REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #4826
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts

Good twitter thread on what it's like to travel to Hong Kong right now. I don't know about Canada, but it's certainly more than just a questionnaire and then letting you go about your merry way

Full thread here
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #4827
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cse...ovid-1.5570134

Both CSIS and FBI have now issued warnings about China-backed hacking on COVID19 research.

Supercomputers doing COVID19 modelling and other research across Europe are also being taken offline to due to increasing number of cyber attacks.

Classic China.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #4828
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I love Filipino cover bands. They're so enthusiastic when they're performing
Where do you think Journey found their current lead singer? A Journey cover band... LOL
Old 05-15-2020, 02:49 AM   #4829
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Where do you think Journey found their current lead singer? A Journey cover band... LOL
We love our power ballads. hahhhahahha.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #4830
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 11 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post

Both CSIS and FBI have now issued warnings about China-backed hacking on COVID19 research.

Supercomputers doing COVID19 modelling and other research across Europe are also being taken offline to due to increasing number of cyber attacks.

Classic China.
Christ.. it's like, what is China's end game? Are they trying to steal the research so they can somehow take credit for creation of a vaccine, or are they trying to interrupt the research and delay Europe/USA from a vaccine. I'm not a military mind or anything, but it seems opportunistic obviously if they're purposely trying to "soften up" other state targets.

I can't imagine the Orange God is taking this well.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #4831
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:

Classic China.
Par for the course when it comes to world super powers. look at stuxnet.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #4832
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Par for the course when it comes to world super powers. look at stuxnet.
Similar in the sense that they were both cyber attacks yes. Similar in scope and damage to civilians? Not even close. That was military exercise focused on discouraging nuclear weapon research.

This, discourages and/or stops the entire world population from finding a way to combat a rampant virus that kills, civilians, regular people poor and rich. Like . Wat.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #4833
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
Just want to say our province (BC) is doing a great job. We're really fortunate to have Doc Bonnie at the helm. I questioned her initial strat of limited PCR testing and lack of draconian enforcement but her explanation makes a lot of sense and we're seeing positive results from data.

It really helps that majority of British Columbians are actually decent people and follows her order. Shout out to us.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #4834

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Similar in the sense that they were both cyber attacks yes. Similar in scope and damage to civilians? Not even close. That was military exercise focused on discouraging nuclear weapon research.

This, discourages and/or stops the entire world population from finding a way to combat a rampant virus that kills, civilians, regular people poor and rich. Like . Wat.
The CCP doesn't care about killing their own citizens to get ahead or save face, why would they care about killing civilians from other countries?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #4835
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser View Post
Christ.. it's like, what is China's end game? Are they trying to steal the research so they can somehow take credit for creation of a vaccine, or are they trying to interrupt the research and delay Europe/USA from a vaccine. I'm not a military mind or anything, but it seems opportunistic obviously if they're purposely trying to "soften up" other state targets.

I can't imagine the Orange God is taking this well.
Why dump money and resources into R&D when you can just conduct corporate espionage to steal IP like Huawei or any of China’s "homemade" military craft.

Last edited by buhdeh; 05-15-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #4836
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Just want to say our province (BC) is doing a great job. We're really fortunate to have Doc Bonnie at the helm. I questioned her initial strat of limited PCR testing and lack of draconian enforcement but her explanation makes a lot of sense and we're seeing positive results from data.

It really helps that majority of British Columbians are actually decent people and follows her order. Shout out to us.
I think she gets too much credit for leading the helm. It's a combination of her nurturing style and being in the right place at the right time. Our East Asian influence has a very large part in the success compared to East coast cities. Look at the outcomes from Asian countries vs. their western counterparts.

As soon as January hit, all Asian hot spots were a ghost town. Even Chinese New Years events were being cancelled by the Chinese community. Culturally, Asians have more of a "we" mentality vs. an "I" mentality valuing independence and freedom. Even from an eyes test, who are the ones religiously wearing face masks? Richmond has a third of the outbreak as the rest of Metro Vancouver, it certainly is not because Chinese people are glued to the TV waiting for Dr. Bonnie to come on.

I'm really glad that BC is coming out of this relatively unscathed. If Dr. Bonnie was the lead doctor in NY, the devastating results would have been the same.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #4837

Failed 64 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
I think she gets too much credit for leading the helm. It's a combination of her nurturing style and being in the right place at the right time. Our East Asian influence has a very large part in the success compared to East coast cities. Look at the outcomes from Asian countries vs. their western counterparts.

As soon as January hit, all Asian hot spots were a ghost town. Even Chinese New Years events were being cancelled by the Chinese community. Culturally, Asians have more of a "we" mentality vs. an "I" mentality valuing independence and freedom. Even from an eyes test, who are the ones religiously wearing face masks? Richmond has a third of the outbreak as the rest of Metro Vancouver, it certainly is not because Chinese people are glued to the TV waiting for Dr. Bonnie to come on.

I'm really glad that BC is coming out of this relatively unscathed. If Dr. Bonnie was the lead doctor in NY, the devastating results would have been the same.
This is the first I've heard that she gets too much credit. She's able to keep a sound mind, level head, and able to share the facts to the general public, without being overtly scientific, while still being compassionate.

There is a reason why not every doctor can just go out there and speak with the media; there is media training for every level of professionals, and media training in healthcare is no different. You have to have a proper balance of facts (that is backed up by science), being able to express in a way that people listen, and be calm and respectful to the public.

I don't listen to Trump talk much, but last week I listened to a speech of his. Then I listened to Dr. Henry and Adrian Dix speak. Night and Day difference.

East Asian influence, I'm gonna say straight up, is bullshit. I'm Chinese, lived in Vancouver all my life, born and raised. East Asian influence doesn't have anything to do with following the rules - to be blunt, take a look at any/all the Mainlanders who don't follow the rules in Canada. The only Asian culture that I can say that has a "we" more than "I" mentality, is Japanese culture. Chinese people are straight up selfish. Following the rules isn't from being East Asian, it's from general Canadian values of compassion, kindness, helping each other out, and not being a dick.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #4838
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
Richmond has a third of the outbreak as the rest of Metro Vancouver
Source? Not being a dick, I'd like to know. The health authorities specifically don't release regional information like this.

If you mean number of outbreaks, what do you expect? If the jail was in Richmond instead of Mission, Richmond would have the outbreak. That was happening no matter where the jail is located.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #4839

edit: don't waste your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
general Canadian values of compassion, kindness, helping each other out, and not being a dick.
I'm going to call bullshit on this, at least up here. The number of people putting zero effort in right now is fucking embarrassing.

edit: I will add thanks to those of you posting up about people who are doing things intelligently for reminding me not everyone is as clueless as my neighbours that currently have a dozen people watching a projector in their driveway.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 05-16-2020 at 08:08 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #4840
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
from general Canadian values of compassion, kindness, helping each other out, and not being a dick.
how you explain Ontario's situation then?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #4841

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
While that's all important for the position she's in, and improving the odds of people listening to her, it doesn't mean that how well things have been going in BC are a direct result of what she's done. Correlation vs causation and all that jazz.

I'm going to call bullshit on this, at least up here. The number of people putting zero effort in right now is fucking embarrassing.

edit: I will add thanks to those of you posting up about people who are doing things intelligently for reminding me not everyone is as clueless as my neighbours that currently have a dozen people watching a projector in their driveway.
For your first point on causation vs correlation, if you're going to be so specific, then I agree with you, HOWEVER, you are arguing semantics. If you are judging Dr. Henry's work by her live broadcasts alone, then yes, it is impossible to LITERALLY KNOW DIRECTLY as a result of what she has done, is improving the situation in BC (Because she's not imposing martial law or some other unrealistic, dictatorship type rules that force people to stay at home)

My response was to 1337 in him saying that it was because of "Asian cultural influence" being the main reason why the outbreak in BC has been relatively under control. I said that "Asian cultural influence" is bullshit. Do you agree with him that the relatively low outbreak is because of the "Asian cultural influence"?

For your second point, I haven't been around the entire Lower Mainland to give a fully accurate response. However, I will say, at least in my neighborhood in Burnaby, it's the response has been pretty good overall - people have been distancing and following the rules. And in general, Vancouver residents have been relatively sane and not doing crazy protest shit like the USA. From what I saw online, the 1st protest in Vancouver had 24 people, and the 2nd protest had about 100 people. That is a relatively small percentage compared to the entire population of the Lower Mainland. Yes, I have seen photos and everything about the parks/ Seawall and all the non-social-distancing.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2020, 11:29 PM   #4842

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Part of it is internal politics within their health authority division. I will leave it at that.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2020, 12:03 AM   #4843

For reference I'm in Kelowna, not the lower mainland, and it is whiter than a polar bears ass up here.

Quote:
My response was to 1337 in him saying that it was because of "Asian cultural influence" being the main reason why the outbreak in BC has been relatively under control. I said that "Asian cultural influence" is bullshit. Do you agree with him that the relatively low outbreak is because of the "Asian cultural influence"?
I certainly don't agree it's Asian culture given that most of the province outside the GVRD has a very small Asian population. Granted 3 of the 4 people I saw wearing masks when I picked up groceries today did appear to be Asian, however the other 20-30 people standing outside the store were white people with nothing. If it was purely Asian culture then the GVRD would be in decent shape and the rest of the province would be as bad as the rest of Canada but from what I've seen that isn't the case.

edit: don't waste your time with the rest.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 05-16-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #4844
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
I don't get why ppl are fascinated with her tbh, we're lucky the province isn't doing poorly, considering how things were handled, she's done nothing but parrot from the top down, imho we could be doing much better as a province /shrug
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #4845
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I think you guys should have a look at the disease control she’s been involved in throughout her career. Of course circumstance plays a role, but to think she hasn’t played a part in it is a claim that has no merit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #4846
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Not that she's done a bad job, but i would credit our much lower population density, compared to Montreal and Toronto, as a key factor.
Our temperate climate may be another factor. Maybe.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #4847
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I think both 1337 AND EndleSS8 are right. This is one of the most complex situations that our generation has faced with multiple complex factors and it is hard to make one generalization to explain the phenomenon.

Eg. if you say Asians are more 'we' than 'I', that is generally true but it is equally true that I can find examples of Asians who are selfish idiots. In other words, neither the claim that Asians are more communal thinking or Asians are selfish is totally true nor is it totally false. And this is but one factor in the whole mix of what is happening in BC.

You end up in fighting matches on forums, name calling, and stupid shit like Manic! and Welfare if you can only think in either/or categories, A or B, Libs or Con, Dr. Henry is the reason for BC'success, no she is not the reason for our success.

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #4848
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
What’s Ontario’s situation? They’re at ~350 cases per day which seems pretty good given the population. There are *suburbs* around Toronto that have higher population density than downtown Vancouver.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #4849
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post

You end up in fighting matches on forums, name calling, and stupid shit like Manic! and Welfare if you can only think in either/or categories, A or B, Libs or Con, Dr. Henry is the reason for BC'success, no she is not the reason for our success.
Classy.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #4850

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
What’s Ontario’s situation? They’re at ~350 cases per day which seems pretty good given the population. There are *suburbs* around Toronto that have higher population density than downtown Vancouver.
A large number of cases in Ontario are in private senior homes. Paying someone $13 an hour, only giving them part-time work so they have to work at multiple homes including ones in the states is just bad. In B.C. care aids make $20 plus. But hey they got buck a beer.