REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Any Plumbers? (Aquatherm vs. Uponor)

my building is looking into re-piping and the strata people are considering Aquatherm vs. Uponor. We will have to vote on one of these. Any idea which is better?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
How long you going to be there? And what's the cost difference? For reliability, I'd take the PEX.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
From a quick search, aren't they both PEX? Just different brand.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
From a quick search, aren't they both PEX? Just different brand.
both are PEX.
will be here for a while.

Uponor has 25yr warranty - 4mil (it'll be pex + stainless steel)

Aquatherm is 10yr warranty - 3mil (it'll all be pex)

looking for opinions on which way to vote given 1mil diff.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Not a plumber but we do use Uponor at some of our off campus buildings at work. No complaints, good support when we need to replace parts (e.g. actuators for multizone in-floor heating system). No experience with Aquatherm.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,019 Times in 783 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Given the significant price difference and the likelihood that you won't live there past the 10 year warranty period, I would personally opt for the less expensive option.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
Im an apprentice plumber. We had a guy from Uponor that came to our job site and explained to us about their warantee and products etc. Had a mini quiz at the end.
So technically. Im certified to use their products. In their data base. It says I'm Certified.
They started doing this because they wanna make sure people actually understand how to use their products PROPERLY!

If you buy PIPES from Uponor and use a FITTING from a different brand. If the PIPE burst where the FITTING and pipes connect. The warantee is voided. So you must buy pipes and fittings from the same manufacture.

If there is a leak from there products. They will inspect it to see if the fitting was installed properly or if there was any damage to the pipes. Having a piece of TAPE on the pipes can slowly destroy the pipes over time.

PEX is the type of plastic.

Thats all i remember at the moment

There are alot of good Plumbers who take pride in there work. There are also alot of crappy plumbers who do poor quality work. Keep that in mind. You can spend $$$ on pipes then hire a bad plumber. Leaks!
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
Im an apprentice plumber. We had a guy from Uponor that came to our job site and explained to us about their warantee and products etc. Had a mini quiz at the end.
So technically. Im certified to use their products. In their data base. It says I'm Certified.
They started doing this because they wanna make sure people actually understand how to use their products PROPERLY!

If you buy PIPES from Uponor and use a FITTING from a different brand. If the PIPE burst where the FITTING and pipes connect. The warantee is voided. So you must buy pipes and fittings from the same manufacture.

If there is a leak from there products. They will inspect it to see if the fitting was installed properly or if there was any damage to the pipes. Having a piece of TAPE on the pipes can slowly destroy the pipes over time.

PEX is the type of plastic.

Thats all i remember at the moment

There are alot of good Plumbers who take pride in there work. There are also alot of crappy plumbers who do poor quality work. Keep that in mind. You can spend $$$ on pipes then hire a bad plumber. Leaks!
What do you mean by having a piece of TAPE on the pipes can slowly destroy the pipes?? tape as in scotch tape/ painters tape / duct tape?

Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #9

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
What do you mean by having a piece of TAPE on the pipes can slowly destroy the pipes?? tape as in scotch tape/ painters tape / duct tape?
Because of the residue it will degrade the pipe over time. Its rare but it could happen. Or even using a black marker to write on the pipe will degrade the pipe also.
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 14 Times in 7 Posts
Both systems are completely different in material (Uponor=polyethylene crosslinked, Aquatherm=polypropylene) and method of installation (Uponor=cold expansion, Polypropylene=hot fusion).
Having said that, both systems will probably last 50 years regardless of how long the warranty is.
My advice: pick the cheaper option (which is probably Uponor)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,565 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
i've seen/heard of issues with Aquatherm. i don't have details and still under investigation but I would say be careful with the product. Not sure if it's an install or fitting issue or other.

personally i would stick with what's tried & true vs a special type of material.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
my building is looking into re-piping and the strata people are considering Aquatherm vs. Uponor. We will have to vote on one of these. Any idea which is better?
Quote:
both are PEX.
will be here for a while.

Uponor has 25yr warranty - 4mil (it'll be pex + stainless steel)

Aquatherm is 10yr warranty - 3mil (it'll all be pex)

looking for opinions on which way to vote given 1mil diff.
Mind blown that aquatherm is cheaper and has less warranty than wisbro (Uponor). That stuff is major pain in the ass, from fusing fittings in tight areas, to irons not hot enough, the wait time between using the irons, always needing to have power ran to the irons, to parts being shipped from over seas, the 500°F burns to flesh

When i first read your post i thought this was about pex (crimp) vs wisbor (expanding)

Go with wisbro for sure, you should also get a quote on IPEX-AquaRise.
Aquarise for the mains and anything under 1 1/2" go wisbro
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
Mind blown that aquatherm is cheaper and has less warranty than wisbro (Uponor). That stuff is major pain in the ass, from fusing fittings in tight areas, to irons not hot enough, the wait time between using the irons, always needing to have power ran to the irons, to parts being shipped from over seas, the 500°F burns to flesh

When i first read your post i thought this was about pex (crimp) vs wisbor (expanding)

Go with wisbro for sure, you should also get a quote on IPEX-AquaRise.
Aquarise for the mains and anything under 1 1/2" go wisbro
Who supplies & install IPEX-Aquarise? Can you give a contractor name? I will email our council member.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 14 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
.....you should also get a quote on IPEX-AquaRise.
No harm in getting a quote, but good luck using Aquarise in a building that's already occupied. The primer and glue is absolutely BRUTAL. Guarantee that you'll have people complaining about the smell.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Rehau is the industry standard, as far as I know. I'm not a plumber, but I design mechanical systems and used to commission buildings.

For PEX-a anways, any other variant, you'd probably be better off with another manufacturer.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Uponor is also pex-a.

Are you saying there is a better option that Uponor.
I've also been schooled at the Plumbing 101 class at Revscene.net that Uponor is just the brand and what i'm actually buying is Wisbro.

Is Rehau the brand or material?

Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Rehau is the brand.

https://www.rehau.com/us-en/mechanic...roduct-details
Old 12-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #18

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Failed 294 Times in 64 Posts
Uponor/wirsbo same company/same thing first developer of pex-a.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote