REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #726
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
need Astm lvl 3 at work but our supplier has run out
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #727
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,192 Times in 8,388 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts

Quarantine method has been stepped up, as people have been bailing on their quarantines. They used to do phone calls to confirm location ("are you where you're supposed to be?" "yup, I promise ")

But now you have to use tracking software (I think Whatsapp or Wechat) or wear an ankle bracelet.

I will say that all of Hong Kong should be thanking the protesters for killing the tourism industry before this virus broke out. If the tourism wasn't severely depressed going into this year's CNY travel, we would have been soooooooooo fucked.

This year, before any border controls, Lo Wu would saw around 78K travelers (including HK and non HK residents, and this includes both directions). SZ Bay: 43K Lok Ma Chau: 36K

Last year these numbers were 242K, 141K and 132K

So before any border controls, we were at 150K from 515K, and are now at 3K daily travelers. I wish I could find the numbers for mainland visitors only, I bet it's even more significant.

Either way, protesters are saving HK in more than a few ways.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #728
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 88 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp, (RTHK English News) View Post
Since February 8, Hong Kong residents who return home from the mainland have been required to quarantine themselves at home for 14 days, or face a six-month jail term and HK$25,000 fine.

Non-residents have to stay in their hotels, other pre-arranged accomodations, or be kept in a quarantine camp.

The new measure is aimed at making sure they obey the quarantine.
So how about people who come from the mainland to Canada? They are just asked "Are you good?" and then they can roam free? Or they are just encouraged to self isolate themselves at home for at least 14 days without meeting other people?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #729

We're down to our last 10 rolls of TP, and that's with 2 women in the house

Also have yet to find rice. We might end up getting someone to send us some from Japan or elsewhere

In the meantime:

This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #730
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,214 Times in 2,290 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
the toilet paper thing is fucking retarded
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #731
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
What is the correlation between Coronavirus and low TP supply? Factories shut down?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #732

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
there is no low TP supply, just stupid online rumour causing C-lais to buy shit load of TPs
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #733
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Man... internet propaganda is seriously destroying society in the absence of critical thinking
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
there is no low TP supply, just stupid online rumour causing C-lais to buy shit load of TPs
Yup that's mostly what it is. Stupid and selfish people are panicking and taking WAY more than they need, not only ruining it for literally the entire country, but they're going to end up being stuck with tons of useless TP once mold sets in over summer time.

Update: I got some TP! They would bring out boxes of new stock, and people would grab it as soon as the boxes were opened. There's no choice what brand you get, unless you want to wait and see what the next box is going to be. If you want a specific (usually cheaper) brand, you have to wait and hope to win some fights over others looking for that brand.

Rice was easier, but again only one brand. Thai long grain rice that I usually don't buy but it'll have to do for now.

Goods from China are definitely coming in slower than usual, but thankfully there's enough supply from other countries. It's not even always more expensive either. One of the biggest concerns (for me at least) is with a complete border shutdown, we'd be relying 100% on imports from countries other than China. That was also (allegedly) a concern when debating the handover.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #735
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yup that's mostly what it is. Stupid and selfish people are panicking and taking WAY more than they need, not only ruining it for literally the entire country, but they're going to end up being stuck with tons of useless TP once mold sets in over summer time.

Update: I got some TP! They would bring out boxes of new stock, and people would grab it as soon as the boxes were opened. There's no choice what brand you get, unless you want to wait and see what the next box is going to be. If you want a specific (usually cheaper) brand, you have to wait and hope to win some fights over others looking for that brand.

Rice was easier, but again only one brand. Thai long grain rice that I usually don't buy but it'll have to do for now.

Goods from China are definitely coming in slower than usual, but thankfully there's enough supply from other countries. It's not even always more expensive either. One of the biggest concerns (for me at least) is with a complete border shutdown, we'd be relying 100% on imports from countries other than China. That was also (allegedly) a concern when debating the handover.
Good on ya. I just went out for a non perishable supply run here (Tokyo). I usually only have a day or two worth of food since everything is so convenient. I feel that shit is going to hit the fan in Japan soon. I think we're one of the few Asian countries that didn't quarantine anyone, and didn't cut flights to China...Message from the health minister is now "avoid all non-essential gatherings" and "avoid any crowded trains". So basically, 99% of working adults, and anyone that rides the train is... yea...
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #736
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
^^^ that's so fucking stupid.

tokyo is one of the busiest places in the entire fucking universe,its like they want to thin out the herd and say "Good Luck!"..

Old 02-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #737
I don't get it

Failed 285 Times in 77 Posts
Now they are offering money to rat out any "sick" neighbors on the mainland.
I wonder if your a billionare if you can buy your way out when the quarantine van comes for yo ass.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #738
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
I don't understand why people are fighting over rice. When was the last time you ever went and bought rice from China????? Most of hte time it's Thailand and Australia, so there won't be any demand / supply shortage.

The reason for China TP was due to "factory going to shut down operation" and people went ape shit. There is one justification, at least in Hong Kong, you aren't able to put "premium Italian made" toilet paper, so people THINK all TP are from China.

Do you know HOW long it'll take to use up 1 roll of toilet paper, let along the entire 12 roll in a pack? In Canada or US, sure you have space, but this is a 250-500 sq ft apartment... WTF do you have space to store....

I can't even comprehend this picture.

This lady is over doing it but I have to say, she must be loaded cause it ain't cheap. It's 2k+ CDN for a full 3M Versaflo

Last edited by 6793026; 02-17-2020 at 12:02 PM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #739
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
govnt should suggest this to help reduce TP usage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSQ...&frags=pl%2Cwn

I was at Home Depot earlier, and they had N95 masks for 6.95 each wtf! But these were the type with a non-rebreather valve at the front.... That said, there were still a bunch of aunties who filled their basket with it. 3M execs are laughing their way to the bank this month.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I don't understand why people are fighting over rice. When was the last time you ever went and bought rice from China????? Most of hte time it's Thailand and Australia, so there won't be any demand / supply shortage.

The reason for China TP was due to "factory going to shut down operation" and people went ape shit. There is one justification, at least in Hong Kong, you aren't able to put "premium Italian made" toilet paper, so people THINK all TP are from China.

Do you know HOW long it'll take to use up 1 roll of toilet paper, let along the entire 12 roll in a pack? In Canada or US, sure you have space, but this is a 250-500 sq ft apartment... WTF do you have space to store....

I can't even comprehend this picture.

This lady is over doing it but I have to say, she must be loaded cause it ain't cheap. It's 2k+ CDN for a full 3M Versaflo
You might not understand a lot of stuff in Hong Kong. When 99% of the Hongers think it is choas, 1 or 2 C-lai would suddenly go crazy and go buy all the rice at the supermarket. Thanks to the govn't is doing nothing to prevent or educate the public in advance.

When I see the TP rack in supermarket is empty for 1 week, even a normal Honger would buy 2-3x more than normal and demand continues.

I wore my 3M 6200 mask to supermarket once when my mask ran out. Better to play safe than getting killed (and the family members too)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #741

It might just be partially in the nature of the culture; I've seen it happen a million times. T10 typhoon incoming? Better hope you have rice at home, because shelves will be empty. Fukushima blows up? Somehow people thought eating lots of non-iodized salt would help, so no salt on shelves for a week. Even when the protests started, people panicked and started stocking up. I guess they thought there was a chance China would come in with tanks and lock everyone in their homes.

Actually I can't really remember what it was like during SARS though. To my recollection it wasn't that bad. A lot of people wore masks, but NOTHING like today. So maybe the panic thing is a more recent thing, as people learn that their government is absolutely useless. All they do is protect the CCP and the Police.

I didn't ever wear a mask during SARS, and I hung out at Amoy all the time (bad idea in retrospect). One day I was there, and all the stores were closed and dudes in full body suits were wandering around... I guess that was the day they discovered the cause
Old 02-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #742
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,054 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Don't tell C lais here but there's going to be a run on TP here locally ... not because of Coronavirus but because of the damn protests blocking rail transport.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #743

During 2003, people did not have smart phones, there was no high speed mobile internet, people sent MMS but cost a lot, people read newspaper or news website, FB or youtube or online buying platform was not existed. Revscene still talked about how to turbo a civic or impreza or hyde's porsche GT

Just cross the fingers and continue to stay home for another months or so.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #744
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Don't tell C lais here but there's going to be a run on TP here locally ... not because of Coronavirus but because of the damn protests blocking rail transport.
It's true. We are hearing the ports are starting to get backed up with containers because they can't load them on the trains due to the protests blocking the tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #745
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Good on ya. I just went out for a non perishable supply run here (Tokyo). I usually only have a day or two worth of food since everything is so convenient. I feel that shit is going to hit the fan in Japan soon. I think we're one of the few Asian countries that didn't quarantine anyone, and didn't cut flights to China...Message from the health minister is now "avoid all non-essential gatherings" and "avoid any crowded trains". So basically, 99% of working adults, and anyone that rides the train is... yea...
How's the general atmosphere in Tokyo? Have a trip booked on March 1. Thinking of just to cancel the trip for f sake. (flights are still non refundable)
yoursyumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #746

I don't know about other orgs in Japan, but Stardom wrestling has canceled ALL their events to the public for about the next month. All their shows will be recorded with no audience.

By March 1 it's possible a lot more stuff is going to be closed. People in Japan are furious at their government for not taking this seriously enough, so they may take action with border control as well as closing public run events, while corporations do the same.

Keep an eye on it, you might want to cancel the trip even eating the flight cost, or maybe go somewhere more rural instead of Tokyo and do other activities...
Old 02-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #747
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,214 Times in 2,290 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
goin to Tokyo in April.. so i hope it's fine...
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #748
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursyumiko View Post
How's the general atmosphere in Tokyo? Have a trip booked on March 1. Thinking of just to cancel the trip for f sake. (flights are still non refundable)
I'm leaving on the 1st as well. It's not going to stop me, all things considered.

However, they did just reduce the Tokyo Marathon to just top tier runners.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #749
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts

That's one angry Chinese woman
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #750

^^^ RIP that lady

There are people who would say that her Qi is out of whack, possibly due to meddling with Falun Gong meditation practices... This is exactly how they describe it.