REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #9101
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That’s what sick days are for bros
My sick days are all rolled into my PTO, because I work from home (even pre-covid)
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9102
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
I found this video from VOX to be very useful in explaining why there are different efficacy rates for the vaccins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A

TLDW:
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held in USA only (covid variants were low during this time)
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held during the summer when case counts were low.

• AZ and J&J vaccines held trials in USA, South Africa, and Brazil where covid variants emerged
• AZ and J&J vaccines trials were held later (fall & winter 2020) where case rates were tripled compared to summer 2020
Haven't watched yet, just woke up, but do they account for the fact that Pfizer/Biontech was used to vaccinate the entire population of Israel? I know they got quite a bit of information from that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #9103
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
No, all the data used for efficacy rates is from their respective phase 3 trials

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #9104

Yeah I know they learned from Israel that cases actually went up above normal for a few days after first dose, then stayed at around 0% immunity for about 2 weeks, then it quickly ramped up to 90% by 3 weeks. Before Israel, they didn't know it was that high after the first dose.

We're learning new stuff about these vaccines every day it seems. Hopefully nothing bad
Old 03-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #9105
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,774 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – B.C.’s top doctor is expressing concern over younger people ending up in the hospital because of COVID-19 as the province continues immunizing people against the virus.

We have seen several young people in their 30s, and 40s who, unfortunately, tragically, been severely affected by COVID,” Henry said, adding data on the age of patients hospitalized is still in the works. “[COVID_19] is still, of course, riskier the older you are, but as we are protecting more and more older people, we are seeing risk in younger people.”

B.C. reported 1,437 new infections, 16 deaths over three-day period on Monday

Is it safe to say that BC has hit the third wave of this pandemic?

The younger age range of people in their 30s ending up in hospital with Covid is a bigger concern now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #9106
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
I wouldn't call it the 3rd wave if the second didn't even subside. Going to be a big eye opener when people see their friends in hospital for this. It's a vaccine race to make sure this isn't a disaster, and we are losing the race.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #9107
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
vaccines to ramp up for surrey

https://globalnews.ca/news/7712936/b...ions-teachers/
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #9108
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lots of peolpe here in Whistler are receiving the vaccination this week. I had no idea that I'd be one of those people when I woke up this morning but I got the call midday with just a few hours notice to head over. They gave me the Covishield vaccine. I havent felt any side effects so far.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #9109
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Worth noting that AstraZeneca has a 79% efficacy rate of preventing symptomatic infection and a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT efficacy rate of preventing severe symptoms or death.
Not sure why everyone is like “mE nO WaNt AsTerOid VaCcIne”
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
I found this video from VOX to be very useful in explaining why there are different efficacy rates for the vaccins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A

TLDW:
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held in USA only (covid variants were low during this time)
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held during the summer when case counts were low.

• AZ and J&J vaccines held trials in USA, South Africa, and Brazil where covid variants emerged
• AZ and J&J vaccines trials were held later (fall & winter 2020) where case rates were tripled compared to summer 2020
Well, its controversies like these that don't instill public's faith and confidence in AstraZeneca. Maybe you have a higher personal risk tolerance (or faith in private pharma corps?) but that shouldn't lead you to look down on people who are being skeptical at all these confusing headlines.

----------------------

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

NIAID Statement on AstraZeneca Vaccine

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...zeneca-vaccine

Late Monday, the Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) notified NIAID, BARDA, and AstraZeneca that it was concerned by information released by AstraZeneca on initial data from its COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial. The DSMB expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data. We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible.

----------------------

Then you have scientists basically saying that the US government has stopped just short of accusing AstraZeneca of manipulating its trial data.

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/...ete-trial-data

----------------------

Criticisms of AstraZeneca studies stem back to the first data released in the UK, which purported to show that the jab was 70% effective. However, the trial data didn't account for a manufacturing mistake, and also didn't include enough participants over the age of 65 to deduce efficacy among older patients. European governments like Germany and France responded by initially limiting the jab to patients under the age of 65. US authorities suspended the US trial for 6 weeks last fall for mysterious reasons that were never fully explained. Following the latest release, Astrazeneca head of research and development Mene Pangalos called the data "much cleaner" than prior releases, expressing hope it "puts to bed any doubts."
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #9110
RS controls my life!

Failed 62 Times in 18 Posts
AstraZeneca said yesterday's trial conclusions were based on an "interim analysis" with all data received by the cutoff date of Feb. 17. Then, it promised to "immediately engage with the independent data safety monitoring board to share our primary analysis with the most up to date efficacy data." Results of this primary analysis will be available within 2 days.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...rial-data.html

The numbers published yesterday were based on a pre-specified interim analysis with a data cut-off of 17 February.

We have reviewed the preliminary assessment of the primary analysis and the results were consistent with the interim analysis. We are now completing the validation of the statistical analysis.

We will immediately engage with the independent data safety monitoring board (DSMB) to share our primary analysis with the most up to date efficacy data.

We intend to issue results of the primary analysis within 48 hours.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #9111

Edit: This story is inaccurate, as this batch comes from China, not Germany. (not true, see below)

Just when I was telling my wife that the pharmaceuticals made in China should be the same quality as anywhere else, as long as they adhere to the standards made by Pfizer and BioNTech. Like literally an hour before this happened.

Edit 2: It's possible that the batch is from Pfizer, and Fosun simply handles the administrative portion with HK and Macau at this time. I've yet to see a source either way (my syringe was preloaded, so I couldn't look at the vial for a label) (somewhat true, see below)

Edit 3: I finally got some concrete information. BioNTech developed the vaccine, and partners with Pfizer to manufacture and release it around the world, except China. They partner with Fosun for packaging, shipping, marketing, but not manufacturing. They still manufacture it themselves in Germany, ship it to China, then it goes from there. Fosun is developing a plant to make it themselves eventually, but there's no timeline for it, and it is likely many years from happening.

Still not sure what the defect is. It's possible its cold storage wasn't maintained, or some vials leaked, or anything really. Have to wait and see when (if) they give full details.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #9112
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,657 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Hong Kong is an absolutely shxt show with the government COVID efforts. If I were in living in Hong Kong, I wouldn't trust the BioNTech vaccine there either.

(And then it goes without saying that I woudln't trust the Sinovac vaccine under any circumstances -- and there is plenty of emprical data around the world to support that too.)
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #9113

The issue with Sinovac isn't that it's from China, it's that it hasn't been tested thoroughly, and the data that is there seems unreliable, and what reliable data there is doesn't show it to be very effective. Also they seem to be using HKers as guinea pigs (giving it to >60 even though they don't do that anywhere else) and they seem to want to promote it heavily (yesterday they took a doctor off the program who was telling his patients that the BioNTech one is more effective) and then Carrie Lam complained about "fake news" and "rumors".

If Sinovac was the only choice, I wouldn't have gotten a vaccine yet. I'd buy another one myself privately if I had to.

Immediately people here are saying this has been fabricated in order to switch everyone to Sinovac.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #9114
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,223 Times in 2,294 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
well there goes my shot today..
har har har har har
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #9115

New variant is basically starting the pandemic all over again. It's more 40-60% contagious, and 64% more deadly than OG covid.

BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are effective against this variant (but barely counter the B1351 "South Africa" variant)

Old 03-24-2021, 12:43 AM   #9116
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I’m burned out on covid-19. I know a lot of people feel the same =_=
Old 03-24-2021, 02:44 AM   #9117
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,223 Times in 2,294 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

Immediately people here are saying this has been fabricated in order to switch everyone to Sinovac.
Hard not to when doctors are literally saying the BionTech/Pfizer shot is preferred. Like the dude that got suspended the other day...

something like 50 vials out of 550000 were broken... it isn't very difficult to grab the next one is it?

normally, i ignore the conspiracies etc.. but this one just seems odd, how is it that this factory has delivered probably millions of this shot to other countries, yet Hong Kong/Macau is the only one that has an "issue"
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:16 AM   #9118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Hard not to when doctors are literally saying the BionTech/Pfizer shot is preferred. Like the dude that got suspended the other day...

something like 50 vials out of 550000 were broken... it isn't very difficult to grab the next one is it?

normally, i ignore the conspiracies etc.. but this one just seems odd, how is it that this factory has delivered probably millions of this shot to other countries, yet Hong Kong/Macau is the only one that has an "issue"
You have to err on the side of caution when this happens.. This would be the case in any country. Yeah 50 vials out of the 30K (150K doses so far, 5 doses per vial) that have been used is a small fraction, it's good to halt for a bit and figure out if the whole batch is tainted. If everything is fine, they can go back and use this batch. If anything this shows how good their testing procedure is.

The dude getting suspended is pretty shitty. But doctors can only give out the sinovac anyway, biontech is only done at the community centres, so if he's telling his patients not to get it, he might as well not be in the program. It sucks that they tell you to "ask your doctor for more information" but when the doctor gives you the facts, he gets banned from the program. The govt is so fucking clueless to do this, but it's china now so what do you expect?
Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #9119
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,552 Times in 1,733 Posts
Failed 102 Times in 62 Posts
i can tell you for a fact that dropping/breaking 50 vials is absolutely ludicrous. you'd have to be a butter fingered goon to be this careless. in the ~8 years i've been at my current hospital, I've dropped and broken 2 or 3 vials. total.

any more details as to how/why this guy broke so many? honestly, no matter what the circumstances there isn't much excuse.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #9120
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Buddy of mine got the covishield shot yesterday. Was up all night puking with a fever and said a “state of confusion” a little better today but still pretty rough
Old 03-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #9121
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 32,064 Times in 7,449 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 159 Posts
That happens to me after every wedding I go to.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
i can tell you for a fact that dropping/breaking 50 vials is absolutely ludicrous. you'd have to be a butter fingered goon to be this careless. in the ~8 years i've been at my current hospital, I've dropped and broken 2 or 3 vials. total.

any more details as to how/why this guy broke so many? honestly, no matter what the circumstances there isn't much excuse.
They're not dropping them, the vials are coming to them with loose caps (the aluminum caps, not the plastic part that protects the rubber seal) and leaks. That's why they're discontinuing to find out why. It's possibly due to the temperature change, or were screwed up right from the manufacturer, or something else
Old 03-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #9123
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,012 Posts
Failed 198 Times in 123 Posts
Another 700 plus today. Surrey is still winning
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #9124
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,002 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Hong Kong is an absolutely shxt show with the government COVID efforts. If I were in living in Hong Kong, I wouldn't trust the BioNTech vaccine there either.

(And then it goes without saying that I woudln't trust the Sinovac vaccine under any circumstances -- and there is plenty of emprical data around the world to support that too.)
I can't say who trusts what or which one is better. Tons of debate on china vaccine versus mRNA ... just diff methods.

I can say for a city like HK, they are allowing 18 yr olds to get the vaccine (ot at lesat be in line0... that's hella fast / efficient (news as per March 24 Singtao). Going to fact check the shit out of that but if that's the case.. dang.. YVR is slow as fuck.

Not complaining, distribution and obtaining is diff from Canada / BC / HK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Buddy of mine got the covishield shot yesterday. Was up all night puking with a fever and said a “state of confusion” a little better today but still pretty rough
Everyone reacts differently. Of the 30+ people of front line friends i have 80% had headaches and arm hurts on the 1st dose, 2nd one is worse and you might be out of work for a day or two so that's interesting to know.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #9125
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Drove my dad to get his vaccination shot today at Central Park. Whole thing took around 20 minutes
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote