REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
sorry to threadjack, have questions pertinent to finessing 3rd pedal

1. when do you actually blip throttle on downshift assuming car has no rev hang? as youre shifting? as youre releasing clutch? after shifting but before clutch release? i know it's kinda all one motion once you get good at it but youtube videos dont break it down well for someone learning

2. riding the clutch reversing is still bad or nbd since it's at low speeds? if i release clutch fully my car moves too quickly

3. spirited driving; i dont wanna just dump the clutch, but is releasing clutch slowly 3rd gear and lower is still bad?
1). You. Blip the throttle to make the engine Rev so that when you downshift, the RPM of the engine will match the speed of the vehicle in your future gear. Thus you would clutch in, blip, switch gear (should slide in easy) and at this time
If done correctly everything (RPM, speed, gear) should match and releasing the clutch should be quick and smooth.

2) you may have to use the clutch for speed control. Any time the clutch is not in or out, it is putting wee on the clutch. Reduce this by keeping your RPMs lower.

3) not sure what your trying to say.
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon318 View Post
What's rev hang?
Go drive a newer Honda and you will know.

Basically, the car will hold the RPM for half a second or maybe a second even after you push in the clutch, instead of dropping as soon as you push in the clutch.

It's one of those emission nonsense, and at least with Honda cars, can be removed by a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
sorry to threadjack, have questions pertinent to finessing 3rd pedal

1. when do you actually blip throttle on downshift assuming car has no rev hang? as youre shifting? as youre releasing clutch? after shifting but before clutch release? i know it's kinda all one motion once you get good at it but youtube videos dont break it down well for someone learning

2. riding the clutch reversing is still bad or nbd since it's at low speeds? if i release clutch fully my car moves too quickly

3. spirited driving; i dont wanna just dump the clutch, but is releasing clutch slowly 3rd gear and lower is still bad?
1. You can do it hud's way. I personally put the car in the desired gear before blipping, but that doesn't matter.

2. Reversing the car usually requires riding the clutch, yes. Just keeping your RPM low and you will be fine. I usually get the car to engagement point, give a little bit of gas, then push in the clutch and use inertia to keep me moving. When backing up a slope, then yeah you need to ride it almost constantly.

3. Don't worry about clutch life unless you are doing something terribly wrong. My RX-8 has almost 110k km on it now and is still on the original clutch AFAIK. It will probably last longer than the engine, LOL.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
what's the average clutch expectancy? i thought it's 200k easy
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,652 Times in 569 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Changed mine at 390,000 and it still had life on it.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote