REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #3551
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
If you are a landlord and bought a property 10 plus years ago you will be in a good position. The rent you are able to charge has doubled and so has the value of the building. Even if your rental income drops by 30%/40% you should still be fine. Also anyone on goverment assistance will have no problem paying rent.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #3552
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If you are a landlord and bought a property 10 plus years ago you will be in a good position. The rent you are able to charge has doubled and so has the value of the building. Even if your rental income drops by 30%/40% you should still be fine. Also anyone on goverment assistance will have no problem paying rent.
I hope so, I am concern about my parent's mortgage even though I don't have one on my own yet.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #3553
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
This is actually why it was incredibly irresponsible for Trump to give false hope about the efficacy of the drug as a treatment/cure. Being in pharmacy, I can tell you that when he made that statement, it was at best anecdotal information being passed along to the American public as fact straight out of Trump's mouth on TV.

The average person does not have a good understanding of medications. Having talked to hundreds and hundreds of patients over the years, some people literally have no clue what it is they take and why. So when someone as important as the POTUS says on TV that this drug looks very promising, the average person can easily make the mistake (by similar names) that they have it in their household and it's the same thing. There was clearly also confusion that the couple thought it work as a preventative measure to stop themselves from being infected.

There's a ton of work that goes into making medications as fool proof as possible. The only onus on the patient is to read the instructions and take as directed; which, in itself, is hard enough as is for some people. By bypassing actual studies and waiting for verification of efficacy, the dangers of misuse/misinterpretation is extremely high. At this very moment, drug trials are being conducted in live time as we need to find something to treat this virus. Drug re-purposing is the only immediate option to hopefully combat this until a vaccine is created.

All of the above info is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to using medicine. This is part of the reason why it takes so long to get your retail prescriptions. They are taking the time to absolutely make sure you are getting what you're supposed to as well as how you're supposed to use it. Please treat your retail pharmacy staff with respect and patience. That's my PSA for the day.

For far too long, a lot of people have been treating their pharmacies like McD's.
I agree, but I will say that it's not really just hearsay that chloroquine could treat C19. There was a small study (in vitro) done in France that was done after the word from China came out as a potential treatment.

Most seem to skeptical of its potential as a treatment due to the size of the study, and it's definitely a terrible thing for a president to even bring it up as a treatment, but it's not exactly a rumor going around. There is SOME evidence that it could work. FWIW

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 04-05-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: edit: in vitro study
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #3554
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,724 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
yes, which is why it's categorized as anecdotal evidence. the only option is to try different treatments and see what works. if it works, fantastic. if it doesn't, other combinations are being tried. this is all in the name of trying to save those patient's lives and hopefully come up with something that can help others as well.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #3555

OK maybe anecdotal evidence means something else in pharmaceuticals, I stand corrected

Edit: Just today a small in vivo study, also in France, came out saying that it wasn't effective
Old 04-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #3556

Remember what I said 2 months ago about listening to TV Doctors
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #3557
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,536 Times in 1,724 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
the most recent example would be the concern raised about the use of NSAIDs (ibuprofen etc) in treating the symptoms of covid-19. it was quickly dismissed because there was no real evidence to support it, just what people were saying in limited examples. I forget which country this was (france? italy?). anyways, they put that information out there with good intentions as a *potential* warning that it may worsen things.

results of this? people panicked and spread the info everywhere which later led to that official statement from WHO that it wasn't true. some people even misunderstood thinking that somehow taking an NSAID would make you vulnerable to contracting the virus.

summary:
1. info was anecdotal (even if best of intentions)
2. caused panic
3. misinformation spread
4. misinterpretation of already incorrect information
5. debunked with official statement

This is the danger of putting information out there too soon and also the danger of giving this type of information to the public. In a healthcare setting, it's meant to try and help each other treat patients. Again, we're looking at and trying everything available in a quick-moving situation.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #3558
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts

Big brained media. Maybe Trump should have explicitly instructed people to drink fish tank cleaner in order to spare them from slowly starving to death.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #3559
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Surprised the big guy didn't give him a rhetorical answer to that actually retarded question
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #3560
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
You have to be pretty stupid not to pay your rent if you have the money. Your landlord may not be able to kick you out now but sooner or later he will sent your ass to the curb.
I got into an argument (imagine that? ) on Facebook with Somone essentially telling people to tell their landlords to fuck off and not pay their rent

I explained that our portion of our house is almost exclusively powered by natural gas (central air furnace, gas range, LED lighting, gas powered hot water etc) with the suite powered almost exclusively by hydro (wall heaters, electric range, etc)

So basically the suite is almost entirely contained within itself for power and it frequently reaches $700 for every 2 months, almost entirely the suite

So as a landlord I’m suppose to eat the complete use of the suite? Like besides providing a roof over your head etc. I’m suppose to eat your use of electricity etc?

We are in a fairly fortunate situation and as I said before I’ve cut out Tenants rate in half for the foreseeable future however, as you said, if my tenant can’t pay rent after a couple weeks of no income, or a single income, you’re going to be gone shortly after once all this is over because you’ve proven to be unreliable.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #3561
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post

I'm not a landlord but do have a mortgage and my work has been impacted by the virus and will not be receiving any benefits as I will have minimal income coming in. I think tenants need to be working with their landlords and NOT against them in times where everyone is impacted. Banks can only defer mortgage payments in the most extreme of cases like getting laid off or at home sick with the virus and not earning income. The deferred payments will still need to be paid AND strata fees and other expenses will also need to be paid. My personal belief is that if you're a tenant and you're laid off or have no employment, allocate some of your CERB towards your rental payment (negotiate with your landlord what that might look like), but it's not the time to pool together to "show" landlords up. Many landlords like my mom does not profit from her rental income. A bit of a rant.
Agreed.

Also, this is Canada, it’s cheque like everywhere else in the world except our neighbours to the south, eh.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3562

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
the most recent example would be the concern raised about the use of NSAIDs (ibuprofen etc) in treating the symptoms of covid-19. it was quickly dismissed because there was no real evidence to support it, just what people were saying in limited examples. I forget which country this was (france? italy?). anyways, they put that information out there with good intentions as a *potential* warning that it may worsen things.

results of this? people panicked and spread the info everywhere which later led to that official statement from WHO that it wasn't true. some people even misunderstood thinking that somehow taking an NSAID would make you vulnerable to contracting the virus.

summary:
1. info was anecdotal (even if best of intentions)
2. caused panic
3. misinformation spread
4. misinterpretation of already incorrect information
5. debunked with official statement

This is the danger of putting information out there too soon and also the danger of giving this type of information to the public. In a healthcare setting, it's meant to try and help each other treat patients. Again, we're looking at and trying everything available in a quick-moving situation.
That is definitely an example of anecdotal evidence being taken too seriously and spread as misinformation.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #3563
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
FYI

Coronavirus: Controversial malaria drug hydroxychloroquine tested at B.C. seniors’ home

https://globalnews.ca/news/6744766/h...e-coronavirus/

A controversial anti-malaria drug is being trialed as a therapy for COVID-19 at the B.C. seniors’ care home at the epicentre of the province’s novel coronavirus outbreak.

Global News has confirmed that residents of the Lynn Valley Care Centre are receiving hydroxychloroquine as a part of an international study on the effectiveness of the drug.

The drug is being administered to all residents of the virus-stricken building known as “the lodge” at the care home, with the exception of those who opted out of the trial.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #3564
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
https://twitter.com/JoeySalads/statu...64616980131841

Big brained media. Maybe Trump should have explicitly instructed people to drink fish tank cleaner in order to spare them from slowly starving to death.
The bottom bar proves my point. Trump: hydroxychloroquine may or may not work. Guess what eating dog shit may or may not work.

Also not letting people into grocery stores is not a 100% bad idea. they can have people order online or bring a list to the store and have staff get the food as they wait in there car. similar to what I am doing right now.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #3565
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #3566
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/st...29069896835072

Remember what I said 2 months ago about listening to TV Doctors
I watched the video. One of the callers said "..and it's corona 19, that must mean there were at least 18 of these other ones"
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #3567
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Agreed.

Also, this is Canada, it’s cheque like everywhere else in the world except our neighbours to the south, eh.
That poster makes me so angry.

People see someone staying at home for work. Everyone else wants to stay at home and get paid their full salary. Some people get some benefits from the government to help the economy from imploding. Everyone then feels they should live for free because some people are getting benefits. For f^Cl$ sake. Why don’t we all not pay our mortgages/rent and none of us work? Are people seriously this stupid?

How about planning ahead for a rainy day and not blaming everyone else for your own issues? I could drive a fancy car, I could own a decent house, I could vacation all the time. But you know what? I don’t because I save for a god damn rainy day! Sure, I make a decent income and I realize some aren’t so fortunate. But when I made 32k a year, I was paying off student loans, living in $hit holes and having no life to do so. God damnit, people are so god damn entitled it pisses me off.

End of rant. I may join Happys team soon. Arrggh
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #3568

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
THIS is what a LEADER for HIS people sounds like:

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/ff41c...4/?jwsource=cl
So Canada will produce its own "N96" masks! From Woodbridge in Ontario, who specializes in manufacturing automotive supplies.
https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/04/n96-masks/

Medicom, of Quebec, "is aiming to open its first mask factory in Canada by July."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...manufacturing/

Last edited by Amuse; 04-05-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #3569

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
So Canada will produce its own "N96" masks! From Woodbridge in Ontario, who specializes in manufacturing automotive supplies.
https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/04/n96-masks/
AHAHHAHAA!!!
N95<N96! Trump will not be pleased with that!!
It's perfect
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #3570
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 14 Times in 8 Posts
Taiwan CDC/FDA demonstrate using a rice cooker to disinfect used face masks.

The original Mandarin version also talked about using UV rays (220-280nm wavelength in dish dryer's disinfection function) to disinfect used face masks. The UV rays would be useful for the top and bottom sides of the face mask; however, surgical face masks are 3 layers (6 sides in total) so the CDC/FDA can't be certain it would be effective for the rest of the 4 sides.

fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #3571
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...103802981.html
Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #3572

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
Taiwan CDC/FDA demonstrate using a rice cooker to disinfect used face masks.

The original Mandarin version also talked about using UV rays (220-280nm wavelength in dish dryer's disinfection function) to disinfect used face masks. The UV rays would be useful for the top and bottom sides of the face mask; however, surgical face masks are 3 layers (6 sides in total) so the CDC/FDA can't be certain it would be effective for the rest of the 4 sides.

https://youtu.be/ogCTP3xCWkM
We're trying something similar with hockey equipment cleaning machine

https://globalnews.ca/news/6773148/r...-ppe-shortage/
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #3573
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:

It says chloroquine right on the bottle.
There's also a picture of a fish and the words 'a new drug for treating fish disease'. Last I checked, we are currently not fish. Anyone who would consume from that bottle, I will personally mail a Darwin award to.

Some investigative journalism has been done since that story and it's showing that story to be quite 'fishy' but I don't expect the MSM to ever update this story again though as they are vultures, not storks.

Anyway, I'd rather the outrage shift back to malpractice that got us here.

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #3574
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 14 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
We're trying something similar with hockey equipment cleaning machine

https://globalnews.ca/news/6773148/r...-ppe-shortage/
Not sure about the low temperature setting at 70c (TW FDA/CDC video suggested reaching and maintaining 110c) and the shortfall of using directional UV rays, but yes it's the same concept .
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:17 AM   #3575

Ivermectin stops SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture

Not to get hopes up, but new info. This study killed 99.8 of the virus DNA within 48 hours, but it's important to note that this is In Vitro. Like Chloroquine, it might look good in a test tube, but prove to be ineffective in practice.