REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
94 Supra sells for $174k US

https://jalopnik.com/somebody-just-p...ota-1833178258

Quote:
I don’t have the energy to be incredulous anymore, fam. But if I did, I’d be wide-eye head-shaking all over the place after hearing that a 1994 Toyota Supra sold for an ungodly sum of $173,600 at this weekend’s Amelia Island car auction.

At first I wasn’t sure if that outrageous sale price was real; I saw it reported on one Instagram page and nowhere else. But Sotheby’s director of public relations has confirmed to me that, indeed, this 1994 Toyota Supra turbo targa manual with black paint and a tan interior, and 11,200 miles on its odometer, sold Friday for $173,600 including a buyer’s premium.

Wow.

Seems like just a couple months ago we were freaking out over one selling for a record-setting $121,000. Oh wait, that did also happen. And that record’s now been smashed.

Still remember watching Barret Jackson and the hosts saying Japanese cars are never really going to go up in value. Boy where they wrong.
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
wonder why LHD RX-7 and NSX hasn't seen the astronomical prices as much as the Mk IV Supra is enjoying

i mean RX-7 is not known to be ultra-reliable, and i guess NSX didn't really see the Fast and the Furious screen time?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 10 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
wonder why LHD RX-7 and NSX hasn't seen the astronomical prices as much as the Mk IV Supra is enjoying

i mean RX-7 is not known to be ultra-reliable, and i guess NSX didn't really see the Fast and the Furious screen time?
The f&f screen time definitely helped, as well as youtube.

Not that someone buying a low mileage collector car plans on building it into a monster but the supra has become a legend that very few cars ever become.

Only my opinion, but the new "supra" is such a cluster fuck of a fail the value on the mk4 is just gonna inflate even more for years to come, with the lower mileage unmolested examples seeing the biggest rise.

I dont know any other car from the 90's that can still roll into a 1/2 mile event or something and make the UGR gallardo and alpha GTR guys extremely nervous.
The R34 GTR had the potential but since it never made it to north america it never got the same amount of after market support the supra got.
Japanese tuning companies were one thing, but the Americans went crazy with these cars when they got their hands on them, power house racing, titan motorsports, boost logic etc etc.
The TX2K events were actually supra only events until UGR started pumping out TT gallardos and the like to keep up, the event became alot more popular and opened up to every platform.

Ive had multiple mk4's since 2004 and ive personally noticed the car gets alot more attention today than when I had my first one in 2004, nobody unless they were a car guy really knew what it was back then. Now adays it seems like everyone, every age and every demographic knows what it is.

Its never a dull day when i take her out lol.

Last edited by JSS; 03-10-2019 at 09:14 AM.
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
MK IV Supra has a relative timeless design. The curvy lines flow really well.

Add some modern aftermarket headlights (plenty to choose from, or even just retrofitting OEM ones) and a nice set of wheels, it still looks great.

And if you have the dough to add some body kits (quite a few really sick ones out there) and it's on par if not better looking than modern sport cars. Not to mention the infinite potential on power mods. With a few grands invested, you can have 500+ HP and smoke 99.9% of cars out there.

All this bring us to the question... WTF was Toyota thinking with current gen Supra?!?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
All this bring us to the question... WTF was Toyota thinking with current gen Supra?!?
even if they kept it looking exactly the same, they could have done a 3jz with direct injecroom and call it a day... but even then some could argue that’s what the n55 is anyways
Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
JSS im surprised your reflection didnt show your shit eating grin
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 10 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
JSS im surprised your reflection didnt show your shit eating grin
Not even remotely grinning. The attention was fun when i was 19, im 32 now... I don't like getting trapped in a 20 minute conversation and getting asked to open the hood when I'm trying to go about my day so I was waiting inside for those guys to leave. Just thought it made for a funny picture.
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
What were yah doing at key west? Ordering something fun?