REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
EVs need to at least match the average fuel tank range ~500-600km for me to consider them

you need to think when the battery is 6-8 years old, and the temp is below freezing, and the traffic is crawling, let's say you forgot to charge overnight and there's only 28% left, yeah you can probably make it to work and back...but i would hate that anxiety

surely there will be extended booster battery packs coming like carrying around a spare battery...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I have friends that pre-plan everywhere they go and select restaurants to go eat out based on whether it's close enough to a charging station, lol.
your friends don't own the car, the car owns them
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
My model 3 has a range of 500 km and I just charge at home. I've owned it since the end of August and i've only not charged at home once. If you get an EV with a decent range, you don't really need an extensive urban charging network for people who drive under 200-300 km a day.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 PM   #28
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
It's like driving a desk!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:56 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Personally I wouldn’t even consider an EV that didn’t get at least 600km. 1000 would be ideal. It’s not so much in day to day use, it’s the 6-10 trips a year where I don’t want to stop 3 times for half an hour to charge.

A few people at work have Model X’s and they park them on the street. They use those like rubber car ramps to conceal the cable over the sidewalk when charging..kinda ghetto

Anyone interested in an EV should be doing research regarding chargers. Because my understanding is that only Tesla’s can use the “supercharger”? Where as Tesla’s can use any charger with the adapter?
Most family's have more than one car. So one smaller EV for daily and another bugger car for road trips. With the money your saving on fuel you could just rent a car for long road trips.

The EV Cannonball record is 50 hours, 16 minutes, 32 seconds. That's from California to New York.

http://thedrive.com/new-cars/17312/t...urs-16-minutes
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
I'm in the market for a compact SUV/wagon right now and really wish there was a nice EV in that size that is less than $50K - there's the Niro which is too small and then the Audi eTron which is in the $90K range. Charging will probably be a PITA as I can't park in my garage but I have nearly zero trips per year where I need more than 300-400km of range.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #31
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Correct, only Tesla can use their superchargers however there are DC fast chargers around town which is pretty quick but those are paid rather than free like regular chargers.
Most DC fast chargers are free. Only one that you need to pay for is the PNE Empire field one.
The Superstore on Grandview hwy is free and so are the 2 at BCIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
EV is great and all, but I don't find EV charging readily available enough yet at this point, and it still takes extra effort to make sure you can find a spot to charge up.

I park on the street at home so I don't have a convenient way to charge up.

Gas is expensive and all, although I've personally never considered it too expensive to the point I would rather drive EV to cut costs. I have no issue with the range, but I just don't want to worry about not being able to find places to charge up when I need to. Not really practical for my lifestyle. I have friends that pre-plan everywhere they go and select restaurants to go eat out based on whether it's close enough to a charging station, lol.
Pretty sure they aren't telling you the whole story.
I've had my leaf since August, and in the beginning, had the dreaded range anxiety but now, it's not a big thing. I know how far I can go with the charge left in my batteries. I know where all the chargers are and have adjusted my lifestyle a tad to live with the EV.
I park in a parkade with no access to an outlet so my only charging comes from public chargers. 20 mins at the SC fast chargers is more than enough charge per day. Let it charge for 30 mins and I get 2 days commuting to work.
From 9% battery, 45 mins gets me up to 80% at the fast chargers.

Lvl 2 chargers take longer, but again it's not that bad.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #33
I STILL don't get it

Failed 55 Times in 13 Posts
I really think the city and some engineers should develop a charging station that is installed underground (to save on space) and be a combined parking meter. Start converting parking meters all over the city (at least a few on every block) and charge for a charge and parking at the same time. Cars get charged, access is everywhere, people get motivated to buy ev's and the city makes money.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
I really think the city and some engineers should develop a charging station that is installed underground (to save on space) and be a combined parking meter. Start converting parking meters all over the city (at least a few on every block) and charge for a charge and parking at the same time. Cars get charged, access is everywhere, people get motivated to buy ev's and the city makes money.
Watch them do that and then some guy cuts off the cable and tries to sell the copper wiring.

On a serious note, dunno if the city's electrical network can handle the load when EV cars are more common.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #35
I STILL don't get it

Failed 55 Times in 13 Posts
I'm sure they would fall in line and figure it out. The entire world will have to figure solutions like that out for EV's to really work for the masses.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #36
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Having to spend 20 minutes parked somewhere every 2nd day just to commute to work sounds like a big headache. I know it’s only 20 minutes but still..
Old 02-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #37
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,469 Times in 2,027 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Having to spend 20 minutes parked somewhere every 2nd day just to commute to work sounds like a big headache. I know it’s only 20 minutes but still..
That's valuable poop time for me.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Am I the only person who isnt a fan of the modern PRND shifter?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #39
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,535 Times in 575 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post

Literally the same thing. This guy's living in 3008 while we're living in 2000-late
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023 (sold)

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT) (sold)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020 (sold)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #40
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
And how much do you spend in fuel every week?
Old 03-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #41

Quote:
I won't lie, but not everyone is the same. I work within 5 mins of a DC fast charger and start early which means I get to hang out in my car and chill while having lunch and charge my car at the same time.

Plus, I can always park and go into Superstore and do my grocery shopping while the car charges.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
And how much do you spend in fuel every week?
$25
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Pretty sure they aren't telling you the whole story.
I've had my leaf since August, and in the beginning, had the dreaded range anxiety but now, it's not a big thing. I know how far I can go with the charge left in my batteries. I know where all the chargers are and have adjusted my lifestyle a tad to live with the EV.
I park in a parkade with no access to an outlet so my only charging comes from public chargers. 20 mins at the SC fast chargers is more than enough charge per day. Let it charge for 30 mins and I get 2 days commuting to work.
From 9% battery, 45 mins gets me up to 80% at the fast chargers.

Lvl 2 chargers take longer, but again it's not that bad.
They are very happy with it. My friend doesn't just love it, he promotes it to everyone. lol
If people really want it, they will adapt. It's just a matter of whether it works for your lifestyle or not. I don't really do much short "errand" trips often, so I would rely heavily on home charging, but I don't park my car in a garage, lol. I thought about going EV for my wife's car a couple years back, but decided not to pull the trigger on it yet. I didn't like the cars available and figured we can wait until more chargers become more of a norm.

Probably one day, but not yet.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-02-2019 at 12:30 AM.
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote