REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #501
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Lol I don’t get these news reports and anchors trying to emphasize about singling out Chinese over corona and stigmaziting the Chinese because of it

It started in China, it was Chinese people eating bats that started it, it spread in China to the point we see it at today, and the Chinese govt. tried to cover it up and downplay the severity of it. It’s very much a “Chinese” thing lol
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #502
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol I don’t get these news reports and anchors trying to emphasize about singling out Chinese over corona and stigmaziting the Chinese because of it

It started in China, it was Chinese people eating bats that started it, it spread in China to the point we see it at today, and the Chinese govt. tried to cover it up and downplay the severity of it. It’s very much a “Chinese” thing lol
This is the case where "politically correct" has actual use and is not a punchline. It's not politically correct to name a virus after people or a place (or animals). WHO stopped doing it after MERS.

It was colloquially called Wuhan Coronavirus at first for obvious reasons, but media now calls it by its proper politically correct name, 2019 New (or Novel) Coronavirus or 2019 nCoV

If someone still calls it "Wuhan Virus" or whatever, and aren't in the press, I don't think that's a problem. Maybe don't do it though. Regardless of if you think someone is a "snowflake" for bringing it up, why not just be sensitive to people? It makes the world a better place overall. Press needs to be professional though, and should not call it by its colloquial name.

I don't think it's a "huge deal" and I don't think normal people are making a "huge deal" out of it. There is definitely some anti-US propaganda going around China, complaining that H1N1 outbreak wasn't called "American Virus" (it actually started in Mexico btw). Absolutely people were calling it "American Swine Flu" around the world and "Swine Flu" in America and elsewhere. It's such a dumb argument to use though, fighting xenophobia with your own xenophobia

Anyway my thought is, if people are saying they don't like it when you call something that, why not just call it something else? Does it hurt to do that? Who is actually the snowflake?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #503
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
it's a tabloid-format print, they're not gonna put 2019-nCoV in bold letters front page

the formal nomenclature itself isn't even finalized because it's still so new

the fact that it's even debated just puts everything into perspective
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
it's a tabloid-format print, they're not gonna put 2019-nCoV in bold letters front page

the formal nomenclature itself isn't even finalized because it's still so new

the fact that it's even debated just puts everything into perspective
I see some places simply calling it "Coronavirus" which at this time everyone knows what it means, despite it being technically inaccurate.

HKFP dropped "Wuhan" from the name after one complaint on twitter. So while they don't call it by its official name (which is not at all reader or SEO friendly) they did accommodate the naming convention.

I think it's good to debate stuff like this. Let's get better at considering the feelings of others!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #505
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Apparently Dr. Li is still alive, barely. They reportedly have restarted his heart and have him on ECMO (artificial lung)

Fucking tragic if this man dies.
What is the source on this. Chinese social media is exploding over this. The internet police is on overtime right now.

People are starting to realize the what happened when their rights on infringe on by a government that is always “right”
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
What is the source on this. Chinese social media is exploding over this. The internet police is on overtime right now.

People are starting to realize the what happened when their rights on infringe on by a government that is always “right”
Mind you it has been 11 hours since these tweets:

\

UPDATE: He died a few hours after this. What a shame

Old 02-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #507

Wuhan police “letter of reprimand” to Li Wenliang: translation and analysis

Quote:
This is an odd document for a couple of reasons — so much so that I first wondered if it might be fake, but I then discovered that Li had presented the document himself to Caixin. But look at the language: instead of the usual formal style of official documents, we have exclamation marks in what reads more like a transcript of a police officer barking at a suspect: “听明白了吗? Have you got that?” The document is suffused with the language of offended Authority scolding a wayward and insufficiently obedient subject.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #508
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 286 Times in 94 Posts
danned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 PM   #509

My gym now checks your temperature before letting you in... Good thing I passed

Saw a huge line of old people outside a Circle K. Turns out they gave away 10,000 masks to people over 65. Only one each, but people still lined up. Many are using them for several days, even though really you shouldn't use one for more than a couple hours.

They have been producing them at the prison 24 hours a day for a while now, I wonder where they are ending up? Certainly not in HK citizens' hands.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #510
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 722 Times in 154 Posts
my heart outs to all those effect and as well as all the medical personal working, but sadly it doesn’t go out to ignorance which applies mostly to the government for not learning anything from SARS cuz all of this could have been prevented

Also friend bought a bunch of mask and he ask me to hand them out for free instead of donating them, he doesn’t want ppl buying used mask or buying over price masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 02-06-2020 at 11:56 PM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #511

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
Quote:
My gym now checks your temperature before letting you in... Good thing I passed

Saw a huge line of old people outside a Circle K. Turns out they gave away 10,000 masks to people over 65. Only one each, but people still lined up. Many are using them for several days, even though really you shouldn't use one for more than a couple hours.

They have been producing them at the prison 24 hours a day for a while now, I wonder where they are ending up? Certainly not in HK citizens' hands.
I only have less than one box of masks sharing with 7 people at home...only one person can go out and buy food and the mask has to be reused at least 1-2 days. It has been like this for 2 weeks or so.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I only have less than one box of masks sharing with 7 people at home...only one person can go out and buy food and the mask has to be reused at least 1-2 days. It has been like this for 2 weeks or so.
I should be getting some soon and will have some to spare if you need (if they actually ever show up). DM me if you're serious!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #513
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
my heart outs to all those effect and as well as all the medical personal working, but sadly it doesn’t go out to ignorance which applies mostly to the government for not learning anything from SARS cuz all of this could have been prevented
You mean high population density, poor controls and limits on animal-human interaction and wet markets are not breeding grounds for virus's that could wipe out humanity? This won't be the last disease coming out of china....
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #514
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Wife's friend who works as a driver for the Beijing train were given one mask every 10 days or longer. WTF good thing the in laws have a bunch of mask (boxes) left over form last year when the pollution was really bad they had to use them. So they give him some.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #515
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
If they had done that, someone would be posting an article saying "China ignores company's copyright and steals their work to create and sell counterfeit drugs"

Can't win man. Also I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the copyright application in this case... I don't believe there's any intention to make money off their own citizens in this case.
That is partly true

but after the emergency situation, will the institute hand the patent over to Gilead in China?

What i can see is, there will be two version of Remdesivir from different region and it's just going to be a chaos like other trademark issues (Best example is New Balance).

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #516
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
I should be getting some soon and will have some to spare if you need (if they actually ever show up). DM me if you're serious!
How much are the N95 masks selling for nowadays? Theres actually better, possibly cheaper alternatives out there that I would use over theses masks especially over in China/HK
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #517
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
they were selling for 5.99 at crappy tire on cambie and broadway today. Do have to check which n95 it is.
Regular dusk mask at 4.99.

If this ever happened in USA, they would never name this as Seattle/ new york/ texas virus.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #518
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,688 Times in 2,320 Posts
Failed 997 Times in 240 Posts
my buddys going to HK this weekend and packed a suitcase full of different type of masks for his family which is the only thing his family requested lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
How much are the N95 masks selling for nowadays? Theres actually better, possibly cheaper alternatives out there that I would use over theses masks especially over in China/HK
Not sure about N95, but regular masks are about 10X normal price.

A friend gathered orders for a bunch of people, and ordered tons of masks online in Japan right when this started, so we were able to get them for normal price. I ordered some extras in case I needed to give some out. We'll have to go get them once they make it to Hong Kong - we're not going to trust a freight forwarder so we'll pick it up ourselves (and be very careful, I can see someone trying to rob us if they are desperate enough)

You don't need N95 anyway; you just need to keep peoples' cough juice out of your face if you come across someone coughing.

Keeping hands clean is the most important
Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #520
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 9 Times in 2 Posts
better safe than sorry...

SFU_wmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #521

If that person has a compromised immune system, they may not have a choice but to use that
Old 02-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #522
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
I would use that without the virus. tired of rubbing shoulders

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #523
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Wtf is that? It looks like a ball pit for toddlers.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #524

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
Quote:
Staying at home is much safer than walking around, I will wait until the mask supplies are more stable and more reasonable priced. A rioter friend gave me a 3M tear gas mask with a dozen of N95 filters just in case someone in the family needs to go to hospital.

It is unknown who is infected around you. Better stay indoor.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #525
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Staying at home is much safer than walking around, I will wait until the mask supplies are more stable and more reasonable priced. A rioter friend gave me a 3M tear gas mask with a dozen of N95 filters just in case someone in the family needs to go to hospital.

It is unknown who is infected around you. Better stay indoor.
LOL just walk by the police station and its a free ride to the hospital

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote