REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #201
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 49 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Apologies ahead of time for the vertical video, but a relative of ours may be trading in their 2011 E93 335i as it started making a weird sound in the engine bay. The dealer SA couldn't determine the issue without additional diagnostic charges but had told them that 3 temp sensors aren't getting any readings. I don't know anything about these cars but I would think that this sound and the sensors are separate issues? We may take the car off their hands if it isn't a serious issue; my E36M ownership has been pleasant so far so the thought of another BMW doesn't scare me quiet yet. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this sound? I'm thinking belts or pulleys? The water pump was changed recently for about $2k, I'm assuming thermostat(s) were also done but I haven't seen the invoice.

https://youtu.be/1yHcOk-3qr0
What Civic said.

Also this car looks like it is 10 seconds away from the serpentine belt coming off given the huge amount of oil leaking and possibly being sucked into the engine. This car should be taken off the road before more damage is caused.

I know you also mentioned you are not afraid of owning a BMW, but if you have to ask, chances are you dont realize the the noise may be the least of your concerns on this car...

A shop/ dealership, will charge you around 4-20k to fix the entire mess the right way.

Try this water bottle method, spray some water on the pulley to see, if the squeak/chrip goes away and get back to us. You don't need to remove any plastics or parts, you should see the exposed pulley from the driver's side of the engine bay.

Advertisement

Last edited by forcedot; 10-02-2021 at 09:35 PM.
forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #202
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,579 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Melbourne Red 2011 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Not a good buy, damn this colour. Defs rare.

Red looks better on the E46 M3 tho
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #203
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Thats a good buy. People are asking 60s for similar cars. I'd much rather have an e90 though, and Manuel. But I'm not buying. Someone with an interlagos e90 6 speed might be able to get the e30 out of my hands though.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Thats a good buy. People are asking 60s for similar cars. I'd much rather have an e90 though, and Manuel. But I'm not buying. Someone with an interlagos e90 6 speed might be able to get the e30 out of my hands though.
It's a good buy for today's COVID/chip shortage standards. Last year August, a RS member here picked up an Jerez Black E90 M3 in 6MT with 90K km for under 30k.

IB E90 6MT is on my list too. Don't think I'll ever get one tho, not for the prices they're going for now. And I only want 2011+.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #205
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
That melbourne red car has the rare M cloth insert on the seats...... so hot in person imo.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #206

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Would be perfect if it were non-iDrive, the ideal stripper spec.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #207
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedot View Post
What Civic said.

Also this car looks like it is 10 seconds away from the serpentine belt coming off given the huge amount of oil leaking and possibly being sucked into the engine. This car should be taken off the road before more damage is caused.

I know you also mentioned you are not afraid of owning a BMW, but if you have to ask, chances are you dont realize the the noise may be the least of your concerns on this car...

A shop/ dealership, will charge you around 4-20k to fix the entire mess the right way.

Try this water bottle method, spray some water on the pulley to see, if the squeak/chrip goes away and get back to us. You don't need to remove any plastics or parts, you should see the exposed pulley from the driver's side of the engine bay.

https://youtu.be/AEUe6uKxTv8?t=137
Dealer offered almost $20k for the trade-in. Guess they didn't notice any of the issues under the hood, lol.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #208
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Dealer offered almost $20k for the trade-in. Guess they didn't notice any of the issues under the hood, lol.
Wow 20k? That's really good for trade in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #209
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Wow 20k? That's really good for trade in.
Trade-in value for the car according to Canadian Black Book is between $18-20k. The car was a 2011 335i Cab M-Sport, black on red, US import, with 85k KM.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #210
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 25 Times in 5 Posts
got the worse possible experience with brian jessel BMW preowned sales department.

promised you bunch of craps over the phone just to get you to step in to their showroom then suddenly everything is off the table, wasted much of my time.

anyone else in the same boat?
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #211

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Depends what you mean from off the table but sounds like typical stealership
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #212
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Here's my story with no details guys, anyone else experience the same?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2021, 12:51 AM   #213

Lots of good people I worked with moved on from there…

But do elaborate. I’m intrigued.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #214
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 35 Times in 5 Posts
spill the beans !!
dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #215

aight guys here goes the long story

I had a financed 2020 330i looking for an early return since I don't drive it enough. I kept it as long as I could due to the low rate (0.24%)

So I was calling around the BMW dealerships that are close to me to see if there's any interest.

Given the car was uninsured sitting in the garage. I wasn't really interested putting a plate on it and drive it to dealership unless there is a good offer on the table to begin with.

Phoned Autowest and BJ, sales from both side ran some numbers and told me it's doable likely without any penalty but they still need to talk to their managers, I get it ,fine, no rush, just give me a shout back.

Autowest called me back a day later, it was the manager calling me directly. we chatted for about 30 mins, on the value of the car, the market generally etc. It was agreed upon that I would get a cashback on top and he DID NOT need to see the car, he took my words for it that when I said my car is still in excellent condition, which it is. I thanked him for his phone call, and told him I would confirm with him tomorrow as I'll see what BJ would do.

Phoned back the sales guy from BJ, he told me he needs to see the car in order to give me a number, then kept asking me when I can bring the car in. I told him the situation about the car being uninsured, I would much rather have some sort of an agreement before I go get my ICBC day pass and drive it all the way there. He said he understood but his manager said that they still need to see the car. HE THEN SAID " We will beat whatever Autowest offered you", so when can you bring your car in? how about tomorrow?

I asked the sales, you don't even know how much Autowest offered me. He hesitated a bit then asked me how much it was. Fine, I spilled the beans, but I told him specifically that I need a confirmation that you guys are fine with the numbers. He said sure, no problem. I started to having doubts, so I said, can you just go ask your manager and make sure he knows what we are on numbers-wise. He said sure, he will ask and call me back. As soon as I hung up, he called me back within 1 second, said great news, manager was actually beside him and he said it's fine, we will beat what Autowest offered you, so when can you bring your car in? how about tomorrow?

I gave in with some suspicions, thinking ok, if I can get more money from BJ, why not, I'll put some time driving it over there and pay a ICBC day pass.
The next day, took off work early and spent an hr going to BJ due to typical Vancouver traffic in the afternoon.
Arrived at BJ, sales guy came out to see me, opened the door for me which was nice. As I sat in the sales desk, I overheard the convo between the sales guy and his manager in the background. Manager said " He is playing games with us, we are not giving him more than what Autowest offered him, where is the guy? you go tell him that".
the sales guy came back, gave me some bs and how his manager fucked him. I stood up, gave him the finger and told him this is exactly what I was trying to avoid getting all my shit ready for nothing, and I left. I wasn't ready to make a drama as I know it's pointless, I won't be able to get a free happy meal coupon out of it anyways.

I was in and out in about 5 mins @ BJ, they didn't even see the car, I basically wasted getting my ICBC day pass and wasted taking early leave at work.

Funny thing was, the manager at Autowest warned me that this would happen lol, he said he had a lot of customers who dealt with BJ but never got what they were promised, and I had the first hand experience myself.

Props to Autowest though, the manager and sales were all great, offered to come to pick up the car with D plate so I don't need to waste money on the ICBC day pass. We ended up giving them our business by traded in our X3 as well and picked up an X5 from them. Autowest is up front with every detail during our trade ins and purchase, genuine and pleasant to deal with.

// end

Last edited by Jonydakiller; 10-29-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #216
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 112 Posts
long story short - BJ tried to bait and switch you. Autowest came through on their word. Thanks.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #217

damn. somebody fucked up royal.

How far do you live anyways, its not hard to step out to check out / appraise someones car.... especially if its an on warranty bmw.

smh.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #218
I STILL don't get it

Failed 55 Times in 13 Posts
Pre-owned or new building? Who was the salesperson?
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #219
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Name and shame. Give us the names.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #220

Lol Im not here to cause drama for BJ or their pos sales.
Just sharing my experience with fellow BMW enthusiasts.
I dealt with Parkshore and Langley for all my BMWs previously, but I gotta say Autowest preowned division is probably one of the best to deal with for sure.
I had a great experience in Langley but the sales left for Porsche Vancouver right after I got my 3 series. Last name Kong, Korean dude, maybe someone on here knows him personally
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #221
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Are bmw cooling issues with plastic parts still a thing or has somebody come up with aluminum replacements?
Old 10-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #222
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 90 Times in 16 Posts
BJ diagnosed my right rear wheel bearing as a bad diff. SMH. Luckily I had a gut feeling they were wrong. I told them all the symptoms and they still said diff.
I didn’t listen to them and changed out the wheel bearing myself and that solved the issue. Car was making a clunking sound and seemed more common when turning left IIRC. This was years ago.
The car was a 2007 BMW X5. After this incident I will never go back to them for service.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #223
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Are bmw cooling issues with plastic parts still a thing or has somebody come up with aluminum replacements?
Most of the aluminum parts are worse.
Change the plastic pieces and you're good for 100k more.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Most of the aluminum parts are worse.

Change the plastic pieces and you're good for 100k more.
100% this. There's a Mishimoto aluminum set up on my M3, and I'd go back to OEM in a heartbeat. It's caused me more issues than I know I wouldn't have with plastic.

I did an OEM refresh on the 330 when I first got it. It was solid throughout super hot days and track days. No hiccup.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #225
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
How does an Alum rad cause issues? It's a rad right, it either leaks or it doesn't?

What am I missing here?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote