REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #3451
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post
Someone else might be able to charm in, but wouldn't one box of 50 be at least $20 pre-virus?

$40-50 is pretty much the 'norm' in Vancouver now a days.

Price gouging would be fucking Canada Wide Dental.
I ordered from them when it was around $26 very early on in Jan. They had the nerves to call me last week if I wanted more....at freaking $80 bucks.

Level 1: $76.95
https://canadawidedental.com/product...op-face-masks/
Level 2: $81.95
https://canadawidedental.com/product...lue-only-copy/
Level 2: $97.90
https://canadawidedental.com/product...e-face-shield/

Yeah, I rember buying a box of 15 masks from Rexall for 7-8 dollars in October. Some other sources I've found sell for 50 cents CAD a 3-ply mask but are sold out.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #3452
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Got an email from article

Due to the exponential increase in the demand for face masks, our initial batch of 3-Ply Face Masks are already sold out. We managed to get limited new batches of 3-Ply Face Masks as well as KN95 Masks but at a higher cost price and so prices for the incoming batch of masks will be adjusted. This also applies to incoming stock for KN95 masks which may have to be raised to $2.5/mask. New 3-Ply Face Masks will tentatively be available for order on April 8, 2020. Due to the impact on postal services, we recommend upgrading to FedEx Priority Shipping as Regular Airmail may take up to 12 days to be shipped.

We recommend purchasing the limited stock of ASTM Level 1 Surgical Masks as we have lowered the prices to combat cost increase for the new batches. This applies to all KN95 Masks as well as there are only a few left in stock from our first batch purchase. Current prices are as followed:

3-Ply Surgical Masks
(available from April 8) $55 / 100 masks Regular Airmail: Free

FedEx: $25/ 100 masks (Additional per order: $10/ 100 masks)
ASTM Level 1
Surgical Mask $65/ 100 masks Regular Airmail: Free

FedEx: $25/ 100 masks (Additional per order: $10/ 100 masks)
KN95 (Individually Packed) $230/ 100 masks FedEx Priority Shipping: $25/ 100 masks
Kn95 (Resealable Zipper Top) $200/ 100 masks FedEx Priority Shipping: $25/ 100 masks
KN95 (Kids Size) $200/ 100 masks FedEx Priority Shipping: $25/ 100 masks
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #3453
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Anyone buy the 5 in a pack KN95 on Artscow for $0.30 cheaper ($30 cheaper for 100) than the individually packaged ones?

Anyone attempt to order from HK or Artscow with free airmail shipping or registered airmail? Is the delay really there? "Regular Airmail may take up to 12 days to be shipped" plus an additional week or more for the international cargo flight = approx. wait a month to receive?

Damn, I notice my spending has gone up from buying masks and cleaning supplies, etc. Must be really difficult for people who lost their job in this time.

Last edited by Amuse; 04-04-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #3454
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
But it is not their fault for the slow response and negligent of other countries such as the italy, canada and the US. There are plenty of other places who have taken up proper procedures at the beginning and have the virus well under control (Hong kong, Taiwan, Singapore, South korea).

Lets remember, it blew up to major proportions in china months before it hit other countries like the US. There was a solid 2 months of potential preparing time to stop a wide spread outbreak. Some countries have clearly reacted better then others.
you can thank the China Health Organization for that
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #3455
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
Anyone buy the 5 in a pack KN95 on Artscow for $0.30 cheaper ($30 cheaper for 100) than the individually packaged ones?

Anyone attempt to order from HK or Artscow with free airmail shipping or registered airmail? Is the delay really there? "Regular Airmail may take up to 12 days to be shipped" plus an additional week or more for the international cargo flight = approx. wait a month to receive?

Damn, I notice my spending has gone up from buying masks and cleaning supplies, etc. Must be really difficult for people who lost their job in this time.
I have a package coming from HK, that's been sitting there for a week now with no movement.

At this point, masks are just going to go up in price. Pricing from the manufacturer keeps going up due to demand.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #3456
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
China was still claiming no human to human transmissions as late as mid-late Jan, ffs
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #3457
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
China was still claiming no human to human transmissions as late as mid-late Jan, ffs
So it was animal to human, then? uh.............mmmmmm. Vaporized, sprayed, injected on purpose? It was aliens. I knew it!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 04-04-2020 at 08:33 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #3458
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,571 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
you guys think if 3M stops export to canada (under US law), will that hurt their brand in the long run? ppl may associate the stoppage just with 3M, and not the US/trump

Also this...

flat earth guy playing with covid fire here, trying to video and "investigate" covid sites endangering the public

https://globalnews.ca/news/6777373/b...R1mOxXy-xnIiZg

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #3459
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Nevermind 3M, that "idiot" and his Bikram Yoga brand will be hurt in the short and long run. Is he doing this for attention or 5 minutes of fame, or is he really that stupid? The term Yoga should not be associated with that nut job. Saw a Buddha in the video somewhere. There is nothing from the teachings of any Buddha that would fit his train of thought. What a poor excuse of a human being.

Flat Earth. Should have known. I get it that people want to be different. Love to argue for the sake of arguing. Don't know his name or want to know. That'll give him what he wants. Attention.

Stories like this makes you wAnder what kind of child life this snake went through. What is the rest of his family like? Mother must be really proud of him.

Please tell me he doesn't have a wife and children.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 04-04-2020 at 09:00 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #3460
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
you guys think if 3M stops export to canada (under US law), will that hurt their brand in the long run? ppl may associate the stoppage just with 3M, and not the US/trump

Also this...

flat earth guy playing with covid fire here, trying to video and "investigate" covid sites endangering the public

https://globalnews.ca/news/6777373/b...R1mOxXy-xnIiZg
It's going to hurt 3M because countries now know they can't rely on them for masks. Countries are going to make sure they can make masks so they don't have to import them. 3M may open factories in other countries when this is over.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...attle-covid-19

That flat earth guy also owns a bikrim yoga that was shut down because he claimed hot yoga can kill corona.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #3461
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
Let's not stoop to Americas level and have a trade war right now. Well remember who our friends are after this pandemic.

Count your blessing you dont live a shithole country with bodies pilling up on the streets.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #3462

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
I just spoke with a friend last night, and one of my best friends from high school passed away Wednesday. Apparently from covid.
I hadn't talked to him in years.
His wife passed about a year ago and he'd been drinking hard virtually every day since. Lost a lot of weight. His immune system I'm sure was quite battered.
He was my age (40).
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #3463
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,571 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
that's the thing, i wonder if countries with the resources to do so start looking at other manufacturing options. you'd think 3M would be able to take advantage of the business, ramp up operations while being profitable, but i guess the issue is they can't keep up with demand

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #3464
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Actually by lying to the WHO who in turn lied to their member countries, it pretty much IS their fault for the slow response by the rest of the world.

I do agree that there were people who knew how bad this would get, but because the borders couldn't be closed in time, this was pretty much inevitable. China missed the first step in potential containment (that unprecedented response should have happened in December, not late January when it was too late) and the second step (don't pressure countries to keep their borders open).

We had 2 chances to prevent this, but the CCP either wanted everyone to suffer with them so as not to "lose face" or seriously thought it wouldn't be an issue worth "losing face" over. So here we are.
I am sure you already know this, but when the first signs of the pandemic are showing, Hubei Lianghui is happening. Historically, whenever Lianghui happens, negative news will be suppressed locally so all the local officials look good. Everyone in China is aware of this but things usually go well enough for no one to care for a bureaucratic event like this.

They thought they can sweep it under the rug with this one to look good(not "lose face") at Lianghui, well we all know that went. I believe SARS also went like this.

This has raised voices in China where they should either move the dates to outside of a time frame where epidemic usually occur, or just cancel them altogether because they are pretty useless for obvious reasons.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #3465
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Two colleagues of mine have family members who are front line doctors/nurses are confirmed with COVID-19. One of them is a doctor in France, the other two are in New York (nurse and doctor.) Shit is real. Stay home as much as you can, folks, and wash your hands regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #3466
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Is it time we change the title of this thread to just Coronavirus?
Or Coronavirus Discussion is good.

good job whoever the mod is.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #3467
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post

I place a order for them last night. One fellow RS contacted me and wanted 20 of the kn95 that I ordered earlier and I gave 50 to my parents and sister.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #3468
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I wonder if there are "price gouging" rules, if there's a percentage or what to determine what is considered price gouging.

Because these masks, especially the miniso ones, normally would be about $0.05-$0.10 each. Is a 10-20X markup not gouging?

Production + shipping cost has increased due to demand and lack of access. Factory pricing have increased. So its normal for pricing to gone up.. its hard to tell whats normal cost & gouging now but you def won't be able to get a mask for even .30each even directly from a factory atm

Last edited by MelonBoy; 04-04-2020 at 10:40 AM.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #3469

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
The problem isn’t with US stopping exporting to Canada. The same way Taiwan stopped exporting them at the very beginning of things. You have to be able to contain yourself before helping others.

What we, as Canadian, have to realize that relying on other countries for essential goods like pharmaceutical can be a very dangerous thing.

China was (and still is) the largest pharmaceutical equipment exporter in the world as we decided to outsource everything in the name of economical growth and even passed laws and trade agreements to facilitate such behavior for fucking Canadian companies!!! China is now more or less holding hostages when it comes to negotiating who get these equipment and supplies. And if you don’t agree to their terms, China isn’t shipping you shit.

We should bring them back. And only allow “surpluses” to be exported. We’d be better off as a whole and bring those jobs back from China.

As I said before and I’d say it again, China as a world factory is coming to an end and it should. We are too stupid to continue letting them to take Canadian jobs while making threats on what to buy from us.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #3470
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,184 Times in 1,969 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The problem isn’t with US stopping exporting to Canada. The same way Taiwan stopped exporting them at the very beginning of things. You have to be able to contain yourself before helping others.

What we, as Canadian, have to realize that relying on other countries for essential goods like pharmaceutical can be a very dangerous thing.

China was (and still is) the largest pharmaceutical equipment exporter in the world as we decided to outsource everything in the name of economical growth and even passed laws and trade agreements to facilitate such behavior for fucking Canadian companies!!! China is now more or less holding hostages when it comes to negotiating who get these equipment and supplies. And if you don’t agree to their terms, China isn’t shipping you shit.

We should bring them back. And only allow “surpluses” to be exported. We’d be better off as a whole and bring those jobs back from China.

As I said before and I’d say it again, China as a world factory is coming to an end and it should. We are too stupid to continue letting them to take Canadian jobs while making threats on what to buy from us.
While I agree with you, I think your sentiment that China will no longer be the world factory is somewhat wrong.

Our global economy is designed in a manner in which nations divert their structural resources to producing within specialized industries in order to optimize efficiency and scales of economy. We've built that fundamental structural framework within our economies as a result.

To change this setup would mean we will have to fundamentally change our very idea of market capitalism.

A company CEO has their fiduciary duty to their shareholders. This creates an environment where companies move those said jobs and production to markets where it is cheaper, even to the detriment of the country in which the company resides.

Keep in mind I completely agree with you, but I really have doubts that we have the political capital to make such a structural change to how our markets and economies work.

At the very least, the powers that be will fight any such change tooth and nail.

What you are asking is an economic revolution, which I doubt will happen before this whole thing simply falls apart here.

I'm interested to see how this can be changed.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #3471
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 397 Times in 91 Posts
Anyone ever think about getting purposely infected so they can go on living their life. Especially before BC healthcare gets inevitably more overwhelmed than it currently is.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #3472

Thanked 2,921 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
^^ makes no sense... judging by the symptoms - high fever, fatigue, cold sweats, breathing issues... doesn't sound like something i'd like to purposely get.

on a different note, if and when things start getting back to normal, i would anticipate at least 40% of small businesses across Vancouver (and perhaps even some large) to permanently shut down.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #3473
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
The numbers from through testing suggests that up to 50% of people that contract covid are asymptomatic, ie don't show signs of sickness, and are thought to be super spreaders.

There was also a post previously, suggesting people that have recovered may be given arm bands to identify that they are no longer carriers and have antibodies to fight the disease.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #3474
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Our lives are going to be different after this pandemic. Nothing will be the same. Time to learn, adapt and overcome!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #3475
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,724 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
There's no proof yet that you cannot be reinfected and subsequently experience an even worse case of illness. That's my concern. At this point in time, it's not as simple as "I'll just get sick, recover and move on". There's also no guarantee that just because you're young and/or healthy that it won't hit you hard.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote