REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #5126
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
How is that any different than going anywhere else though? Literally any store, service, etc you’re likely to come into far more contact in those places than a gathering like that

Also how many tested positive and how many were asymptomatic?
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #5127
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
How is that any different than going anywhere else though? Literally any store, service, etc you’re likely to come into far more contact in those places than a gathering like that

Also how many tested positive and how many were asymptomatic?
I can only assume people are far more relaxed at a family gathering. Eating/sitting together, close contact, no masks. Versus going shopping I’m keeping all distance + sanitizing+ hand washing etc.

Just assuming but I’d feel most people (myself included) would be more relaxed around family. If one person is sick, way easier to pass it
Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #5128
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Family gathering = long time together, a couple of hours?
The length of time in contact with someone who is Covid positive is a big factor. Most strangers, you just walk by.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #5129
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
This question came up in a group chat recently regarding the 5-person gathering limit, Ontario specific. People in the group chat were looking to hangout at a park, however there is a 5 person limit:

- Physical distancing by-law stats that all people must keep two meters of distance between themselves and people they don't live with while in public.

- All residents are prohibited from gathering in groups of more than five (with the exception of families who live together)

So say you have a group of 5 people, from 3 different households. Couple, Couple, Single. These 3 groups are 2m apart from each other at a park. This conforms.

Now, another group of 5 people (they do not know the people from the first group), again from 3 different households. Couple, Couple, Single. These 3 groups are also 2m apart from each other. However, one person from this group is 2m apart from someone in the first group of 5. This technically conforms.

Now if you add another person to one of the groups of 5 people, sitting 2m away from the nearest person from that group. This now makes it a gathering of 6 people, which is now over the limit of 5. So now technically not allowed?

How does that differ from having someone 2m from you that is apart of a different group?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #5130
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
The difference is that the people in the gathering are speaking moistly to one another and the 2 separate gatherings that happen to be 2m apart are not.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #5131

It’s more than 5 people in BC now anyways isn’t it?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #5132

Thanked 1,810 Times in 935 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
heard about that last night....that's going to really make the government question moving to phase 3

the thought would be; if you can't be close to family how are they going to allow us to be close strangers
Yea but we don't know the circumstances of this gathering. Because they felt close and comfortable were things shared? Was food done buffet style? Was there hugging and hand shaking? Were people lazy on washing hands? Or put it this way, did this group of people act in the same manner that they would have if they were at a gathering with 30 strangers? I'm going to assume no but it's purely a guess of course. While I think expanded bubbles are a go you still have to practice all the good habits you've developed regardless of who you are with.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #5133

On friday we had 7 people over all from different households etc but we were able to social distance in our yard to have some beers and food

Before anyone came over we thoroughly cleaned the house, wiped down everything with lysol wipes and then told everybody weve got hand sanitizer at the front door as well as in the bathroom if need be (only had to go inside because of the bathroom)

Gets a little trickier to remember to be cautious when you've got 8 beers in ya but still think we did a decent job at controlling touch points and whatnot
Old 06-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #5134
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #5135
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
I was thinking of cancelling my Anytime Fitness membership since there's so much non-sexual heavy breathing, sweat, small indoor spaces, and shared touching of equipment.
so you'd keep your membership if there was sexual heavy breathing?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #5136
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
so you'd keep your membership if there was sexual heavy breathing?
Isn't that why they have washrooms and showers in there?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #5137
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Isn't that why they have washrooms and showers in there?
My gym closed washrooms and showers. They try to limit workout spaces to 1 person per zone and 35 people max. I still see groups or 2-4 people working out together on the deadlift platforms, no one wiping down equipment. People spitting on their hands / using their own chalk. Spray bottles empty, no paper towels. They used caution/police tape to section off certain machines. People will move the tape and still workout. Staff standby watching or working out themselves. I made a comment and they scoffed at me.

Im going back to the staff gym at the hospital which actually seems cleaner. The other gym above also made a comment about the community supporting a local business and their upkeep when I asked about putting my membership on hold because I work in the hospital.

I'm curious to see how the next couple of weeks to months plays out.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #5138
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
I haven't seen my immediate family or friends since March and I kind of want to keep it that way for now.

My immediate family and spouse/SO want to all meet up since we haven't seen each other in so long. They're proposing ideas like hot pot and/or dim sum. I feel kind of pressured to not be a dick and say no, but I really don't think it's a good idea...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #5139
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I haven't seen my immediate family or friends since March and I kind of want to keep it that way for now.

My immediate family and spouse/SO want to all meet up since we haven't seen each other in so long. They're proposing ideas like hot pot and/or dim sum. I feel kind of pressured to not be a dick and say no, but I really don't think it's a good idea...
Meet up, sure if there haven't been cases in a while, meet up carefully... But hot pot is such a bad idea lol
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #5140

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
How many of you were tested? I went in the other day and holy crap that’s uncomfortable. Lol. My nose started bleeding and felt it for hours after. She was really trying to find some gold.

Symptoms felt like allergies but extreme. My normal medicine wasn’t working, and I also had an actual sore throat and asthma type symptoms during a run (which I’ve felt once or twice in my life). After swabbing me the doctor prescribed a nasal steroid for which my wife picked up. All symptoms went away. Lol screw you PoCo and your weird ass cotton fluffy things. Test was negative and now I have to get the blood out of my clothes from the roadside Corona test. Haha.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #5141
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiguru View Post
My gym closed washrooms and showers. They try to limit workout spaces to 1 person per zone and 35 people max. I still see groups or 2-4 people working out together on the deadlift platforms, no one wiping down equipment. People spitting on their hands / using their own chalk.
WHAT THE FUCK!??! You need to call city bylaw officers on these idiots. Who even does this during normal times in a public gym?

This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #5142
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Meet up, sure if there haven't been cases in a while, meet up carefully... But hot pot is such a bad idea lol
Yeah, suggest a BBQ instead. Outside. 2 outbreaks of 15+ people now in the Fraser Health region due to "family gatherings"

This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #5143

Thanked 1,810 Times in 935 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
How many of you were tested? I went in the other day and holy crap that’s uncomfortable. Lol. My nose started bleeding and felt it for hours after. She was really trying to find some gold.

Symptoms felt like allergies but extreme. My normal medicine wasn’t working, and I also had an actual sore throat and asthma type symptoms during a run (which I’ve felt once or twice in my life). After swabbing me the doctor prescribed a nasal steroid for which my wife picked up. All symptoms went away. Lol screw you PoCo and your weird ass cotton fluffy things. Test was negative and now I have to get the blood out of my clothes from the roadside Corona test. Haha.
Lol i'd have to get my entire car detailed then if I went. My nose bleeds easily in that regard and when I bleed it pours like literally and takes a while to stop. Would have looked like a murder scene after I'm done.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #5144
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
van tennis club is open but.. so many rules
-must bring own balls
-no showers
-can't use ball machine
-no ping pong
STILL have to pay membership fees.. but with -20% discount, no eating allowed yet...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #5145

Yea my gym reponened and only with booked time slots and you can only stay in one area of the gym while you’re in your time slot

Also reduced opening from 6am to 7am so basically eliminates me working out in the morning :/
Old 06-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #5146

Thanked 7,575 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
van tennis club is open but.. so many rules
-must bring own balls
-no showers
-can't use ball machine
-no ping pong
STILL have to pay membership fees.. but with -20% discount, no eating allowed yet...
I don't see what the issue is here. The safety measures in place are reasonable, and you are getting a discount. What are you complaining about?

Unless I've misconstrued the tone of your post, in which case I retract the statement.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #5147

Man, people are fucked lol.. you know it’s bad when it’s ME trying to be the most conscious of the situation lol..

Went into JJ bean on Hastings in Burnaby and it was packed, tones of people sitting inside and lots of people waiting in line. Probably 6-7 people over 75, no masks.

One of the oldest guys in the place kinda looped around me to lineup and was right over my shoulder essentially under a foot apart, I basically turned around right in his face and gave him the bro????!?! Look

Was ready to say fuck, it’s your funeral bud.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #5148
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Seems like:

Coronavirus over guys. Thankyou Next.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #5149
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,185 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Seems like:

Coronavirus over guys. Thankyou Next.
Very true, meanwhile they're seeing spikes throughout the US.

It's very odd how COVID was the center of the universe for the last number of months, and heck I figured it would totally be part of our lexicon going forward, and yet it's completely disappeared as a concern for most.

I think a lot of that is due to the media no longer bombarding us with COVID stories on a daily basis. Now that the news has shifted to George Floyd, among other issues, COVID has become passe.

It shows you how much power the media has in terms of an utter control over how we think, what we engage in, and what's the main focus.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #5150
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
The problem is the social distancing and lockdowns worked, but for some reason a lot of people interpreted that as "it was never a problem to begin with"

I'm not even talking about the weird deniers we had in this thread from the start.. There were many people who were legit concerned about it at first are now totally flippant about it (Joe Rogan and Elon Musk being the most public examples)

It's an interesting phenomenon, I'd love to read about the psychology on why this happens. Part of it I think is that these public examples influence a lot of people.

So the first big peak has passed us by, but some places are still going up, including California as you saw in the graph I posted the other day. Worldwide, there are actually more daily cases than ever before. But people are "over it" now.

You could show them a chart from the Spanish Flu, showing the first peak wasn't that big but the second one - when the strain had weakened so it stopped killing young healthy people - was much, much worse, eventually killing almost 3% of the world's population. But people are "over it" now. Tired of thinking about it I guess.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: