REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #5101
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I went to go get tested for COVID, but the test came back negative. It may have been a false negative. I've never had a flu last this long.

I've had a fever for almost 2 weeks, and lost 10lbs. I'm already a pinner. The first 5 days, my fever was a high (104.1F). I experienced fatigue, bad chills, and aches. My fever broke, but it still came back at 102.5F. I spent another 4 days with that. On Friday, it finally dropped below 100F. I also got my appetite back. Now, I'm waiting for the fever to completely go away. Today is the most normal I've felt in a long time.

Thank God, my wife didn't experience the severity of symptoms I had. She only had fatigue and a sore throat that came and went.

I have no idea where I picked up this illness, but I suspect it was at the Wendy's drive-thru a week prior to my symptoms. The one by the hwy 1 exit in Langley had zero-COVID protections at that time. No plexi-glass, no masks. The kitchen packed with employees.
Presto, you and your wife's symptoms gone now?
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #5102
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
My wife doesn't seem to have any symptoms, now. I have had a lingering low fever (99F - 100F) since last Sunday. It seems to be getting better since I'm able to sleep and not drench t-shirts in sweat, anymore.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #5103
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Uh oh............ I've had low temperatures for a while now. Never reaching normal. Must be the meds I'm on, 'cause I don't have any other symptoms whatsoever.

Dude (Presto), that sounds pretty scary........... it sounds you're one of the 85% that's going to recover from this.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #5104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
My wife doesn't seem to have any symptoms, now. I have had a lingering low fever (99F - 100F) since last Sunday. It seems to be getting better since I'm able to sleep and not drench t-shirts in sweat, anymore.
Glad to hear you're both doing well. Did you need anything from the outside world so that both of you can stay home? Groceries?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #5105
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Thanks for checking!

We had stocked up groceries a couple weeks before I got symptoms, and still had a 2 week supply. We also got a lot of family support. My mother-in-law would get groceries for us to cover the gaps in our supply. My mom cooked a few loads of food for us, and had my sister and her husband deliver it to us. We were quite blessed to not have to go out. Today, my temp is normal, but it could go up again. I haven't had sequential days of normal temps, yet. :P
Old 06-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #5106
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So Theresa Tam’s press conference a few days ago pretty much got buried but these stats mostly align with what she was saying, virtually 90% of the deaths in Canada from covid were located in retirement, long term, or acute care homes

Canada stats here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...update-eng.pdf

Some fairly telling stats that no one is seemingly rushing to report anymore

As of June 7th, 72% of the total covid deaths were people 80+

97% of deaths were found in people 60+

Again though, no media outlets have even touched on these numbers which are available to everyone on the Canadian govt. website.

On top of this all, as had been speculated before and shot down by arm chair “experts”

(Taken straight from the PDF linked)

“ Among the 189 hospitalized cases for which clinical presentation was reported, 143 (76%) reported having one or more pre-existing condition.”
Old 06-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #5107
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
it's stats like those that really make me feel the government needs to start relaxing some of the restrictions.

I was just a anxious and nervous as everyone else at the start of this but we need to be a little more realistic now. by no means am i saying open the boarders (even provincially) but lets get the restaurants and some entertain options open
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #5108
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So Theresa Tam’s press conference a few days ago pretty much got buried but these stats mostly align with what she was saying, virtually 90% of the deaths in Canada from covid were located in retirement, long term, or acute care homes

Canada stats here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...update-eng.pdf

Some fairly telling stats that no one is seemingly rushing to report anymore

As of June 7th, 72% of the total covid deaths were people 80+

97% of deaths were found in people 60+

Again though, no media outlets have even touched on these numbers which are available to everyone on the Canadian govt. website.

On top of this all, as had been speculated before and shot down by arm chair “experts”

(Taken straight from the PDF linked)

“ Among the 189 hospitalized cases for which clinical presentation was reported, 143 (76%) reported having one or more pre-existing condition.”
What accusation are you trying to make here? Your language infers it, but you're stopping short of actually saying it...

It seems like you're suggesting that there's a conspiracy among the media to hide the fact that old people are more susceptible to coronavirus? I thought it was pretty common knowledge after Italy though... I mean it's pretty much the main thing about the virus that pretty much everyone knows... We've argued about it here, because there are some people who think old people don't matter (I bet some of them are now saying "all lives matter" but hey...)

The way I see it, we have a lot more information now. What we've learned is that by locking down, we were able to 'flatten the curve' pretty well. So well, that "pretty much" only the most susceptible (people over 60) were the ones to die.

We did a good job. It cost a lot, but we prevented a lot of extra deaths.

And now people want to start opening up, the hopes being that the actions we took were not really necessary... I mean the virus is still going around, at a higher rate than ever before.

I agree that we could open up, carefully, with closed borders to areas still affected. Masks should be compulsory. The expectation should be there that a lockdown will once again be needed though. I think it'll be tough to get people to comply though, based on what I see here and people like Joe Rogan pushing the narrative that we never really needed to lock down in the first place (not realizing that BECAUSE of the lockdown we got out of the main peak better than we could have)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #5109
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What accusation are you trying to make here? Your language infers it, but you're stopping short of actually saying it...

It seems like you're suggesting that there's a conspiracy among the media to hide the fact that old people are more susceptible to coronavirus? I thought it was pretty common knowledge after Italy though... I mean it's pretty much the main thing about the virus that pretty much everyone knows... We've argued about it here, because there are some people who think old people don't matter (I bet some of them are now saying "all lives matter" but hey...)

Haha ZING. Nice one lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #5110
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,827 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I think the media doesn’t go out of their way to report these figures that basically suggest if you are under 50 and die of Covid you might as well have won the Lotto Max.

Also, as I said, Theresa Tam in her press conference said that almost all Covid Deaths happened in long term care homes, literally the most vulnerable, ill, portion of the population.

I think the underlying issue here that no one in the govt. will likely have the balls to touch is that if there was accurate information out of China, proper steps could have been taken to enact a hybrid-type system somewhere in between Canada and Sweden where people’s livelihoods weren’t wiped out in 3 months time.

It’s pretty obvious when you step back and look at global numbers relative to the average age of the population that the older the population is, the harder they get hit.

India has slums the size of Metrotown with the population of Vancouver and Surrey combined living within them. However, their curve is following the typical trend of the rest of the world with probably some of the worst access to health care for the general populous. However, the average age of the population is only 29, where as in Italy it’s 45.

The rich get richer while the poor become destitute over what many assumed from the start. The general population is largely unaffected by the virus. Lockdown measures banning incredibly large gatherings obviously helped in transmission but keeping virtually everyone home who would likely be able to go about their regular lives regardless of the circumstances If basic PPE and social distancing was observed.

And yea, I get it, it was all about keeping the healthcare system from being over run, but by those numbers released and the fact that an incredibly small about of people ever even made it to the ICU it was likely well overboard in its planning because of the pathetic data sharing amongst nations that could have helped the most.

I also find it somewhat amusing that people are so outraged with the George Floyd murder (rightly so) however no one has ever said a peep about a privatized industry in senior health care that essentially let THOUSANDS of people to die laying in their own shit because poor procedures and an unregulated industry that was a direct result of govt. oversight.

But hey, we care about those old people!
Old 06-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #5111
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
it's stats like those that really make me feel the government needs to start relaxing some of the restrictions.

I was just a anxious and nervous as everyone else at the start of this but we need to be a little more realistic now. by no means am i saying open the boarders (even provincially) but lets get the restaurants and some entertain options open
Look at how many states are just getting hammered now since reopening. Many are experiencing higher peaks now than they were in April.

We’re in a good position now, but if it gets rushed, we’ll still get fucked.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #5112
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
curious to see the numbers few weeks after the protests began
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #5113
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
First day back at the gym, feels good to get a proper workout in. People seemed to be doing a good job wiping everything down and keeping their distance.
Kind of sucks making an appointment because the hours they offer have me sitting around the house for an hour after work which really kills the motivation but it's better than nothing.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #5114
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
make an appt before work
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #5115

I start work at 530am so that's a no go lol
Old 06-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #5116
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I start work at 530am so that's a no go lol
Have you considered Anytime Fitness? They're open 24/7 and have shower facilities so you could work out at any time of the day, shower, and go home or work.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Have you considered Anytime Fitness? They're open 24/7 and have shower facilities so you could work out at any time of the day, shower, and go home or work.
I haven't really looked into it since before Covid I liked my gym but we'll see how it goes, there's an Anytime Fitness pretty close to my house
Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #5118
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
curious to see the numbers few weeks after the protests began
It's going to go up. It's already been going up in California and places where people have been protesting against the virus itself, and going out to the beach, not following social distancing

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #5119
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The biggest thing about those places is the numbers weren't low enough for that to be a reasonable decision. Community transmission tells you what's likely, and they didn't wait for community transmission to drop to a level where a reduction in the safety protocols made sense. They were like "ok we waited a bit, fuck it," basically.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #5120
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,688 Times in 2,320 Posts
Failed 997 Times in 240 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for checking!

We had stocked up groceries a couple weeks before I got symptoms, and still had a 2 week supply. We also got a lot of family support. My mother-in-law would get groceries for us to cover the gaps in our supply. My mom cooked a few loads of food for us, and had my sister and her husband deliver it to us. We were quite blessed to not have to go out. Today, my temp is normal, but it could go up again. I haven't had sequential days of normal temps, yet. :P
can I have your steam account if shit goes down? lol all jokes aside hope u make a full speedy recovery before summer starts
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #5121
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts

Edit: What's the group social distancing limit at for BC? ON is at no more than 5 people while maintaining social distancing, but that's getting increased to 10 people on Friday.

Last edited by TOS'd; 06-10-2020 at 08:23 AM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #5122
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
heard about that last night....that's going to really make the government question moving to phase 3

the thought would be; if you can't be close to family how are they going to allow us to be close strangers
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #5123
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Yeah It feels that I’m in the minority when I say we’re opening up way too soon
Old 06-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #5124
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I haven't really looked into it since before Covid I liked my gym but we'll see how it goes, there's an Anytime Fitness pretty close to my house
I was thinking of cancelling my Anytime Fitness membership since there's so much non-sexual heavy breathing, sweat, small indoor spaces, and shared touching of equipment.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #5125
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
the thought would be; if you can't be close to family how are they going to allow us to be close strangers
Apparently, there were family and 'outsiders' ... by that I take it to mean some friends outside family so it was a bit larger than just extended family. But regardless, this example is concerning.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: