REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #3851
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Read. The. Numbers.
Canada is 7th in the number of total tests in the world.
Any presumed case with contact is counted as a positive, no test is needed.
Look at the hospitalization numbers
Look at the deaths

Use the information in front of you.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 04-11-2020 at 06:02 AM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #3852
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,921 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
... condo living ...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/04...spit-covid-19/
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #3853

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
There are so many factors to take in, it's impossible to narrow down to a single thing like population density.

For instance, there's almost a direct correlation between all the significant cases in NY, and ethnicity. Almost everyone getting sick are black or hispanic, many of whom are first line heath care workers (black and hispanic make up for a huge portion of that field) and bus drivers.

In NY or New Orleans, you can overlay a C19 map with a map of average household incomes, or race, and they will almost match up 1:1.

This obviously points out a huge huge problem in America that not many people are going to pay attention to... They are busy fighting over trying to have a proper health care system and fighting against higher minimum wages (many of whom are these "essential workers" the country is currently relying on)

Sorry if I ranted there this kind of pisses me off whenever I think about it.
Or maybe black and Hispanic people in America, generally, have differing attitudes/cultures than some other ethnicities.
Just like Italians have differing attitudes/cultures from Japanese.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #3854
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Or maybe black and Hispanic people in America, generally, have differing attitudes/cultures than some other ethnicities.
Just like Italians have differing attitudes/cultures from Japanese.
Japanese and Italians live in 2 different countries that are thousands of miles apart and speak completely different languages. Blacks, Hispanics, Whites, Asians, etc in the states live in the same city and speak the same language.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #3855
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
A nurse (in the US) revealed the tragic last words of his coronavirus patient: 'Who's going to pay for it?'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/healt...rnd/index.html
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #3856
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Canada is 7th in the number of total tests in the world.
Any presumed case with contact is counted as a positive, no test is needed.
Look at the hospitalization numbers
Look at the deaths
where to find live stats on testing?

looking at official curve alone doesn't account for asymptomatic spread and the ~ 3 week lag (incubation, then some delay for real time numbers to get updated in the media)

have they addressed the reason for the handful of community deaths? why those victims didn't check into the hosp with complications developing
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #3857
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #3858

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
where to find live stats on testing?

looking at official curve alone doesn't account for asymptomatic spread and the ~ 3 week lag (incubation, then some delay for real time numbers to get updated in the media)

have they addressed the reason for the handful of community deaths? why those victims didn't check into the hosp with complications developing
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
This is the best source of info for just raw numbers. You can do with them what you will. People who can understand patterns, time passed since outbreak, etc will be able to make the most sense of it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #3859
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
tests per capita we're only doing a bit better than USA and Spain, oof
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #3860
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 591 Posts
Failed 365 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
People like this just need to get their ass kicked. Couple good punches to the face and this dumbass would probably never think he can get away with that kind of pure stupidity and ignorance again. I really wish people pulled this kind of stuff around me.

JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #3861
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
That's the girl who sings the national anthems at Canucks games......... maybe she embellished the story a bit, gulolol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #3862

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
tests per capita we're only doing a bit better than USA and Spain, oof
It’s true, but we are also ahead of south Korea who has been a country to model after in this epidemic. There’s a lot to process and it’s something that requires every number and then some qualitative information to be looked at.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #3863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Japanese and Italians live in 2 different countries that are thousands of miles apart and speak completely different languages. Blacks, Hispanics, Whites, Asians, etc in the states live in the same city and speak the same language.
And do you think there aren't cultural differences between them? Generally speaking, of course.
There are cultural differences between Chinese of different provinces in China.
Differing dialects. Differing attitudes.
Same country. Same ethnicity even.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #3864
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This hits home personally (I live in Toronto, I know.) It sucks here and this is how people are. No matter how educated, how brilliant one might be, I find that it's an Ontario thing here. People have these crazy, conservative (sometimes far-right) ideas, and of course, vote in crazies like Doug Ford. People say Vancouver is full of NIMBY's, but I find that it's mild in Vancouver. It's more extreme here.

No matter how much people hate the Liberals, I stray away from the Conservatives here, both at the municipal, provincial, and federal level.
Completely agree with you. I go to Toronto often for work, and have quite a few friends out there. Their mentality is quite a lot different politically than us out here in Vancouver, a lot more conservative, even people within our age group (mid 30's).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #3865

Yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a very private secluded spot on the coast where we had a little fire, and a few drinks, just the two of us. Not a person in sight near us whatsoever (this spot is not a park or any of such, just a spot off the highway along the coast).

We've been out there twice this week, and both times we noticed someone flying a drone along the coast looking for people.

Low and behold the drone from earlier in the week flew over, and in about 40 minutes an RCMP officer came walking down the beach.

He told us how the locals are calling in the police on people, he told us we were fine and to take our time, but to pack up and head out soon. He even said he had no plans in coming back, and that he had to come down because of the called in complaint. Really nice guy.

This is what I'm truly worried about here. Nimbys have long tried to stop visitors from coming to "their" communities, you know the types I'm talking about.

What I worry about is our civil liberties, our abilities to use public land, to move about. I can already see people taking advantage of COVID to push their own personal agendas in terms of restricting travel, and not having folks in their "preferred" homogeneous communities.

I've traveled the world my whole life, and in summer, I love traveling through BC.

Will we see a time where a usual trip out to Penticton, Osoyoos, the island, and such, becomes a thing of the past?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #3866
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
^ You're on to something.

With respect to development, I can see anti-density advocates being out in full force as more people are infected and hospitalized in the weeks ahead.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #3867
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Yesterday my girlfriend and I went to a very private secluded spot on the coast where we had a little fire, and a few drinks, just the two of us. Not a person in sight near us whatsoever (this spot is not a park or any of such, just a spot off the highway along the coast).

We've been out there twice this week, and both times we noticed someone flying a drone along the coast looking for people.

Low and behold the drone from earlier in the week flew over, and in about 40 minutes an RCMP officer came walking down the beach.

He told us how the locals are calling in the police on people, he told us we were fine and to take our time, but to pack up and head out soon. He even said he had no plans in coming back, and that he had to come down because of the called in complaint. Really nice guy.

This is what I'm truly worried about here. Nimbys have long tried to stop visitors from coming to "their" communities, you know the types I'm talking about.

What I worry about is our civil liberties, our abilities to use public land, to move about. I can already see people taking advantage of COVID to push their own personal agendas in terms of restricting travel, and not having folks in their "preferred" homogeneous communities.

I've traveled the world my whole life, and in summer, I love traveling through BC.

Will we see a time where a usual trip out to Penticton, Osoyoos, the island, and such, becomes a thing of the past?
They really can't stop you if you are traveling within Canada. Locals might give the cold stare or swear and yell but can't really stop you from traveling to their community and on public place. Is like stopping from people Coquitlam going to Stanley park or Waterfront. As long as people follow the social distancing policy in place is fine.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #3868
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Completely agree with you. I go to Toronto often for work, and have quite a few friends out there. Their mentality is quite a lot different politically than us out here in Vancouver, a lot more conservative, even people within our age group (mid 30's).
I've been using a reusable cup since forever, and even folks within the age group think I'm some kind of weirdo hipster out of Vancouver, rolling their eyes in disgust. They're a different bunch out here for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #3869
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
31 dead at a care home in Quebec. The staff abandoned the place. It was privately owned.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ault-1.5529914

Quote:
Quebec Premier François Legault has confirmed 31 people have died at a Montreal-area seniors' residence since March 13 — five, so far, from COVID-19.

A sombre Legault, visibly pale as he spoke at the daily provincial news conference, cancelled a planned day off to deal with the fallout and share the information with the public.

Grim news has been emerging about the seniors' residence in Dorval, in the West Island of Montreal, for a few days.

Legault said that on March 29, when public health officials first visited the private CHSLD — the term used for seniors' residences in the province — "most of the staff had then deserted the residence."

Public health authorities were not able to confirm the exact number of deaths until Friday evening because the Herron's owner had refused to give them access to the residents' files, Legault said.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #3870
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
They really can't stop you if you are traveling within Canada. Locals might give the cold stare or swear and yell but can't really stop you from traveling to their community and on public place. Is like stopping from people Coquitlam going to Stanley park or Waterfront. As long as people follow the social distancing policy in place is fine.
Don't you have COVID-19?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #3871

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
You might be right, but man I'm honestly worried, I don't like that feeling, you know?

I stick out like a sore thumb, when I visit some of these places, like Peach fest, or local restaurants, we'll get those stares or the cold looks as they know we're not from there.

It's always been a sore point for me when I travel to some of these places in BC.

I'm just honestly worried if it will become more apparent and worse in the future here.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #3872
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I've been using a reusable cup since forever, and even folks within the age group think I'm some kind of weirdo hipster out of Vancouver, rolling their eyes in disgust. They're a different bunch out here for sure.
I don’t know what type of people you associate with but that sounds made up. I work in the financial district and literally thousands of people in the PATH use reusable cups. In fact, my firm doesn’t even provide disposable cups anymore and gives every new hire a drink bottle.

Let’s not act like Vancouver is the only woke city in this country or something.

Last edited by buhdeh; 04-11-2020 at 12:03 PM.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #3873

Quote:

You know i wholeheartedly agree that people need to be able to maintain some sanity, so long as they're, not just abiding by rules, but using their brains and common sense.
But like everything, a few bad apples will spoil the bunch.
Oh let's stop here first. Oh let's get that on the way.
It's unfortunate but there are just too many morons who push it and ruin it for the responsible ones.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #3874
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
We cannot think BC is doing fine. If all BC'es think we are doing fine, then people will travel out of town on the weekend, gather with families and drink beers, and then the curve will spike back up again.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ster-1.5528959

BC can breath a little sigh of relief and start loosening some of the rules by the end of the month. Knock on wood of course but we've done a great job when compared to others.

A full country wide shutdown isn't necessary when different provinces are at different stages of this pandemic.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #3875
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
This notion that you can’t go to a vacation home cabin etc. Is completely fucked.

If I had a cabin or something honestly there’s no way in hella you’re telling me not to go there. That’s when it’s bordering on literally stripping civil liberties away when I’m being told I can’t go to a home I OWN.
This post FAILED by: