REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #9201
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd say the problem is -- with the exception of specific outbreaks, nobody really knows where the trouble spots are. But despite the lack of obvious "trouble spots", caseloads keep on going up.
contact tracing would give them good indicators

cbc said it was due to inspection at some restaurants in whistler not being able to follow the precautions, but why punish the entire industry for it

cases are going up because they're picking it up from spring break and bringing it back to home community
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #9202
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,096 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
How are you closing restaurants yet grocery stores are packed like it’s xmas eve looking for the last turbo doll.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic
People don’t meet their friends at grocery stores. They do at restaurants and I’ve seen many people who clearly don’t live together having meals together when I’ve gone out.

Ya it sucks, but blame the selfish people out there meeting their friends for food and drinks. You know after a few they’re all hugging anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #9203
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #9204
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Fucking fuck.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Have there ever been any industry-specific compensation or assistance programs available from the provincial government in response to the various closures or restrictions?

Also, are the federal wage and rent subsidies still in place?
Wage and rent subsidies are still in place, and to be fair, they have been comprehensively an absolute lifeline. What is absurd is companies like Bell and Rogers have been able to use them to pay their staff when they have billions in cash lying around for little purchases like Shaw, but when things are rolled out hastily there will be shit that happens.
The industry specific lifelines were actually started by a friend of mine and many others in the industry and rely on donation only, and as a result don’t have near the finances to put out the fire, but they have helped and done an awesome job. Vanfbc is the IG handle and they have been helping subsidize out of work hospitality employees
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #9206
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
How are you closing restaurants yet grocery stores are packed like itÂ’s xmas eve looking for the last turbo doll.

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic
I'm honestly confused why grocery stores get compared to dining in at a restaurant.

Shopping at a grocery store is essential - dining in at a restaurant is not. Is that so hard to comprehend?

People in grocery stores are required to keep their masks on, people eating at a restaurant can take off their mask because it's impossible to eat with a mask on. Is that so hard to comprehend?
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #9207
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I'm honestly confused why grocery stores get compared to dining in at a restaurant.

Shopping at a grocery store is essential - dining in at a restaurant is not. Is that so hard to comprehend?

People in grocery stores are required to keep their masks on, people eating at a restaurant can take off their mask because it's impossible to eat with a mask on. Is that so hard to comprehend?
I think they should limit how many people can go into a grocery store at one time, make sure they don't get too crowded.

Also are places like Ikea still open? Hardly essential, and probably 90% of the people there are using it as an amusement park
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #9208

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think they should limit how many people can go into a grocery store at one time, make sure they don't get too crowded.

Also are places like Ikea still open? Hardly essential, and probably 90% of the people there are using it as an amusement park
Yeah sure Ikea and malls being open I get, they aren't essential.

I'm assuming their logic is people can keep their mask on in these locations and they aren't exactly places you can gather with other households.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #9209
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Old 03-29-2021, 07:39 PM   #9210
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts
Completely blindsided, again. Just like the New Years Eve announcement. What a joke.

I've just finished rescheduling all my staff. Had to cut about 80% of the shifts.
How is the government planning to compensate for 3 weeks of lost wages and revenue specifically for this industry?
How many (more) restaurants are going to close down this phase? Many are already hanging on by a thread.

We were actually JUST starting to get a little bit more business the last few weeks and then the hammer drops again... next one will be a guillotine ...

Last edited by Obsideon; 03-29-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #9211

Quote:
it's not a local business, can't close it

gotta keep the multinational conglomerates running
Old 03-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #9212
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,837 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
every grocery store in the city will deliver to you - there is nothing essential about it.

if that was the case they would rope off every aisle of costco except for "essential" items - but they won't.

what's different between ikeas furniture section and costco? do you need a new 70" tv?

the t shirt material somebody is wearing over their face while they stand 6" behind you in the costco line up is not safer than my wife and I sitting at our favourite restaurant behind 4 sheets of plexi glass. Unfiltered masks have never been about reducing transmission - they have been about creating a wearable reminder to stay distanced from one another. (don't @ me - i think this is a brilliant way to convince people to break social habits and stay apart)

this is about grabbing the low hanging fruit, and telling the voters "we did something". I desperately wish they would close the box stores, for 3 weeks but leave the restaurants open. I'll bet the "numbers" will still do whatever you want them to do to confirm the bias either way.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 08:24 PM   #9213

i don't think they can meet the demand of every household for delivery if they're closed in-store

then the corner gas will complain they're losing too much money from the sharp dropoff in traffic

dunno, i'd say tv is pretty damn essential if youre asked to stay home for 2-3 years
Old 03-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #9214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Completely blindsided, again. Just like the New Years Eve announcement. What a joke.

I've just finished rescheduling all my staff. Had to cut about 80% of the shifts.
How is the government planning to compensate for 3 weeks of lost wages and revenue specifically for this industry?
How many (more) restaurants are going to close down this phase? Many are already hanging on by a thread.

We were actually JUST starting to get a little bit more business the last few weeks and then the hammer drops again... next one will be a guillotine ...

feel horrible for the restaurant homies. the kids i know that didn't just lose 1 job (again) but maybe 2-3 different hustles they have going.

this was the wrong move and the wrong people to throw under the bus. Horgan laying it on the youngest most vulnerable members of the workforce today.

There's no good solution, but to lay it on the people who have been gutting it out for the past year is a tragedy.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #9215

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post

It's not about saying restaurants are as important to daily life as grocery stores. It's the comparison that at a grocery store some dude can be grazing my ass in the 2.5 foot wide aisles as he ignores the arrows on the floor while the produce guy scratches his head while restaurants have been given, created their own, and enforced restrictions throughout this.
Is it that hard to comprehend that restaurants that are following the rules aren't having transmissions?
Heres some hard truth. Those that are going out to restaurants and getting Covid from people that they aren't supposed to be dining with, will now be dining at each others houses. With no control, no safety protocols in place.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 03-29-2021 at 09:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #9216

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i don't think they can meet the demand of every household for delivery if they're closed in-store
amazon figured it out - i'll bet it can absolutely be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

dunno, i'd say tv is pretty damn essential if youre asked to stay home for 2-3 years
i'm not trying to strawman you here - but you do understand that no matter how long you're asked to stay at home, your TV is not essential - at least compared to somebody trying to earn a living.

people think restaurants/hospitality/tourism are just places to go have fun. that they are luxuries.

these are workplaces. from owners (HUGELY vested) to salaried employees (how's that mortage renewal going to look after 2-3 layoffs) to college kids trying to make student loan payments.

not everybody gets to work from home - or even remotely wants to. personally can't think of anything worse or more anti-social than being some employee number on a ledger somewhere. home is a relatively short refuge for me, not a workplace. we're normalizing it and that is a terrible proposition.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #9217
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #9218
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Maybe grocery stores can't deliver everything, but can't they do an online model and bring the shit out to your car? I guess that would be too much of an inconvenience for them so let's just stick it up the ass of restaurants again.

At least I can still go to best buy and the gym, no one touches shit with their bare hands there.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #9219
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Yep this exactly, teens and mothers with their kids just strolling thru, playing around, buying absolutely nothing, except maybe for some snacks

I went to buy some shoe racks (for my rigs) one of the pieces I wanted to get was supposedly only in the showroom so I had to go thru there and I was just watching all these ppl on vacation blocking the walkways to chitchat or horse around

then when I'm lining up to pay for my shit I spot some of those same ppl just walking right out either to the snack section or right out the door

Also the pieces I wanted in the showroom they actually had out in the checkout queue didn't need to stroll thru at all
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #9220

amazon took 20 years, some luck and many smart plays to become the giant to buy wholefoods, the indie grocer down the street won't survive if it's delivery only

i think we're on the same page that every industry is important because that's somebody's livelihood

my point is the bare necessities to hunker down for a few weeks is not gonna be adequate anymore..in the same vein of your argument that tv purchase will keep food on the table for somebody ie the warehouse guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post

At least I can still go to best buy and the gym, no one touches shit with their bare hands there.
fomites (via touch surfaces ie. contaminated food utencils etc.) are not really the mode of transmission for covid
Old 03-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #9221

Thanked 1,433 Times in 562 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Don't really get why we're arguing closing restaurants to closing groceries. Yea, people are bitter but the ramifications of closing groceries and doing online pick up are just absolutely ludicrous. People would be out with their pitchforks if that came to be. The same unfair sentiment that we're feeling with losing in-restaurant dining and "pick-up only" would be 100-fold, 1000x stronger if you said "curb-side pick-up only" for groceries. People would flip their shit.

Unfortunately, closing in-restaurant is the likely the path of least pain and highest impact and I'm sure they've done the math to come to that conclusion. It's not going to be feel fair, but the few bad apples have ruined it for the rest of us.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2021, 10:46 PM   #9222
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It's not about saying restaurants are as important to daily life as grocery stores. It's the comparison that at a grocery store some dude can be grazing my ass in the 2.5 foot wide aisles as he ignores the arrows on the floor while the produce guy scratches his head while restaurants have been given, created their own, and enforced restrictions throughout this.
Is it that hard to comprehend that restaurants that are following the rules aren't having transmissions?
Heres some hard truth. Those that are going out to restaurants and getting Covid from people that they aren't supposed to be dining with, will now be dining at each others houses. With no control, no safety protocols in place.
I'll take, some dude grazing my ass in the 2.5 foot wide aisles WITH MASK ON, over, some dude, 6 ft away on the other table, talking loudly with his friends while eating WITH OUT MASK ON.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:52 PM   #9223
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 169 Posts
I think it was an absolute boomer mentality with what Hulk Horgan said today. He specifically called out the 20-39 demographic when they’ve continually skirted around the whole race issue from the large Fraser Health increases earlier in the year.
  • 20-39 age group are the ones working these “essential” front line jobs at restaurants, grocery stores, retail sales, and malls.
  • working lower paying jobs with no ability to WFH to “do more”.
  • potential risk to exposure is infinitely higher than most of us that can WFH.
  • get little pay, barely any benefits, and not much help from their employers to mitigate the risk involved.
  • same industries that have been deemed “essential” because our government continues to pussyfoot around having a proper lockdown and is doing it for the economy under the disguise of it being low risk
  • this age group is also one of the last ones to get a vaccine

I can’t believe this fucking government has the gall to make almost every single industry in BC an essential service and then turn around and blame the age group that works in those industries (that have constant contact with hundreds of people) for the spread.

If they were really doing it for the good of public health then we would’ve already been locked down for a few weeks to control all the spread. Better yet, the government would actually be doing asymptotic testing to try and control all the asymptotic carriers. Instead, they get on their soap box and continue to beat down on the hospitality industry that’s | | close to being completely ruined.

Fuck off

[edit] continuing my rant below

The other thing this age group faces is the likelihood of having school aged children that could’ve been bringing home COVID with them the entire time. The same time where the entire B.C. government and health authority fought hard to not implement a mask mandate as if school aged children were immune to catching and spreading it. I love kids but school aged children are some of the fucking dirtiest human beings alive and this government thinks they have the wherewithal to know not to try and spread their germs? Are you fucking stupid?

Another thing about this ageism is that the 20-39 age group is likely working multiple jobs to make ends meet which increases the potential of catching covid. They’re also at that age group where they’re fucked out of housing so they need to rent and have roommates which also increases the chance of catching it.

His age group comment is just so fucking triggering and tone deaf.

Last edited by Ch28; 03-29-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #9224
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,188 Times in 241 Posts
Failed 326 Times in 95 Posts
comparing closing down grocery stores to restaurants?

Have just a tiny bit of common sense. Despite being packed as hell in a grocery store, 99.9% of people are wearing masks compared to diners who are maskless and talking more frequently face to face. How the heck do you think that's safe?
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2021, 12:30 AM   #9225
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
If they limit the amount of people in a restaurant - 50% capacity, and limit amount how many can gather to 2 people at a time, you'll never have an outbreak coming from a restaurant.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: