight from Belfast to Heathrow is 45 minutes air time, plus then airport time.

https://www.stenaline.co.uk/routes/c...-belfast/fares
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Drive around norther Scotland, beautiful.

Glasgow is cool but not really much to see major history wise (too bad you're not going in August as the World Pipe Band championships area held there mid Aug), definitely try to find a local highland games to check out but there may not be any as the season should wrap up for the Worlds.

Sterling, Edinburgh, Oban, Isle of Skye etc
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: