REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #5676
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Haha ... rules are for peasants, politicians just make them.
Advertisement
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #5677
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Yeah, it's too bad. I liked his posts too. They were from someone actually in the medical field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Banning peeps with constructive discussion, rock on Revscene..
I stayed quiet about half of the garbage he was posting. There are situations from time to time where a medical professional will say incorrect things and twdm did this multiple times and never once admitted he was wrong in any sort of way. A medical professional who is unable to admit being wrong is incredibly dangerous in our field. The sheer arrogance in his erroneous posts was honestly just infuriating to read many times but luckily lots of you have educated yourselves enough to see where he was wrong.

Off the top of my head (and you can go back and read his comments), he stated from the beginning that this is just another flu. He was clearly wrong and months later only offered a "that's obvious now" reply.

He brushed off the higher R0 value (how infectious this virus is) even though every single pharmacist I've talked to understands that it is exponentially higher than your regular flu.

He claimed that health care professionals are speaking from their high horse in terms of how to handle the spread because it doesn't affect our pocketbooks but as soon as it was convenient for another argument he placed himself and his parents on that exact same pedestal.

He argued that we shouldn't be spending so much money on "people who are going to die in 5 years anyways". He's talking about people who have contributed to our society and contributed tax dollars for longer than he's been alive or bare minimum, longer than he's been a healthcare worker. They have every right to be protected and we (especially as healthcare providers!) have every responsibility to do so.

He tried to argue that don't even spend this much money on cancer treatment. I can tell you first hand that this argument is bullshit. Also, if he doesn't care about people who are going to die in 5 years, why bother with cancer patients then? His logic makes no sense. There are treatments in the cancer clinic I work in that can be as expensive as $15,000-$20,000+ per treatment and that's every 2-3 weeks. Even with the "cheaper" treatments we've seen patients go through 100+ cycles (repeating every 2 weeks). Do the math, that's YEARS we've added to these patient's lives. I'm pretty damn sure they appreciate it. We've had countless families express their gratitude to our staff for any extra time we were able to give to their loved ones; even if it was only a year or less.

I'm sure there's more but I digress. His posts weren't as great as some of you seem to think. There's obviously a segment of you who like to debate the other side of things even when you know it's most likely wrong. You simply want to hear an opposing view just for the sake of argument.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #5678
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Weird hey?! There’s this other infectious thing I’ve heard about too. Slips my mind though
I'll give you that one
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #5679

Quote:
God he’s such a fucking clown.
If you knew the level of corruption in his group, your head would spin.

A friend of mine is a director in the Vancouver Economic Commission, and reports directly to the mayor.

I bet none of you had heard about VEC CEO Catherine Warren stepping down after her "contract" winded up with the VEC back in February 2020.

Her contract didn't end, and there's a reason why she wasn't retained. Internally they found that she had been embezzling funds to her private company from the city of Vancouver, up to roughly $1 million was stolen.

The city decided to let her go, rather than pursuing those funds, and going public with the theft. Now the VEC has a major budget shortfall as a result of her theft.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...erine-warren-2

You won't hear a single new article about this because it's been entirely covered up, and she'll continue on with her golden parachute to another high level position for another organization.

Can you imagine if any of us here stole upwards of $1 million from a company? What blows my is how the media was not been informed about this, it truly makes me wonder the level of corruption that is going on at the local level here in this city and province.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #5680
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post

I'm sure there's more but I digress. His posts weren't as great as some of you seem to think. There's obviously a segment of you who like to debate the other side of things even when you know it's most likely wrong. You simply want to hear an opposing view just for the sake of argument.
If there were no opposing views, our health officials would still be saying masks are dangerous, or that border/travel restrictions cause more harm than good.

Personally, I never said I agreed with anything he was saying. In fact, I pretty much agree with everything you said in the above post. I just don't agree that banning members you believe are wrong, or disagree with, is ultimately helpful.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #5681
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
tbh I thought moonbeam was still mayor
That's cause he has done absolutely fuck all as the Mayor of Vancouver
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #5682
i like gifs

B.C. doctor heads to court to demand mandatory mask rules

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5659495

This should've happened a long fucking time ago. None of this pussyfooting around we "recommend" masks bullshit.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #5683
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

A friend of mine is a director in the Vancouver Economic Commission, and reports directly to the mayor.

I bet none of you had heard about VEC CEO Catherine Warren stepping down after her "contract" winded up with the VEC back in February 2020.

Her contract didn't end, and there's a reason why she wasn't retained. Internally they found that she had been embezzling funds to her private company from the city of Vancouver, up to roughly $1 million was stolen.

The city decided to let her go, rather than pursuing those funds, and going public with the theft. Now the VEC has a major budget shortfall as a result of her theft.

You won't hear a single new article about this because it's been entirely covered up, and she'll continue on with her golden parachute to another high level position for another organization.

Can you imagine if any of us here stole upwards of $1 million from a company? What blows my is how the media was not been informed about this, it truly makes me wonder the level of corruption that is going on at the local level here in this city and province.
Sounds like your friend should do the right thing and drop a hot tip... everyone clowned Bolton for not stepping up and speaking out... but so many others would also choose their own job over the “right thing” I guess...
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #5684
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:

Fucking Christ, if your friend doesn't want to lose his job why don't you leak it to the media? WoW.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #5685
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
God he’s such a fucking clown.
Don't forget he's responsible for the VI situation due to his promise to "crack down on excessively noisy vehicles"
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #5686
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Fucking Christ, if your friend doesn't want to lose his job why don't you leak it to the media? WoW.
Quite a few local press members lurk here (at least they used to) so that post might have been the leak you're looking for
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #5687
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Uhg..fucking idiot friend/acquaintance had a massive baby shower over the weekend, people from all over the place came no masks no social distancing now people feeling sick and getting tested

Ffs people are so incredibly stupid..
Old 07-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #5688
linguistic ninja

Where do these people live?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #5689

Surrey
Old 07-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #5690
i like gifs

Quote:
Surrey
This is such low hanging fruit
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #5691

You wouldn’t believe.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #5692
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Hopefully we don't become the state of Victoria in australia (where Melbourne is) their #s shot up to 300-500 daily cases and they've been back on lockdown
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #5693
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Hopefully we don't become the state of Victoria in australia (where Melbourne is) their #s shot up to 300-500 daily cases and they've been back on lockdown
How bad has it been there? Haven't seen much in the news lately. I know it is winter time for them so that is what we can look forward to.

How is Brazil doing as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5694
linguistic ninja

Melbourne's still at it....

Can't really say it's due to seasonal though as the rest of Australia is still doing OK. Apparently it can all be traced back to quarantined travellers having sex with their guards, who then brought it back to their large immigrant families, who then in turn held large Eid (end-of-Ramadan) parties.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 07-24-2020 at 09:23 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5695
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 84 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:

This does not surprise me at all. My line of work involves internal/external audits and I have previously discovered many individuals stealing literally millions of dollars from the government revenue. Because of headaches/costs/bad publicity/logistic nightmare, the government body rarely ever go after the money. They rather just fire/ban the individuals than charge them with theft.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #5696
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 84 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
How bad has it been there? Haven't seen much in the news lately. I know it is winter time for them so that is what we can look forward to.

Brazil is on the par if not worse than USA. Their president just tested positive for the 3rd time COVID19. He's still alive and kicking... and is still claiming that COVID19 is just mere little flu.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #5697

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
This does not surprise me at all. My line of work involves internal/external audits and I have previously discovered many individuals stealing literally millions of dollars from the government revenue. Because of headaches/costs/bad publicity/logistic nightmare, the government body rarely ever go after the money. They rather just fire/ban the individuals than charge them with theft.
I was shocked as well when he told me the city wasn't pursuing her for the funds, as to put a case together would cost them litigation fees and the negative external optics which they were trying to avoid. So they essentially made her walk, and kept it hush hush.

The VEC is a relatively small sector of the City of Vancouver, upwards of $1 million is nothing to scoff at. My friend is especially choked as this whole thing has totally ruined their initiatives for this year due to budgetary reasons. I'm surmising this hasn't came out to the press due to small size of the VEC's team.

I'm blown away by the privilege this woman can have though. Nothing on her record criminally, not even a mark on her employment record, she'll coast off to another position somewhere else with little consequence.

It shows the stark contrast in terms of the consequences and penalties between those who steal from their employer on the entry/lower level, as opposed to the executive level.

It's truly amazing how little we know as a populace in terms of what's going on in our elected governments.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #5698
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,600 Times in 864 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
I was shocked as well when he told me the city wasn't pursuing her for the funds, as to put a case together would cost them litigation fees and the negative external optics which they were trying to avoid. So they essentially made her walk, and kept it hush hush.

The VEC is a relatively small sector of the City of Vancouver, upwards of $1 million is nothing to scoff at. My friend is especially choked as this whole thing has totally ruined their initiatives for this year due to budgetary reasons. I'm surmising this hasn't came out to the press due to small size of the VEC's team.

I'm blown away by the privilege this woman can have though. Nothing on her record criminally, not even a mark on her employment record, she'll coast off to another position somewhere else with little consequence.

It shows the stark contrast in terms of the consequences and penalties between those who steal from their employer on the entry/lower level, as opposed to the executive level.

It's truly amazing how little we know as a populace in terms of what's going on in our elected governments.
For an entry/lower level employee who wants to steal small bucks, they will be the only one to know of it until they get caught.

For an executive level person stealing that kind of money, more than one pair of eyes must have been turned to allow that to happen.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #5699
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Speaking of Surrey, I didn't realize that giant house parties were still going on until recently smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

Australia actually says their regular flu season has been a no show thanks to mask use n social distancing/quarantine typically 14k a month of season flu, and they had like a few hundred by may/June iirc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #5700
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Season doesn't seem to matter, and we have pretty much stamped out influenza as a good extra benefit of the coronavirus measures people are taking.

All it takes to get a huge outbreak where thousands get sick is a couple people fucking up. That's what happened in Melbourne (in the winter) and it's what is happening in Hong Kong now (in the summer).
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote