REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #6276
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Take it for what it’s worth but on BNN they were discussing these results and they seemed to think the people experiencing some of this inflammation of the spine had undiagnosed MS?

Not sure who the experts were etc. But that was the talk when this trial was halted
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #6277
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Take it for what it’s worth but on BNN they were discussing these results and they seemed to think the people experiencing some of this inflammation of the spine had undiagnosed MS?

Not sure who the experts were etc. But that was the talk when this trial was halted
There's no way of knowing at this time, we have to wait and see (it's the waiting that sucks)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #6278
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 17 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Not necessarily. Without cycling threshold (Google this) values included in a PCR test, a positive result only tells you part of the story.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans quarantined likely unnecessarily due to positive results with far too high CT count.
Not all positive results should be considered equal. Not all positive results indicate a contagious sample.
Thanks for this, I didn't know anything about cycling threshold. What i'm understanding is that Ct values will give an estimated viral load, and the lower the number...the higher the likelihood of one transmitting. But there is no evidence stating that higher numbers = definitely not infectious, but "unlikely".

I agree, Not all positive results should be considered infectious but it's this uncertainty that the professionals don't want to play with. 33 is a very low viral load, but what's being looked at is the reliability of correlating this with how infectious one is. Research is ongoing so i'm very hopeful there'll be more clarity with Ct values.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #6279
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
That didn't take long. Received a school-wide notice today that someone at my son's school in Abby(wouldn't say if it was staff or student) has covid and was present a recently as Thursday. The school is contact tracing and notifying possible exposed students/staff directly.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #6280
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,339 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
That didn't take long. Received a school-wide notice today that someone at my son's school in Abby(wouldn't say if it was staff or student) has covid and was present a recently as Thursday. The school is contact tracing and notifying possible exposed students/staff directly.
Yeah we had that last week at my sons high school. I think it's going to be the norm and unless things really start spiraling they won't scale anything back, just keep dealing with it best they can.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #6281
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
just drove by an elementary school today in south richmond, i think it was during lunch or recess, i barely saw kids wearing masks which is a big wtf. i even saw a group of kids sitting in a circle with an adult, which i assume is their teacher, and was not wearing a mask as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #6282
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
My niece isn’t required to wear a mask (I think kindergarten?). They are too young to bother even trying.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #6283

Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #6284
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #6285
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
Calling all idiots that think I give a sh!t what your fails mean.
This post FAILED by:
320icar, CRS, EvoFire, haha13, inv4zn, Jmac, MG1, Mining, Obsideon, Presto, RiceIntegraRS, SkinnyPupp, spoon.ek9, twitchyzero, underscore

https://globalnews.ca/news/7348060/c...-transmission/
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...orne-particles
https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-d...virus-airborne

Main stream media for all you followers.
Months late everytime. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Also, not so much the virus itself that you're trying to block 100%. Consider the aerosols that are floating in the air after a sneeze, cough, etc that the virus attaches itself to. These particles are much larger now, and very easily blocked (albeit not 100%) by a mask. Once again, not 100% effective, but any percentage less intake of particulate matter or virus droplets is better than inhaling the whole damn thing no?
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #6286

Thanked 31,858 Times in 7,377 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
What does that have to do with your comments about masks and vaccines?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #6287
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,433 Times in 562 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
This post FAILED by:
320icar, CRS, EvoFire, haha13, inv4zn, Jmac, MG1, Mining, Obsideon, Presto, RiceIntegraRS, SkinnyPupp, spoon.ek9, twitchyzero, underscore

https://globalnews.ca/news/7348060/c...-transmission/
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...orne-particles
https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-d...virus-airborne

Main stream media for all you followers.
Months late everytime. Enjoy.
For the sake of educating myself I clicked into the link to see if my current paradigm of thinking needed to be changed. And here is what we get:

"Presently, the agency’s guidance says the virus mainly spreads from person-to-person through respiratory droplets, which can land in the mouth or nose of people nearby. (https://bit.ly/2EknVZc)"

I'm curious to know your perspective and how the articles cited helped to land to the conclusion that disproves what myself and many others have been saying. I don't currently see it??

I think the mic drop was a little premature there. Let's pick that back up eh
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #6288

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,752 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
-really pissed at senior management at my workplace for encouraging staff to go to the office to work in the middle of a pandemic!

Westopher, I wanna hear your feedback about this work situation that my colleagues and I will face in the near future. You're a smart and insightful man based on your posts that I see on RS and the numerous "thanks" that you get from members for your posts.

Long story short, a senior manager in my workplace (government office) sent out an all staff email yesterday asking staff to wait for an email from their supervisors. Senior managers wants all employees to come to the office to take away all personal belongings from their desks by a certain date. Why?

Some moron in upper management thinks that it is a good idea for staff to come to work in the office and sit in any desk that he or she wants to. As of this year, work stations/desks are shared among all employees.

In fact, management created a "coordinator" job so that one dude can coordinate the set up of office signage in elevators, hallways, lunchroom etc. about social distancing.

I am so pissed right now because idiots in senior management are putting the health of employees in the midst of this Covid pandemic at risk in order to get more employees to work in the office. Rationale? They think that more employees working in the office, despite supervisors working from home, means more employee productivity compared to working from home.

Are they serious??? Someone thinks I play video games, watch TV all day while working from home?

The risk of Covid transmission just went up much higher with staff sharing desks. I need to take my headset away, and other belongings because there is no way I am sharing a headset with another employee during this pandemic!

I already use tonnes of wetwipes to wipe my desk, photocopier, and other office equipmentdown.

My union reps will push back hard at management if managers ask a number of employees that is deemed "too high" for the office. I don't know the number of employees in the office that would make union reps contact management.

Good luck trying to social distance in the washrooms at my office.

Change happens so slow in my workplace to keep employees safe. My colleagues and I just got our work laptops and phones in June for home use.

I don't see plexiglass barriers going up at my office's cubicles anytime soon either.

Westopher, what are your thoughts on this upcoming change in workplace situation?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #6289

Can I assume the rationale of your employer is because there simply is not enough room to socially distance everyone in the workplace?

Are employees going to be alternating between working from home, and in the office? By sharing desk space, your employer is now able to create enough room for everyone to keep a safe distance and continue to work more efficiently in the office.

You may work well at home, but I’m sure you can see not all of your co-workers may do the same. Rather then taking this personally, can you see the larger picture?

I bet your employer has changed their cleaning procedures to keep your personal space safe. On top of that, 10 minutes prior to starting your work could you take it upon yourself to do your own cleaning? A little due diligence would go along way to keep you healthy, that is if you do not trust others to clean. I’m sure your union would have zero issue with negotiating you the right to clean your desk.

These are unprecedented times, and I think it is important for everyone to take a little responsibility themselves to make things right. If there are specific items like sharing a headset, bring that up with OHS. They will deem if it is safe or not. Create a procedure to work around it. If you do not agree, you do have the right to carry it up the chain (Right to refuse).

Last edited by hud 91gt; 09-23-2020 at 09:31 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #6290

On top of that, with your issue with washrooms. Your OHS team has probably evaluated all workspaces, and created a maximum occupancy for each room. This should be applied to the washroom. You may have to wait to take a piss until the occupancy is below that limit, but you are safe and your management team is eating the cost.

God, I sound like a manager but I’m just a unionized employee who ran the OHS committee, thankfully prior to this BS. Lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #6291

I really appreciate you taking my input as something valuable, but while I do my best to remain educated on what’s going on, I merely relay information from those who are educated on the situation like our public health officials.

If they say it’s safe for people to return to their workplaces, which they have, I’d trust that to be true. They have mentioned the caveat that there is risks involved, but we know that getting it isn’t a death sentence, and there are plenty of other risks we face in our day to day lives.

That said, your employer should be putting forth a coherent and reasonable plan to mitigate the risks. Social distancing, masks and other protocols are a must, and they must be adhered to. If you don’t trust your employer to do that, you should put that forth and if you still aren’t listened to, work safe BC could be involved in such a complaint. The desks being shared seems like an obvious issue and they should be able to explain how they came to the conclusion that it’s safe, or the protocols they put in place to make it safe. Remember, many of us do not have the option of working from home and we have been doing what we need to do to make that type of work safe.

Again, it’s appreciated that you see me as insightful, but this is far beyond what I know. I can totally teach you how to bake bread or butcher a pig, but that’s where my expertise lies.

I have been responsible in my role of creating a safe work environment for my staff, but all those guidelines can be found on the work safe BC website. It’s worth you looking at it and deciding if you feel like your employer is doing enough to meet those guidelines.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #6292
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Westopher, I wanna hear your feedback about this work situation that my colleagues and I will face in the near future. You're a smart and insightful man based on your posts that I see on RS and the numerous "thanks" that you get from members for your posts.
Wow. Westopher's got clout. First I've ever heard of RS 'thanks' being a barometer for intelligence.

If I may, west has 23,396 thanks for 4,869 posts for a thank/post (TP) ratio of 4.81

hud 91gt, while his post is informative, really only has a TP ratio of 2.56 - horrible.

Really, you should stop fantasizing about west and revere me as I've a stellar TP ratio of 7.51
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #6293
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,856 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Your department sounds kind of garbage pastarocket, mine is just starting phase 1 ext week and that’s 25% maximum employees allowed back at any given time. No shared workspaces or shared equipment, sanitizer stations everywhere... if you even want to go into the office to pick something up you need to email a manager and get out into shift scheduler to see if there’s enough room for you to be in the building...

That said I know of one other department that’s been full back to work for 1 month now all employees... but they’re a relatively small section so not sure how they’re handling it
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #6294

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Wow. Westopher's got clout. First I've ever heard of RS 'thanks' being a barometer for intelligence.

If I may, west has 23,396 thanks for 4,869 posts for a thank/post (TP) ratio of 4.81

hud 91gt, while his post is informative, really only has a TP ratio of 2.56 - horrible.

Really, you should stop fantasizing about west and revere me as I've a stellar TP ratio of 7.51
I mean, I am pretty sweet though.

If anyone here really has an input I want to hear in here it’s spoon.ek9
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 09-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #6295

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,752 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post

I also read Westopher's posts too for the content before making compliments about him. -not just about TP ratio stats.

Anyways, I am hearing from some colleagues that this plan for "back to work" for my office may have some holes in it terms of mitigating risk of Covid for employees.

As of now, the plan has no transparency in terms of clear communication from management (e-mails, conference calls, etc.) for these factors:

A) changes in shared workspace policy as a result of a Covid case or outbreak.

B) Any email updates about Covid cases in office building in terms of date of incident, office workspace location

C) Contract Tracing for employees who may have come in contact with person with Covid at office.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #6296

Privacy becomes the issue with announcing description of Positive COVID cases. The OHS team will be the ones in charge of contact tracing.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #6297

Like, I get the privacy argument but given the circumstances it’s rediculous.

My workplace is also focused on that “privacy” aspect however, their approach of Somone feels ill is to send the person for testing, keep everyone in the dark until results come back, and then if they are positive it’s based on your memory of the day in terms of contact tracing all the while if anyone was exposed to that person they have then went and been exposing literally dozens of customers while waiting for person X test results to come back

It’s insane.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #6298

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Doesn’t know the difference between droplet and airbourne transmission, calls others idiots
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #6299

I agree. It certainly seems like a risk, and it privacy isn’t an issue announcing the persons name would be the fastest and most accurate way to do contact tracing. But, they can’t.

The risk is apparently small enough it’s a none event. I’m not actually well versed on this virus (I just make sure I’m not being stupid, and continue living my life). But is one not contagious for the first couple days of coming in contact/contracting the virus? If so, the damage is done, and there is really no need in freaking everyone out about a possibility of a positive case.

The actual experts deem it safe, so we carry on.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #6300
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
This post FAILED by:
Takes time to copy, paste and post irrelevant list of fails.
States that he doesn't care about it.
How ironic.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote