REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 49 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Their gun doesn't say "JAMMER ALERT". No cop is going to pull you over because it took 3 secs to get a speed read instead of 2.
Are familiar with how the jammers work?
We'll it depends. If a police officer suspects there may be an issue picking up a read as you are seen slowing down, it just makes it more suspicious.

Like underscore said, an officer can pull you over by just your visual speed. All they need to be able to say is that you were going at least 1km over the limit based on their expertise. Then they can further investigate their suspicion and/or still write you that ticket.

But what would I know, I am not a cop
Advertisement
forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,841 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Well, the fact that not a single case of this happening is as much proof as we're going to get that the above scenario does not happen. Tons of people run these, just look at the bumpers of all the high end cars @ Spanish banks.

And again, it's not illegal to own. So just because you get pulled over because they cop thinks you went 1km over, it's not illegal to have 1000 sensors sitting in your lap.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Well, the fact that not a single case of this happening is as much proof as we're going to get that the above scenario does not happen. Tons of people run these, just look at the bumpers of all the high end cars @ Spanish banks.

And again, it's not illegal to own. So just because you get pulled over because they cop thinks you went 1km over, it's not illegal to have 1000 sensors sitting in your lap.
Hasn't happened locally, but given the current climate with VPD, I'd rather play safe.

In the UK, there are people who got sentenced to jail with a jammer. Speed cameras(which thankfully we don't have) pick up the error and the officers investigate the case. The charge they used is also similarly in line with the obstruction of police work, so I don't see how that couldn't happen here in theory.

And yes, if police thinks you are speeding a lot, that's still reason enough to stop you, as underscore said. Even an untrained eye can tell a car is doing 80 in 50 zone.

The parking sensor argument IMO is the sellers trying to sell these to you. I don't think this argument would work all that well when you actually face a police. Yes, a knife is not illegal to own, and you can argue that you were only using it to cut a cake, but it's gonna look more than suspicious if you walk around with one in hand when a police officer is in front of you.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,723 Times in 1,589 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Their gun doesn't say "JAMMER ALERT". No cop is going to pull you over because it took 3 secs to get a speed read instead of 2.
Are familiar with how the jammers work?

Actually, their gun does say that. I confirmed this with a cop friend this morning LOL. He said he usually gives people a few seconds to slow down before clocking them. But if they have a jammer, he's allowed to seize the vehicle for evidence, get a search warrant, and if he really wanted to, he could file for civil forfeiture.
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,841 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Actually, their gun does say that. .
No, it doesn't. I've literally held the guns and clocked cars with jammers with it. Prolaser 3, Dragon eyes etc. There is no Jammer message.

When you pull the trigger 4 lines come up where a speed reading would come up when the speed is aquired. When you point it at a tree and pull the trigger, you get 4 lines. When you pull the trigger on a jammer it comes up with 4 lines. The same thing happens when the car is far away and you don't get the little red box on the car, you get 4 lines. There is not "JAMMER ALERT" message. It looks exactly like pulling the trigger and not getting the target right on the car the first time.

This is what I saw at least.

Last edited by trollface; 06-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Damn.. just how fast are some of you guys planning to go?

Even with one of these detectors, I would be constantly second guessing if they even work efficiently 10/10 times, or just providing me with a false sense of security to speed as fast as I want.

IMO, if you feel you're going that fast that you think you need one, the cops wouldn't need a radar to know you're excessively speeding. Sounds like people who need this want to make the public streets into a track.

I get it, people want to go for a spirited drive. But it sounds like people who want these think it's so that it can magically enable them to go balls to the wall with immunity.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts
What ya'll recommend for strictly highway, open prairie, use? Already have a 9500ix and wondering if there isn't anything newer that has better range.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Damn.. just how fast are some of you guys planning to go?

Even with one of these detectors, I would be constantly second guessing if they even work efficiently 10/10 times, or just providing me with a false sense of security to speed as fast as I want.

IMO, if you feel you're going that fast that you think you need one, the cops wouldn't need a radar to know you're excessively speeding. Sounds like people who need this want to make the public streets into a track.

I get it, people want to go for a spirited drive. But it sounds like people who want these think it's so that it can magically enable them to go balls to the wall with immunity.
This.

People need to realize that even with a detector/jammer, it doesn't mean you can do whatever the F you want.

I get that the speed limit in BC is generally set too low, but if you are the one flying past everyone, you have problems.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote