REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Advertisement
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
^ that looks easy as hell.
what was this bs if you're working on your breaking system you would need to bleed the system too or you're getting a mushy break peddle that was my only concern cause you pretty much need two people or rely on those shitty plastic kits that don't work.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 AM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,535 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Or buy those speed nipples. Basically a one way valve instead of the bleed port bolt.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #29
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post

is it acceptable practice to bring my own parts to a dealership shop? I'll have to call them tomorrow to see if they are willing to do it and how much labor would be.
Chances are slim to none a dealership will install outside parts, especially on a critical system.
1. Liability
2. Profit
Think, bringing your own steak to a restaurant and asking them to cook it.

I just looked at the rear system on your car. Are you sure the (internal) park brake shoes still have meat left on them? Just something to consider.

Also, did you try what I suggested with the cooling fans turning on? If they still stay on after that, it could be a temp switch or control module.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
iono, i've installed customer supplied parts before. in fact, same job (but i don't remember if it was on an Altima or a G). Maybe it depends which dealer you go to?
Also in cases of parts that are NLA, they really have no choice but to start calling local parts stores...
For a 10 year old car that's out of warranty, you'd be wasting some amount of money sourcing these kinds of parts from the dealer lol.

^ it'd be a very good idea to inspect the e-brake shoes, but i'd guess they still be about 2.5 mm lol
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
My mechanic (who I 100% trust and is the best mechanic I’ve ever dealt with) says he only installs OEM pads.

Said generally even the performance pads from lordco etc are shit and he said typically the OEM replacements are cheaper than generic brand low-mid end pads anyways. He said the main issue with aftermarket OeM replacement is squeeling and life-span
Old 11-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
My mechanic (who I 100% trust and is the best mechanic I’ve ever dealt with) says he only installs OEM pads.

Said generally even the performance pads from lordco etc are shit and he said typically the OEM replacements are cheaper than generic brand low-mid end pads anyways. He said the main issue with aftermarket OeM replacement is squeeling and life-span
That's a good point.
Also if you're looking for OEM equivalent for a possibly better price point, go with Akebono or Nissin. They are the manufacturers of the OEM pads
For a Nissan, i would stay away from the "Nissan Value Advantage" pads. They are literally re-packaged Lordco/Napa/Dorman/whatever shit pads, and be ready to experience the above quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #33

Thanked 4,723 Times in 1,589 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Here's a good brakedown.

|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 11-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #34
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 59 Times in 24 Posts
Brake jobs just take a lot of cussing. But having the right tools can make a difference.

The price you pay a mechanic/dealer may sound like a lot, but you either do your own work, or give it to someone else.

and goddamn. Brakes and Breaks are not interchangable.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 397 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Chances are slim to none a dealership will install outside parts, especially on a critical system.
1. Liability
2. Profit
Think, bringing your own steak to a restaurant and asking them to cook it.

I just looked at the rear system on your car. Are you sure the (internal) park brake shoes still have meat left on them? Just something to consider.

Also, did you try what I suggested with the cooling fans turning on? If they still stay on after that, it could be a temp switch or control module.
the fans are pretty much spinning on max and it kinda fluctuates from 80-100% speed. Yeah I tried turning the ac on/off, outside/inside circulation, etc. ( i know what you mean though, before this became a constant problem, ive heard the rad fan on high before and turning off the full max ac deforst usually turned off the rad fan as well) I think from a brief google, someone had the same problem and turned out to be the fan control module.

i don't know anything about internal park brake shoes but I just watched Ilovebacon's video.

From that video it seems like the problem would be the piston being stuck or the guide pin? since the dealer told me that the brake is constantly in contact with the rotor therefore at 0.1mm. Why would the dealer recommend changing the rotors too though? I guess they are tackling the issue from two points but the cause could be either warped rotors or fucked up calipers? should I try only changing the pads and rotors first like in the video?
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
i was nervous the first time diy it as it's a critical safety component vs blowing a motor but still be alive and not crash and burn if something does goes wrong

it's as straight forward as the video...you might stumble upon some rust/seized bolts but the learning/reward is worth the elbow grease...you'll likely need a special tool for the rear caliber piston. all in all i prefer it over an oil change/climbing under the car because you're not bent over in the engine bay/working with super tight spaces

never drove around with parking brake engaged so didn't have to worry about that, haven't had to change shims, no squeaks thereafter...yes i would change out the rotors on an 10 year old vehicle...hope not too much brembo tax

if you want the peace of mind and dont want to 'work' on a day off, by all means just pay a shop
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #37

Since the parking and rear brakes are independent systems, it's probably the sliders or the piston. They want to change the rotors because they're probably heat checked/cracked/too thin to machine. Generally, you don't want to install new pads to a rotor that been worn in by the old pads. New/machined rotors will run true and have a fresh surface for the new pads to bed.

Not sure why all the DIY vids don't clean the mounts, where the new hardware is installed. More often than not, the cast steel starts to scale and the hardware fits too tight and doesn't allow the pads to slide freely. Also, it doesn't hurt to make sure the sliders move freely and add some extra lube. I also hate seeing people take their wheels off for one reason or another and not bother to wire brush the hub centre, where the wheel sits. An extra 10minutes and thin coat of anti-seize, ensures your wheels are seated properly.

What did the dealer say about installing customer supplied parts?

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 11-15-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #38

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...opped-out.html

RSUV #7
Old 11-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Since the parking and rear brakes are independent systems, it's probably the sliders or the piston. They want to change the rotors because they're probably heat checked/cracked/too thin to machine. Generally, you don't want to install new pads to a rotor that been worn in by the old pads. New/machined rotors will run true and have a fresh surface for the new pads to bed.

Not sure why all the DIY vids don't clean the mounts, where the new hardware is installed. More often than not, the cast steel starts to scale and the hardware fits too tight and doesn't allow the pads to slide freely. Also, it doesn't hurt to make sure the sliders move freely and add some extra lube. I also hate seeing people take their wheels off for one reason or another and not bother to wire brush the hub centre, where the wheel sits. An extra 10minutes and thin coat of anti-seize, ensures your wheels are seated properly.

What did the dealer say about installing customer supplied parts?
Finally got off work early enough to call the dealer and they said I can bring my own parts. The ~1100 quote turned out to be 360~ for labor and 760~ for parts. So I'll save about $300 on parts if I order it myself. But the 360labor is for replacing rear right brake and only servicing the left brake so if i get them to replace both side, might cost ~1000 in the end.

Now the question is, if i buy thisdo I still need to order the caliper bracket, bushings, guide pin, piston? Looks like pistons are part of the assembly as you mentioned earlier but still not sure about the other parts or if its even required to replace.

Also thinking about just ordering an engine cooling fan module for $50 and asking them to replace it instead of paying $150 for them to diagnose the problem. A worthy gamble?
Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,841 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Kits like that usually come with the new rubber brushings, but you have to reuse your pins/bolts.

I would also recommend you get a discount cash account code from Lordco and cross shop. I notice sometimes Rock Auto and Lordco prices very are similar. That way you can buy everything and return whatever the shop says you don't need. Pm me and I'll give you a lordco acct.

Last edited by trollface; 11-19-2019 at 05:34 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #41

Since the sliders go between the caliper and mount, I'd say that kit has everything you need.

If the labour quote is only for the right, my guess is, it'd be closer to $600 to do both sides and bleed them.

Definitely check local prices as well. Nothing beats brick and mortar if the price is close. Online returns, suck.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Revscene has an account with lordco for a discount.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Kits like that usually come with the new rubber brushings, but you have to reuse your pins/bolts.

I would also recommend you get a discount cash account code from Lordco and cross shop. I notice sometimes Rock Auto and Lordco prices very are similar. That way you can buy everything and return whatever the shop says you don't need. Pm me and I'll give you a lordco acct.
Quote:
Since the sliders go between the caliper and mount, I'd say that kit has everything you need.

If the labour quote is only for the right, my guess is, it'd be closer to $600 to do both sides and bleed them.

Definitely check local prices as well. Nothing beats brick and mortar if the price is close. Online returns, suck.
ty for the tip trollface

Yeah local is better, does lordco have an online catalogue? (cant seem to find it) or do i have to call in ask/go to the store. seems the revscene account is #338593 did a quick google.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #44
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,059 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
I gave up on local parts stores. They always quote me way higher prices for shittier quality parts. I've saved so much buying stuff online even if I have to pay for express shipping or eat the cost of ordering the wrong thing I'm still ahead.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #45

In OP's case it's worth checking just cause all available parts are reman'd, so there's extra cost involved in shipping the cores back.

My local supplier is on par with online pricing about 30% of the time, plus tax. Otherwise, most of my parts are bought, online.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #46
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,417 Times in 489 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
In OP's case it's worth checking just cause all available parts are reman'd, so there's extra cost involved in shipping the cores back.

My local supplier is on par with online pricing about 30% of the time, plus tax. Otherwise, most of my parts are bought, online.
Which vendors charged you money for core returns?

RockAuto's core returns were free for me from Ontario > NY warehouse

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #47

Orly? Didn't know. I was going based on this:

RSUV #7
Old 11-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #48

Quote:

I believe the parts they sell are new and shipping the core is pretty much a rebate.

Shipping is around $100 so Id assume shipping the Core back is going to be same in which case it is not worth it to send back. Might use a post box in US though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rauto.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #49
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,417 Times in 489 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Orly? Didn't know. I was going based on this:
Ah true, my bad - I recall what happened now.

I was issued a free label for core return + parts return due to a messup on their side.

Yes, core returns require money

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 11-20-2019 at 07:24 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #50

Thanked 4,723 Times in 1,589 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
I believe the parts they sell are new and shipping the core is pretty much a rebate.

Shipping is around $100 so Id assume shipping the Core back is going to be same in which case it is not worth it to send back. Might use a post box in US though.
I sent back an alternator, from US PO, the core back netted me $7 LOL. Not worth.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: