REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #9551
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
We've been in pseudo restriction mode for over a year now. Videos and images of Bats and people collapsing in city streets are a distant memory now. For the majority of people, 99% of interactions in public have been fine. We've seen many politicians publically skirt the same rules that they were recommending. We've seen little to no enforcement to parties and persons that don't follow the rules. Flights are operating and people are coming into the country. Government messaging has been a complete shitshow (back and forth on masks, 2 weeks to stop the virus, schools are fine/kids are low risk, vaccine efficacy & rollout has been a mess, small businesses are death traps but we're all okay to go to packed corporate stores, etc).

People are tired of the situation, and everyone seems to have accepted that the virus is now a part of our lives. Vaccine or not, the virus doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon (or it will go away when the Media stops covering it and moves on to something else). We are adapting to living with the virus now & accepting the consequences that come with it.
Advertisement
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #9552
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,954 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’m not saying you specifically but Canada in general when it comes to it.

The one thing cons would have is generally they support business better than the libs, if that would ha resulted in less lockdowns and resulting more cases, who knows. But personally it’s hard for me to believe the cons would have done worse.
Really, though? The Cons run Ontario, and for business there it's been a shit show of lockdowns far worse than our NDP-run government, who have done everything in their power to keep businesses running.

That idea of Cons being "better for business" is a complete misnomer, and a total proven fallacy.

They are merely a party of tax cuts for their monied donors, by that is austerity measures for the public, that is their literal and only agenda.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #9553

As well, if you think the Cons would've done any better, you're out to lunch man. They can barely choose someone to run their damn party, bunch of corrupt assholes

People whining about vaccines are also out to lunch. We are a country with a nationalized health care system, the US does not. There is something called procurement, we must mitigate costs and be able to negotiate purchases at a reasonable amount. The EU went through the exact same process which stalled their vaccine rollout as well:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/why...es-51613051131

At the end of the day, if we spent more on vaccine doses, the Cons would come out saying we paid too much, Trudump wastes taxpayer funds, he bought the wrong ones, they're unproven, yadda yadda.

We take additional time to do proper procurement, to manage costs, and yet we're also a failure as a result.

You can't fucking win.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #9554

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
^^ we could have fucking won, if we did Australia and New Zealand full lock down for a month. Not hur durr we don't need masks, let's keep the malls open but you ppl are assholes for going to the mall for none essential services, we must keep schools open who cares if teachers or grandparents die, they don't contribute to the economy. We can't control you guys going to the island but here have more ferry sailings, we just advise that you guys don't go. It's not like we can do anything. Canada won't be pushed around so much if the gov isn't a bunch of pussies.

I don't see any mass reports of economic fallout or everyone loosing their homes in Australia, so I don't see why this approach isn't being used when it is proven to work.

Why are we still dicking around with useless strategies that has proven to not work. O the numbers are going down guys let's have groups of ten, go out have dinner with your bubbles.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #9555
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
As well, if you think the Cons would've done any better, you're out to lunch man. They can barely choose someone to run their damn party, bunch of corrupt assholes

People whining about vaccines are also out to lunch. We are a country with a nationalized health care system, the US does not. There is something called procurement, we must mitigate costs and be able to negotiate purchases at a reasonable amount. The EU went through the exact same process which stalled their vaccine rollout as well:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/why...es-51613051131

At the end of the day, if we spent more on vaccine doses, the Cons would come out saying we paid too much, Trudump wastes taxpayer funds, he bought the wrong ones, they're unproven, yadda yadda.

We take additional time to do proper procurement, to manage costs, and yet we're also a failure as a result.

You can't fucking win.
And Justin Timberlake says any extra vaccines will be donated to other countries. Hahahah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #9556
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
We've been in pseudo restriction mode for over a year now. Videos and images of Bats and people collapsing in city streets are a distant memory now. For the majority of people, 99% of interactions in public have been fine. We've seen many politicians publically skirt the same rules that they were recommending. We've seen little to no enforcement to parties and persons that don't follow the rules. Flights are operating and people are coming into the country. Government messaging has been a complete shitshow (back and forth on masks, 2 weeks to stop the virus, schools are fine/kids are low risk, vaccine efficacy & rollout has been a mess, small businesses are death traps but we're all okay to go to packed corporate stores, etc).

People are tired of the situation, and everyone seems to have accepted that the virus is now a part of our lives. Vaccine or not, the virus doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon (or it will go away when the Media stops covering it and moves on to something else). We are adapting to living with the virus now & accepting the consequences that come with it.
Who is this everyone?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #9557
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
should have stopped the incoming flights and closed the boarder to the US....how else are the variants getting in??
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #9558
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
should have stopped the incoming flights and closed the boarder to the US....how else are the variants getting in??
Flights are fine, but travellers need to quarantine. I heard many people say the same thing, that the people calling would call at a certain time so they made sure they were home then and the rest of the time they were not quarantining.

Basically, Canada and the provinces were slow to implement anything and didn't have the ballz to make the tough calls.

People were still travelling to the US/Mexico and other places for vacation. Heck, even the government's own ppl were going on vacation during Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #9559
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I don't see any mass reports of economic fallout or everyone loosing their homes in Australia, so I don't see why this approach isn't being used when it is proven to work.
If I remember right, it was projected ages ago that locking down hard and getting things under control was far better for the economy than what we've been doing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ we could have fucking won, if we did Australia and New Zealand full lock down for a month. Not hur durr we don't need masks, let's keep the malls open but you ppl are assholes for going to the mall for none essential services, we must keep schools open who cares if teachers or grandparents die, they don't contribute to the economy. We can't control you guys going to the island but here have more ferry sailings, we just advise that you guys don't go. It's not like we can do anything. Canada won't be pushed around so much if the gov isn't a bunch of pussies.

Why are we still dicking around with useless strategies that has proven to not work. O the numbers are going down guys let's have groups of ten, go out have dinner with your bubbles.
I see what you're saying, I do.

Australia and New Zealand are both smaller countries both in size and population, not only that, they are island nations which make such lockdowns all the more easier.

We unfortunately aren't the same geographically, island nations have done far better in curbing COVID, simply due to their geography, so I think it's unfair to compare us to them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...way-or-most-do

Honestly, I would never want to be the decision maker on this stuff. You leave things open, people freak out, you lock things down, as you've seen in this thread, people also go nuts.

I truly believe some folks just enjoy complaining for the sake of complaining.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #9561
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Haha people marching in the streets here making nazi comments about face masks and comparing our version of a lockdown (our version really stretches the definition of that word) to the gestappo... there’s zero chance all these entitled bitches in North America would have allowed a full out actual lockdown to occur.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #9562
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Island nation makes lockdown a tiny bit easier, but not much. In this day and age, everyone enters through the same ports: Airports, seaports, and a few land border crossings along the 49th. The only difference is the land crossings but...

Those are all CONTROLLED borders, whether there's a virus or not. We know EXACTLY who comes in, what country they're from, where they've been, etc. Nobody is sneaking across the border through the woods or across the great lakes, other than the smugglers who have been doing it all along

It would have been so simple. Not cheap, but simple for the govt to lease hotels in every major city and seal them off to visitors. Nobody is going to them anyway. If you have a good reason to be in Canada, when you cross the border you are taken to these hotels for 2 weeks. You get tested every day, and if you pass negative for 2 weeks, you can go about your way. If you test positive, you go to a more isolated quarantine facility. Eventually, relax this for certain countries like Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. Let those people quarantine at home. Yes some will break the quarantine, but the risk is lower.

Don't want to do this? Don't go to Canada. Are you a Canadian trying to get home and don't want to do this? Too bad, you shouldn't be traveling during a pandemic. Did you REALLY need to travel? Then be sure to account for a 2 week ACTUAL quarantine.

Do that. Allow restaurants to stay open in limited capacity. Only 2 people per table. Want to dine as a group? Get takeout and do it at home.

Enforce mask usage. I see them doing this for transit, but do it everywhere else indoors as well.

A month after this, Canada will be at like 100 cases a day, then 50, then 10. By then many people will have been vaccinated, and we can start moving to the next phase in life in dealing with this pandemic.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #9563
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

It would have been so simple. Not cheap, but simple for the govt to lease hotels in every major city and seal them off to visitors. Nobody is going to them anyway. If you have a good reason to be in Canada, when you cross the border you are taken to these hotels for 2 weeks. You get tested every day, and if you pass negative for 2 weeks, you can go about your way. If you test positive, you go to a more isolated quarantine facility. Eventually, relax this for certain countries like Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. Let those people quarantine at home. Yes some will break the quarantine, but the risk is lower.

Don't want to do this? Don't go to Canada. Are you a Canadian trying to get home and don't want to do this? Too bad, you shouldn't be traveling during a pandemic. Did you REALLY need to travel? Then be sure to account for a 2 week ACTUAL quarantine.
Canada implemented this sort of mandatory hotel stay period back in February (at the traveller's cost), they just need to stay in the hotel until they receive a negative molecular test, then they must carry out the rest of the 2 week quarantine at their end destination.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #9564

^ yes back in Feb, after more than one fucking year since the pandemic started, great job gov of Canada
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #9565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Canada implemented this sort of mandatory hotel stay period back in February (at the traveller's cost), they just need to stay in the hotel until they receive a negative molecular test, then they must carry out the rest of the 2 week quarantine at their end destination.
That's a decent policy (if a bit late), but the main problem is the fact that people can test negative for quite a while, and then test positive. They're finding positive tests after negative in quarantine here all the time. So much that they increased the period to 21 days (except SG, NZ, AUS which are 14 days).

Also how locked down are those hotels? Do they have to wear a wristband that must stay on for the duration of the quarantine? Over here you get a wrist band, and if you take it off you are sent to jail for a few days or weeks.

Sounds rough but for like the last 200 pages of this thread, people have been asking for tougher enforcement. If you want to see what tougher enforcement does, look here and Singapore (2 local cases yesterday, 1 in quarantine camp)

Enforcement was lax here at first too, but cases kept increasing. Once they nailed down the cheaters, things are under control.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #9566
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Enforcement was lax here at first too, but cases kept increasing. Once they nailed down the cheaters, things are under control.
Cases kept increasing in HK cuz Carrie Lam kept on fxxking up. What was she thinking when she refused to lock down the China-HK border? And then allowing ship crew members to come into HK without any means to control them while they're in HK? The so-called miniature community lockdowns and mandatory testing were ridiculous.

Hong Kongers have always managed to keep the pandemic under the lid so well. It ain't got anything to do with gov plans.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #9567
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Entering this thread i have learned 80% of revscene is a corona virus PHD expert with a degree from cnn

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #9568
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 405 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Entering this thread i have learned 80% of revscene is a corona virus PHD expert with a degree from cnn
I got mine from Facebook.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #9569
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Well, better that than the GOP or Fox News
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #9570

All you have to do is look at what the countries that are failing at controlling covid are doing, and compare it to the countries that are succeeding. Don't need a degree for that.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #9571

^^ it's more like this after hearing their daily briefings

You don't need a PhD to figure it out
Old 04-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #9572
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
BC reached 1 million vaccinations today. Not bad. 1/5 in BC.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #9573
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
"Dr Theresa Tam was named Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer on June 26, 2017. She is a physician with expertise in immunization, infectious disease, emergency preparedness and global health security."

Shes the same person that said "I don’t think there’s any reason for us to panic or be overly concerned" when she talked about corona virus from the beginning(Jan. 20th 2020). When an "expert" says that from the beginning and we look at where we are now compared to other countries. Of course were gonna question the leadership that has gotten us to this point. And this isnt hindsight, many people on revscene possibly 80% of them took this virus very seriously from the beginning and some of those people were pushing for lockdowns and our borders to be shut from the get go. She was initially against wearing masks aswell even though it was common sense to wear one. You would think this was her first day on the job but.....

"She has played a leadership role in Canada's response to public health emergencies including severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), pandemic influenza H1N1 and Ebola."

RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #9574
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,264 Times in 2,045 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Man, some one was asking earlier, mall food courts are all caution taped off. No sitting down, food stalls still open though. And malls be like HK, no places to sit anywhere!
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #9575
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,433 Times in 562 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Man, some one was asking earlier, mall food courts are all caution taped off. No sitting down, food stalls still open though. And malls be like HK, no places to sit anywhere!
Yea, one really doesn't notice the seats (or lack thereof) until you no longer have them. Shopping and just being out in HK is brutal not because of the heat, but there is literally no place to sit and rest. Wanna rest? Gotta pay up at a cafe or something
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: