REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #6551
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,233 Times in 424 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
He should record a new PSA.

"Wear a mask! Do the right thing."
Advertisement
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #6552
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
He’s got money, he doesn’t have to care about covid
Old 10-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #6553
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 14 Times in 8 Posts
https://time.com/5905129/taiwan-coronavirus-record/

Quote:
While many countries around the world are hitting new highs in coronavirus cases, Taiwan has achieved a different kind of record — 200 days without a locally transmitted case.

Taiwan holds the world’s best virus record by far and reached the new landmark on Thursday, even as the pathogen explodes anew in Europe and the U.S. Taiwan’s last local case came on April 12; there has been no second wave.

What did this island with 23 million people do right? It has had 550 confirmed cases, with only seven deaths. Experts say closing borders early and tightly regulating travel have gone a long way toward fighting the virus. Other factors include rigorous contact tracing, technology-enforced quarantine and universal mask wearing. Further, Taiwan’s deadly experience with SARS has scared people into compliance.
These will never happen here because people want their freedom.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #6554
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts

Sigh must be nice to have 200 days of Covid-free ... I am getting so tired of this.

I'm quite surprised that there are people that still refused to do temperature checks or give me information for contact tracing and rather eat somewhere else ...

1 guy even said the baby gun I'm using melts brains ... I chuckled and he said with a straight face he wasn't joking
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #6555
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
I wouldn’t want those people/that liability anyways
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #6556
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
It's not even about freedom.

It's about politicians' choice of their own agendas.

I remember when Taiwan first announced the banning of PPEs export (mainly to China when the outbreak first started), there were public figures who came out criticizing the politicians' bias and compassion.

Not everything is about compassion, caring and whatever face/social value one want to care. Before one can start looking to help others, one must be able to defend itself.

Our PMs in contrast, shipped tons of PPEs to assist China when the outbreak is already making news. It wasn't really because he gave a damn about helping China... it's about constructing that image of "Canadians".

I don't see the PM coming out to apologize the mistake of that decision when Canada was facing PPE shortages.

This is the pathetic state we are in. So many people care more about their image than what's right. It's always about political correctness... always about being that SAINT.

Taiwanese leaders, otoh, put the needs of its citizen first. It never considered a total lockdown because from what Taiwan learned from SARS... it's about tracking and tracing. Lockdown gives you that fake sense of the case dropping, but it destroys the economy as well in the process... again, something Taiwan learned during SARS.

What our gov't needs to do is to take an active approach for a pandemic of this scale. Stop trying to be the nice guy. Be the bad guy during the process... history will come back and clean that up.

You don't like it? Vote me out during next election or sue... but you either obey the rules on how to stay in the public safely or stay home. It's that simple.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #6557
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Taiwan went thru SARS, they shut down the country fast and people UNDERSTAND.

If we went to shut down since BC might get in 2nd wave... people will still go ape shit. Not saying Taiwan did it with flying colors... Italy is going thru the same thing... people are not happy goign back to lock down. France + Germany are shutting down bars again...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #6558
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Pray tell how would you govern differently, specific policies that aren't being implemented or have been implemented that you would do differently that would benefit all Canadians.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #6559
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Taiwanese leaders, otoh, put the needs of its citizen first. It never considered a total lockdown because from what Taiwan learned from SARS... it's about tracking and tracing. Lockdown gives you that fake sense of the case dropping, but it destroys the economy as well in the process... again, something Taiwan learned during SARS.

What our gov't needs to do is to take an active approach for a pandemic of this scale. Stop trying to be the nice guy. Be the bad guy during the process... history will come back and clean that up.

You don't like it? Vote me out during next election or sue... but you either obey the rules on how to stay in the public safely or stay home. It's that simple.
Which is what BC is doing. No new lockdown effectively and hiring hundreds of new contact tracers. Is it as comprehensive and wide ranging as Taiwan? Probably not, but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here other than soapboxing.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #6560

People were calling racism when others were trying to say we should shut down the borders to China etc. All the while A380 super jumbos operated by China Southern etc. Flying into YVR and the resulting little to no tracing or any sort of procedures as to international flights arriving obviously caused spikes in cases which was a direct result of the Liberal govt. inaction to actually put any sort of policies in place. How long did it take till they actually took tracing and quarantine of international arrivals seriously? 4-5 months into the pandemic?

Would be nice to have a govt. that was concerned with its citizens first off and not hurt feelings.

Also in case you are unfamiliar with geography, both Taiwan and New Zealand are islands..it’s obviously much easier to control your borders as a result and both these countries are likely to have enough infrastructure to operate completely within themselves (at least for a period of time) where as most large cities in North America and other non-island nations do not have such a luxury.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #6561
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Those A380s were being used as cargo jets and it's been proven the main spread of COVID here in BC was from Europe and Washington state.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #6562
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Well shutting borders to China wouldn’t have done much for us since the first outbreak in B.C. came via Iran. Not to mention the caseload that came from the states in the beginning. People can yell “OH NO CHY-NA” as much as they like but it was well beyond that when anyone even knew that measures needed to be taken.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #6563
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
You can’t stop perm. residents or citizens from coming back home... people seem to keep forgetting that
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #6564

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Those A380s were being used as cargo jets and it's been proven the main spread of COVID here in BC was from Europe and Washington state.
The A380 only were converted well into the pandemic, and have since returned to passenger service as far as I know. I follow a few people who work at YVR for their pictures and whatnot and they seem to confirm that.

International Flights were obviously the main issue early on where you were seeing the exposures on all those international connections out of Toronto and YVR yet as demonstrated by so many people through social media etc. Enforcing quarantines and tracking those arrivals was completely missed, which is a federally regulated issue
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #6565
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Well Winnipeg's shutting down when's it our turn
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #6566
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
On the other hand new zealand is just as successful and they went the total lockdown route
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #6567

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Well this is good news. Looks like immunity may still be present well after five months of infection.
Would sure be nice if this province would allow for the sale of antibody testing.
It would seem rapid tests and antibody testing on a grand scale could be the keys to the Cadillac in keeping our economy going while isolating those that need to be isolated.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...inds-1.5165875
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #6568
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Interesting link in that link for comparison of provinces to states per capita cases.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #6569
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
So I have to ask, if we go the lockdown route again, what #'s are we trying to get under? And after we remove the closure/lockdowns, our #'s are bound to go up again as we aren't New Zealand or Taiwan. Do you suggest another lockdown again once #'s reach a certain threshold? The virus doesn't seem to be going anywhere and as long as people/goods can move, the virus will keep coming back, vaccine or not. What's the end game for lockdowns? Lockdown every flu season + administer govt aid during these months?
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #6570

The Govt. should release more detailed information as to the critical cases and hospitalizations.

If 75%+ are elderly people with underlying health issues, what good is a lock down? Tell/Enforce lockdown or social isolation for the vulnerable population and allow the rest to carry on with stronger enforcement of masks.

I know there are studies which show a heavy handed lockdown and the resulting re-opening does more for economic growth than these half ass lock downs. However, even the WHO is now coming out saying that countries need to be incredibly careful with their approach to this as for many (mostly developing nations) the solution is worse than the virus when there’s no way to provide for yourself or a family.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #6571

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Well this is good news. Looks like immunity may still be present well after five months of infection.
Would sure be nice if this province would allow for the sale of antibody testing.
It would seem rapid tests and antibody testing on a grand scale could be the keys to the Cadillac in keeping our economy going while isolating those that need to be isolated.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...inds-1.5165875
That's interesting. A British study which had been following patients say antibodies drop after a few months at a far higher rate than say the flu

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873
Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #6572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
So I have to ask, if we go the lockdown route again, what #'s are we trying to get under? And after we remove the closure/lockdowns, our #'s are bound to go up again as we aren't New Zealand or Taiwan. Do you suggest another lockdown again once #'s reach a certain threshold? The virus doesn't seem to be going anywhere and as long as people/goods can move, the virus will keep coming back, vaccine or not. What's the end game for lockdowns? Lockdown every flu season + administer govt aid during these months?

I think if they're going to consider a lockdown, they really need to ramp up their contact & tracing, testing, and tracking, capabilities! Or else as you say we'd just be on an endless rinse and repeat loop
Old 10-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #6573

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
On the other hand new zealand is just as successful and they went the total lockdown route
Again, total lockdown is not a permanent solution. You destroy the whole economy to stop the cases. And let's just say it somehow manages to eradicate Covid19 from NZ. Then, how long do you plan to lockdown the travel part? So, no one in-n-out of the country in the foreseeable future? As soon as you open that up, you run at the risk of covid spreading again.

That's why Taiwan went for a track&tracing model and are slowly opening-up. Citizens have always been able to get back to Taiwan regardless of the condition.

The idea is quite simple really. If you want to do X, then Y needs to be followed. Take it as the cost of doing something or don't do it.

With that, and the active tracing, Taiwan has managed to keep the economy pretty much wide-open with no domestic cases. Yes, the geography and everything is different. But it's a freaking 24m people on an island about the size of Vancouver island. I'm sure there are a few things they are doing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Which is what BC is doing. No new lockdown effectively and hiring hundreds of new contact tracers. Is it as comprehensive and wide ranging as Taiwan? Probably not, but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here other than soapboxing.
Agree. I do think NDP is doing at least an OK job. That's why I voted for them again. I was referring more to the federal level.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #6574

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
That's interesting. A British study which had been following patients say antibodies drop after a few months at a far higher rate than say the flu

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873
Yeah they cited that study in the article. They explained how both conclusions could be true at the same time.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #6575
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
It's not even about freedom.

It's about politicians' choice of their own agendas.

I remember when Taiwan first announced the banning of PPEs export (mainly to China when the outbreak first started), there were public figures who came out criticizing the politicians' bias and compassion.

Not everything is about compassion, caring and whatever face/social value one want to care. Before one can start looking to help others, one must be able to defend itself.

Our PMs in contrast, shipped tons of PPEs to assist China when the outbreak is already making news. It wasn't really because he gave a damn about helping China... it's about constructing that image of "Canadians".

I don't see the PM coming out to apologize the mistake of that decision when Canada was facing PPE shortages.

This is the pathetic state we are in. So many people care more about their image than what's right. It's always about political correctness... always about being that SAINT.

You go to where the fight is and not wait for the fight to come to your front door. Also that PPE was about to expire.