REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #3901
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
After years of condo living, I can simplify it to a single image

Spoiler!
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #3902
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Can of worms?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #3903
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
appears amazon shipping is taking sweet fucking forever....anyone else?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #3904
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Wow. A second honest article from the CBC in as many days? Color me surprised.
Makes you wonder why we need to bother paying Hajdu and Tam. Might as well just refer to the WHO directly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...onse-1.5529263
I thought CBC was fake news. Same thing in the US .

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/polit...ntv/index.html

Quote:
Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that calls to implement life-saving social distancing measures faced "a lot of pushback" early in the US coronavirus outbreak and that the country is now looking for ways to more effectively respond to the virus should it rebound in the fall.
"I mean, obviously, you could logically say that if you had a process that was ongoing and you started mitigation earlier, you could have saved lives," Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" when asked if social distancing and stay-at-home measures could have prevented deaths had they been put in place in February, instead of mid-March.
"Obviously, no one is going to deny that. But what goes into those decisions is complicated," added Fauci, who is a key member of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force. "But you're right, I mean, obviously, if we had right from the very beginning shut everything down, it may have been a little bit different. But there was a lot of pushback about shutting things down back then."
Old 04-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #3905
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
appears amazon shipping is taking sweet fucking forever....anyone else?
Yep. Prime is not exactly worth it during this time since everything is delayed.

They should really discount prime for the time being.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #3906
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
I've noticed when the weak minded have nothing to defend Trudeau with, they revert to Trump.
Prime example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #3907
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Getting quite tired of these constant confrontational posts from you that do nothing but try to rile people up and take over the thread with pointless arguing. Take a break from the thread for a few days.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #3908
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I can’t remember if it was on John Oliver or somthing else I watched but some people seem to recommend a strategy of “pumping the breaks”

Ie. letting smaller outbreaks happen while loosening constraints, tighten them to deal with the outbreak then re-open the constraints until a rise is seen

Seems reasonable if it could be implemented
Old 04-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #3909
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Is that not what’s happening more or less?

They know the rate of change to an extent. Measures are put in place to keep hospitals at a reasonable level. If they really wanted cases to come to a near halt they would improvise more strict measures. Keeping severe cases at a max capacity of our hospitals is going to be the fastest way through. Why do you think it took so long for measures to be put in place in the first place? I can’t honestly believe it’s due to complete incompetence.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #3910

The problem even now with the relatively “loose” restrictions is that business are going to be dropping like flies.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #3911

Yeah that's pretty much "flattening the curve" since the curve won't be zero.

The only goal is to not completely overwhelm hospitals... So "letting people get sick" isn't really a consideration - people are gonna get sick no matter what. But with strict social distancing measures, less of them will get it at once.

HK only had 4 cases yesterday - 3 imported and 1 local. So we're finally seeing the effect of the border stoppage 2 weeks ago. However the third wave will show us how many of those 2 weeks of imported cases have made local people sick, and how far it will spread from there. If people stuck to social distancing and wearing masks, the third wave should be relatively flat.

Singapore also closed borders around the same time, but they did not have strict social distancing measures or mask wearing, until this week. They had 191 new cases yesterday, mostly local.

The last 2 weeks in HK and SG told us quite a bit, and the next 2 weeks will tell us more. I just hope people are paying attention.

The main tool to flatten the curve is mask wearing in combination with border stoppage. If countries want to prevent a large second wave, they are going to need compulsory mask wearing in public, with similar social distancing they have now.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #3912

But what’s the alternative?

Open everything up? (Maybe possible with a huge amount of PPE available, but it’s not)

Send the under 40 crowd to work?

This is going to be a pretty big learning experience, hopefully we can be a little better prepared next time. Nurses and doctors are heroes. But it’s not because they are working through this, that is what they signed up for. It’s because they have to work through this without proper protective equipment. You can only hope the people responsible will be the ones taking the blame.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #3913

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
But what’s the alternative?

Open everything up? (Maybe possible with a huge amount of PPE available, but it’s not)

Send the under 40 crowd to work?

This is going to be a pretty big learning experience, hopefully we can be a little better prepared next time. Nurses and doctors are heroes. But it’s not because they are working through this, that is what they signed up for. It’s because they have to work through this without proper protective equipment. You can only hope the people responsible will be the ones taking the blame.
If any country is going to relax their Stay-At-Home orders, they are going to need to implement compulsory mask wearing. That means somehow get enough masks into the hands of people before doing so, or make the mask rules relaxed enough that any cover is allowed - even a t-shirt wrapped around your face.

Keep doing this until a proper vaccine is created. 1 year vaccine is wishful thinking IMO, and should NOT be rushed. The first SARS vaccine was abandoned after animal trials, in part because of funding but also it was absolutely destroying the lungs of the animals they were testing it on. I don't know if that means they would have had to go back to square one or what.

I've seen people say that early vaccines should be tested on healthcare workers, and that is literally the stupidest statement I've seen made regarding the virus, and that includes Trump.

So yeah... compulsory mask wearing for the next year or two until a vaccine is implemented

Either that, or this is just our new seasonal flu. Every year we just have to mask up to go out, and work from home becomes the norm for most people. This is a very real possibility.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #3914
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
COVID-19: City of Vancouver at risk of bankruptcy, says mayor

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-...-c19ee6fe284d/

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #3915
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
find that hard to believe when they use measuring tape for parking enforcement in kits and added meters in the residential side streets off fraser
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #3916

Thanked 10,136 Times in 3,626 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
If city of Vancouver is going bankrupt then it’s a complete mismanagement of their revenues. The mayor and councillors are either skimming off the top or getting screwed on the deals they are making.

Unionized employees don’t help but with the sheer amount of tax revenues I don’t see how they can possible be broke after just a few months.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #3917
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
they've been riding off 30-40 years of massive property tax gains...if they ran with even half-assed efficiency they shouldn't be at an insolvency risk within 3 months (article says they already laid off 1500)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #3918

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
officer Cain needs to step it up and get more noise complaint tickets parking outside car dealerships for the extra revenues ...
Old 04-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #3919

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Either that, or this is just our new seasonal flu. Every year we just have to mask up to go out, and work from home becomes the norm for most people. This is a very real possibility.
Personally I don't see that happening here. Maybe in Hong Kong they would consider it a normal thing to do but I really don't see BC implementing a 'mask wearing' season every year for good.

I can see strict measures until a proper vaccine is created but that really is the goal, get a vaccine and get back to the life we all know and love.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #3920

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Not sure if this was posted already, but apparently toolbox and zep brand blue shop towels filter nearly as well as N95.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...made-PPEs.html

Quote:
Schmepf said that they came up with a list of materials ranging from coffee filters and Swiffer dusting clothes, to window shades and even material used in aviation, oil refinery and the medical fields.

They then bought a $1,400 Grainger particulate-counter device capable of measuring filtration down to 0.3 microns.

N95 masks - which hospitals are desperately in need of - effectively block about 95 per cent of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger.

The designers found that lining a cotton mask with two blue shop towels enhanced the mask's filtration rate up to 93 per cent when it came to 0.3 micron-sized particles.

Cotton masks alone, they found, filtered only 60 per cent of those size particles, Schmepf told Business Insider.

The two brands they tested and recommended were ToolBox's shop towel and ZEP's industrial blue towel. The also tested Scott-brand shop towels, but found they weren't as effective for filtration as the other two brands.

They are still testing the other shop towel brands on the market.

During their general material testing, the women also identified another fabric with solid filtration capabilities - towels made from polypropylene, which is used to clean industrial machines.

According to their tests, the masks made from this material held 95 per cent of their filtration abilities for up to three machine washes, making them 'semi-disposable' masks.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #3921

Society would rather have people die than accept this as the “new norm”

It’s completely unrealistic to think this could be sustainable in the least. Everything from construction to elective surgeries being put on repeated, extended holds etc? It won’t happen. (Although as I type that I realize I didn’t take into full extent the viruses current state)

But I think If that’s what would happen the extent of the financial damage will be unimaginable.

For the vast majority of people the financial repercussions of this will be far worse than any human toll.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #3922

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Perhaps BC is also part of the Type A strain as the western US and that is partly why we have faired better than Ontario and Quebec who have Type B?

Thunderf00t explains how much of the population needs to adhere to quarantine measures for it to be successful and how import it is for money to be going to the middle class:
Old 04-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #3923

You know the world is in trouble when society can’t last 2 weeks without pay before going bankrupt. ��
Old 04-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #3924
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
COVID-19: City of Vancouver at risk of bankruptcy, says mayor

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-...-c19ee6fe284d/
Could always start by fining people not physical distancing
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #3925

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Personally I don't see that happening here. Maybe in Hong Kong they would consider it a normal thing to do but I really don't see BC implementing a 'mask wearing' season every year for good.

I can see strict measures until a proper vaccine is created but that really is the goal, get a vaccine and get back to the life we all know and love.
Hong Kong went through the same things with SARS. It wasn't normal then, and it didn't really become normal all of a sudden. Same as Japan, where mask wearing common even for "fashion" and simply keeping your face warm in the winter.

People adapt

Vaccine isn't automatic either. We have YEARLY vaccines for influenza which kills more people than C19, and does it every year, and it only reduces it by what, 30%?

The main thing we (may) have going with C19 is that it (may) not be seasonal (meaning it won't leap back and forth across hemispheres like influenza, staying alive and mutating every year)

Also a C19 vaccine (MAY) have potential to be used against all coronaviruses, including SARS and even the common cold.

It's all so up in the air, and we learn more every single day. There's no way to count on anything at this point. Just have to deal with it the best we can, day by day. For now that means stay home, and wear a mask if you have to go out. Wash your hands lots. Etc.