REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #3826
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 54 Times in 23 Posts
First, Pardon my English..............

Taiwan knew something was not right back in 2019 Dec and Taiwan started monitoring and tracking since.

Taiwan also warned WHO about it will transmit human to human. WHO didn't listen. And still give out false info to the globe.

I would totally blame WHO, Tedros, leads the world into the situation now.
So much politics with CHINA.
If WHO stands neutral, and do their job right. We might not be as bad as now.

As i watch Taiwanese News, Taiwan actually gives case numbers to those who got infected. That way is so much easier to track, control and branch out to possible contacts.
Advertisement
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #3827
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Frankly regardless of Japan’s attention to detail their land mass will never bode well to surviving things like this long term. Density is too high. I don’t care how high strung your society is, you can’t beat volume. I’ll give BC credit in their handling of this, however I think a huge factor in their relative success in handling it is due to low density of the population in the GVRD

I still see people complaining about Vancouver not being a world class city in other threads. We will see once this is all over what Canada and Vancouver look like.

I believe besides the incompetence of our federal govt. and to our provincial in many aspects (although even taking a neutral stance I will say the NDP has done an OK job) BC always comes out ahead based on its own merit.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #3828
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Very few countries did NOT listen to the WHO. Taiwan is the ultimate example, but in a way they only did so because they weren't allowed to take part.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #3829
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Yet you criticise the conservatives, who recommended AGAINST the WHO guidelines all the way back in January.
Your comment was not grounded by facts, but bias.
This government is STILL following WHO guidelines.
I can't see how anyone can defend that.
So what guidelines should they follow?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #3830
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
That was a funny comic, but it has since been revealed that all the hate and death threats were coming from Chinese accounts masquerading as Taiwanese trolls
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #3831

Quote:
This government is STILL following WHO guidelines.
Serious question since I don't know, but which UN countries are NOT following the WHO guidelines at this time? And which guidelines do you take issue with?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #3832
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts

Not a big fan of Bill but sometimes he says what I'm thinking. Need more messages like this to reach mass audiences.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #3833
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Honestly don't know what the end game is.

BC is doing well, quebec is not flattening yet.

Canada or any other given county, has a tough cookie regardless which side they partake for or against the WHO.

Reporters will say "where are your sources from? Why are you opposing the WHO"
"Do you have smarter doctors than WHO?" Now, if they don't take recommendations and their decisions fail eg// maks...... "I TOLD YOU SO, why didn't you listen to WHO".

Can't win; so by default... just stand close with WHO and they can deflect any blame on WHO.

yes, 12-18 months until vaccine or.. there is no fucking game plan... I don't blame the government... cause what plan do you have you think that could solve this?

1) Bail out big corp... who goes first? Airlines is #1, you gotta have your own planes to repatriate your people
2) Next in line.. you got Oil and Gas asking for bail out *poor ass Alberta.
3) In about 3 weeks, City of Van and everyone else will be poor and run out of money. No revenue and default in property tax... bail out again...

Any ideas on who you would bail out next?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #3834
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Problem is, where is the theoretical bottom of the bucket? I think a lot of governments have already hit the bottom and have kept drilling and drilling. Its a really tough situation because its death if you do, death if you don't.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #3835
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Serious question since I don't know, but which UN countries are NOT following the WHO guidelines at this time? And which guidelines do you take issue with?
Austria, Czech republic, Slovakia among others have made masks compulsory.
Many other countries are STRONGLY advising their use.
Even the CDC is telling Americans to wear them when in public.
This government is still downplaying effectiveness. STILL. Directly mimicking the WHO guidelines. It was just days ago that they finally came out and said they might maybe possibly help lower asymptomatic transmission.
You might, you should, you shouldn't, false sense of security, might make you, not worn properly, can actually be worse...
Really!!?? This is a health organization?
And this government is following them lockstep
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #3836

Hey here's a simple solution:
Lockdown the country for one month, keeping nothing but groceries and medical available.
During that one month, take some of those hundreds of billions of dollars that's going to be spent on this half assed 12-18 month self isolation nonsense and spend it on manufacturing masks.
Lift the lockdown, provide your citizens with masks and make them compulsory.
No one is sick. No one is going to get sick. Everyone back to work. Too simple?
Getting a little tired of couping my ass up in the house, going out only for groceries once a week while at least half the population treats it like nothing. Is that why a fraction of us have to do this? For those morons?
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-10-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #3837

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Family cottage and 70 or so other properties have road access through a provincial park which was created decades after the road was built and had public money spent on it. Authorities have no legal right to gate the road to close the park. All they can do is tape off all the parking areas. The big brained have decided to park on the road itself, impeding traffic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1586590154295.jpg (68.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #3838

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Hey here's a simple fix:
Lockdown the country for one month, keeping nothing but groceries and medical available.
That can't happen in Canada. Not like a Wuhan lockdown in which everything is shut down, and all the streets were like ghost towns.

In Canada, besides grocery stores and medical, there are a lot more "essential service" workers that have to work. Government of Canada will be slow to shut those down too, creating a full lockdown. So many people still go out to work. That also brings people who don't have work/ who are supposed to stay home to go out as well to go shopping for garden and patio supplies, video games, Tim Hortons drive thrus for food. Canada does not have much experience in creative ways in dealing with flattening the curve in which everyone listens, like in Taiwan.

Quote:
During that one month, take some of those hundreds of billions of dollars that's going to be spent on this half assed 12-18 month self isolation nonsense and spend it on manufacturing masks.
Lift the lockdown, provide your citizens with masks and make them compulsory.
Canada is slow to recommend mask use too. It is currently "recommended" and wearing a cloth face mask "does not hurt." Until Canada enforces mask use, not everyone will wear a mask. It VARIED widely with which community people are in/cultures/how CONCERNED people are with Covid 19.
If you go to Metrotown or Richmond, most of the people wear masks
This past week I was in Surrey Walmart (most people were wearing a mask)
Burnaby North Safeway (half the people were wearing a mask)
Driving along W Broadway from Commercial to Oak St. (Surprisingly many people on the street were wearing masks)
Home Depot in Poco and KMS in Coq. (I guess only 5-10% of people wear a mask)

Last edited by Amuse; 04-11-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #3839
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
It's pretty easy to say shut everything down for a month, wear a mask and *poof* problem solved let's all go back to work. First you have time make enough masks for everyone to wear, then you have to enforce that everyone will actually comply (good fucking luck), and then until every last person is actually symptom free and there's no cases in BC how can you say shit won't spread like wildfire again when EVERYONE goes back to work?

To think one month would cure everything is ridiculous. Get ready to cancel your summer plans cause this shit will be around for awhile whether they "shut it all down" or not.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #3840
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
The dude is a know it all troll. Why does the whole country need a shutdown when BC is doing fine flattening the curve. You're not going to have cases goto zero after a month especially with 100's of thousands of canadians still overseas who'll eventually come home.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2020, 12:06 AM   #3841

Sorry, i thought i was being clear.
-shutdown
-manufacture masks
-lift shutdown with provided masks made compulsory
-everyone back to work with compulsory mask order still in place until vaccine

Tell me what's physically not possible about that.
Tell me why other countries, some less developed some not, can do that but we can't.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-11-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #3842

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
The dude is a know it all troll. Why does the whole country need a shutdown when BC is doing fine flattening the curve. You're not going to have cases goto zero after a month especially with 100's of thousands of canadians still overseas who'll eventually come home.
We cannot think BC is doing fine. If all BC'es think we are doing fine, then people will travel out of town on the weekend, gather with families and drink beers, and then the curve will spike back up again.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #3843
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
blame cant 100% be placed on WHO...they were never the end-all be-all

wasn't CBSA still only handing out questionnaires for travelers a week or so ago?

the only countries outside initial outbreak that had a legitimate excuse to get caught off guard was Italy/Iran...Korea to an extent

everyone else thought 'sad, but won't be that bad here' ...hubris for governments not to take scenarios seriously

BC got lucky spring break was after ON/QC's...let's see if the case loads shoot up again in 2-3 weeks after a long weekend of camping, boat trips, packed ferry sailings putting seniors in sparse communities at risk

we need to get dumped with river in the sky downpours for a few weeks to keep up the effort
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #3844
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
-shutdown
-manufacture masks

Tell me why other countries, some less developed some not, can do that but we can't.
Why shut down, TV doctor said you just take qualaquin and zinc and 12 to 18 hours later you are perfectly fine. Just go out and do your thing. if you get sick you will be down for less than 24 hours. quarantine over.

Also, forget masks all you need is a scarf. We should just get all the grannies to start mass producing scarfs.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #3845
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,248 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
We should let welfare & manic! run the country.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #3846

Welfare at least comes across as giving a fuck, even if I don't agree with everything. (I do agree that masks absolutely are the key to solving this).

Manic is just... well manic... He's come close to being banned from the thread a few times. Starting to get tired of the pointless attacks. If you want to argue or debate, fine, but come on. Make a damn point!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 03:10 AM   #3847
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
-shutdown
-manufacture masks

IMO country size has something to do with that.

When you are the second largest country in the world, things are going to be a lot harder to manage. It might be able to be done on big cities, but to apply and enforce these to every little town in Canada are going to take effort.

That said, bigger area with few people means low population density, and so the hot spots tend to be mostly large cities.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:51 AM   #3848
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Just a note Bergamo, Italy is hardest hit and its density is far less than Vancouver (3000/km2 vs 5500/km2) it's closer to metro Vancouvers density of 2600/km2 Bergamos population is only 120k, so I'm not sure how relevant? Population density is when it comes to this
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:56 AM   #3849

There are so many factors to take in, it's impossible to narrow down to a single thing like population density.

For instance, there's almost a direct correlation between all the significant cases in NY, and ethnicity. Almost everyone getting sick are black or hispanic, many of whom are first line heath care workers (black and hispanic make up for a huge portion of that field) and bus drivers.

In NY or New Orleans, you can overlay a C19 map with a map of average household incomes, or race, and they will almost match up 1:1.

This obviously points out a huge huge problem in America that not many people are going to pay attention to... They are busy fighting over trying to have a proper health care system and fighting against higher minimum wages (many of whom are these "essential workers" the country is currently relying on)

Sorry if I ranted there this kind of pisses me off whenever I think about it.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #3850
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
You guys do know that the numbers in bc are low because they aren't testing anyone right and Canada still doesn't have the capacity to test. Because doctor's are like just stay home self quarantine and take Tylenol
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: