REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #4701
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Maybe wasn’t the best idea to open clubs where the entire reason for the place existing is getting in close contact with strangers?
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #4702
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
https://globalnews.ca/news/6925509/c...-navy-closing/

101 y/o Army & Navy permanently closed now.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #4703
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Wow that’s shitty. What a great place to get good deals on camping/fishing gear. I usually hit up the one in new west every so often
Old 05-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #4704
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,247 Times in 613 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
^ and getting my crabbing license every year.... welp....

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #4705
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap it was super crowded at Kits Beach this afternoon. We probably won't see phase 3 until new years!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0550.JPG (190.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by cafe22; 05-09-2020 at 04:40 PM.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #4706
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Interesting blog by a renowned virologist (edit: not just renowned, dude is legendary) who survived C19. Not all of us hear first hand experiences, we just see numbers and "old people" dying, assuming the people who don't fit into the "1% mortality rate" get away just fine. Check it out.

Quote:
Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control. That’s very unfair.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #4707
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Yeah the BBC did a story about young ppl who caught corona, they're classified as "fully recovered" but they're now burdened with chronic pain, fatigue, migraines, etc several weeks after recovering
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #4708
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Yeah the BBC did a story about young ppl who caught corona, they're classified as "fully recovered" but they're now burdened with chronic pain, fatigue, migraines, etc several weeks after recovering
So basically my life since I was 15
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #4709
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
People have been breaking the rules for sometime - it was particularly bad around Easter weekend. There wasn't much of a spike 2-3 weeks after that weekend. Also, the downtown eastside is pretty much a breeding ground for this virus, but despite people not being able to be physically distant, we haven't seen a significant spike in cases from the homeless population either.

People were out in full force at beaches and parks today, so we'll see what happens in 10-14 days. If the reported cases and hospitalizations remain stable, then maybe there's something to be said about being in the outdoors that significant mitigates community transmission.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #4710
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...ds-coronavirus

Beaches were packed...
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #4711
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #4712
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Even with shit like the daily hive etc can’t tell if they are just using stock images or what.

Not debating whether it was packed or wasn’t as it was beautiful and 25+ deg today but if you don’t have an actual image of today in your article it’s pointless
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #4713
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I'm not surprised. They really shouldn't have announced the 2-6 people rule until the day it went live. I already had friends asking to hang out because they thought it went into effect already. On top of that, I wouldn't want to hang out with 6 friends while I'm surrounded by a few hundred other people on a beach lol.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #4714

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I'm not surprised. They really shouldn't have announced the 2-6 people rule until the day it went live. I already had friends asking to hang out because they thought it went into effect already. On top of that, I wouldn't want to hang out with 6 friends while I'm surrounded by a few hundred other people on a beach lol.
The groups of 2-6 thing is like ... a family. Not 2-6 people all from different households.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #4715
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Yeah I think they made the distinction about being smart about it. If you want to see *the same* 5 or so friends that’s okay, but make it a close circle.

Not 5 friends tonight, then 5 work friends tomorrow, then 5 family members Monday, then 5 classmates Tuesday etc.

Make it the same group
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #4716

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The groups of 2-6 thing is like ... a family. Not 2-6 people all from different households.
Thats not the case. You could always see anyone in your household. Theres no stipulation that the people you see have to be of some sort of blood relation.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #4717

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Thats not the case. You could always see anyone in your household. Theres no stipulation that the people you see have to be of some sort of blood relation.
I know that. I meant two different households coming together (and still practising physical distancing and safe behaviour).

They still need to be able to trace cases.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #4718
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Let's see what the case count is in a week.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 PM   #4719
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 299 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Interesting blog by a renowned virologist (edit: not just renowned, dude is legendary) who survived C19. Not all of us hear first hand experiences, we just see numbers and "old people" dying, assuming the people who don't fit into the "1% mortality rate" get away just fine. Check it out.
So you're saying people who get hospitalized for severe pneumonia are more likely to have long term consequences? Who would've known.

Show some objective numbers vs subjective conjectures.
US CDC data from beginning of year to this week
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku

First column is deaths due to Covid, second is death from all causes. Guess what? You're minimum 20x more likely to die from something other than covid 19. Hey look, 80% of deaths are in the 65 and above bracket. Under 35 is 0.8%.

Guess what the fallout of the quarantine measures are? 30+ million unemployed in the US alone. From all time low unemployment to 14.6%. Canada lost two million jobs in april alone.

So stop using logical fallacies to make claims. Google appeal to authority. Hell a legendary white power ranger told me COVID19 is overrated. Give data on what percentage of hospitalized healthy adults have long term consequences. What are the absolute numbers?
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #4720
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I read it as a few friends or extended family, not restricted to just family.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #4721

STILL.

There seems to be a very small group of people who fail to perceive that the results we see now, compared to say Italy, Spain, and Wuhan, are a result of the strict measures that were enforced. The reason "you're minimum 20x more blah blah blah" is because the social distancing rules effectively prevented complete catastrophe. The projections of millions getting sick and hundreds of thousands dying are based on if nothing was done to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Thankfully not everyone in government is a complete idiot, so we were able to prevent these spikes from occurring in most cities. New York being an exception. Imagine if the rest of the country was like New York? People would be WISHING that their problems were merely unemployment. Jesus fuck.

You're basically saying "what we did worked, but since not many people got sick, we shouldn't have done it". It's easy to see a toddler making an argument like that, but come fucking on.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #4722
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
yep beaches were packed but distancing was still observed
some runners on seawall still whip by with only a few ft buffer though

what's pretty concerning are enclosed wet markets
granville island and crystal mall produce area (not to mention mostly cash transaction) should really be regulating capacity

went to the dealer parts counter and they're still asking signature with a pen after card machine ...it's <$100 please upgrade to nfc tap

Last edited by twitchyzero; 05-09-2020 at 10:33 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:18 AM   #4723
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
STILL.

There seems to be a very small group of people who fail to perceive that the results we see now, compared to say Italy, Spain, and Wuhan, are a result of the strict measures that were enforced. The reason "you're minimum 20x more blah blah blah" is because the social distancing rules effectively prevented complete catastrophe. The projections of millions getting sick and hundreds of thousands dying are based on if nothing was done to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Thankfully not everyone in government is a complete idiot, so we were able to prevent these spikes from occurring in most cities. New York being an exception. Imagine if the rest of the country was like New York? People would be WISHING that their problems were merely unemployment. Jesus fuck.

You're basically saying "what we did worked, but since not many people got sick, we shouldn't have done it". It's easy to see a toddler making an argument like that, but come fucking on.
I don't really think it's reasonable to say the measures have worked just based off what the projections were.
I read projections that Sweden would see 40000 deaths by May 1st if they continued their loose strategy, and they're only at 3200 as of today. Still a sizeable number for a country of 10 million. But nowhere near what was projected.
You really can't tell if something is working unless you have a point of reference.
Just saying.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:35 AM   #4724

People REALLY misunderstand the "loose strategy" used in Sweden

They still have social distancing and stuff like that. It's just more 'relaxed' - the gathering limit is 50 instead of 8, but it is "suggested" to keep it to a minimum. Most people go along with that. High Schools and colleges were still closed. They are still cautious, with social distancing and hand washing recommendations.

And on top of that, they have an extremely low population density - about the same as Vancouver Island (25 per Km2 - NYC, England, Hubei province, and Italy are about 10X that, Wuhan about 200X). The concern of overcrowded hospitals wasn't as dramatic as other places.

And on top of all that, they are benefiting from the lockdown at large in Europe. If nobody else locked down, they'd be just as fucked as everyone else. If everyone suddenly opened up and there was another wave, they'd be screwed.

If US or Canada tried to do what Sweden did, it would be an absolute disaster.

The measures have worked, because we're sitting here talking about it on the internet instead of seeing our parents get buried in mass graves. Places that weren't able to cope are doing that right now.

Maybe they were too drastic, but as someone said in this very thread, it's better to look back and say you overreacted, than it is to wish you had done more. What's really dumb is looking at the results of a successful strategy, and saying because it was so successful, it shouldn't have been done. It is mindblowing that there are people saying this, but again it's the toddler mentality that I just have to accept when I go online.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #4725
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,417 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Evidently the people screaming we've overreacted clearly don't have family members or relatives ill/dying/dead.

Easy to sit behind your keyboard or picket sign when it ain't you putting your family on the line. How about we trade your parents' lives so I can go get my haircut. Greater good right?

And scoffing at Sweden's "only 3k" deaths. That's more than died from 9/11 and we still hold vigils annually around the world for them to this day.